Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th August 2017, 04:26   #44761  |  Link
JarrettH

Edit: Trying something...

Last edited by JarrettH; 18th August 2017 at 04:28.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 04:36   #44762  |  Link
JarrettH

Edit: I think Asmodian solved this on the next page

Well, I don't know what's wrong now. madvr is forcibly going into 59 hz no matter what. I've uninstalled it, reset default settings, made sure display mode switching is disabled, went back to 0.91.11. This only happens with full screen exclusive after the delay and doesn't revert to 60 hz when the player is closed. Display properties reports 59 hz while the nvidia control panel reports 60 hz. In windowed overlay it stays at 60 hz like it should.

Another observation

d3d9: switches to 59 hz in FSE, returning to windowed stays at 59 hz

d3d11: switches to 59 hz in FSE, returns to 60 hz in windowed

Last edited by JarrettH; 18th August 2017 at 05:32.
Old 18th August 2017, 05:15   #44763  |  Link
Oguignant

wow, this version is amazing... "Let madVR decide" HDR mode works perfectly on my TV (active and deactivates great), also, the performances of the render times (with the same configuration as the previous version) are much better, 5 or 7 ms less. Excellent that 10bit option works also in full screen non-exclusive mode too.

The only thing bad, the display of my laptop will not let me add another mode. He says "the GPU driver rejected this mode, for unknown reasons". Is a Intel HD 630...

I have a question, how can I create a 3DLut for HDR? I use CalMAN Home Theater. Someone knows?

Last edited by Oguignant; 18th August 2017 at 05:19.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 05:15   #44764  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Well, I don't know what's wrong now. madvr is forcibly going into 59 hz no matter what.
Are you using the "hack Direct3D to make 24.000Hz and 60.000Hz work"? It is under devices -> display -> display modes.
Old 18th August 2017, 05:26   #44765  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Are you using the "hack Direct3D to make 24.000Hz and 60.000Hz work"? It is under devices -> display -> display modes.
OMG I love you Asmodian

I didn't use it because I didn't understand what it's for.
Old 18th August 2017, 05:37   #44766  |  Link
Oguignant

Any way to activate the TV HDR from madTPG?
Old 18th August 2017, 05:43   #44767  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Actually it *is* set to be always on top! However, in fullscreen, it's possible that the media player (or even madVR) might try to make sure that the video surface is always on top, and if multiple windows are on top, only one can win.
Yes, it's only when video is set to always on top but every other window that madVR opens doesn't have a problem with this and pops on top even if the video is set to be always on top except this one window.

Quote:
Strange! I've just tested it here, and modifying the pixel clock works just fine here. Generally, the edit field is dropping back to the old value if interpreting your modified result failed for whatever reason. E.g. did you enter a "," for the decimal instead of a "."?
After deleting the custom mode from Nvidia Control Panel I tried again and this time it worked. Now it's in perfect 23.976hz mode. With no frame drops or repeats. Awesomeness!
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 05:45   #44768  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
I have a question, how can I create a 3dlut for hdr? I use CalMAN Home Theater. Someone knows?
I haven't been able to figure out how to get CalMAN to do it, all the HDR workflows are simply for adjusting display settings and it doesn't seem to pass any metadata to madTPG to trigger HDR.

If you enable Windows' HDR mode all the patterns rendered through madTPG are in the SDR range. Given the way HDR works there doesn't seem to be a good way to calibrate an HDR display for madVR with CalMAN.
Old 18th August 2017, 06:11   #44769  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
There is no "best" when it comes to the two error diffusion options. I have been a fan of ED1 on my recent IPS monitors, on my older one I prefered ED2. However, on my new OLED TV I prefer ordered dithering, after a lot of testing. I didn't expect it but I have to believe my eyes.
I use a JVC X9500 proj on a 145" diag curved scope screen, I cant see any difference when I test Ordered dithering, ED1 or ED2. Can you explain what I should be looking for when I test which dithering is best to use please?

I can go right up close to the screen to look if I know what I should be looking for?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 06:49   #44770  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Are you sure it's really 0.92.1? Did you replace "mvrSettings32/64.dll"? Maybe your browser gave you an old version of the zip?

Did a complete clean install, still the same problem. But I think it is the same problem like the one Manni has, as I am using an AVR between my HTPC and my TV too.

If I connect my htpc directly to my tv the display modes tab appears.

It's a Denon X4200W AVR in passthrough mode btw
Old 18th August 2017, 07:04   #44771  |  Link
Anima123

The new custom display modes does not work with Optimus yet?

When I'm trying to apply the modes, there's an error message with "The GPU driver rejected this mode, for unknown reasons". It behave the same way with the Intel's internal GPU.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 07:37   #44772  |  Link
Oguignant

Off topic. Hi, I need to buy a 4 "monitor 27" or more. Not for games, is for movis, image and content in general. What brand and model do you recommend? LG, Samsung, Dell?

I apologize, but I think here they should know a lot about quality monitors!

thks
Old 18th August 2017, 07:48   #44773  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

@ Madshi - nice work with the latest version!

Anyone else using the latest dslayer 32bit getting a kodi crash popup notice when stopping playback (hdr/non-hdr)?

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 07:48   #44774  |  Link
mparade

@madshi

Quote:
do those MKV files have a 3D marker in the MKV header somewhere? Or am I supposed to guess the 3D based on the resolution alone?
Yes, they do in "video stereo mode" tab. Full SBS containers are set to 1 by the software automatically used for encoding to HEVC and remuxing. I think you can use the resolution alone as well because that one is also so unique for 3D SBS, only featuring this stereoscopic mode. The resolution of such files are ranging from 3840x800p to 3840x1080p depending on how much of cropping (due to black bars at the top and bottom) is required before encoding. If madvr had access to file names you could use that one as well, e.g. via the file name itself madvr could suppose the mode of the content: Croods (2013).3D.SBS.mkv. Maybe, the easiest way would be to check the file name first and process accordingly.

In my opinion it should also be considered that such files may be wanted to display/process as 2D (only one side of frame would be processed/displayed by madvr) if required. It would be an option for the user. He/She could watch such videos as 3D/2D depending on the equipment they have by them at the moment.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you very much for your efforts in advance.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 08:01   #44775  |  Link
Asmodian

I bet Nvidia's API's don't work on Optimus systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
I use a JVC X9500 proj on a 145" diag curved scope screen, I cant see any difference when I test Ordered dithering, ED1 or ED2. Can you explain what I should be looking for when I test which dithering is best to use please?
Stick with ordered if you don't see any differences, at 8-bit any differences are very subtle, at 10-bit I have never noticed any differences at all. Also my verbiage for describing what I think the differences are starts sounding like audiophiles talking about sound which I find unhelpful and embarrassing.

Or, if you need extra heat in your projector room, set your display to a very low bit-depth, like 4-bit, and decide based on that (with the dithering trade quality for performance option disabled, that feature is much more important at low bit depths).
Old 18th August 2017, 09:16   #44776  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Is image doubling worth for 1.5 upscaling?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 09:17   #44777  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Is image doubling worth for 1.5 upscaling?
Turn it on, judge image quality, decide?
We can't tell you if you will perceive a difference, only you can figure that out. It can greatly depend on the quality of your screen and your eyes.

In theory there is a difference, but if its "worth" it is up to you.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 18th August 2017 at 09:21.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 09:29   #44778  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
how about some even more advanced test.

like frame skipping: https://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

or a test to check if a TV has a properly working 23p mode.

you use the same test and check the brightness of the squares. it should be very obvious on a TV that is doing a 3:2 pullup.
Yeah, but the purpose of the tutorial is not to explain everything about everything. How to test if playback is smooth or not is a topic on its own. The tutorial only tries to explain how to create custom modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Even with no custom res from the standalone experimental tool, the tab was missing.

So I connected the PJ directly to the GPU momentarily, and the tab appeared, so it looks like it doesn't like it when an AVR is in the chain, even if the AVR reports a populated EDID block.
Ok, will have to look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I also tried 3D without FSE without an AVR in the chain and without any custom timings, and it definitely doesn't work here. The picture isn't corrupted/with weird colors as earlier, but it's 2D (no 3D at all) even if the OSD reports 3D windowed.
OMGosh. I'm not sure if it's the new Nvidia drivers or Windows 10, but I can't get 3D to work *at all* on my PC now, using my Nvidia 1070. Activating 3D in the OS control panel doesn't do squat. Trying to activate 3D in the Nvidia control panel is painful, it opens up a new window, which then crashes. There's a reason why I recommend people to stick to Windows 8.1. Unfortunately nobody seems to be listening to me. Personally, I'd have loved to stay on Windows 8.1, but I had to switch to Windows 10 because of my commercial work.

When using the AMD GPU, 3D still works fine here, even in windowed mode. But in contrast to Windows 8.1, now it only works properly on the primary monitor. In Windows 8.1 is worked fine on secondary, too. Once again, Windows 8.1 beats Windows 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
I did the first optimization run for the 2160p23 resolution. Everything went fine but when using the resolution and the same video file, windowed fullscreen reports a frame repeat every 5 minutes and fullscreen exclusive reports a frame repeat every 65/70 minutes. Clock deviations are the same.
After how many minutes of measurement do you get these results? These drop/repeat estimates need a long time to become reliable.

I'm not completely sure yet if custom modes are generally effective for D3D11 FSE mode. Have you tried D3D9 FSE mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
When playing a 23.976 video madvr reports "display 59.933 hz" and "composition rate 59.940 hz". Since I already have these modes listed and not missing, should I further optimize the 59 hz one or is it already perfect? The EDID for 59 hz "results in 59.93939 hz". Just now I played a 23.976 video for 40 minutes uninterrupted resulting in 1 frame repeat every 6.50 minutes.
If your display can't do 23p, then you're probably using smooth motion? In that case custom modes are not needed for you, neither is Reclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
I'm trying this, but I have a 4K TV with profiles and a 1080P monitor, however the custom dialog only appears for the 1080P monitor, and not the 4K TV (where it would count), with profiles, I see it appear and then disappear just as fast.
Does the "identification" tab for the 4K TV contain an EDID block with raw data? If so, is it directly connected to your PC, or is there an AVR in between?

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
on the HTPC, I can not get custom to display for the TV, only for the monitor, it might have to do with profiles, but I have 8 and do not want to loss them unless there is no other choice.
Are the profiles inside of the "device" section? Are they covering the "diaplay modes" tab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Getting random crashes of madvr and lock ups of MPC-HC with the new madvr.

Also, deinterlacing doesn't work with the new DX11 renderer.

Using NGU for Chroma causes it to crash as well. Didn't try the upscaling as I never use anything but Jinc for all my scaling needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Similar here. PotPlayer + madVR + LAV.... Files in play list play fine, but the player crashes (sometimes it's madVR) as soon as it moves on to the next file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Anyone else using the latest dslayer 32bit getting a kodi crash popup notice when stopping playback (hdr/non-hdr)?
Ok guys, but I can't magically fix crashes if I can't reproduce them, and if you don't provide any crash information! Do you get a crash box like this?

http://madshi.net/exc-ss3.gif

If so, please upload the crash report for me to look at. You can do that by pressing the "show bug report" button, then press "Ctrl+C" to copy the bug report to the clipboard.

Quote:
"Let madVR decide" HDR mode works perfectly on my TV (active and deactivates great), also, the performances of the render times (with the same configuration as the previous version) are much better, 5 or 7 ms less. Excellent that 10bit option works also in full screen non-exclusive mode too.
Glad to hear that!

Quote:
The only thing bad, the display of my laptop will not let me add another mode. He says "the GPU driver rejected this mode, for unknown reasons". Is a Intel HD 630...
Intel GPU driver bug, probably.

Quote:
Any way to activate the TV HDR from madTPG?
Not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Yes, it's only when video is set to always on top but every other window that madVR opens doesn't have a problem with this and pops on top even if the video is set to be always on top except this one window.
Strange. Will check if I can reproduce that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
After deleting the custom mode from Nvidia Control Panel I tried again and this time it worked. Now it's in perfect 23.976hz mode. With no frame drops or repeats. Awesomeness!
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Did a complete clean install, still the same problem. But I think it is the same problem like the one Manni has, as I am using an AVR between my HTPC and my TV too.

If I connect my htpc directly to my tv the display modes tab appears.

It's a Denon X4200W AVR in passthrough mode btw
But the "display modes" is not listed twice, anymore?

It seems the custom modes tab currently doesn't like AVRs. Will have to fix that for the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
The new custom display modes does not work with Optimus yet?

When I'm trying to apply the modes, there's an error message with "The GPU driver rejected this mode, for unknown reasons". It behave the same way with the Intel's internal GPU.
I think Optimus always runs through the Intel GPU for final output, so this will only work if the Intel GPU drivers work correctly. Unfortunately they're mostly broken for custom resolutions. I'm trying to get them fixed, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Yes, they do in "video stereo mode" tab. Full SBS containers are set to 1 by the software automatically used for encoding to HEVC and remuxing.
Ok, that should make it easier. Well, your feature request has already been on my to do list for a long time, and of course it's still there. It's just not a high priority atm.

Can you provide me with a small sample? Then I'll have something to test with, whever I get around to implementing support for that.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 09:49   #44779  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

"Ok guys, but I can't magically fix crashes if I can't reproduce them, and if you don't provide any crash information! Do you get a crash box like this?

http://madshi.net/exc-ss3.gif"

Yes, showing Kodi - extract from crash log for Kodi:

date/time : 2017-08-18, 09:47:04, 834ms
computer name : DESKTOP
user name : k
operating system : Windows 10 x64 build 14393
system language : English
system up time : 1 day 21 hours
program up time : 19 seconds
processors : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
physical memory : 11270/16351 MB (free/total)
free disk space : (C 230.43 GB
display mode : 3840x2160, 32 bit
process id : $1fbc
allocated memory : 624.13 MB
largest free block : 129798.70 GB
executable : kodi.exe
current module : MADHCNET64.DLL
module date/time : 2015-11-18 21:01
version : 1.0.17.12
compiled with : Delphi XE7
madExcept version : 4.0.13
callstack crc : $2246ee6b, $486a5104, $51cf3013
count : 10
madVR version : 0.92.1
exception number : 1
exception class : Exception
exception message : Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse $4a4cd55e in Modul 'madVR64.ax'. Lesen von Adresse $13424a09244.

UpdateHdrPresentationThread ($153c):
4a4cd55e +1e madVR64.ax settings.cpp 4124 +2 CSettings.UpdateHdrPresentation
4a40f507 +67 madVR64.ax direct3d.cpp 4966 +8 UpdateHdrPresentationThread
7ff859ac +0e KERNEL32.DLL BaseThreadInitThunk
7ff85a63 +1b ntdll.dll RtlUserThreadStart

Using Google Translate, the error appears to be "Access violation at address $ 4a4cd55e in module 'madVR64.ax'. Read address $ 13424a09244"

Hope it helps, and I have tested on both 32 and 64 bit (64bit log extract above)

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 18th August 2017 at 09:53.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 09:53   #44780  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
After how many minutes of measurement do you get these results? These drop/repeat estimates need a long time to become reliable.

I'm not completely sure yet if custom modes are generally effective for D3D11 FSE mode. Have you tried D3D9 FSE mode?
I let the movie run for 2/3min. The thing is that, while the movie is playing, if I switch from wfs to fse in the settings, the frame repeat/drop stat immediatly updates to a value coherent with the optimization done previously and with the clock deviation. It's as if the wfs mode wasn't taking into account the new custom mode, even if the madvr settings indicates it is currently active. I did not tinker with custom modes in the nvidia cpl, I'm currently on a fresh driver install.I do however have an AVR in my display chain, not sure if this could have an impact ..

I did not try to use D3D9 FSE. I will test further this weekend and report my findings.
Media setup: MPC-BE x64, madvr, lav filters (nightly)
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling