Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 15th October 2017, 07:31   #4921  |  Link
Megalith

Is there any way to demux an .mpls file with MKVToolNix? I know there are other tools (eac3to, tsMuxeR) for that, but they do not seem to handle UHD Blu-ray files correctly.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:59   #4922  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You can first mux using mkvmerge, then demux that using mkvextract. Direct conversion from mpls to "raw" (non-mkv) formats in a single step is not supported.
Old 15th October 2017, 19:05   #4923  |  Link
DMD

Also I thank very much for solving the VC1 codec problem.
Old 16th October 2017, 01:33   #4924  |  Link
Megalith

Thank you.

MKVToolNix appears to be creating corrupt MKVs when I try to mux "raw" Blu-ray UHD files (h265/HEVC). If I try to create/mux an MKV with an MPLS as the source file, the result seems to be fine. I am not sure whether this is an issue with the extraction software I am using (eac3to) or MKVToolNix...
Old 16th October 2017, 17:05   #4925  |  Link
mkver

Does the raw HEVC stream play properly? Does ffmpeg complain about something when you decode it with it (you can use the null muxer to test this)? If the answer to these two questions is no, then it's probably a bug in MKVToolNix and you should open an issue on github; if it is no, then it's probably a bug in eac3to. In any case, a sample (of the relevant m2ts file) would be nice.
Old 16th October 2017, 21:17   #4926  |  Link
Bozotheclown

Hi,

Thx for this great soft.
Little suggestion about versioning:
Maybe is worth to considering "year.month.hot fix no." for release numbering, as example:
ver 17.10.0 - version form year 2017.Oct.Hotfix0

Question about updating:
It is possible to implement auto update from application?
Now is info about new version and user need to go to web page for download.
Old 17th October 2017, 08:01   #4927  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Date-based version numbers have no more real advantages than any other type of arbitrary versioning scheme. The only property that's really important is that newer versions have higher version numbers. What I especially dislike about date-based version numbers is that you have to make up exceptions on the spot in cases where two or more releases happen within the same timeframe (e.g. two regular releases in one month; in your proposed scheme I would have to mark one of them as… a hotfix? Even though it isn't?). So no, I won't change to something like that.

I have zero interest in implementing an auto updater.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 17th October 2017, 21:47   #4928  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Mosu

I am confused, some people say, that they can extract Dolby Vision layer via MKVToolNix.

So there is possibility to use MKVToolNix on m2ts file, which has got Dolby Vision and make it mkv file with specified tracks and remain Dolby Vision?

I would be glad for your reply.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 17th October 2017 at 21:50.
Old 17th October 2017, 22:58   #4929  |  Link
sneaker_ger

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...49#post1821449
Old 19th October 2017, 09:41   #4930  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Its a damn shame
Old 22nd October 2017, 13:55   #4931  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

I have used mkvmerge and have created .mkv file with --compression set to none for video and audio tracks. Please look below for mkvmerge --identify and eac3to identify of those .mkv files.

First .mkv file:

Quote:
[mkvmerge]
File 'THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS [2017] [2160P].mkv': container: Matroska
Track ID 0: video (MPEG-H/HEVC/h.265)
Track ID 1: video (MPEG-H/HEVC/h.265)
Track ID 2: audio (DTS-HD Master Audio)

[eac3to]
MKV, 2 video tracks, 1 audio track, 2:15:58, 24p /1.001
1: h265/HEVC, English, 2160p24 /1.001 (16:9), 10 bits
2: h265/HEVC, English, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9), 10 bits - Dolby Vision Enhancement Layer
3: DTS Master Audio, English, 7.1 channels, 24 bits, 48kHz (core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 1509kbps, 48kHz)
Second .mkv file:

Quote:
[mkvmerge]
File 'TRANSFORMERS - THE LAST KNIGHT [2017] [2160P].mkv': container: Matroska
Track ID 0: video (MPEG-H/HEVC/h.265)
Track ID 1: video (MPEG-H/HEVC/h.265)
Track ID 2: audio (TrueHD Atmos)

[eac3to]
MKV, 2 video tracks, 1 audio track, 2:34:39, 24p /1.001
1: h265/HEVC, English, 2160p24 /1.001 (16:9), 10 bits
2: h265/HEVC, English, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9), 10 bits - Dolby Vision Enhancement Layer
3: TrueHD (Atmos), English, 7.1 channels, 48kHz, 32ms
1. My question is related with (core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 1509kbps, 48kHz) in the first .mkv file on audio track. In the second .mkv file there is no core embedded with TrueHD Atmos, why? Source disk has got core embedded in this audio track. If mkvmerge removes core embedded in TrueHD Atmos and doesn't for DTS-HD Master Audio? I use command line with mkvmerge. Are there any options in command line to use mkvmerge to create audio tracks without core embedded?

2. My second question is related with DTS:X, which should be in THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS [2017] [2160P].mkv and it's identified in mkvmerge and eac3to as Track ID 2: audio (DTS-HD Master Audio). Why it's not properly identified?

3. mkvmerge also doesn't identify Track ID 1: video (MPEG-H/HEVC/h.265) as Dolby Vision Enhancement Layer like eac3to.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 22nd October 2017 at 14:01.
Old 22nd October 2017, 14:09   #4932  |  Link
sneaker_ger

1. DTS and Dolby work differently. https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolni...rueHD-and-AC-3
2. Probably no detection implemented but works anyways? Wait for Mosu to answer ...
3. Like already said two posts above: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...49#post1821449

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
I have used mkvmerge and have created .mkv file with --compression set to none for video and audio tracks.
Extra compression is off by default for video and audio anyways. Only active for certain subtitle formats. (And has nothing to do with core or similar. Extra compression is lossless.)

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 22nd October 2017 at 14:11.
Old 22nd October 2017, 14:25   #4933  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

DTS:X identification isn't all that easy, it seems. It's not implemented in mkvmerge. There was some work on it by Konablend that resulted in a pull request, but his changes resulted in other bugs. It wasn't polished to the point where it could be included in mkvmerge.

Old 22nd October 2017, 14:53   #4934  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

OK, I understand. I wish it would be identified as DTS:X in the future version. I cross my fingers about it.

As far as I understand English, Dolby Atmos/TrueHD cannot have core track in single track, while DTS:X can. So mkvmerge creating .mkv file with Dolby Atmos/TrueHD track it removes all core tracks, so there is only Dolby Atmos/TrueHD and if I will try to play it on the device, which hasn't got Dolby Atmos/TrueHD support, I will not hear anything, right?

The other situation is with DTS:X, which has got core track in a single file, right? My question is, I don't care to have core tracks with my DTS:X. Are there any possibility to remove those core tracks from DTS:X, to have only DTS:X track without core? If it's possible may you be so kind and write, what options with mkvmerge should I add to create .mkv file without core tracks in DTS:X or DTS-MA?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 22nd October 2017 at 14:55.
Old 22nd October 2017, 14:57   #4935  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
So mkvmerge creating .mkv file with Dolby Atmos/TrueHD track it removes all core tracks, so there is only Dolby Atmos/TrueHD and if I will try to play it on the device, which hasn't got Dolby Atmos/TrueHD support, I will not hear anything, right?
Like the FAQ said: mkvmerge will split AC3 core and TrueHD into two tracks. You can keep the AC3 core track for compatibility if you want - or not if you don't want. That's your choice.

Quote:
The other situation is with DTS:X, which has got core track in a single file, right? My question is, I don't care to have core tracks with my DTS:X. Are there any possibility to remove those core tracks from DTS:X, to have only DTS:X track without core?
Not possible. DTS MUST have core. It cannot be removed.
Old 22nd October 2017, 21:48   #4936  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

are there any specifications on how dolby vision can be used inside the matroska container format? if not, would it be possible to add those in the future?
Old 22nd October 2017, 21:53   #4937  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

There aren't. After what I've read over how DV can be stored in completely separate sub-streams and how complex the whole DV stuff is, I highly doubt you'll see DV-in-Matroska specs any time soon, if ever.

Contributions and people working on such specs would be highly appreciated.

Old 22nd October 2017, 22:14   #4938  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I see you've changed from "timecode" to "timestamp" in lots of mkvtoolnix parts but is it intentional even for the timecode files outputted by mkvextract? Having the first line of such a file say "# timecode format v2" is kind of an established format in use by lots of other programs as well and now they don't read them anymore (and I assume mkvmerge also won't read anymore?). Of course it's easy to edit but still ...
Old 22nd October 2017, 22:18   #4939  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Yes, that change was intentional. mkvmerge will read both the old and the new format line, just as it will still accept "--timecodes …" as a command-line argument even though it was renamed to "--timestamps …".

As this was a format invented by me for use with mkvmerge, and as I've never had any intention of it being some kind of standard format, I don't consider other applications to be a concern of mine. If you need the format changed, use a small oneliner script such as this one:
Code:
perl -pi -e 's/timestamp/timecode/' yourfile.txt

Old 22nd October 2017, 23:01   #4940  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Contributions and people working on such specs would be highly appreciated.
arent such specifications always agreed upon by a large group of people and such? can individuals actually define a standard on their own?