Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 24th September 2011, 13:59   #1001  |  Link
nautilus7

I've uploaded a sample (m2ts file) where mkvmerge can't detect the video stream inside.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:10   #1002  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v5.0.0 released

Hey,

I've released mkvtoolnix v5.0.0. It's a release with a lot of small bug fixes, but it also features support for MPEG transport streams.

Change for package maintainers: Building against external versions of libEBML and libMatroska is possible again. libEBML 1.2.2 and libMatroska 1.3.0 are required. If they're not found or too old then the internal versions will be used and linked statically.

Here are the usual links: the home page, the source code and the Windows installer and 7zip archive.

All of the binaries that I provide myself are already available.

Here's the full ChangeLog since release 4.9.1:

Quote:
2011-09-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v5.0.0.
* build system: libEBML 1.2.2 and libMatroska 1.3.0 are required for building. If external versions are not found or if they're too old then the included versions will be used as a fallback.

2011-09-21 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The "writing application" element will not be localized but always be written in English.

2011-09-20 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: MPEG TS: mkvmerge will extract the track languages from a corresponding clpi (clip info) file. That file is searched for in the same directory and in ../CLIPINF and must have the same base name but with the ".clpi" extension.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Added new stereo mode options to match the current specs. The new options are "anaglyph_green_magenta" (12), "both_eyes_laced_left_first" (13) and "both_eyes_laced_right_first" (14).
* mkvmerge: The --stereo-mode named option "anaglyph" was renamed to "anaglyph_cyan_red" to match the specs. The numerical value (10) remains unchanged.

2011-09-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvextract: bug fix: Fixed attachment number displayed during extraction. Fix for bug 663.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: MPEG TS: Added support for HDMV PGS subtitles.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: MPEG TS: Added support for DTS HD Master Audio tracks.

2011-09-17 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: MPEG TS: Streams that are mentioned in the PMT but do not actually contain data are neither reported during identification nor muxed.

2011-09-14 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: MPEG TS: Added support for reading the language code.

2011-09-13 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: Added MPEG transport streams to the "add file" dialog file selector.
* mkvmerge: new feature: MPEG TS: Added support for normal DTS tracks.
* mkvmerge: Tons of fixes and additions to the MPEG transport stream demuxer.

2011-09-10 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* build system: configure will accept external versions of libEBML and libMatroska again. Minimum required versions are libEBML 1.2.1 and libMatroska 1.1.0.

2011-09-07 DenB <denb10@free.fr>
* All: Updated the French translation with a complete set by DenB (see AUTHORS).

2011-09-05 Cosme Domínguez <cosme.ddiaz@gmail.com>
* mmg: mmg respects the XDG Base Directory Specification regarding its configuration files (environment variable $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mkvtoolnix if set, otherwise ~/.config/mkvtoolnix).

2011-08-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* all: Added an Lithuanian translation by Mindaugas Baranauskas (see AUTHORS).

2011-08-14 Massimo Callegari <massimocallegari@yahoo.it>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Implemented a MPEG transport stream demuxer.

2011-08-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: When looking for MPEG files with the same base name as a source file mkvmerge will be stricter what it accepts. The file name must consist of at least one char followed by "-" or "_" followed by a number. That will match VTS_01_1.VOB but not e.g. "some_series_s03e10.mpg".

2011-07-31 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Opening MPEG files with numbers in their name from folders with e.g. Cyrillic names failed on Windows.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Several elements are not written when creating WebM compliant files. In the segment headers: SegmentUID, SegmentFamily, ChapterTranslate, PreviousSegmentUID, NextSegmentUID. In the track headers: MinCache, MaxCache and MaxBlockAdditionID.

2011-07-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Sped up file identification by caching read operations.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed identifying QuickTime/MP4 files that start with a 'skip' atom.

2011-07-13 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed a crash when reading AVI files with DTS audio tracks that do not contain valid headers in the first couple of packets. Fix for bug 646.
Have fun.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 27th September 2011, 03:06   #1003  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Quote:
I've released mkvtoolnix v5.0.0.
Old 27th September 2011, 03:54   #1004  |  Link
b66pak

thanks a lot...
_
Old 1st October 2011, 15:46   #1005  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

People,
I have a Matroska file, extracted from my DVD. It has a spanish subtitle (the only available), and it's some american production. However, I understand english (not my native language), but I don't want this subtitle to be loaded when I open the file with MPC-HC. I mean, I want the subtitle track to be there, but I want it to be disabled by default, so we have to select in MPC to be displayed.

Can you tell me which option should I choose?

Quote:
Default track flag:

1) Default
2) Yes
3) No
And what about "Forced track flag - yes or no?" what is this thing?
Old 1st October 2011, 15:57   #1006  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Set "default track" to "no" for all subtitle tracks. Leave "forced track" at "default" (resulting in no track having "forced" set by default).

"Default" tells the player that a track should be displayed.

"Forced" means that it must be displayed (e.g. for an English film this could be used for English subtitles tracks that only show a translation if one of the character is speaking a non-English sentence, e.g. Legolas speaking Elfish in "The Lord of the Rings").

Old 1st October 2011, 16:39   #1007  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Set "default track" to "no" for all subtitle tracks. Leave "forced track" at "default" (resulting in no track having "forced" set by default).
And what if this is the only subtitle track? Should I set "Forced track flag" to no as well?

In this case, I want the player to not display the subtitle track, unless I tell otherwise, so it should be disabled by default.
Old 1st October 2011, 16:52   #1008  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Like I said, leave the "forced" flag at anything but "yes".

Old 2nd October 2011, 09:00   #1009  |  Link
Chetwood

I'm sorry but I also still don't get the difference. You say that "Default" tells the player that a track should be displayed. Now if I set the forced flag to default, would it display the sub or not. And if only yes will set the forced flag, what's the use of having the setting default? Maybe I'm confused by the way it works on DVDs where one can set a track to default but off which won't display any sub initially. but will start cycling at this particular track, once they get enabled via remote.

Also, if I mux an mkv with 2 audio and subtitle streams (de/en) and don't want any sub to be displayed upon playback, what flags do I set? Default track to default? Would it make a difference to set it to no?

And what if I do have Elvish? Do I need to set both default track and forced to "yes". Or does the forced flag override the default flag?

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:32   #1010  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Leaving a flag (no matter which flag) on the "default" settings means the decision whether or not it should be set is up to mkvmerge. mkvmerge usually takes the information provided by the source container into account. For some flag types (especially the "default track" flag) there are other considerations as well.

Setting a flag to "no" will force mkvmerge not to set that flag, no matter what those other considerations would have done and no matter what the source container provided for that flag.

For the "default track" flag: The special consideration is that mkvmerge will automatically set this flag to "yes" for exactly one track of each track type (audio, video, subtitles). You can only prevent this by explicitly setting the "default track" flag to "no" manually for all tracks of a kind (e.g. for all subtitle tracks).

The "default track" flag tells the player that this track should be played unless the user overrides that decision somehow. You usually mark the original audio track with "default track" and leave it off for the rest of them, e.g. for the director's commentary or some translations you don't want (e.g. Lord of the Rings, mark "English" as "default track" but not "German" and "Director's comments (English)").

As a lot of users don't want subtitles shown by default they tell mkvmerge not to set the "default track" flag for any subtitle track.

Now on to the "forced display" flag, in short "forced". If this is set to "on" then this track must be played/shown no matter what the user selected for his preferences or what the player would normally chose to show/play. This is used seldom, e.g. only for a subtitle track that only contains the English translation whenever Legolas is talking Elbish.

"Forced" has nothing to do with "default track". If "forced" is set the player must play that track no matter what "default track" is set to. In fact normally a track that has "forced" set does not have "default track" set, though it is neither invalid nor undefined behavior.

Old 3rd October 2011, 08:29   #1011  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Leaving a flag (no matter which flag) on the "default" settings means the decision whether or not it should be set is up to mkvmerge. mkvmerge usually takes the information provided by the source container into account.
Ok, but since I'm using demuxed streams as source there is no container and thus no information provided. How will mmg decide then?

Quote:
For the "default track" flag: The special consideration is that mkvmerge will automatically set this flag to "yes" for exactly one track of each track type (audio, video, subtitles).
Always for the first audio and the first subtitle stream or how does mmg decide?

Quote:
You can only prevent this by explicitly setting the "default track" flag to "no" manually for all tracks of a kind (e.g. for all subtitle tracks).
Right, so if I have subs but don't want them to be displayed automatically, I'd set the "default track" flag not to "default" but to "no".

Quote:
The "default track" flag tells the player that this track should be played unless the user overrides that decision somehow.
Which can also be overwritten by the player's setting.

Quote:
You usually mark the original audio track with "default track" and leave it off for the rest of them, e.g. for the director's commentary or some translations you don't want (e.g. Lord of the Rings, mark "English" as "default track" but not "German" and "Director's comments (English)").
So the "default track" flag is set to "yes" for the original audio track and set to "no" for the director's commentary? Sorry, this double "default" is strangely confusing to me

Quote:
"Forced" has nothing to do with "default track". If "forced" is set the player must play that track no matter what "default track" is set to. In fact normally a track that has "forced" set does not have "default track" set, though it is neither invalid nor undefined behavior.
I always thought setting the "default track" flag to yes would only be reinforced by the "forced" flag. But if one track is default and another is forced, the latter will be displayed.

MultiShrink
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:42   #1012  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetwood View Post
Ok, but since I'm using demuxed streams as source there is no container and thus no information provided. How will mmg decide then?
First, it's not mmg that decides but mkvmerge.

Second, if the source container does not provide that information then it is ignored.

Quote:
Always for the first audio and the first subtitle stream or how does mmg decide?
Video as well. The algorithm is a bit more complex. For each track the decision is made somewhat like this:

1. Is "no" set on the command line? Set flag to "no".
2. Is "yes" set on the command line? If so and if no previous track of this kind has been set to "yes" from the command line then set flag to "yes". Otherwise continue in the evaluation process.
3. Does source container provide "no"? Set flag to "no".
4. Does source container provide "yes"? If so and if no previous track of this kind has been set to "yes" either from the command line or from its source container then set flag to "yes". Otherwise continue in the evaluation process.
5. Has the flag NOT been set to "yes" for any other track of this kind encountered so far? Set flag to "yes".
6. Set flag to "no".

Quote:
Right, so if I have subs but don't want them to be displayed automatically, I'd set the "default track" flag not to "default" but to "no".
Which can also be overwritten by the player's setting.
So the "default track" flag is set to "yes" for the original audio track and set to "no" for the director's commentary? Sorry, this double "default" is strangely confusing to me
Correct.

Quote:
I always thought setting the "default track" flag to yes would only be reinforced by the "forced" flag. But if one track is default and another is forced, the latter will be displayed.
Not really. You're assuming that only one track can be displayed for each track type. This is not the case in general. Therefore the Matroska specs don't say "if one track has 'forced' set then only display this track". They only say that this track must be displayed; they don't prohibit another track of its kind of being displayed at the same time.

Old 4th October 2011, 09:57   #1013  |  Link
Chetwood

Thanks for clearing that up. Another question: how can I determine whether an MKV was muxed with header compression set to on? I've muxed two test files, one with this setting on, the other off. Both have the same size. I'm trying to determin, why some muxed files playback on DVBViewer and others have no sound.

MultiShrink
Old 4th October 2011, 10:02   #1014  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

This question has been asked and answered in this thread numerous times already, e.g. in http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...on#post1514173

Old 4th October 2011, 13:17   #1015  |  Link
Chetwood

Right. So if Muxing mode : Header stripping means, header compression is on, I'm out of luck because this setting is not set in my new muxings and yet I don't get sound on playback with DVBViewer.

BTW, the mouseover translation of the "Wegen potenziell..." checkbox in mmg 5.0 is missing a "t" in "warnt".

MultiShrink
Old 6th October 2011, 06:40   #1016  |  Link
TechnoPhil

Hi Guys,
i would like to ask if it is possible to find a .dmg version for MacOs of the new MKVToolnix version (ver.5).
I need the newer version on my Mac because it supports MPEG transport streams (.ts or .m2ts files)!

Actually this is the last version form Mac: http://jonthn.free.fr/MKVtoolnix/Mkv...-intel-ppc.dmg

Anyone can help me? Maybe the author "j0nthn" ?

Best regards.

Filippo

Last edited by TechnoPhil; 6th October 2011 at 08:34.
Old 6th October 2011, 08:21   #1017  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Speaking only for myself: I don't support Mac OS. I just link to others providing images/build scripts/whatever. Which translates into "I don't know".

The Macports project seems to have updated already.

Old 6th October 2011, 08:33   #1018  |  Link
TechnoPhil

Thank you for your answer!
I am waiting for "j0nthn" answer, maybe he's going to publish an update for the Mac version.

I know that MacPorts is up to date, but would prefer the .dmg version!
Old 7th October 2011, 06:39   #1019  |  Link
TechnoPhil

Quote:
Speaking only for myself: I don't support Mac OS. I just link to others providing images/build scripts/whatever. Which translates into "I don't know".

The Macports project seems to have updated already.
Hi!
Can you suggest me how to contact "j0nthn"?
I tried by email and here in this forum, but i did not received an answer yet
Old 7th October 2011, 08:22   #1020  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

No, sorry.

Closed Thread