Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd March 2021, 20:49   #61301  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
It works fine with them. It just ignores the DV data and uses the HDR10 data.
Well, yea, that I very much doubt was the question they were asking.
Old 4th March 2021, 04:43   #61302  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
I'm now planning to buy a new PC and would appreciate guidance on what configuration would offer the best madVR performance without causing much fan noise. Would a GPU that's more powerful than madVR requires run more quietly than a lower powered GPU that just meets madVR's high end needs?
It's mostly about the cooler, but a more efficient card also will do more work for less heat. If you can get them, a midrange AMD 6000 or Nvidia 3000 should do the trick, but they're extremely hard to get right now. You'll likely be fine with a 1650 Super or something like that, but previous gens don't support HDMI 2.1 so that might be a consideration.

Years ago I used to buy low-mid-range cards (about maybe 70-100W) and replace their coolers with an Accelero S1 so I could run them fanless. After that I just got lazy and the last midrange card I used is a GTX 1650 Super with a pretty basic cooler and it's kinda noisy. Something like an Accelero Mono Plus should work fine for midrange cards. It should still be better than most coolers that come with such cards. You can probably get one with a very nice big cooler included but they're usually more expensive as well.

The thing is that low-midrange cards tend to have low to midrange coolers. I recently could get a 3070 FE and it's silent when running madVR and 4k HDR content because the card is overkill for video, thus its higher TDP cooler doesn't even break a sweat. In fact the fans don't even turn on when playing video at all.

But of course that's a way overkill way to go silent if you're only doing video and not playing games.
Old 4th March 2021, 11:59   #61303  |  Link
haggis999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
.....The thing is that low-midrange cards tend to have low to midrange coolers. I recently could get a 3070 FE and it's silent when running madVR and 4k HDR content because the card is overkill for video, thus its higher TDP cooler doesn't even break a sweat. In fact the fans don't even turn on when playing video at all.

But of course that's a way overkill way to go silent if you're only doing video and not playing games.
Thanks, Andy. That's very useful information. There are two PCs in our main living room (neither of which can cope with any serious use of madVR). One is an Intel NUC that serves as an HTPC and which runs very quietly in a corner away from the seating area. The other is an older Dell Precision Workstation and is my primary computer. It's closer to where we sit, but is normally idle and silent when we are watching the TV. That's the PC I'm intending to replace, so a low fan noise level would be very important to me when using madVR on this new machine.

Do the fans on your 3070 FE start running when madVR is at its highest settings? For example, I'm assuming that using it to upscale HD to 4k would be more demanding than running native 4k with HDR.
haggis999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 13:10   #61304  |  Link
Dogway

I have an issue where HDR videos trigger my display into HDR mode, despite having set a rule to tonemap HDR content... This happens like 50% of times, not always.

Also I've been wondering, there are lots of 1080p content, as it has managed to become a standard for videos now for some years. Meanwhile 4K is now the de facto resolution for Smart TVs, despite lack of 4K content (only a few UHDs and a few non-upscaled games).
2160p being double the size per dimension of 1080p I thought it could be a great idea to have an static option for nearest neighbour as it just takes a single integer scaling. This means less PC resources and power consumption and unadulterated 1080p image quality.
NGU can look nice on digital camera films where there's lack of grain, but films before 2005 where grain is common turn into a grain smear fest, not unlike some FFT based denoisers. Looking forward to set up some rules with nearest neighbour.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 16:02   #61305  |  Link
mclingo

if you have "output video in HDR format" unticked in devices settings for your display it should never output in HDR mode and therefore not trigger the TV's HDR mode surely?

Last edited by mclingo; 4th March 2021 at 16:27.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 17:52   #61306  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
I have an issue where HDR videos trigger my display into HDR mode, despite having set a rule to tonemap HDR content... This happens like 50% of times, not always.
I have the same issue. Please list your OS/build/GPU/driver/driver options/madVR build.

If you're on nVidia ampere with the latest driver, try to disable d3d11 so that madVR uses d3d9. That resolved weird color issues as well as the random HDR output when it should be always SDR.

Until recently using a pre-461.09 driver (I was using 460.89) allowed to prevent this, but now even using this older driver doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
if you have "output video in HDR format" unticked in devices settings for your display it should never output in HDR mode and therefore not trigger the TV's HDR mode surely?
Unfortunately it does that here, as well as other things, especially when using D3D11.

I never had these issues with d3d11 before upgrading to Ampere, but it could also be 20H2 and/or a driver issue.

A lot of issues are config/GPU/OS/driver specific.

d3d9 works fine, but I lose BD Menus in jRiver (hence reliable forced subtitles with BD folders) which is a shame.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 4th March 2021 at 17:54.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 19:46   #61307  |  Link
mclingo

ah right, things pretty stable here over on the RED team but i've been experimenting with some different settings in general, i'm now running everything in 8 bit and tone mapping to SDR, i'm also now using smooth motion, i forced myself to use it for a few a week to see if I could get used to it and I did, I get a much smoother pan shots with this on, my TV has some issues with stuttering when using motion settings on my LG OLED EF950 when playing some HDR movies and episodes which i've not been a ble to defeat, I just dont think this TV has enough processing power to do HDR movies with some TRUMOTION turned on as it only happens at 2160p, with MADVR smooth motion on everything plays perfectly and it has the added advantage of not having any delays starting whilst it refresh rate matches.

I've also been able to get 3D without FSE for a while now too so I dont use that anymore, things are pretty good on the RED side at the moment for HTPC playback.
Old 4th March 2021, 22:16   #61308  |  Link
huhn

team red is doing really great deint didn't work for a single day using a 5000 series. quite an achievement having a basic feature been broken from release to the point some if not all of these cards are EOL.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 23:07   #61309  |  Link
Dogway

@Manni, I'm still on driver 456.55 so I don't think that's the issue.

I'm on Win7 SP1 x64, GTX 1070, an madVR v0.92.17.

A very different setup, I think this might be a bug in madVR.
Old 4th March 2021, 23:59   #61310  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
team red is doing really great deint didn't work for a single day using a 5000 series. quite an achievement having a basic feature been broken from release to the point some if not all of these cards are EOL.
remind me again whats broken at the moment exactly?

Last edited by mclingo; 5th March 2021 at 00:09.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 01:11   #61311  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
@Manni, I'm still on driver 456.55 so I don't think that's the issue.

I'm on Win7 SP1 x64, GTX 1070, an madVR v0.92.17.

A very different setup, I think this might be a bug in madVR.
It's probably a bug in madVR, but it's not going to be fixed for a while, so it might be worth trying disabling d3d11 in rendering/general to see if it fixes the issue for you as it fixed it for me.
Old 5th March 2021, 03:37   #61312  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
It's probably a bug in madVR, but it's not going to be fixed for a while, so it might be worth trying disabling d3d11 in rendering/general to see if it fixes the issue for you as it fixed it for me.
It didn't fixed it for me. In any case it's his best interest to fix it, looks like a major issue IMO. My SmartTV is 1080p so for the time being I'm ok with that.
Old 5th March 2021, 09:40   #61313  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
It didn't fixed it for me. In any case it's his best interest to fix it, looks like a major issue IMO. My SmartTV is 1080p so for the time being I'm ok with that.
It’s not about interest, it’s about time. Madshi has little time available currently to fix bugs in madVR as he’s still very much focused on Envy. No doubt he will fix this if it’s a bug when his focus will be back on madVR.

Last edited by Manni; 5th March 2021 at 20:21.
Old 5th March 2021, 14:04   #61314  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
It’s not about interest, it’s about time. Madshi has little time available currently to fix bugs in madVR as he’s still very much focused on Envy. No doubt he will fix if it’s a big when his focus will be back on madVR.
From the Envy marketing email I received yesterday, there seems to be a LOT going on with Envy. Makes me wonder if we'll ever see even a bug fix of madVR again.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 17:39   #61315  |  Link
mclingo

that could be true but we all understand why he's putting all his time into Envy at the moment, I guess we just have wait an see, could be a month or two, could be a year or two
Old 5th March 2021, 18:08   #61316  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
From the Envy marketing email I received yesterday, there seems to be a LOT going on with Envy. Makes me wonder if we'll ever see even a bug fix of madVR again.
I mean, all that Envy DTM 2.0 beta development stuff is happening in madVR before Envy in the madVR test builds.

So madVR development is absolutely still happening, it's just hyper-focused on tone-mapping and nothing else at the moment.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 19:19   #61317  |  Link
SamuriHL

He's using the data gleamed from the madvr betas to improve the Envy. That was the whole premise of how this was going to work going forward. madvr tests things and tweaks it, Envy benefits. It's what allows us to keep getting improved madvr betas.
Old 5th March 2021, 19:42   #61318  |  Link
brazen1

and why the betas time out. Look at it from the investors point of view too.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 21:15   #61319  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
and why the betas time out. Look at it from the investors point of view too.
But there is no real reason to use an old beta version so long.

Madshi said that he will always release a new beta version with a refreshed expiration timer before the previous one ends.

He added this because companies are selling PCs with madVR pre-installed which is not allowed by the license.

Last edited by SirMaster; 5th March 2021 at 21:17.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 23:16   #61320  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Madshi said that he will always release a new beta version with a refreshed expiration timer before the previous one ends.

He added this because companies are selling PCs with madVR pre-installed which is not allowed by the license.
I'd say that's very, very gracious of madshi then. Sort of a thank you to those providing feedback and a blank you to those profiting on PC's with his hard work in it.

I actually thought it was investor pressure not to give anything away for free and if they did it would have a time limit.

After reading your thoughts, I guess madshi likes and needs testers as much as they like and need him. It's a win win. It's especially nice to see madVR keeps advancing on the Envy front and the software front.

Boy, I wish I had one of those but the software is nothing short of a miracle in itself
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling