Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st February 2016, 22:00   #36321  |  Link
mogli

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
When I reveal the seek bar I'm seeing Present queue dropping from "7-8 / 8" to "1-2 / 2".
That's madVR's low latency mode to react more quickly to your clicks.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 22:04   #36322  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Anyone else seeing strange jitter when using MPC-BE + LAV + madVR with Exclusive Mode when seek bar is on screen?
I checked for frame drops or glitches but they are not registering.

When I reveal the seek bar I'm seeing Present queue dropping from "7-8 / 8" to "1-2 / 2".

Maybe this is the reason? Any way to fix this?

Strangely this jitter does not happen with internal MPE-BE filters instead of LAV.
I'm pretty sure it's intentional. The queue's drop so there's not all the extra frames of lag from your clicking on it.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 22:36   #36323  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman87 View Post
Hey madashi, I sometimes get an "exclusive mode failed" error. Sometimes it works sometimes not. I have attached a log file. Maybe you could look into it if you find some time. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw95mu8hj3...20log.rar?dl=0
Interesting, haven't seen this one yet. It means that D3D11 believes that there's some other window occluding the madVR rendering window. Do you have some 3rd party application running which may be in the foreground? Try closing down 3rd party apps, maybe you can find the guilty one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Okay, here is a log. I hope I did it right. I went FSE, activated the OSD, started playback, and turned off the OSD a few seconds in after about 12 dropped frames had occurred.

http://stereodude.net/madVR_Stereodude_frame_drops.7z
Hmmmm... In that log a fade wasn't even detected at all. Are you sure you uploaded the right log? At least from what I can see in this log there are no frame drops caused by the "rerender frames when fade in/out is detected" functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The only mode I found which worked decently on a 144Hz screen is D3D9 Overlay. All others have the present queue running nearly empty. Not sure why this is tied to the refresh rate though.
Strange. Not really sure what to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post
Just sometimes, after 2 or 3 episodes and is not episode related because when is not fullscreen i cann skip fine all the episodes.
I am using d3d9.
Right now an episode ended and auto skipped to the next, the screen went black, i quit fullscreen and return to previous episode then back to the next and worked fine. Is something related to fullscreen or refresh rate switch i think.
Ok, maybe I can see something if you create a debug log.

Quote:
Anyone else seeing strange jitter when using MPC-BE + LAV + madVR with Exclusive Mode when seek bar is on screen?
I checked for frame drops or glitches but they are not registering.

Maybe this is the reason? Any way to fix this?

Strangely this jitter does not happen with internal MPE-BE filters instead of LAV.
The present queue behaviour is as intended, as already explained by mogli and Stereodude. The jitter is probably a driver issue. Most users don't have this issue, some have. There's not much I can do about it, except disabling the "low latency" mode, which however is very nice because it greatly increases the responsiveness of GUIs.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 22:52   #36324  |  Link
leandronb

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Ok, maybe I can see something if you create a debug log.
How can i do that? i searched online and read that i have to run the bat present in the folder of madvr, but i couldn't find this file.
Old 21st February 2016, 22:55   #36325  |  Link
l0rdraiden

Quote:
When running your monitor at 144Hz, please turn on the Ctrl+J OSD and check if the refresh rate is properly detected. If it is, are we talking about fullscreen exclusive mode or windowed mode? One thing you could try is to make the GPU queue bigger and increase the number of prepresented frames. That may help.
The refresh rate is properly detected
It happens in window mode fullscreen mode, and fullscreen exclusive mode.
I have increased the GPU queue to 16 and now it works fine. It's weird because the GPU queue was and is now full all the time, no drops

I hope this feedback can help you to fix or improve something or maybe increase the GPU queue default.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by l0rdraiden; 21st February 2016 at 22:58.
l0rdraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 22:58   #36326  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post
How can i do that? i searched online and read that i have to run the bat present in the folder of madvr, but i couldn't find this file.
It should be there, at least it's in the download from my homepage. Do you at least have a "madVR [debug].ax" file? Are you using a 32bit or 64bit media player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0rdraiden View Post
The refresh rate is properly detected
It happens in window mode fullscreen mode, and fullscreen exclusive mode.
I have increased the GPU queue to 16 and now it works fine.

I hope this feedback can help you to fix or improve something or maybe increase the GPU queue default.
Ok, good to know. Increasing the default GPU size is dangerous because it might result in some users running out of GPU RAM.
Old 21st February 2016, 22:59   #36327  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.11 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added support for receiving 3D subtitle depth from splitter
* added support for rendering subtitles and OSD at a specific 3D depth
* added ISubRenderCallback4 interface to allow ISR to render 3D subtitles
* downscaling anti-ringing filter is now much more agressive
* removed integrated anti-ringing filter from "crispen/sharpen edges"
* added optional external anti-ringing filter for ringing sharpening algos
* re-added experimental "linear light" option for "crispen edges"
* image doubling can now be forced on (if no scaling is done otherwise)
* added 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% strength option to SSIM downscaling
* fixed: MPC-HC ISR subtitles didn't work in 3D mode
* fixed: 3D rendering with Bilinear downscaling wasn't really using Bilinear
Notes:

1) 3D subtitle rendering needs the latest LAV nightly build from last night. In theory different subtitle tracks could have different depth information. Currently I'm ignoring that. Proper support for using the right depth information for the currently selected subtitle track will be added to the next build, but will also require a new LAV build. For now the current solution should work ok.

2) 3D subtitle rendering currently only works with XySubFilter. Making the MPC-HC/BE internal sub renderers support that, too, needs work from the MPC devs, but it should be pretty easy to implement, and madVR already supports new interfaces for that.

3) The downscaling anti-ringing filter is now nearly "perfect" in that it should remove pretty much every bit of ringing caused by downscaling. However, there's a certain danger that this might introduce aliasing or other artifacts. So I need you to test this and let me know if you find any problems.

4) "crispen edges" and "sharpen edges" have a stronger effect now because their internal anti-ringing filters were removed. "crispen edges" now looks much nearer to the original FineSharp algorithm. The new sharpening anti-ringing filter should help remove most ringing artifacts caused by "crispen edges", "sharpen edges" and "LumaSharpen", without lessening the sharpening effect much. Because the new AR filter seems to work pretty well, I've re-introduced a "linear light" option for "crispen edges" (formerly known as FineSharp). Would be great to get your feedback about whether you prefer linear light on/off, and whether there are still the same artifacts that made us remove the FineSharp linear light option in the past (at that time we didn't have a good AR filter). Also please let me know if the AR filter works as expected.

5) You can now force doubling even if no scaling is needed (e.g. Blu-Ray playback on a 1080p display). When doing that, the upscaling refinement options are applied on the doubled (2160p) resolution. This practically allows you to run all the sharpening algos in supersampling mode. Extra performance hungry, but allows quite nice results, especially in combination with Bicubic150 or SSIM downscaling.

I've put the things I need feedback for in bold, just to be safe. Hope I don't overexert you guys.
Old 21st February 2016, 23:10   #36328  |  Link
leandronb

Quote:
It should be there, at least it's in the download from my homepage. Do you at least have a "madVR [debug].ax" file? Are you using a 32bit or 64bit media player?
I think that is the problem, i use klite codec pack with only lav filters and madvr. Now i installed the madvr version that you just released and it came with much more files.
The interesting thing is that the problem is gone at least for now, one thing i notice is that sometimes when i open a video file the screen goes black for a while, and is random.
But i had this for a while and do not bother me at all.
If the other problem happen again i will post here with the log.
thanks.
Old 21st February 2016, 23:30   #36329  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
madVR v0.90.11 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added support for receiving 3D subtitle depth from splitter
* added support for rendering subtitles and OSD at a specific 3D depth
* added ISubRenderCallback4 interface to allow ISR to render 3D subtitles
* downscaling anti-ringing filter is now much more agressive
* removed integrated anti-ringing filter from "crispen/sharpen edges"
* added optional external anti-ringing filter for ringing sharpening algos
* re-added experimental "linear light" option for "crispen edges"
* image doubling can now be forced on (if no scaling is done otherwise)
* added 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% strength option to SSIM downscaling
* fixed: MPC-HC ISR subtitles didn't work in 3D mode
* fixed: 3D rendering with Bilinear downscaling wasn't really using Bilinear
Notes:

1) 3D subtitle rendering needs the latest LAV nightly build from last night. In theory different subtitle tracks could have different depth information. Currently I'm ignoring that. Proper support for using the right depth information for the currently selected subtitle track will be added to the next build, but will also require a new LAV build. For now the current solution should work ok.

2) 3D subtitle rendering currently only works with XySubFilter. Making the MPC-HC/BE internal sub renderers support that, too, needs work from the MPC devs, but it should be pretty easy to implement, and madVR already supports new interfaces for that.

3) The downscaling anti-ringing filter is now nearly "perfect" in that it should remove pretty much every bit of ringing caused by downscaling. However, there's a certain danger that this might introduce aliasing or other artifacts. So I need you to test this and let me know if you find any problems.

4) "crispen edges" and "sharpen edges" have a stronger effect now because their internal anti-ringing filters were removed. "crispen edges" now looks much nearer to the original FineSharp algorithm. The new sharpening anti-ringing filter should help remove most ringing artifacts caused by "crispen edges", "sharpen edges" and "LumaSharpen", without lessening the sharpening effect much. Because the new AR filter seems to work pretty well, I've re-introduced a "linear light" option for "crispen edges" (formerly known as FineSharp). Would be great to get your feedback about whether you prefer linear light on/off, and whether there are still the same artifacts that made us remove the FineSharp linear light option in the past (at that time we didn't have a good AR filter). Also please let me know if the AR filter works as expected.

5) You can now force doubling even if no scaling is needed (e.g. Blu-Ray playback on a 1080p display). When doing that, the upscaling refinement options are applied on the doubled (2160p) resolution. This practically allows you to run all the sharpening algos in supersampling mode. Extra performance hungry, but allows quite nice results, especially in combination with Bicubic150 or SSIM downscaling.

I've put the things I need feedback for in bold, just to be safe. Hope I don't overexert you guys.
Thank you so much madshi, that's awesome.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 23:37   #36330  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

for the new build, eventually you've come back with a zillion new options to try but I was already quite amazed this afternoon by 720p30@1080p video footage using FRC/RS+SR@1 chroma/Jinc AR upscaling+SR@1 luma and Jinc non-AR downscaling, both very sharp and yet not digital looking wow oh wow.....but then again you just added strength sub-options to SSIM so let's roll the dice once more shall we.

Jinc never disappoints IME except that it's very sharp when downscaling, would strength options for Jinc downscaling also be possible please? I rest my case that softer SR would also be very useful with such sharp downscalers but it's your call. At some point you gotta find the best upscaling/downscaling sharpness compromise as the goal is to neither oversharp one or the other IMO.

Would forcing SR also be possible please? I love the look on 1080p movies and I'm currently forced to upscale one notch

Last edited by leeperry; 21st February 2016 at 23:45.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 23:41   #36331  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Would forcing SR also be possible please? I love the look on 1080p movies and I'm currently forced to upscale one notch
SR relies on comparing the upscaled and original image, I don't think it can really work without any scaling. You could use the forced doubling if you want SR to always be active.
Old 21st February 2016, 23:44   #36332  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
SR relies on comparing the upscaled and original image, I don't think it can really work without any scaling. You could use the forced doubling if you want SR to always be active.
Sure thing, a 0.001 pixel upscale would work for me. The smallest upscale technically possible to allow SR to kick in basically as 1080p movies don't usually require doubling anyway.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 23:57   #36333  |  Link
FDisk80

madsi, the stats text turned back after v0.90.11 update. Very hard to read. It only turns white if I move the mouse to the seek bar in fullscreen or if a video is paused in windowed or fullscreen mode.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 23:58   #36334  |  Link
yok833

Thanks Madshi!! Awesome as always !
With the last build I have the subtitles written in black and also the text of the information when I press Ctrl+J... Have I pressed a wrong button or is it due to the last build??
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:00   #36335  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Huh? Sounds weird, and doesn't happen on my PC. Can I see a screenshot, please? (Please don't attach it to this forum, but upload elsewhere and just post a link).
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:08   #36336  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
madVR v0.90.11 released
Great stuff, was wondering whether this would be supported. Wonder if it's worth it... We'll see soon enough.

Last edited by ryrynz; 22nd February 2016 at 04:12.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:11   #36337  |  Link
yok833

Quote:
Huh? Sounds weird, and doesn't happen on my PC. Can I see a screenshot, please? (Please don't attach it to this forum, but upload elsewhere and just post a link).
Here it is
https://goo.gl/photos/mZ1VnWQAghWik7ct9

when I press stop or an arrow to move forward the information on the left side and the subtitles turn white again???
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:13   #36338  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Here you go
http://i.imgur.com/T2DEK3u.jpg
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:14   #36339  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Here it is
https://goo.gl/photos/mZ1VnWQAghWik7ct9

when I press stop or an arrow to move forward the information on the left side and the subtitles turn white again???
Yes, same issue.
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:18   #36340  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Hmmmm... In that log a fade wasn't even detected at all. Are you sure you uploaded the right log? At least from what I can see in this log there are no frame drops caused by the "rerender frames when fade in/out is detected" functionality.
I only made one log, so it can't be the wrong one. I can repeat the test and make a log each way if that would help.

What are the dropped frames from? It drops a few frames at the very start of playback (not unexpectedly), but the drops after that are a mystery to me since the queues don't empty and the max rendering time is still way less than 1/refresh.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling