Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th March 2021, 14:19   #61341  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I don't have any issue with framerate matched content and I don't use anything, not even trumotion on the TV, just like VBB.
Sometimes content is butter smooth, other times there is visible stutter. I wanted to say it's in the "source", but as it turned out, it's way more complicated. There was a good youtube video about it, I'll link it if I'll find it, basically it's the combination of the camera settings /panning speed/image resolution/and display resolution. There is even a software package that studios use that should handle these issues via postprocessing algos.
So when it happens, I accept it that this is what it is
I dont use trumotion to smooth out stuttering as such, its just that panning or fast motion shots can look at little jarring or jagged, for instance if you pan past a white windows frame or light on an OLED the edges can look jagged, on an LCD as there is smearing between frames this is less pronounced, TRUMOTION on 2 clears this up nicely.

However I do have an issue with a slight stutter but only on HDR movies if I use TRUMITION+HDR mode, if I tonemap to SDR this happens much less, if I also downscale to 1080p this goes away, if I use SM it goes away even in 2160p, could this be the issue you refer to or is it likely just to be an issue with my particular TV?

harry potter, chamber of secrets 0:45:50 when they look down to see the spiders crawling up the wall it stutters, when the camera pans back up to their faces it stutters again, same place every time, its odd, it does it every time, I even tried a second remux, I made a clip but it doesnt do it on the clip, this is just a screen shot of where it happens.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBilPQQ...sH_UQ?e=DbYnK2
Old 10th March 2021, 17:31   #61342  |  Link
haggis999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I was curious myself so I did some logging with HWiNFO. I'm not sure how high settings is this but my upsampling setting is Jinc both for chroma and overall, with anti-ringing enabled. All the options to trade quality for performance are turned off, and smooth motion also turned off. Screen is at 2160/120p.

Playing a half hour of 1080p h.264 turned on the fans after about 18 minutes, temps started at about 38°C and increased to 61°C during that time. After that the fans stayed at about 1000 RPM and the temps steadily decreased until the video was over, at 35°C, but it was still going down. It only needs minimal airflow for the GPU to stay very cool in this scenario, and the fans were inaudible.

My setup is the most silent I could build, it's a Cooler Master H500, with fans replaced for 2x 200mm Noctua ones, and I even cut the case cause normally it has metal flaps blocking the 200mm fan holes on the sides. I installed the fans inside the case so it has more space to breathe behind the front mesh, and took out the PSU shroud cause it's a fanless Seasonic PSU.

I sit at about 2m from the case and I can't hear anything most of the time, the 5900x has a Noctua NH-D15S on it, and the fan does ramp up and is audible sometimes, but never when playing video unless I disable HW decoding in LAV filters.
Hi Andy,
Many thanks for checking this topic out in more detail. It's very useful to know that the RTX 3070 stays relatively cool in this scenario. Even though I'm not a gamer, I would be happy to buy that GPU to keep the noise levels down.

From what you say, the GPU's fans need to be running when using madVR for an extended period but could probably do all that is needed at a lower speed than 1000 rpm. Do you have enough control over the 3070's fans to run them at lower speeds when below 61°C?
haggis999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 05:37   #61343  |  Link
x7007

With the LG OLED CX do I need to change to 10Bit YCbCr 4:2:0 when watching HDR Movies/Games instead RGB Full? Also, do I need to change from PC Input to HDMI 1 or Game Console?
I have 6900XT

I disabled the Freesync VRR for Potplayer so it's only 120Hz.

Last edited by x7007; 17th March 2021 at 05:39.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 10:47   #61344  |  Link
Asmodian

No, PC mode on the CX is much improved for HDR.

The near black banding is only a bit worse in full range with the newest TV software, at least on my CX, but you should send the TV 8 or 10 bit YCbCr 4:4:4 @ 120 Hz all the time if you want to avoid that (it tends to bother me the most in games). Switching out of PC mode does not improve this in anyway. With HDMI 2.1 there is no reason to use YCbCr 4:2:0 ever again.

I prefer having madVR dither to 8 bit for any output type, HDR especially benefits with reduced banding and posterization.
Old 18th March 2021, 09:55   #61345  |  Link
chinobino

Has anyone using Windows 10 insider preview tried the new Auto HDR (converts SDR to HDR) for Directx 11/12 to see if it interferes with madVR?

I use MPC-HC with the Direct3d 11 decoder and would like to know if it breaks anything.

Last edited by chinobino; 18th March 2021 at 10:05.
chinobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 07:43   #61346  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, PC mode on the CX is much improved for HDR.

The near black banding is only a bit worse in full range with the newest TV software, at least on my CX, but you should send the TV 8 or 10 bit YCbCr 4:4:4 @ 120 Hz all the time if you want to avoid that (it tends to bother me the most in games). Switching out of PC mode does not improve this in anyway. With HDMI 2.1 there is no reason to use YCbCr 4:2:0 ever again.

I prefer having madVR dither to 8 bit for any output type, HDR especially benefits with reduced banding and posterization.
Cool that's what I though. but isn't Black Level supposed to be LOW? because it only looks good on High in HDR.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 08:12   #61347  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
Hi Andy,
Many thanks for checking this topic out in more detail. It's very useful to know that the RTX 3070 stays relatively cool in this scenario. Even though I'm not a gamer, I would be happy to buy that GPU to keep the noise levels down.

From what you say, the GPU's fans need to be running when using madVR for an extended period but could probably do all that is needed at a lower speed than 1000 rpm. Do you have enough control over the 3070's fans to run them at lower speeds when below 61°C?
I haven't tried, but at 1000RPM they're really inaudible. From a quick google a couple of apps might be able to tweak the fan curve of this card https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rt...ve-bug.435287/

But if you don't game it's really a waste of money. There are lower tier cards that have come out recently that have HDMI 2.1 like the 3060 or AMD 6700XT that are less expensive and also most of them should have good coolers. And they're just as hard to get as a 3070FE as well.

Last edited by Andy o; 19th March 2021 at 08:23.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 09:18   #61348  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Cool that's what I though. but isn't Black Level supposed to be LOW? because it only looks good on High in HDR.
Black level is dependent on what range you have set in Nvidia control panel.

For full range set black level to High.
For limited range set black level to Low.

Also, Auto seems to work properly, but I do set it manually.

Since you are running RGB Full, High is correct.
Old 21st March 2021, 02:36   #61349  |  Link
Milincho

Any idea why I get this long list of "identification" devices?

Milincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2021, 04:49   #61350  |  Link
JaylumX
Something Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milincho View Post
Any idea why I get this long list of "identification" devices?

[IMG]Snip[/IMG]
One possibility results from making changes to refresh rate timings amongst others using CRU. If that is the case then just delete all but the active identification as it won't allow you to delete the active one anyway.
Old 21st March 2021, 06:42   #61351  |  Link
Milincho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylumX View Post
One possibility results from making changes to refresh rate timings amongst others using CRU. If that is the case then just delete all but the active identification as it won't allow you to delete the active one anyway.
Now that was some pinpoint answer!

Yep, I use a custom resolution made in CRU. Thanks for the tip mate!
Milincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2021, 06:46   #61352  |  Link
_dib_

Not sure if there's some kind of spyware in here but my player has never tried to connect online until MadVR is enabled. If I disable it as the output, it stops trying to connect. What+why is madvr trying to talk online?
_dib_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:39   #61353  |  Link
Asmodian

madVR can be controlled remotely from the local area network, feel free to block it if you want to.

You can also disable it by right-clicking on the system tray icon and selecting Disable LAN Access. Run madHcCtrl.exe to launch the system tray icon.
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:03   #61354  |  Link
haggis999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I haven't tried, but at 1000RPM they're really inaudible. From a quick google a couple of apps might be able to tweak the fan curve of this card https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rt...ve-bug.435287/

But if you don't game it's really a waste of money. There are lower tier cards that have come out recently that have HDMI 2.1 like the 3060 or AMD 6700XT that are less expensive and also most of them should have good coolers. And they're just as hard to get as a 3070FE as well.
Hi Andy,
Thanks for confirming that those fans are inaudible at 1000rpm. That's definitely good news. The need to investigate how to tweak the fan curve will not arise if I can't hear anything.

While I'm not a gamer at present, there is a possibility that my grandchildren might nudge me in that direction (for their own benefit, of course). I also have some past experience of video editing and 3D CAD work that I might like to exploit with a new machine. I have therefore now gone ahead and ordered a zippy new PC with an RTX 3070. My habit has been to buy highly-specced workstations and then keep them for quite a long time, so I doubt if this investment will go to waste.

Your help on this topic has been much appreciated
haggis999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2021, 10:21   #61355  |  Link
NoTechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
madVR can be controlled remotely from the local area network, feel free to block it if you want to.
So I could change madvr settings using an ipad while watching a movie? That would be sweet but how?

NoTechi
NoTechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2021, 12:51   #61356  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
So I could change madvr settings using an ipad while watching a movie? That would be sweet but how?

NoTechi
I use iRule but you can use many other solutions that work with any iOS or Android phone/tablet.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2021, 15:44   #61357  |  Link
NoTechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I use iRule but you can use many other solutions that work with any iOS or Android phone/tablet.
I was more hoping for having complete madvr gui acessible not just shortcuts.

NoTechi
Old 26th March 2021, 19:34   #61358  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
I was more hoping for having complete madvr gui acessible not just shortcuts.

NoTechi
Add a dummy display to your madVR PC:
https://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3030

Open the madVR settings screen on the dummy display and then remote into it from phone/tablet with TeamViewer or similar remote software.

There, madVR GUI on your phone/tablet.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 22:31   #61359  |  Link
brazen1

^ Not sure why I wasn't doing something like that already during initial adjusting of madVR? It sure would have made things easier. There are a lot of commands I access by remote but far less than what is offered. I think I'm going to try that next time I have a rare occasion changing something in madVR. Thanks for the suggestion.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2021, 10:42   #61360  |  Link
NoTechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
There, madVR GUI on your phone/tablet.
Not really the direct access I was thinking of when I read from Asmodian that there is a way to remote control madvr but in the end it would bring the same result so thanks for the hint

NoTechi

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling