Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th November 2015, 16:33   #34141  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
I'm mostly watching 1080p blu-rays from my personal collection that I've remuxed to avoid using discs. The content looks fine with Jinc AR for Chroma and Image. SuperRes doesn't make it look better.
imho fonts or emblems look too blurry with 1080p -> WQHD without SR. Especially true for fine white fonts.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 16:47   #34142  |  Link
Sunset1982

I'm using madvr to upscale 1080p Bulray remux files to a 4k Display but there is a lot of noise. Any suggested settings to get rid of it?
Old 8th November 2015, 17:34   #34143  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Honestly, do you have any videos which need rotation *and* have subtitles?? I thought about subtitles, but it's pretty hard to implement correctly, and my thinking was that videos that need rotation are very unlikely to have subtitles. So I simply didn't spend any time on working on rotated subtitles. If you have legit files which need rotation and have subtitles, please let me know where they come from and why they are rotated. Then I'll think about whether it's worth spending time on...
To be hones no, I don't have such video files - it was just an imaginary use case and since you say that it's not easy to be implemented I totally agree with your decision not to invest time in it until there is a legit need for it.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 18:30   #34144  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
How about you read at least 1-2 pages back first?
Madshi's second post one page back covers that.
I found the post you are refering to. just dont refer to page numbers please, some people have different posts per page settings.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 8th November 2015 at 18:33.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 19:08   #34145  |  Link
6ari8

Thanks for the new build madshi!

I'm an AdaptiveSharpen user and I must say I'm really happy with the new sharpen edges option. I'm torn between the two but I think I'll settle on one of them after some tests.

However, there may be a bug in the new build's "upscaling refinement" options.
When choosing SuperRes on its own, the "refine the image after every...."/"refine the image only once...." is greyed out even though it takes effect according to the checked option of the two.
So If I wanted to change that option I have to check one of the other refinement options temporarily so it becomes visible.
6ari8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 19:22   #34146  |  Link
obieobieobie

Another black screen log for 0.89.15 with unchanged settings from 0.89.13 where there is no black screen with this clip:

fryingpanfail.webm

log here (dunno why the log is HUGE):
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...52747541458473
obieobieobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 19:27   #34147  |  Link
XMonarchY

Damn, I still get stutters after pausing and then resume videos and nothing I've tried or that was recommended made any difference... Its SO annoying.
Old 8th November 2015, 19:40   #34148  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

the aspect ration problem finally is gone

the only problem now is the stuttering when going fullscreen with a video with mpchc
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 20:56   #34149  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I noticed that after playing around with different upscaling refinements, madVR somehow disabled NNEDI3 and used Jinc instead. It couldn't be activated again unless madVR was restarted. Haven't been able to reproduce yet, but there must be a small problem.
If you find a way to reliably reproduce it, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
There are a bunch of sharpening algorithms now. Is there some writing about it? How do they compare to each other quality wise. Or in what situation do they come handy?
For a long time I used the players sharpencomplex2 shader. Now I started using madVR's adaptivesharpen, though to be honest I don't know if it's the best one (for me).
Asked and answered twice already in the last couple of pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
I'm using madvr to upscale 1080p Bulray remux files to a 4k Display but there is a lot of noise. Any suggested settings to get rid of it?
There's no denoise algo in madVR. You could try ffdshow raw video processing with some AviSynth noise reduction script. Sorry, can't tell you any more than this. That's a topic for a different thread. In this thread all I can say is: madVR currently doesn't do denoising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
To be hones no, I don't have such video files - it was just an imaginary use case and since you say that it's not easy to be implemented I totally agree with your decision not to invest time in it until there is a legit need for it.
Ah ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ari8 View Post
I'm an AdaptiveSharpen user and I must say I'm really happy with the new sharpen edges option. I'm torn between the two but I think I'll settle on one of them after some tests.
Let me know what you settle on and for what reasons. Please judge quality and performance separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ari8 View Post
However, there may be a bug in the new build's "upscaling refinement" options.
When choosing SuperRes on its own, the "refine the image after every...."/"refine the image only once...." is greyed out even though it takes effect according to the checked option of the two.
So If I wanted to change that option I have to check one of the other refinement options temporarily so it becomes visible.
In the next build SuperRes will always only be applied once, because it simply doesn't make sense any other way. SuperRes has no benefit from being applied multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obieobieobie View Post
Another black screen log for 0.89.15 with unchanged settings from 0.89.13 where there is no black screen with this clip
I think this should be fixed in v0.89.16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Damn, I still get stutters after pausing and then resume videos and nothing I've tried or that was recommended made any difference... Its SO annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
the aspect ration problem finally is gone

the only problem now is the stuttering when going fullscreen with a video with mpchc
Please create a debug log with 20 seconds worth of stuttering. Afterwards please stop MPC-HC by pressing Alt+F4, then zip and upload the debug log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
Can not reproduce using software decoding.
Debug log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7a...w?usp=sharing]
I've done a change in v0.89.16 which should hopefully fix this problem.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 20:57   #34150  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.89.16 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: occasional aspect ratio problems (introduced in v0.89.14)
* fixed: "refine only once" doesn't affect SuperRes, anymore
* fixed: DXVA decoding + deint -> refresh rate sometimes didn't switch
Old 8th November 2015, 21:26   #34151  |  Link
Warner306

As an ardent SuperRes user, I haven't spent any time testing the new sharpening algorithms with upscaled content.

Using Image Enhancements at 1080p -> 1080p:

Sharpen Edges: Too expensive to test, but promising based on a couple of samples.
Crispen Edges: The edge enhancement is noticeable, even at low settings, but the image lacks a uniform increase in detail, making the image appear flat. Not really a fan.
Thin Edges: At 1080p, this degrades the image and is not of any use.
Enhance Detail: For some reason, this appears to be more of a direct replacement for FineSharp. Edge enhancement is not obvious. While the image appears sharper overall. Noise is likely amplified but is not noticeable with the sources I'm using.

I have barely used each algorithm, but I'm having a hard time finding a favourite algorithm. I haven't found an equivalent setting to match the result of SuperRes. SuperRes does not crease the corners of objects as much as these sharpeners, which is why I currently prefer Enhance Detail.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 21:30   #34152  |  Link
Asmodian

The issue with anamorphic video I noticed with "automatically detect hard coded black bars" disabled has been fixed with v.0.89.16. Thanks!

I am getting a huge performance hit when using NNEDI3 quadrupling and any image enhancement set to "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step".
e.g.
NNEDI3 quadrupling and AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image only once after upscaling is complete", 28.5 ms
NNEDI3 quadrupling and AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step", 54.4 ms
super-xbr quadrupling and AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image only once after upscaling is complete", 16.3 ms
super-xbr quadrupling and AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step", 17.2 ms

GPU clock speed was constant throughout this testing.

Is this large of a difference expected? I understand there is extra work when moving in and out of YCbCr for NNEDI3 but this is larger than expected. The hit from the NNEDI3 64 quadrupling itself is less than that from running AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step".

edit: I should mention that this doesn't bother me as super-xbr quadrupling is excellent, and I can use more upscaling refinements with it, but I thought it was odd so I should mention it.

Last edited by Asmodian; 8th November 2015 at 21:39.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 21:33   #34153  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Crispen Edges: The edge enhancement is noticeable, even at low settings, but the image lacks a uniform increase in detail, making the image appear flat. Not really a fan.
Enhance Detail: For some reason, this appears to be more of a direct replacement for FineSharp. Edge enhancement is not obvious. While the image appears sharper overall. Noise is likely amplified but is not noticeable with the sources I'm using.
FWIW, these two do exactly the opposite thing. The first just works on edges but not "flat" areas, while the second just works on flat areas but not edges. This way you can fine tune how much "enhancement" you want to apply to edges and textures separately. The "crispen edges" algo intentionally only looks at edges and nothing else, so that you can fine tune every aspect of the sharpening process to your exact likings.

These algos are not "either this or that", you can combine all 4 of these to achieve the exact result you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Thin Edges: At 1080p, this degrades the image and is not of any use.
It depends on the source. Some sources have very fat lines, for these "thin edges" can be great. But mostly it's useful after upscaling. Try a tiny bit of "thin edges" after SuperRes, you might like it.
Old 8th November 2015, 21:35   #34154  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I am getting a huge performance hit when using NNEDI3 quadrupling and any image enhancement set to "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step".
e.g.
NNEDI3 quadrupling and AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image only once after upscaling is complete", 28.5 ms
NNEDI3 quadrupling and AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step", 54.4 ms
super-xbr quadrupling and AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image only once after upscaling is complete", 16.3 ms
super-xbr quadrupling and AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step", 17.2 ms

Is this large of a difference expected? I understand there is extra work when moving in and out of YCbCr for NNEDI3 but this is larger than expected. The hit from the NNEDI3 64 quadrupling itself is less than that from running AdaptiveSharpen with "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step".
I haven't really done benchmark tests for these things, but obviously running those algos multiples times costs performance. My future plan is to try to modify/tune the sharpening algos to only have to run once after upscaling, but still achieve a good effect, regardless of the upscaling factor. Currently if the upscaling factor is very large, most of the sharpeners (except SuperRes) lose their effectiveness.
Old 8th November 2015, 21:51   #34155  |  Link
nlnl

madshi
Quote:
* fixed: DXVA decoding + deint -> refresh rate sometimes didn't switch
Thanks!
Sorry, but the problem is not fixed here
The log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7a...ew?usp=sharing
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 21:58   #34156  |  Link
baii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
The issue with anamorphic video I noticed with "automatically detect hard coded black bars" disabled has been fixed with v.0.89.16. Thanks!

e.g.

edit: I should mention that this doesn't bother me as super-xbr quadrupling is excellent, and I can use more upscaling refinements with it, but I thought it was odd so I should mention it.
What is the initial video size? I recently went up to 4k and any refinement got more expensive as it is done @4k. If you use every 2x, would it be possible that those refinement was done at high res then downscale to wqhd( was it you with wqhd and 980ti iirc?)

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 22:20   #34157  |  Link
obieobieobie

Quote:
I think this should be fixed in v0.89.16.
Thank you madshi, I can confirm it is fixed.
obieobieobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 22:28   #34158  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
Sorry, but the problem is not fixed here
The log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7a...ew?usp=sharing
Ok, will look at it next week end.
Old 8th November 2015, 22:33   #34159  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I haven't really done benchmark tests for these things, but obviously running those algos multiples times costs performance. My future plan is to try to modify/tune the sharpening algos to only have to run once after upscaling, but still achieve a good effect, regardless of the upscaling factor. Currently if the upscaling factor is very large, most of the sharpeners (except SuperRes) lose their effectiveness.
But why would it cost so much more when run twice with NNEDI3 compared to super-xbr? AdaptiveSharpen is running the same number of times and at the same resolutions in both cases but the performance hit is 2600% greater when using NNEDI3 quadrupling. I am using NNEDI3 256 doubling in both cases.

I agree, AdaptiveSharpen is more effective when run twice in this situation. Looking forward to the tweaks for large scaling factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
What is the initial video size? I recently went up to 4k and any refinement got more expensive as it is done @4k. If you use every 2x, would it be possible that those refinement was done at high res then downscale to wqhd( was it you with wqhd and 980ti iirc?)

Sent from my 306SH
The source res was 720x480 (anamorphic 16:9). However notice the difference between super-xbr and NNEDI3. I get only one extra ms from running AdaptiveSharpen twice (once at 1706x960 and once at 3412x1920 instead of only once at 3412x1920) using super-xbr quadrupling but I get an extra 26ms when running AdaptiveSharpen twice using NNEDI3 quadrupling.

Running AdaptiveSharpen only at the quadrupled res of 3412x1920 costs ~1.4ms using either NNEDI3 or super-xbr quadrupling.

Yes, I am running WQHD with a 980Ti.

Last edited by Asmodian; 8th November 2015 at 22:53.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 22:48   #34160  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Running something in between doubling and quadrupling can make things a lot more complex. If doubling and quadrupling can be done "uninterrupted", I can do it directly in OpenCL without having to involve D3D in between. If shaders need to be run in between, there's a lot of interop back and forth going on. That might explain the performance difference. In any case, as I said before, the plan for the "final" sharpening solution will be to run all sharpening on the fully upscaled video and not in between. But the algos need some improvements to make that work well for big upscaling factors.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling