Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 29th October 2018, 23:30   #181  |  Link
LeMoi

If I have a 3hr file and want to cut some part of it to have a 2hr one, AFAIK, I have to:
- open original_file.mkv
- cut with timecodes, for example I want to keep the parts 00:00:00.000-01:00:00.000,02:00:00.000-03:00:00.000
- then I have two 1hr files, original_file-001.mkv and original_file-002.mkv
- open the first one in the GUI, and append the second one, then mux and I'll have the 2hr original_file-001.mkv+original_file-002.mkv=target_file.mkv

Is there a way to skip the intermediate part1 and part2 files, and mux directly from original_file.mkv to target_file.mkv?
The app would read and mux the first hour, stop muxing and keep reading until the second hour, then restart to mux, in order to have only one final target file?
I know this is a feature request, AFAIK MKVToolnix GUI doesn't allow to do so, would it be possible to add this option in the future?

Thanks in advance!
LeMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 01:12   #182  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Yes there is a way, insert a "+" in front of the second timestamp pair.

Code:
00:00:00.000-01:00:00.000,+02:00:00.000-03:00:00.000
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 01:18   #183  |  Link
mkver

Use "00:00:00.000-01:00:00.000,+02:00:00.000-03:00:00.000". (That's by the way included in both the ballon help in the GUI as well as in the documentation. Where did you get the idea that it isn't possible from?)

Last edited by mkver; 30th October 2018 at 01:20.
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 18:54   #184  |  Link
mood

@Mosu

on windows 7 pro 32bit the mkvtoolnix-32-bit-28.2.0-revision-006 and revision-008 "mkvtoolnix-gui.exe" crash on startup

revision-005 works fine

Last edited by mood; 31st October 2018 at 18:57.
mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 20:34   #185  |  Link
mkver

@mood: This has just been fixed and the new continuous build is up.
Old 31st October 2018, 23:28   #186  |  Link
mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
@mood: This has just been fixed and the new continuous build is up.
oh, oki, thanks...

when I made the post the lastest build it was revision-008
mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 01:31   #187  |  Link
mkver

I know. Inspired by your post I made a bug report on GitLab (that's the proper place for MKVToolNix bug reports) and mosu fixed it quickly.
Old 1st November 2018, 13:35   #188  |  Link
LeMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
Yes there is a way, insert a "+" in front of the second timestamp pair.

Code:
00:00:00.000-01:00:00.000,+02:00:00.000-03:00:00.000
Thanks for the tip!
LeMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 14:03   #189  |  Link
zaemon

Hello.

madshi has been working for some time now to improve HDR tone mapping in madVR. The relevant thread can be found on AVS forums. As of now, madVR is able to parse HDR files in order to measure nits content of files (thus producing an HDR measurement file). Me and others encountered problems with remuxes done with MKVToolNix, where the same remuxes done with MakeMKV were fine (MKVToolNix remuxes yielded incomplete HDR measurement files with seamless branched movies). madshi reported that the problematic remuxes done with MKVToolNix had weird timestamp.

At this point I'm switching to MakeMKV for all my future remuxes and will redo problematic remuxes (hopefully only seamless branched titles). I just wanted to make some people here aware of the "problem", maybe someone could investigate it further and fix whatever needs to be fixed (not saying something's wrong with MKVToolNix per se).

I'm willing to provide more information if someone requests it.

In a non related topic, my experience with MKVToolNix is that the tool is way slower than MakeMKV for the same task. MakeMKV is 2-3x faster for remuxing purpose. Does anyone noticed this?

Thanks.

zaemon

Last edited by zaemon; 3rd November 2018 at 14:08.
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 19:20   #190  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

MKVToolNIX(MTX) has indeed a small issue while muxing seamless branching discs.
https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/issues/2051
A workaround is to process the audio streams with eac3to.
MTX is able to preserve multi edition seamless branching discs with the help of chapterEditor, Makemkv can't do this.
Old 3rd November 2018, 20:56   #191  |  Link
mkver

@zaemon:
1. mkvmerge compresses the subtitles with zlib (to save some space), MakeMKV doesn't. This might make a bit of difference, but I don't think it could explain what you experienced.
2. What version of mkvmerge were you using to remux the files? Version 18.0 greatly improved the speed of remuxing H.264 and H.265 from unframed sources (everything except mp4 and mkv). And version 25.0 was the first (release) version that had a bug affecting seamless branching Blurays fixed. I will test if newer versions of mkvmerge are still slower.
3. There might of course still be a bug in mkvmerge. And for this the right place is actually on GitLab, not here in this thread. If you still have this bug with a recent version of mkvmerge (Here are the latest continuous builds of MKVToolNix. The very latest of it contains a new option should the GUI look bad because of High DPI stuff. (High DPI awareness has been enabled since version 28.0 and some users reported problems -- this does of course not affect the cli tools in any way.)) What you can do then: You can upload the output of mkvinfo -v -v -r <output.log> <Input.mkv>, where <Input.mkv> is once the file created by a recent version of mkvmerge and once the file created by MakeMKV. Upload it somewhere (normally, I'd say that you should upload it to the server of the MKVToolNix author, but I want to look at it myself, so please upload it to somewhere where I can get it (you may of course also upload it to his ftp-server, too)). And if you want mosu to be able to take a look at it, you should upload the whole, unencrypted disc to his ftp-server.

PS: It would have been nice if you had directly linked to the avsforum thread. Although I have to say that it really doesn't contain more relevant information than "Madshi said the timestamps are weird".
Old 4th November 2018, 00:06   #192  |  Link
zaemon

Thanks to both of you. First I'll try the eac3to method. I think it will be useful to know out of the three methods which one works. Now again, I had no problem with MKVToolNix prior to doing measurement with madVR: no warning, no error, no playback issue. I wouldn't consider it a bug at this point. But it's a fact that MKVToolNix's seamless branched remuxes are not compatible with the current dev version of madVR regarding HDR measurement files.

As for speeds, this does not really concern me but I was just curious to know why there was so much difference with MakeMKV.
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 00:17   #193  |  Link
mkver

And which version of mkvmerge did you use?
Old 20th November 2018, 03:32   #194  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Mosu

I have opened a thread: And the WebM file in this project could not be recognized by mkvmerge. Also the .vtt file on this github project could not be loaded into MTX-GUI.
Could you have a look?

Last edited by hubblec4; 20th November 2018 at 03:34.
Old 20th November 2018, 14:28   #195  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Both the WebM file and the VTT file can be read & muxed by mkvmerge 28.2.0 just fine here. The resulting file plays fine in VLC; subtitles are shown.

Did you right-click & "save as" perhaps? That way you might end up with HTML code being downloaded, not the actual files.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 16:32   #196  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Wow, thanks Mosu you are right, I saved it with a rigth-click.
I had never thought that this is the issue.
Old 1st December 2018, 13:10   #197  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v29.0.0 released

Hey,

it's time for MKVToolNix v29.0.0 which fixes a couple of bugs and adds one or two new features.

There were two important changes for package managers regarding library dependencies. Please see the NEWS below for details.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Quote:
# Version 29.0.0 "Like It Or Not" 2018-12-01

## Important notes

* The string formatting library used was switched from `boost::format` to [`fmt`](http://fmtlib.net/). See the section "Build system changes" for details.

## New features and enhancements

* MKVToolNix GUI: added an option in the preferences for disabling automatic scaling for high DPI displays. Implements #2415.
* MKVToolNix GUI: the GUI will now prevent the system from going to sleep while the job queue is running. This feature is implemented for macOS, Windows and Linux/Unix systems where the `org.freedesktop.login1.Manager` D-Bus interface is available. Implements #2411.

## Bug fixes

* mkvmerge: chapter generation: the start timestamps of chapters generated in intervals was wrong for files whose smallest video timestamp was bigger than 0. Fixes #2432.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: fixed handling of atoms whose size exceeds the parent atom's size. Fixes #2431.
* mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI's chapter editor: the chapter name template will now also be used when reading Ogg-style chapter files with empty chapter names. Fixes #2441.
* mkvextract: AAC: mkvextract will now write the program config element (PCE) before the first AAC raw data packet if the PCE is present in the `AudioSpecificConfig` structure in the `Codec Private` Matroska element. The PCE carries vital information about the number of channels and is required in certain cases. Fixes #2205 and #2433.
* mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI's header editor: in situations when a one-byte space must be covered by a new EBML void element the following element must be moved up instead. If that moved element is a cluster, the corresponding cue entries will now be updated to reflect the cluster's new position. Fixes #2408.
* MKVToolNix GUI: Windows: the application manifest is now included properly so that Windows actually recognizes it. See #2415.

## Build system changes

* Qt's D-Bus implementation is now required for building on systems other than macOS and Windows,
* The `boost::format` library is not used anymore.
* The [`fmt` library](http://fmtlib.net/) is now required. Versions 3 and newer are supported. As not all Linux distributions include packages for the library, its release 5.2.1 comes bundled with MKVToolNix. The `configure` script will check for a system version of the library and use it if present and recent enough. Otherwise it will fall back to the bundled version and link that statically.
Have fun

Old 16th December 2018, 02:53   #198  |  Link
kuchikirukia

I have some UI suggestions that might improve the usability of the GUI.
I've noticed the GUI is really big. I find myself moving it around the screen a lot to get behind it to get to Explorer to pick files to throw in it. The main snag with making the window smaller seems to be that you lose sight of the mux button and have to scroll down to find it. As soon as you collapse smaller than 678 pix high you start to lose those buttons.
If it's at all possible to move the buttons to the status bar it would fix this problem.

Here's the current smallest without getting any scroll bars:

Proposed change:

Buttons are moved to status bar.

Add Source Files label gets reduced to Add Files
Start Multiplexing label gets reduced to Start Mux
Add to Job Queue label gets reducted to Add to Queue
(so now the buttons can be a little smaller)

Jobs to Execute reduced to just Jobs
Automatic shortened to Auto
Warnings shortened to warn

This gives room for the buttons in the same space as the current default.

That would allow us to resize it vertically to this and still be perfectly usable:

And if it's at all possible to have the status bar UI collapse onto the "Jobs to execute" bar when resized horizontally, it could further be resized down to this:

The Jobs bar is nice but not exactly vital to the basic use, so collapsing down on it would lose almost nothing.

(Also, Save buttons would be nice on the chapter editor)

Last edited by kuchikirukia; 16th December 2018 at 03:00.
kuchikirukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 08:19   #199  |  Link
mkver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
I find myself moving it around the screen a lot to get behind it to get to Explorer to pick files to throw in it.
My solution for this is to include MKVToolNix in the "Open with" list of the file types that are processed with MKVToolNix.
Old 16th December 2018, 11:20   #200  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
I have some UI suggestions that might improve the usability of the GUI.
Thanks for the suggestions. I won't implement any of them as they aren't going in a direction I want to take the GUI in. I simply don't support such low resolutions.

Tags
matroska