Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th January 2017, 17:01   #1721  |  Link
drpepper

Hey folks, I'm fairly new here but I already have a problem, haha.

So I was trying to encode a video that I created using Vegas Pro 13.0 with staxrip. But when I try to load my source file (in this case, the video file is about 350 GB) and choose AviSynth+ as source filter I get an error:
Quote:
"Failed to open source, try another filter? System exception - Access violation (C:\Users\Jan\Videos\2016_1_temp\2016_1_Source.avs, line 2)".
Now, this is peculiar because I cannot seem to find the cause of this problem. My AviSynth script is actually very simple and I didn't write it myself, it was generated automatically by staxrip.
Quote:
LoadPlugin("C:\Users\Jan\Documents\Zeug\Programme\staxrip\Apps\Plugins\both\ffms2\ffms2.dll")
FFVideoSource("C:\Users\Jan\Videos\2016_1.avi", cachefile = "C:\Users\Jan\Videos\2016_1_temp\2016_1.ffindex")
ConvertToYV12()
I tried using other source filters, but none of them worked. This left me a little puzzled since I don't understand any of this. I don't know if this is relevant, but here are the MediaInfo of my source file:
Quote:
General
Complete name : C:\Users\Jan\Videos\2016_1.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 337 GiB
Duration : 58 min 11 s
Overall bit rate : 830 Mb/s
TCOD : 0
TCDO : 34916800000

Video
ID : 0
Format : YUV
Codec ID : UYVY
Codec ID/Info : Uncompressed 16bpp. YUV 4:2:2 (Y sample at every pixel, U and V sampled at every second pixel horizontally on each line). A macropixel contains 2 pixels in 1 u_int32.
Duration : 58 min 11 s
Bit rate : 829 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
Compression mode : Lossless
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 16.000
Stream size : 337 GiB (100%)
So, can anybody shed some light on this please ?

Last edited by drpepper; 19th January 2017 at 16:54.
drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 22:27   #1722  |  Link
dracore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLai View Post
You didn't even mention which encoder.
If I didn't bother to check your post at videohelp forum, nobody will even bother to help you.

Or if you use latest Staxrip beta.

thank you
dracore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 00:52   #1723  |  Link
chummy

I dont know if that is the best place to talk about this but since the noticed issue started with Youtube i would say here. A guy noticed than when uploading Nvenc source to Youtube the reencoding results were worse than feeding with x264 source. So i tried samething and find same problem. Then i decided to reencode at low bitrate with my own x264 software from both NVENC and x264 high bitrate sources which you will not notice quality difference and i see than samething happens, when reencoding at low bitrate like youtube (1080p@5mbit) NVENC source give worse result. With Quicksync happened samething. Is that something was already known?
chummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 01:34   #1724  |  Link
spon

Hi everyone. JohnLai posted some recommended QSVEncC HW encoding settings for me a few months back that have been helpful. http://i.imgur.com/OaGdzPs.jpg

I just updated to the latest Staxrip and Rigaya QSVEncC and was wondering if any of the recommendations have changed. Thanks for any advice!
spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 15:54   #1725  |  Link
Yups

Quote:
Originally Posted by spon View Post
Hi everyone. JohnLai posted some recommended QSVEncC HW encoding settings for me a few months back that have been helpful. http://i.imgur.com/OaGdzPs.jpg

I just updated to the latest Staxrip and Rigaya QSVEncC and was wondering if any of the recommendations have changed. Thanks for any advice!

His recommendation is flawed. B-frames over 4 results in playback issues when converting with a low bitrate, TU4 and even more TU1 is dead slow under H265 because Intels GPU is too slow, it's a bad tradeoff. You may try TU4 which is slow, but forget about TU1. Ref frames 5 - never saw improvements in real world over 3. MBBR is enabled by default, no matter if you disable or enable it, it won't change anything. It runs enabled even if you try to disable it. ICQ Bitrate mode has lower quality than VBR, yes it has some benefits over VBR in some cases but it can be really poor in static scenes for example. Better go with VBR as a starting point. The non QSV decoder is much slower with more CPU use, only use it if you need scenechange (doesn't work with QSV decoding)
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 18:05   #1726  |  Link
JohnLai

-.- Spon wants the best possible out of Intel HEVC encoding. Those options are the best possible options.

B-frame over 4 only problematic for smartphone or low end devices. Beside, Intel is using GPB, which mean, IBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB, might as well as max it and leave it to 'scenechange' to insert new I-frame when it is necessary......
TU1 --> Remember 32x32 CU? Efficiency?
REF --> Real world, not really, in synthetic PSNR, there is an impact.
Oh, I think you are the one who provide me the HEVC sample last time for Intel. Technically, the reference top out* at 2 frames. The third reference frame only account for around 1-5%.

Example from your Intel HEVC sample last time with 3 reference frame. (Note, Frame number 40 is being analysed)
Reference pictures % Pixels
29 1.26 26240
33 39.80 831488
37 77.37 1616320

But, for animated content, high count of reference frames are very useful.

ICQ ---> which is why 'scenechange' enabled to minimize static scene artifact. Note, VBR is worse than ICQ in my test.
Decoder ---> That why I wrote only use QSVENC as decoder if one is certain the source file can be QSV-decoded.

Last edited by JohnLai; 26th January 2017 at 18:21.
JohnLai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 18:39   #1727  |  Link
spon

Yups & JohnLai -

Thank you both for your responses. It's interesting to see the differing opinions. I'm going to try them both and see which one looks better to my eyes.

One question - I can't seem to find the TU1/TU4 that you reference. Which menu is is located in - Basic, Slice, Rate Control, Motion Search, Porfile, Performance, Bitstream, VPP, VUI, Deinterlace or Other? Also, can the latest version of QSVEnnC encode 10bit? I saw a reference to it on Rigaya's site, but don't see anything in Staxrip.

Thanks again
Old 26th January 2017, 18:46   #1728  |  Link
JohnLai

It is at Basic --> Quality/Speed

Best = TU1
Fastest = TU7
You know the rest.

EDIT: Latest Qsvencc can encode HEVC* 10bit just fine....if you have kaby lake cpu......
Old 26th January 2017, 19:07   #1729  |  Link
spon

Quote:
It is at Basic --> Quality/Speed

Best = TU1
Fastest = TU7
You know the rest.

EDIT: Latest Qsvencc can encode HEVC* 10bit just fine....if you have kaby lake cpu......
Ahhh ok, thanks John. I don't mind the slowness of the TU1 - it's still exponentially faster than Handbrake.

I have a skylake CPU, so probably no-go on 10but.

Thanks again
Old 28th January 2017, 07:13   #1730  |  Link
NikosD

@Stax76

Hello Frank.

A brand new VCEEncC v3.01 HW encoder for AMD is here:
http://rigaya34589.blog135.fc2.com/b...ry-891.html?sp

It has a few new options for H.264 and it's the first one with H.265 HW encoding support for Polaris cards and newer.

Rigaya has also added some other useful features like HW decoding, --check-features etc
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 14:41   #1731  |  Link
Yups

Quote:

B-frame over 4 only problematic for smartphone or low end devices.
I'm running a i7-7700k, would you call it a low end device? B-frames over 4 requires some amount of minimum bitrate, a 1080p video with 3 Mbps isn't going to work. It's clear you didn't test anything in real world. And ICQ is below VBR in image quality, confirmed by Intel (and me).
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 15:10   #1732  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yups View Post
I'm running a i7-7700k, would you call it a low end device? B-frames over 4 requires some amount of minimum bitrate, a 1080p video with 3 Mbps isn't going to work. It's clear you didn't test anything in real world. And ICQ is below VBR in image quality, confirmed by Intel (and me).
Duh.....I don't have skylake/kaby based system, being saying this since forever. The only QSV HEVC sample I have and tested was from you.

Beside, I can only test lotta B-frames with Haswell H264 (IPBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB). I am certain ICQ is better than VBR for H264 from PSNR and MSSIM analysis. Some old smartphone has problem decoding H264 with a lot of B-frames, but generally, PC discrete GPU can decode such video just fine.

I assume it would be the same for intel HEVC.

Anyway, I had been requesting QSV HEVC sample with many b-frames and refs from you for some time now......
Old 28th January 2017, 15:23   #1733  |  Link
NikosD

ICQ for H.264 is A LOT better than VBR.

No idea regarding HEVC though.

After lots of test with Haswell, my opinion is that plain ICQ is the best mode for Haswell H.264 HW encoding.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 01:57   #1734  |  Link
Magik Mark

Guys,

Which among the resizer is the best for 2160p->1080p?
Old 30th January 2017, 04:19   #1735  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Guys,

Which among the resizer is the best for 2160p->1080p?
Downscaling?
Stick with avisynth default BicubicResize.

BicubicResize default value parameters b (0) and c (0.5) = Cubic-Catmull-Rom spline.

Hmmm.....for you to learn more about b and c as well as resampling filter.....you must visit http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/filter/

I propose you to read from the beginning. Critical reading for your question is at Mitchell-Netravali Filter section

*Note: don't skip the reading at imagemagick site. Some links at the site had become rotten due to time passing.......May the information can be a help for your question.
Old 30th January 2017, 04:57   #1736  |  Link
Magik Mark

Thanks john! That's what I did. I used the default settings in staxrip. Do you happen to know as well if the default setting extends to retaining the original aspect ratio?
Old 30th January 2017, 07:11   #1737  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Thanks john! That's what I did. I used the default settings in staxrip. Do you happen to know as well if the default setting extends to retaining the original aspect ratio?

I thought staxrip has Resize's DAR, SAR and PAR settings plus Output Mod for retaining original aspect ratio right next to the "Filters"?
Old 30th January 2017, 07:16   #1738  |  Link
Magik Mark

Yeah, there is. Not sure how to interpret it. Dunno if the values there indicate same aspect ratio
Old 30th January 2017, 07:40   #1739  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Yeah, there is. Not sure how to interpret it. Dunno if the values there indicate same aspect ratio
As you move around the resize slider and selecting the resolution, make sure the DAR,PAR,SAR match the original source DAR,PAR,SAR

One can click on PAR for more selection:

Back in the day when H264 just made it first appearance on satellite/terrestrial broadcast, some broadcaster broadcasted video with frame size 1440x1080 (for bandwidth cost reason), but for video to be properly displayed, it need to be stretched to 1920x1080. Kinda similar method for anamorphic DVD-Video too.

I remembered I screwed up with my DVD archives after resizing without noticing the DAR. The good old day of XVID encoding......
Old 30th January 2017, 07:54   #1740  |  Link
Magik Mark

Thanks John