Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 22nd March 2021, 02:19   #19021  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBroSam View Post
Actually I'm facing an issue with HDRtoSDR tonemapping. Currently I'm using v1.26.0. But when I encode a movie in 1080p SDR format from a 4K HDR REMUX source by turning on the Tonemap option, the output I got is little bit Darker. While the 1080p REMUX source of that same movie is very light and colorful. So are there any tweak settings that can fixed this issue?
So first of all, why are you downsizing from good HDR 4K to SDR 1080p ?? Haven't you got a TV that can play 4K ??

So, when you load your file into RipBot and go to this page, do you have the "Tonemap" option enabled ??

The Tonemap options changed a while back.

Also, do you check the "preview" once you've done you settings ??

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 18th June 2021 at 01:48.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:36   #19022  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

you will have to manually tweak values in file HDRtoSDR.avs
this line
Code:
video=ConverXYZ_BT2446_C_HDRtoSDR(video,PQMode=true,Lhdr=50000.0,Lsdr=100.0,pColor=0,pct_ref=0.6,pct_ip=0.6,pct_wp=1.0,pct_sdr_skin=1.0,pct_hdr_skin=0.44,threads=1)
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:31   #19023  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

thanx for getting back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
How can you have filename with "?" character ???
If files from a unix share are used for example. Lots of possibilities.
Quote:
variable frame rate has been always a pain in the ass...
I know
Quote:
Works as intended. Job is a job. You change something then you start from the scratch.
Well - if the whole video stream is encoded and only the audio stream changes or is added - why encode the whole videostream again? ("oops, forgott second audio, lets add it" - now THE WHOLE job incldugin video encoding is done again - instead of only the second audio stream...).
I am fully aware that one can alwys deal with this kind of stuff manualy.

Quote:
Available only if input file is TS ,MTS, M2T or M2TS
Ah, I see. Thanx. Any chance of extending the "video copy" option to other containers?

Quote:
Will take a look...
Thanx
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:34   #19024  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
I agree 1000% that DE, IS the killer feature, nobody else has or seems to be attempting to add this to the likes of Staxrip or Handbrake.

Staxrip has a parallel encoding option, but that's just not the same

Hybrid is insanely complicated.

Handbrake is simple, has a plethora of video & audio encoding options, but single encoding.

But a few extras would make RB, just so, so much better, and put it at the "top of the heap".

I also have to say that "feauters", really confused me, but then I realised it was a typo. Oh, and just 3 or 4 new features would be plenty
Yeah, everybody always has a wish list Yesterday I thought: "cleaning up some cartoons would be nice - maybe I try to fiddle in anime4k in its avisynth version as a custom avs skript"... No luck so far, have to do more fiddling
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:17   #19025  |  Link
blacksapprow

@ProBroSam

Which player software are you using.

MegaCodecPack with MadVR combination gives good colors when playing UHD 4K content.
blacksapprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:31   #19026  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
Well - if the whole video stream is encoded and only the audio stream changes or is added - why encode the whole videostream again? ("oops, forgott second audio, lets add it" - now THE WHOLE job incldugin video encoding is done again - instead of only the second audio stream...).
I am fully aware that one can alwys deal with this kind of stuff manualy.
RipBot264 doesn't know you forgot, use MKVMerge
Quote:
You really should start considering more encoding options, for video & audio, eg:- VP9, NVEnc and E-AC3.
E-AC3 is very popular in series, anyone knows, is that a free codec?
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:33   #19027  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Hi slalom, it must be free, as you can very easily convert to E-AC3 using eac3to, which uses FFMEG.

And Handbrake does E-AC3 conversions, as well.
Old 23rd March 2021, 07:31   #19028  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
RipBot264 doesn't know you forgot, use MKVMerge
As I said, this can always done manualy, but that was not what I was asking.
If the answer to every issue or proposal would be: "do it yourself manualy" the point of feedback would be a little pointless

Quote:
google it

Just kidding... Dolby Digital is free nowadays, since the patents expired. DD+ Licences can be bought nowadays, but if it really is free for pesonal usw - I dont know.

Last edited by ReinerSchweinlin; 23rd March 2021 at 07:38.
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:40   #19029  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
As I said, this can always done manually, but that was not what I was asking.
If the answer to every issue or proposal would be: "do it yourself manually" the point of feedback would be a little pointless
So what where you asking ??

If you forget to add something to RB and then process it, you're going to either add it manually afterwards, or do it again !!!

RB can actually just process video, but it can't just process audio tracks.

And yes, some feedback IS pointless.

Quote:
google it

Just kidding... Dolby Digital is free nowadays, since the patents expired. DD+ License's can be bought nowadays, but if it really is free for personal use - I don't know.
I had already answered this.
Old 23rd March 2021, 16:12   #19030  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
As I said, this can always done manualy, but that was not what I was asking.
If the answer to every issue or proposal would be: "do it yourself manualy" the point of feedback would be a little pointless
Ok, you would have to add a new job with the encoded video (wait for the file to add), add from the other job the parts (subs/audio) you forgot, select "copy stream" for video (if it existed), press start and wait for it to mux
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2021, 03:55   #19031  |  Link
chainring

While I haven't tried it, an option to process audio and not video would be to feed it through VidCoder. Fast. Simple. Works great.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2021, 14:56   #19032  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
So what where you asking ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin
- If an already encoded (or partially encoded file) is edited and only the audio section is changed, the whole file is re-encoded again, even if the video already is done and muxed in the temp-folder.
My thought was: If a job already is finished and one wants to change something in the audio section, it would be nice if the already encoded video (of not changed) would be kept. At the moment, itīs encoded once more (which is unnecessary).
Since Ripbot keeps track of all the already encoded chunks, the check for "is video completed already" wouldnīt be too difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne
If you forget to add something to RB and then process it, you're going to either add it manually afterwards, or do it again !!!
I know, thatīs why I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin
I am fully aware that one can always deal with this kind of stuff manualy.
Quote:
RB can actually just process video, but it can't just process audio tracks.
Except in certain cases when the "copy video" option is possible

Don`t get me wrong, I am fully capable to solve these "problems" manualy. I just thought it would be a nice addition to ripbot. And since these functions are not very complicated, they might be considered. If not, fine with me, its a free peace of software and the decision to implement something or fix a bug or change something is up to Atak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne
I had already answered this.
So you think the info here is wrong?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...coding_formats
It mentions AC3 as free (patents exired), EAC not free.
So which is correct? looking up Dolby Labs Website, they offer licences, no mentioning of EAC being royalty free.
Just because some feature is included somehwere doesnīt mean itīs free as in "no patents, no royalty, open source...".
Old 24th March 2021, 14:59   #19033  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Ok, you would have to add a new job with the encoded video (wait for the file to add), add from the other job the parts (subs/audio) you forgot, select "copy stream" for video (if it existed), press start and wait for it to mux
Thanx I know - It can be done manualy. Ma thought was to solve it in Ripbot. Of course one can allways call up any muxer, ffmpeg, any other muxing GUI, etc...
Quote:
While I haven't tried it, an option to process audio and not video would be to feed it through VidCoder. Fast. Simple. Works great.
Thanx for the suggestion. At the moment, I use DMMediaencoder for stuff like this - or write a small batch file using mkv-muxer or ffmpeg via CLI.

Thanx all for participating, maybe I should have rephrased. I wasnīt looking for a solution, I was mentioning a behaviour, deducing a proposal in Ripbot.
Old 25th March 2021, 02:08   #19034  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:

So you think the info here is wrong?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...coding_formats
It mentions AC3 as free (patents expired), EAC not free.
So which is correct? looking up Dolby Labs Website, they offer license's, no mentioning of EAC being royalty free.
Just because some feature is included somewhere doesnīt mean itīs free as in "no patents, no royalty, open source...".
Well, if you can do an E-AC3 conversion with eac3to, Handbrake, and more (and they are free), then E-AC3 must be (that's my logic, anyway)
Old 25th March 2021, 02:17   #19035  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
At the moment, I use DMMediaencoder for stuff like this -
I had never heard of that app, so I Googled it, it's a little bit old (but whatever works, I guess)

Maybe you could try VidCoder, as chainring suggested, (it's current)
Old 25th March 2021, 04:05   #19036  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Thanx for getting back. Again, I am not searching for any other tool to do this I have plenty of solutions. I was making a suggestion for Ripbot.

But since its mentioned again - Vidcoder is a handbrake GUI - so not Video-passhtrough and no AAC-HE V2 (which - in my case is what I am using and Ripbot has it conviniently built in) - at least last time I checked..

Again, I could list dozens of solutions how to use OTHER Tools to do this - my intend was to make a proposal for Ripbot.

But thanx.
Old 25th March 2021, 04:13   #19037  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Thanx for getting back. Again, I am not searching for any other tool to do this I have plenty of solutions. I was making a suggestion for Ripbot.

But since its mentioned again - Vidcoder is a handbrake GUI - so not Video-passhtrough and no AAC-HE V2 (which - in my case is what I am using and Ripbot has it conviniently built in) - at least last time I checked..

Again, I could list dozens of solutions how to use OTHER Tools to do this - my intend was to make a proposal for Ripbot.

But thanx.
OK, well that's good that you have other options (as do I, when things go a bit pear shaped).

Yes, I noticed that VidCoder is built around Handbrake (not sure how that works), but I have never used VidCoder..I use Handbrake for certain things that I can't with RipBot.

Yes, a lot of us suggest updates, mod's & extra's, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

But like you say, it's free, it's Atak's "baby" so its completely up to him what he does & doesn't do
Old 25th March 2021, 16:42   #19038  |  Link
chainring

Quote:

But thanx.
Well, darn, you're correct. I must have been thinking of something else.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 01:55   #19039  |  Link
jlcpremier

I am using distributed encoding and recently upgraded to v1.26 on all machines. I've noticed that on just about every job, a slave machine or two hangs when it finishes encoding that chunk. It will stop at either :02, :01 or :00 seconds left. If I manually disable that node by clicking the network button, it will re-encode that chunk on another node, or I can go into the temp folder and usually the chunk is there so then I just have to run the CombineAllChunks.cmd
We are running a full 16 server distributed encoding farm. I've noticed this problem mainly when using the avisynth filters for Mdegrain2 and KNLMeansCL. Each server is an HP EliteDesk 800G1 w/i7 and 8GB RAM on SSD, solely being used with CPU encoding (no GPU)

Is there any settings I can check or change to make this more reliable? You can see an example of how a job looks when it hangs below

Last edited by jlcpremier; 26th March 2021 at 02:04.
jlcpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 02:34   #19040  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcpremier View Post
I am using distributed encoding and recently upgraded to v1.26 on all machines. I've noticed that on just about every job, a slave machine or two hangs when it finishes encoding that chunk. It will stop at either :02, :01 or :00 seconds left. If I manually disable that node by clicking the network button, it will re-encode that chunk on another node, or I can go into the temp folder and usually the chunk is there so then I just have to run the CombineAllChunks.cmd
We are running a full 16 server distributed encoding farm. I've noticed this problem mainly when using the avisynth filters for Mdegrain2 and KNLMeansCL. Each server is an HP EliteDesk 800G1 w/i7 and 8GB RAM on SSD, solely being used with CPU encoding (no GPU)

Is there any settings I can check or change to make this more reliable?
Welcome to the Forum.

Wow, 16 servers...nice

So was it working OK before the update to 1.26.0 ??

OK, for KNLMeanCL processing you need an appropriate, supported GPU.

MDegrain filters are pretty CPU intense, but shouldn't really cause any problems.

Also, do you know what version of Avisynth you're running (bottom of Encoding Server window is an easy way to check, you can simply run that from the RipBot264 installation folder).

So just out of interest, what were you encoding here (in reference to the screenshot) ?

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360