Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th March 2014, 04:03   #24341  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
While running with the DXVA2 and none options I saw it steadily creep up from 5.56ms to an ever increasing number as video playback continued (22+ms 2 and a half minutes into viewing with DXVA2, and 16+ms at the same point with None selected ... a bug in the readings perhaps...).
This is the declocking you mentioned, since madVR only needs a new frame every 33-41ms on 30-24fps content the GPU can declock until if feels it is only fast enough for its workload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Just wondering if maybe we should have 'Delay playback until render queues are full' enabled by default, not having it enabled shows multiple drops frames on playback of the next file in the playlist for me.
But is that worse then a longer startup time for most users? A few dropped frames right at the start of the video is hard to notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
Are most of you using MPC-HC or BE? I just tried BE and couldn't figure out how to get MadVR to work.
Zoom Player here.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 04:10   #24342  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Are most of you using MPC-HC or BE? I just tried BE and couldn't figure out how to get MadVR to work.
Options -> Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video -> MadVR

If you don't see an entry for madVR, you probably downloaded the 64-bit version by mistake. madVR is 32-bit only.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 04:27   #24343  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
But is that worse then a longer startup time for most users? A few dropped frames right at the start of the video is hard to notice.
Well we do want to avoid dropped frames right? Half a second of longer start up time is hard to notice also.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 04:35   #24344  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Indeed, that reason alone is debatable.

However, I found out that when you donīt enable this, I couldnīt view some still images, where I just got a black screen instead. If I enabled that option, madVR then filled up the queues (since itīs a still picture, it doesnīt have consecutive frames) and that solved the problem. That was with 0.87.4, however, and all the subsequent test builds.

Now, with 0.87.5 and after I had changed my queues to higher values I suddenly have a black screen all the time and I am not sure whatīs the problem. Enabling that option suddenly doesnīt help anymore.

Hereīs a test file, which always shows as a black screen for me:
BWRamp.tif

Iīm not sure how to solve this "problem" with 0.87.5, yet. If we can reproduce this, this should maybe be reported as a bug?!

Last edited by iSunrise; 6th March 2014 at 04:37.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 04:35   #24345  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Here's the result of R9 290X...

This is the result of upscaling to 1440 with a H.265 encoded video, rendering time is 10-30% longer with bluray, ouch! If you are upscaling to 4k expect the time to be even longer.
I really appreciate the performance data you have captured in an easily to digest form. Your dedication is to be commended regardless of public recognition (or not). Others have attempted to simplify the MadVR option choices based on pure performance (objectivity) but eventually became frustrated with the ongoing complexity (never ending exceptions) of the task, not to mention the subjectivity involved in making those choices.

My next upgrade will be a '4K' display - most likely a Sony 55" XBR-55X850A. I currently am using a Sony KDL 40W3000 (for the past 6 years through out numerous PC upgrades) and have been *very* satisfied by how well it has served as an arms-length 'PC monitor'. I've never viewed 'TV' on it... I firmly believe 4K will be of more use to me than most folks intending to use it for 'entertainment' purposes.

Therefore I view your AMD/MadVR/MPC-HC findings with great interest. Don't get discouraged if you think your hard work is going unrecognized - you are learning a hellava lot about how it all plays together (or doesn't) in your bench-marking exercise. Thanks again :-)

Last edited by MistahBonzai; 6th March 2014 at 04:41.
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 04:42   #24346  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

"Delay playback start" unfortunately is not bug free. In the past there have been reports of playback failing to start at all with certain filter combinations, and I even have a couple bugs [1] [2] opened about other quirks with it. This is one of those options which is best left to users to enable themselves, until madshi stabilizes the implementation a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
Hereīs a test file, which always shows as a black screen for me:
BWRamp.tif

Iīm not sure how to solve this "problem" with 0.87.5, yet. If we can reproduce this, this should maybe be reported as a bug?!
No issue here. Are you sure it's not this bug I reported which is causing your issue?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 6th March 2014 at 04:45.
Old 6th March 2014, 04:54   #24347  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
Now, with 0.87.5 and after I had changed my queues to higher values I suddenly have a black screen all the time and I am not sure whatīs the problem. Enabling that option suddenly doesnīt help anymore.

Hereīs a test file, which always shows as a black screen for me BWRamp.tif

Hmmm... Same here. I was viewing images with MadVR earlier today prior to the upgrade from my 'patched' 87.4 to the 87.5 release. Your image displays when launched in a small window but the screen goes black when going full screen. Also the status text appears very large/low rez in the windowed display. Do you intend to log a bug report or should I?

False alarm!! I had a Avisynth script active in FFdshow as an external filter. Disabling ffdshow (avisynth script processing) fixed the issue. Supported images (including BWRamp.tif) display properly. While on the subject of MadVR image viewing..is there a simple way of incrementing through images in a folder? I googled and came up empty...

Last edited by MistahBonzai; 6th March 2014 at 05:09.
Old 6th March 2014, 05:12   #24348  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
"Delay playback start" unfortunately is not bug free. I even have a couple bugs [1] [2] opened about other quirks with it.
Are those bugs still there when tested with the latest versions?
Old 6th March 2014, 05:35   #24349  |  Link
JonnyRedHed

I seem to be getting a madvr 0.87.5 crash (it then sends a report - when I can fill out the details before zoom player crashes) and then next time its zoom player that crashes. When I am full screen and click the control bar 'Next track' when at the end of a file. Or use my mouse shortcut button.

Just seems to be whilst in full screen with this new 0.87.5. I'd never seen the madvr crash reporter before today. Very rarely have zoom player crashes, never mind madvr crashes.

Reverting back to default release 0.87.4 fixes the issue.

0.87.5, either clicking next track or letting the video change to the next video on its own whilst in full screen this seems to either crash madvr and brings up the crash reporter, but it then stops the crash reporter as I'm going through its steps, with a zoom player crash. So I rarely get a chance to fill out the madvr crash reporter.

I did lower the cpu queue to 20 and gpu queue to 12 - no effect on the crashing. But reverting to 0.87.4 does fix things as I mentioned.

Zoom Player 8.7 b33
madvr 0.87.5
LAV 0.61.0.0
Win7 SP1 x64
i5 2500k
16 GB ram
NV GTX 670 2GB

Last edited by JonnyRedHed; 6th March 2014 at 06:35. Reason: my cat ate my brain
JonnyRedHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 05:41   #24350  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Are you sure it's not this bug I reported which is causing your issue?
That 'bug'(?) remains repeatable with madVR v0.87.5.
Configuration:
  1. Win7 (sp1) 64-bit.
  2. i7-3770 64-bit.
  3. HD-7850.
  4. MPC-HC 1.7.3.88.
  5. LAV 0.61.0.0.
  6. madVR v0.87.5.
  7. XySubFilter 3.1.0.682.

Last edited by MistahBonzai; 6th March 2014 at 05:49.
Old 6th March 2014, 05:48   #24351  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
I really appreciate the performance data you have captured in an easily to digest form. Your dedication is to be commended regardless of public recognition (or not). Others have attempted to simplify the MadVR option choices based on pure performance (objectivity) but eventually became frustrated with the ongoing complexity (never ending exceptions) of the task, not to mention the subjectivity involved in making those choices.

My next upgrade will be a '4K' display - most likely a Sony 55" XBR-55X850A. I currently am using a Sony KDL 40W3000 (for the past 6 years through out numerous PC upgrades) and have been *very* satisfied by how well it has served as an arms-length 'PC monitor'. I've never viewed 'TV' on it... I firmly believe 4K will be of more use to me than most folks intending to use it for 'entertainment' purposes.

Therefore I view your AMD/MadVR/MPC-HC findings with great interest. Don't get discouraged if you think your hard work is going unrecognized - you are learning a hellava lot about how it all plays together (or doesn't) in your bench-marking exercise. Thanks again :-)
Glad I could help!

Just a word of caution to everyone that no one should view those numbers as absolute, the main purpose was to compare the performance difference between different cards. With the same setting I got different rendering times with H.264, H.265 and bluray videos, sometimes the difference is quite big (like 35%). I think it has to do with encoding but I am not 100% sure.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 05:56   #24352  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
...Just a word of caution to everyone that no one should view those numbers as absolute, the main purpose was to compare the performance difference between different cards...
Understood - in the end it's all 'relative'.
Old 6th March 2014, 06:03   #24353  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Quote:
"Delay playback start" unfortunately is not bug free. I even have a couple bugs [1] [2] opened about other quirks with it.
Are those bugs still there when tested with the latest versions?
Hmm... It looks like Issue #5 with DirectShowSource seeking may have been resolved by coincidence in 0.87.5, as it was still reproducible in 0.87.4.

Issue #104 I'm still able to reproduce in 0.87.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
That 'bug'(?) remains repeatable with madVR v0.87.5.
Since I don't watch any PAL content, I just workaround the problem by setting a special rule to disable Smooth Motion with 25fps, which LAV Filters always reports for still images.

if (srcFPS = 25)

Last edited by cyberbeing; 6th March 2014 at 06:19.
Old 6th March 2014, 06:20   #24354  |  Link
ryrynz

I've actually encountered a number of times on my HTPC where the playback just pauses like you describe in 104. I'm not toggling the subtitles either.
It doesn't happen very often, I thought it might have been a media player/network streaming issue.. but perhaps it's not.
Old 6th March 2014, 07:01   #24355  |  Link
6ari8

Thanks for the update!

I'm not sure if this is only happening to me, but when I minimize the player that was on my secondary monitor (extended), regardless of whether it was paused or playing, the player freezes and it has a black screen when brought back and I'm unable to close it without ending the process from the task manager. I've tested with both the latest MPC-BE and MPC-HC.

If the player was on the main monitor, no freeze occurs.

EDIT: Forgot to say that XySubfilter isn't loaded, different combinations of rendering>general settings and different dithering settings give the same result.

EDIT2:

I shouldve mentioned that I use ReClock.

When I use ReClock, the issue mentioned previously occurs.

When not using ReClock, the freeze doesn't occur but when I bring back the minimized window, the first frame that appears is strange:

http://imageshack.com/a/img138/5719/mmhr.png

It stays for less than a second then it goes back to normal. When I kept minimizing and maximizing, It mostly happens but sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it's replaced by a black frame. The number characters keep changing too. After many minimizing and maximizing, that frame doesn't appear and is replaced by a black frame.

Using:
MPC-BE/MPC-HC
LAV Fitlers 0.61.0
XySubfilter 3.1.0.682 (happense whether loaded or not)
Reclock 1.8.8.1
GeForce GT 650M, latest drivers (334.89)
Windows 7 SP1.

Last edited by 6ari8; 6th March 2014 at 07:59.
6ari8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 07:53   #24356  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
* fixed: #136: when playback is stopped, madVR now always turns the video off
Finally...
Also, when closing the video completely (Ctrl+C) in MPC-HC it clears the memory completely unlike before.
I'll say it again, this is a great build.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai
Thanks - I had been using 1.3.10 (MPC LumaSharpen Shader), 1.4.1 works just fine - I have it enabled as a "post resize shader".
BTW: Anyone expecting obvious razor sharp results need to look elsewhere - this shader is very subtle using the defaults when applied to good quality 720P being upsized to 1080P.
Maybe with default settings (they are very subtle).
But it can be extremely (ridiculously/unwatchable) sharp too.

Code:
#define sharp_strength 0.65
#define sharp_clamp 0.035
#define sharp_clamp = set the threshold of where the sharpening begins to take place.
The higher it is (max 1.0) the more the finer detail will get sharpened too (may lead to halo/ringing artifacts around edges).
With lower setting, only the "blurry" textures will get sharpened, leaving the finer (already sharp) detail untouched, thus preventing halo/ringing artifacts.

#define sharp_strength = Try 100 (with clamp 1.0).
The image will be so sharp it'll cut you...

Last edited by James Freeman; 6th March 2014 at 08:04.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 08:09   #24357  |  Link
burfadel

With version 0.87.5, when I am playing a video on a secondary screen, when it goes to the next (or previous) video, it crashes. I tried all different setting etc. to try and narrow down the cause, and also reset to default values, but nothing worked.

I then went back to 0.87.4 and it worked flawlessly as before (even when changing back to all the options I had before. I then copied over the files from MadVRFinalDither4, and it still worked flawlessly. I then tried MadVRyuvFullRange and that worked flawlessly too. Tried 0.87.5 again, crash! It is only 0.87.5 that doesn't work, so something changed between the final test build and the final version to cause this issue. It ONLY occurs when playing on the secondary screen.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 08:12   #24358  |  Link
turbojet

madshi: thanks for the new build, the blank screen overlay toggle issue seems fixed, also resizing overlay window is much smoother.

Try this if you want sharper lumasharpen:
#define sharp_strength 1.0
#define pattern 3
#define sharp_clamp 0.5

Pattern 3 does a much better job of limiting artifacts at higher strengths then 8 or any of the others. The 17 taps seems to help, I wish I knew how to use even more taps. You can raise strength if you really want sharp but I settled on 1.0 since it looked over sharpened above it.

Using it pre resize really helps sharpen fine details, but you should use lanczos resize with it the other resizers work against it. Using it pre and post resize isn't that big of a hit on gpu.

This really needs it's own thread the author, ceejay.dk, was going to make one.

Last edited by turbojet; 6th March 2014 at 08:32.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 10:21   #24359  |  Link
Shii

After updating to madVR 0.87.5 and xySubFilter to latest 3.1.0.682 Beta2 Zoom Player no longer loads subtitles via xysubfilter with Smart Play. Is any way to force loading subtitle filter without rolling back to 0.87.4?
Old 6th March 2014, 10:39   #24360  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Pattern 3 does a much better job of limiting artifacts at higher strengths then 8 or any of the others.
Thanks, for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Using it pre resize really helps sharpen fine details.
In lower res Pre resize works better because the size of the pixel is 1:1, effectively its just a small image in the middle in the native resolution of your screen, so the edge is pixel sharp for the algorithm to process (like it should be).

Quote:
but you should use lanczos resize with it the other resizers work against it.
Lanczos naturally sharpens the image and creates ringing as it goes, like most sharp upscalers.
The LumaSharpen shader does its thing without creating additional ringing because of the Threshold parameter.
Maybe when using this shader Pre resize its better to use a softer upscaler in madVR that does not create ringing, thus getting the best of both worlds.

This deserves another thread, so no more posting about it here.
I'll do some testing and report in a new thread, I think I'll call it "Image Sharpening & MadVR".

Last edited by James Freeman; 6th March 2014 at 11:03.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling