Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 7th June 2017, 22:58   #301  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Docked - what does it mean? Some screenshots may help.
In windows 7 or later, when you drag a window to the left/right edge of the screen, the window will auto maximize and take up half the size of the screen. Well that was just an example, basically, the filter preview window will not show up if you move the main window anywhere to the left side of the screen.

Quote:

And why you do that? Because right side is for browser to assist with drag-n-drop or something?

Just to explain my decisions:
- I never use shrinked main window except for testing. I made "maximize" option to get rid of title bar, and plan to acquire some remaining non-client space eventually.
- I assume if someone moved/shrinked main window, they want dependent windows be positioned/shrinked the same way.
um...because I multitask and sometime I don't need it. If I wanted to see a before/after effect, I would set a hotkey for toggle screen and tap it when I needed it.

Quote:
Last time I checked (year ago?) it wasn't working.
Ok so I'm not going to bother with AVS+ then, it's giving me a headache.

Last edited by lansing; 7th June 2017 at 23:00.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 15:53   #302  |  Link
lansing

I tried to open a vapoursynth script with 10 bit video output and I got an error "couldn't locate decompressor for format 'P010' (unknown)"
Old 12th June 2017, 16:11   #303  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
I tried to open a vapoursynth script with 10 bit video output and I got an error "couldn't locate decompressor for format 'P010' (unknown)"
https://sourceforge.net/p/vdfiltermo...-input-options
not implemented yet
Old 12th June 2017, 16:17   #304  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
ok thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 23:51   #305  |  Link
lansing

Hi, there's a bug in the capture mode. Every time I go to video->levels, the white balance will always reset to the far left of the bar, and a new ui window will come up each time

Last edited by lansing; 19th June 2017 at 23:55.
Old 20th June 2017, 00:16   #306  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Hi, there's a bug in the capture mode. Every time I go to video->levels, the white balance will always reset to the far left of the bar, and a new ui window will come up each time
Hi. It can help understanding if you make a screen recording of what is going on. However I don't remember myself touching that, do you see the same problem with classic vd? Also probably this is driver specific and hopeless. What is the capture device anyway?

p.s. Ok, the part with multiple windows is clear now, very simple

Last edited by shekh; 20th June 2017 at 00:20.
shekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 05:11   #307  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Hi. It can help understanding if you make a screen recording of what is going on. However I don't remember myself touching that, do you see the same problem with classic vd? Also probably this is driver specific and hopeless. What is the capture device anyway?

p.s. Ok, the part with multiple windows is clear now, very simple
Yeah this problem exist for a long time. I'm using a Logitech webcam, I can adjust the camera level through either Logitech's own "capture filter" or the level setting in Virtualdub, I like the latter one better because it has more controls. Every time I opened the levels window, the white balance will reset, it doesn't remember my previous setting, and my whole screen will turn blue-ish.

Old 21st June 2017, 03:41   #308  |  Link
lansing

Hi I have seeking problem with version 16. On a 1080p mkv, memory usage spiked to 100% and the program hangs when I tried to seek. On a blu-ray TS file, seeking will sometime give me an error "error reading source frame xxxx: requested frame not found"
Old 21st June 2017, 09:10   #309  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Hi I have seeking problem with version 16. On a 1080p mkv, memory usage spiked to 100% and the program hangs when I tried to seek.
Can you share the sample?

Quote:
On a blu-ray TS file, seeking will sometime give me an error "error reading source frame xxxx: requested frame not found"
This is planned behavior with some unlucky files. AFAIK TS lacks information for simple seeking, and I use just simple seeking as implemented in ffmpeg. Other possible reason: no keyframes in the file (intra refresh). Same story, simple seeking is not able to reach exact frame.
Old 21st June 2017, 16:34   #310  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Can you share the sample?
Oh I make a wrong description, the one that spikes up on seek is the cpu usage. Sample here, it's 720x546, seeking seems to work fine for the first 1:52, then any seek after that will spike cpu usage to 100%

sample

Quote:
This is planned behavior with some unlucky files. AFAIK TS lacks information for simple seeking, and I use just simple seeking as implemented in ffmpeg. Other possible reason: no keyframes in the file (intra refresh). Same story, simple seeking is not able to reach exact frame.
This happens to all my TS files, it either gives me this error or it just shows like 5 frames.

Another problem I saw, on a 1920x1080 x264 10 bit mkv, memory jumps to 3.2G on a few random seeks and capped there.

With a 1920x1080 x264 8 bit mkv, memory usage will cap at 1.6G on the same procedure.

And for both type above, clicking the play0 button will kind of froze the program. It didn't hangs but the program didn't respond to any command after.
Old 21st June 2017, 18:22   #311  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Oh I make a wrong description, the one that spikes up on seek is the cpu usage. Sample here, it's 720x546, seeking seems to work fine for the first 1:52, then any seek after that will spike cpu usage to 100%
Looks like "hangs" here is wrong too. Yes it takes time to decode but eventually it does finish.
I know one problem which I may try to solve: currently "caching input driver" does not allow to abort decoding. This can make a difference if you request one frame, and immediately request another. With fcchandler mkv driver you can do this, gui will appear more responsive, but to get any picture displayed you actually have to wait. It is a 250 frame gop.
Btw it may help if you see keyframes, press edit->markers from keys.

Quote:
Another problem I saw, on a 1920x1080 x264 10 bit mkv, memory jumps to 3.2G on a few random seeks and capped there.

With a 1920x1080 x264 8 bit mkv, memory usage will cap at 1.6G on the same procedure.

And for both type above, clicking the play0 button will kind of froze the program. It didn't hangs but the program didn't respond to any command after.
Nothing wrong about memory. With long gop and large frames it can take all your memory. You can see about memory use in "file information" dialog.
"didn't respond" is not good, did you have to terminate the process? How much memory you had (total physical)? Maybe OS tried hard to swap out to disk?
Old 21st June 2017, 23:36   #312  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Looks like "hangs" here is wrong too. Yes it takes time to decode but eventually it does finish.
I know one problem which I may try to solve: currently "caching input driver" does not allow to abort decoding. This can make a difference if you request one frame, and immediately request another. With fcchandler mkv driver you can do this, gui will appear more responsive, but to get any picture displayed you actually have to wait. It is a 250 frame gop.
Btw it may help if you see keyframes, press edit->markers from keys.

Nothing wrong about memory. With long gop and large frames it can take all your memory. You can see about memory use in "file information" dialog.
The sample is only 3 minutes out of a 2 hours long video. On the full video, one random seek will hangs the program for 3+ minutes, I lost patient after the 3 minute count, so the actual decoding time could be double or triple. And this problem only happens to a few of my videos, the rest seeks very fast.

I tried the same video on Avidemux, it only took about 6 seconds to create the index, and after that every seek and playback is instant displayed. And in comparison, the memory usage in Avidemux is significantly lower too. With a 1080p video, it needs no more than 170MB.

Quote:
"didn't respond" is not good, did you have to terminate the process? How much memory you had (total physical)? Maybe OS tried hard to swap out to disk?
I have 16G RAM. I think it has to do with needing more time to decode, the same as the seek problems
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:12   #313  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Having a video without a (valid) keyframe index is a quite probable reason for seeking issues, especially when the video stream has timecode discontinuities. You said it was better after Avidemux reconstructed such an index. Just remultiplexing the MKV might fix it.

TransportStreams don't store such an index at all, here the playback can only rely on video stream timecodes, and when the whole file is concatenated from different "programmes" with individual timecode ranges, then an "accurate" seeking will search the wrong offset forever (a "lazy" seeking would just play the next possible position based on the percentage of the file size).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:02   #314  |  Link
shekh

On a second look at "vd test.mkv" I see interesting problem. To reproduce: open, go-to frame 10000, see file information. It shows 10002 frames decoded vs expected ~250.
Now it is clear that when you seek 2 to hours into the video it wants to decode all 2 hours.
So it looks like some index heuristic failure. Maybe possible to fix.
Old 31st July 2017, 14:36   #315  |  Link
lansing

Hi I found another bug, the "swap input/output pane" function doesn't work if the size of the input pane is bigger than the size of the program window
Old 13th August 2017, 21:20   #316  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Hi I found another bug, the "swap input/output pane" function doesn't work if the size of the input pane is bigger than the size of the program window
fixed
shekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 22:41   #317  |  Link
lansing

I got a problem outputting Lagarith RGB compression. In the Lagarith setting, I set it to output RGB, but back at the compression selection window, the autoselect was forcing the output to YUV420.

Last edited by lansing; 25th August 2017 at 23:01.
Old 25th August 2017, 23:12   #318  |  Link
shekh

"Autoselect" option is based on input format, if you don't want it just select "24 bit RGB" or anything else.
Old 25th August 2017, 23:34   #319  |  Link
lansing

That autoselect option should also take consideration on what the individual compression codec uses as output, the users shouldn't need to do the same selection twice.
Old 26th August 2017, 10:06   #320  |  Link
jpsdr

I don't know if a codec has the possibility notify a "prefered" output format, or if you have access to the "internal" native compression format. From what i've understood (if i'm not wrong), you ask a codec if it can output a specific format, and it answer yes or no. So probably autoselect ask for the the format in a specific order, and stop at the first "yes" answer. Setting Lagarith to ouput RGB doesn't mean it forces RGB, it probably means it will answer "yes" if you ask "Can you output RGB".
I think it works like this, but shekh should confirm if i've not said something wrong.
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote