Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 9th October 2014, 09:12   #21561  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
The installer has to be missing something else. How could MS DTV-DVD still be the default?
m2ts sources uses the H264 FourCC with LAV, not AVC1, it looks like you changed the wrong FourCC for the preferred decoder.....
AVC1 is used for MKV/MP4 sources, and H264 for TS and similar, as they represent a different layout of the video stream (Annex B in H264 and MP4-style in AVC1)

Change {34363268...} and {34363248...} (to cover both h264 and H264) as well, and you should be good to go.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 9th October 2014 at 09:22.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 13:56   #21562  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
m2ts sources uses the H264 FourCC with LAV, not AVC1, it looks like you changed the wrong FourCC for the preferred decoder.....
AVC1 is used for MKV/MP4 sources, and H264 for TS and similar, as they represent a different layout of the video stream (Annex B in H264 and MP4-style in AVC1)

Change {34363268...} and {34363248...} (to cover both h264 and H264) as well, and you should be good to go.
Thanks, much appreciated. I'll give it a try.

Can one of the folks having issues look at these two registry keys and see what value you see?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred\{34363248-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred\{34363268-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th October 2014 at 14:26.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 14:30   #21563  |  Link
jdobbs

Ahhh... that explains it. Those two values had at some point been changed to FFDSHOW on my system -- and never changed back. But since FFDSHOW was no longer available, it appears the O/S was grabbing the next available decoder -- which in my case was LAV. I'm guessing, however, it was still set to the MS DTV-DVD CODEC for the people reporting the issue.

Hopefully this will close this chapter and I can get back to work on BD-RB...

Thanks much nevcairiel.

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th October 2014 at 14:32.
Old 9th October 2014, 14:31   #21564  |  Link
MajorEvent
Passed Newbie Inquisition

Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated. I'll give it a try.

Interesting, those two are already set to LAV on my system, even though I didn't add them to the installer.

Can one of the folks having issues look at these two registry keys and see what value you see?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred\{34363248-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred\{34363268-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorEvent View Post
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferrred\{34363248-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} and {34363268-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
This is the only other place I see the MS DTV-DVD codec listed in that part of the registry and I thought I saw H264 mentioned when I googled it. Just a long shot, what do I know.
I had already pointed out these were the only other places that had the MS DTV-DVD codec in that part of the registry.

A couple other weird things of note that probably only confuse the issue but when I used the tweaker to reset the H264 to MS, it worked. I checked the registry to make sure. When I got lavvideo to take with the tweaker, I didn't have to change anything, only hit apply.
MajorEvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 14:34   #21565  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I had already pointed out these were the only other places that had the MS DTV-DVD codec in that part of the registry.

A couple other weird things of note that probably only confuse the issue but when I used the tweaker to reset the H264 to MS, it worked. I checked the registry to make sure. When I got lavvideo to take with the tweaker, I didn't have to change anything, only hit apply.
I must have missed that. I've changed the installer to set those to default to LAV as well. Hopefully that will do the deed.

I misspoke when I said they were already set on my system (thus the edit). I was looking at the system that had run the tweaker. When I looked at my test/video encoding system -- it was set to FFDSHOW. Then things got clearer.

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th October 2014 at 14:38.
Old 9th October 2014, 14:41   #21566  |  Link
MajorEvent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Geez, I just learned something new. I never realized that h264 and H264 were different and have been reading/writing them as interchangeable. Filing that.

Last edited by MajorEvent; 9th October 2014 at 14:58.
Old 9th October 2014, 14:46   #21567  |  Link
MajorEvent

Quote:
I must have missed that. I've changed the installer to set those to default to LAV as well. Hopefully that will do the deed.

I misspoke when I said they were already set on my system (thus the edit). I was looking at the system that had run the tweaker. When I looked at my test/video encoding system -- it was set to FFDSHOW. Then things got clearer.
It was right after the crushing disappointment of the failure of my re-encode (The tears in your eyes probably occluded your vision ) and not like I know anything really, I was just scrutinizing the registry. Easy to miss.

I'll keep checking if you need me for a test run of the new installer. Ran a full backup yesterday so I'm bulletproof now.

Last edited by MajorEvent; 9th October 2014 at 14:49.
Old 9th October 2014, 14:59   #21568  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
It was right after the crushing disappointment of the failure of my re-encode (The tears in your eyes probably occluded your vision ) and not like I know anything really, I was just scrutinizing the registry. Easy to miss.

I'll keep checking if you need me for a test run of the new installer. Ran a full backup yesterday so I'm bulletproof now.
The only real test would be if you system was set back to a pristine state -- since you've already set the defaults via the tweaker.

But if you want to give it a try I've created LAVFilters-0.63-P.exe. I added the "P" (for Preferred) and changed the name of the first install screen to distinguish it from other versions. This one installs the filters like the original, but also sets LAV as the preferred decoder for AVC, VC-1, and MPEG-2.

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th October 2014 at 15:23.
Old 9th October 2014, 15:31   #21569  |  Link
Sharc

On my system the LAV video filters kick in as expected when I select "USE MERIT" via the tweak tool, because the LAV video has a MERIT_PREFERRED + 3.
It is however probably safer to force the LAV filters explicitly.
Should the settings made by the DB-RB installer be reset after exiting DB-RB in order not to break the filters with other applications, or can the settings be kept?
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 15:41   #21570  |  Link
MajorEvent

Quote:
The only real test would be if you system was set back to a pristine state --
Once we defined the problem and, using the tweaker, I'm completely repeatable. Now I have the problem. Now I don't. Now I have the problem...That said I understand your point. I have another system that I can test with so I'll see what's up there (if it has the problem). If so, I'll test there next and report back.

Looks good on my tweaked system. Checked as follows:

Uninstall LAVFilters 0.63 BDRB. Remove BD-Rebuilder. Reset to MS DTV-DVD with Tweaker. Verify reset with registry check, all keys (previously mentioned) now set to MS DTV-DVD. Reboot.

Open GraphStudio and drop in Non-Stop 00023.m2ts. (See attachment 1, System Default GraphStudio). Confirms MS DTV-DVD (and then some). Install LAVFilters 0.63 -P. Open GraphStudio and drop in 00023.m2ts. LAVVideo is now the video decoder and LAVAudio for the Audio decoder. (See attachment 2, LAVFilters Rev P GraphStudio)

I'll run a re-encode test but I have no doubt it'll be okay. I'll check my other system for the problem also.
Attached Images

Old 9th October 2014, 16:31   #21571  |  Link
jdobbs

Sounds good. Thanks. I think I can now move on to something different, and I don't have to worry about losing intrinsic support for HEVC anymore. I'm thinking about pulling BD-RB out of beta and creating an installer (that includes AVISYNTH and LAVFilters). We'll see what happens.
Old 9th October 2014, 16:36   #21572  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
On my system the LAV video filters kick in as expected when I select "USE MERIT" via the tweak tool, because the LAV video has a MERIT_PREFERRED + 3.
It is however probably safer to force the LAV filters explicitly.
Should the settings made by the DB-RB installer be reset after exiting DB-RB in order not to break the filters with other applications, or can the settings be kept?
The other programs that use Directshow will just use LAV instead until it is uninstalled. I don't think that's an issue.
Old 9th October 2014, 16:47   #21573  |  Link
MajorEvent

The re-encode of 0023.m2ts was in sync as expected with my LAVFilters 0.63 -P system.

My other system had BD-Rebuilder 49.02 with Haali and ffdshow installed. I updated it to BD-Rebuilder 49.04 and uninstalled Haali and ffdshow then rebooted.

With the System Default, there wasn't even a video decoder showing in GraphStudio but the registry keys pointed to MS DTV-DVD. (See Sys2Def images).

Installed LAVFilters 0.62 to identify if the problem is present. Drop 00023.m2ts into GraphStudio. Shows MS DTV-DVD as the video decoder and LAVAudio as the Audio Decoder. (See LAVFilters 0.62 image). Looks like this system also exhibits the problem. Should I do a test re-encode to check for out of sync? (That system is my old i7-920 and not nearly as fast so the re-encode will take longer)

I'm ready to proceed to the 0.63 -P Rev once I get the okay. Or start the re-encode out of sync test. Your call.
Attached Images

Old 9th October 2014, 18:59   #21574  |  Link
jdobbs

I'm sure it will be out-of-sync, no sense wasting time. I'm confident that LAVFilters-0.63-P fixes all problems. I'm going to edit the first post once again to add LAV back.

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th October 2014 at 19:31.
Old 9th October 2014, 20:08   #21575  |  Link
MajorEvent

Quote:
I'm sure it will be out-of-sync, no sense wasting time. I'm confident that LAVFilters-0.63-P fixes all problems. I'm going to edit the first post once again to add LAV back.
On the second system:

Confirmed. LAVFilters 0.62 was out of sync

Confirmed. LAVFilters 0.63-P was in sync.
Old 9th October 2014, 20:15   #21576  |  Link
jdobbs

Great. Thanks for all your help on this.
Old 9th October 2014, 21:17   #21577  |  Link
jdobbs

BD Rebuilder v0.49.05 (beta)

I have updated the first post of this thread with a link to the most recent version of BD-RB (v0.49.05). Changes for this release:
Code:
- Modified BD-RB so it looks to ensure that
  LAV filters are set as the preferred decoder
  when they are installed in support of BD-RB.
- Gave LAV filters priority as the preferred
  decoder when both LAV and HAALI/FFDSHOW is
  installed.
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
Old 10th October 2014, 00:33   #21578  |  Link
Jake802

Hi jdobbs,

I have a question, do I need to still install the "LAVFilters-0.63-P.exe" or if I already have LAVFilters installed, just use the new BDRebuilder?

Thanks for all your hard work and time!
Jake802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 01:01   #21579  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake802 View Post
Hi jdobbs,

I have a question, do I need to still install the "LAVFilters-0.63-P.exe" or if I already have LAVFilters installed, just use the new BDRebuilder?

Thanks for all your hard work and time!
Reinstall it. While BD-RB will check the settings and change them for you -- it's better to do it the right way. Once you've reinstalled it -- you shouldn't have to do it again (unless an update is made to the LAV Filters version).

When I finish creating the full installer, it will check -- and if need be it will run LAVFilters when necessary.
Old 10th October 2014, 01:24   #21580  |  Link
Capsbackup

I have never had an out of sync problem and have only ever used Directshow. Am I now required to install LAV Filters?
I am quite pleased with my current methods and results. Not quite sure if I can just continue with my current ways or must I update to be able to use the latest BD Rebuilder v0.49.05 (beta).
I can't deny my hesitation at this time, because this old dog takes baby steps when new "tricks" become available!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote