Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 5th May 2012, 12:01   #1  |  Link
kurkosdr

Is it possible to have an avi file larger than 4GB?

Assuming we use a filesystem that supports files larger than 4GB, and we don't care about standalone DVD player compatibility, is it posssible to have an AVI file larger than 4GB?

Today I tried to create an 4.36GB AVI file, but I simply can't (even if i try to join two 2.18GB files with stream copy in avidemux). Avidemux (i have set configure -> split every MB) will either truncate the file to 3.99GB reducing the duration, or split the file into pieces (avi, avi01 etc), and Pinnacle Studio (which doesn't support stream copy) will just ignore the bitrate I set and adjust the bitrate so that the resulting avi is under 4GB.

So, I was wondering, is this a software-imposed restriction (to preserve standalone DVD player compatibility), or the AVI container just doesn't allow files over 4GB?

PS: 4GB = 4294967296 bytes
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 12:45   #2  |  Link
nixo

Certainly, it's possible. I'm unfamiliar with Avidemux but try and look for an option called something-something-OpenDML. If it is not there, VirtualDub will do the job just fine.

--
Nikolaj

Edit: Nevermind, OpenDML is irrelevant here as the old-style-avi limit is 2GB, not 4GB. Sorry! Still, try VirtualDub...

Last edited by nixo; 5th May 2012 at 13:21.
nixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 16:25   #3  |  Link
kurkosdr

OK i finally did it. I created a 3.80GB file (with a 519MB AC3 audio stream) with avidemux and just muxed the audio stream twice with Avi Mux GUI 1.17.8.3

Finally, a 4.30GB avi file. It doesn't play in the standalone of course, plays for 1-2 secs and stops (other clips from AVI Mux play). I expected it of course, but i wanted to see it.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 21:30   #4  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hmmm...

I still have some old DV.avi file sources that are well over 4GB
Old 5th May 2012, 22:31   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

The following link should provide some enlightenment:

http://neuron2.net/LVG/filesize.html
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags