Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th April 2020, 18:12   #59221  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
I am pretty sure you dont even recognize some random frame drops while watching a movie. Reset madVR stats after starting your film, relax and recheck after the movie how many frames are actually dropped.
It really depends on the sort of movie/scene. If a drop happens during a static scene where a character is just talking you might miss it by chance, but if it's when the camera or a character is moving it's really noticeable.
Old 17th April 2020, 19:14   #59222  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Seems like CRU thinks that a limit is exceeded so it is colored red.
You can try to balance the porches. Leave the sync width alone, substract an amount from front porch (e.g -200) and add the same amount (+200 here) to back porch. The total number must stay the same.
Thanks.

I was able to subtract 300 from the front and add to the back and it let me create it. I rebooted and switched to it, but I am still seeing the same 4.40 minutes per frame drop. This is the drop time I have always seen no matter if I do the custom mode through madVR, or nVidia control panel, or now CRU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Is the madVR custom resolution accepted in the GPU driver - YES/NO.
I feel like I am not sure how to know the answer to this question. When I press the Test Mode button on madVR custom res it says that the mode was accepted, so I think the answer is yes.

But then I reboot to make sure it's applied, and I switch to the mode and then check the playback stats in the overlay and the dropped frames still goes right to 4.40 minutes same as before the optimization.

It says my current timings have no frame drops / repeats expected and all the timing numbers match the optimized pixel clock #1 but yet it seems to make no change to my actual dropped frames.

I made sure to leave a movie playing for over 30 minutes without interruption, and I reset everything (deleted all the resolutions) and tried again with the same results after a 30+ min measurement period.

https://imgur.com/tRfPXCT
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 20:09   #59223  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Again this sounds like "standard timings" overriding any custom timings. The EDID is sometimes a real pain in the butt. First thing I would do, delete all custom resolutions in the driver, run the reset-all.exe in the CRU folder, and reboot... then in madVR delete any display "identification" that is greyed out (these get created when you make changes to the EDID with CRU)… this should revert everything back to default/out of the box settings.

QB
Old 17th April 2020, 20:35   #59224  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Starting Fresh?

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to get my set up to work properly, but not having much luck.

Hoping you can help me a bit further, but maybe in a different way.

My goal is to get smooth video with HDR BT2020.

24hz refresh rate plays 24p terribly. I have to increase it to 60hz and use MadVR's smooth motion.

Can I use RGB 8bit Full in Windows, and have something done in MadVR to output 10bit properly?

When I try to output 4K/60 at 4:2:2 10 bit, I get some very weird green lines running on the screen. This doesn't happen every time, but often enough that if I stop a movie, it happens, or if I play a movie where the system changes to HDR. It's not always HDR, but it looks like when the system tries to set color using 4:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4...

So I'm hoping that I can set RGB 8bit, and have MadVR output 10bit. This goes against what I'm thinking, but someone pointed out maybe that is an option.

This would give me smooth video at 60hz (24p).

PS- I tried the studio drivers and the same things happen (green and magenta screens).
Cowboydude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 20:55   #59225  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
we wouldnt be bothering to discuss this if we didnt care about frame drops mate, anything above zero per movie is unacceptable to me, yes they do actually drop.

I'm now getting 11 hours with default settings and i havent a clue why

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBik6hE...YvZgQ?e=dog7ss
i do not have a 5700, but on my system as repoted before, no famedrops at all , never feel to have to use cru or other thing like that.
Mediaportal - Mpc-hc
MADVR-D3D11/10bit
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 20:58   #59226  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

If you have read just a little bit of this, you would know that not even setups with very similar hardware behave the same. So talk like above is actually less than helpful.

QB
Old 17th April 2020, 21:15   #59227  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
anything above zero per movie is unacceptable to me, yes they do actually drop.
Then use reclock or a player/audiorender with similar technic.
Without "on the fly sync" you can get close but it wont get perfect anyway (imho no videoplayer with bitstream audio output can do that).

On all AMD systems (default driver settings) I have seen the frame drop/repeat stats in madVR always vary a little bit at the beginning and then growing to hours or even days.

If you get 1-2 framedrop every 1,5h movie you have a good chance to miss it. I know it depends on scene/movie etc. but I would like to see a blind test for this.

And if you get 30-50 framedrops every movie there might be different problem with your system, videofile, videoplayer or directshow filter?

On the other site, setting up custom timings is not an easy task and there is a good chance to make things even worse (i.e. like you did before reset to driver defaults).

Back in the old days these problems were much bigger.
No madVR, no hdmi, but WinXP with VMR7/9 videorenderer and spdif output with frame drops/repeats every minute (and thats really annoying because you are waiting then for the next jitter).

Afaik on Intel/Nvidia the default timings are a little bit worse. So custom timings are might worth it.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 21:56   #59228  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
Afaik on Intel/Nvidia the default timings are a little bit worse. So custom timings are might worth it.
I think that's an understatement. Stock nVida timings are a frame drop every 4-5 min and very noticeable.

I am not giving up bistream for this as I would lose Atmos and DTS:X on the 7.1.4 system. Like 80%+ of UHD movies are Atmos/DTS:X these days and pretty much every new release.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 22:01   #59229  |  Link
lazostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazostat View Post
Guys i have a question about duplicate screen and Madvr. Why force switch display mode doesn't work when i use duplicate screen? (Pc and TV). It works only if i make my Tv main monitor. Otherwise it goes on 60Hz, like my Pc monitor is. So everytime before i watch a movie, i have to change display shown only on TV. Then when i open the movie with WMPC and go full screen, it auto-changes the Hz according to the movie's.

Also, sometimes when i have duplicate screen, i have lags, and i don't know why. My system is good with 3600+2070 super combo.
Can someone help me pls?
lazostat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2020, 23:34   #59230  |  Link
nussman

Maybe because your PC Monitor does not support 24p?
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2020, 00:23   #59231  |  Link
Asmodian

When using the duplicate option you can only use modes both displays support.
Old 18th April 2020, 01:13   #59232  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I feel like I am not sure how to know the answer to this question. When I press the Test Mode button on madVR custom res it says that the mode was accepted, so I think the answer is yes.
Ok.
Iīm on AMD and I donīt know the according section in nvidia control panel - if it exists.
In AMD Radeon settings there is a section where you can lookup the current timings being used - all porches, refresh rate, pixel clock, polarity and so on like in CRU or in madVR.
I mentioned this approach to rule out some possible problems on madVRīs side.
The second possibility to check this is madVR itself of course.
MadVR has the line "current timings". So you let madVR optimize your refresh rate, apply it, note it (screenshot or pen+paper), reboot, enter madVR and check now the "current timings".
In my case the behaviour is like expected: I use a certain custom resolution. I look up the current timings in madVR and in the AMD Radeon section - they are the same. Then I edit this custom resolution within AMD Radeon settings. The corresponding values in Radeon settings showing the current applied timings are updated without reboot and show the values from the custom resolution (which is applied instantly without reboot as well). When now opening madVR the line "current timings" now corresponds to the custom resolutionīs change, so everything is lined up correctly.
MadVR interacts with the driver in both directions: One possibility is to send custom resolution timing parameters to the driver which implements it (or rejects it if the mode is not accepted by the driver or the display). The other way round, madVR requests from the driver the currently used timings and shows them.
This communication is realized by specific interfaces with AMD nvidia and intel. They may be broken in the context of driver updates. As a consequence madVR may sometimes not be able to apply custom resolutions or request the current timings.

You can test this interface by e.g. implementing a new refresh rate through madVR. E.g. create a custom resolution through madVR for a refresh rate you havenīt implemented yet and which doesnīt exist on the OS side.
Implement it. When it shows up (maybe after reboot) in the OS, the interface is intact, if it doesnīt show up you know itīs broken. You can choose e.g. 26 Hz (a normally not used one) and by this way you can rule out the possibility that it is maybe overwritten by the driver or OS (EDID quirks).

The crucial point is to find out, which timings are actually used.
The driver has control over that and at least AMD shows them. Would be a pity if nvidia or intel donīt offer this info.
On the other side I would say, normally I would trust madshi. When he delivers numbers for "current timings" then it is to assume that these values are actually requested from the drivers, and if this fails, that there is not shown anything else but a message like "couldnīt request current timings". I donīt know that because in my setup this was never the case.

I hope you understand what Iīm trying to say.
When the drop/repeat time doesnīt change (and the time is real, so you really get drops/repeats in the given time) and you havenīt changed your audio output or there is a massive change in hardware temperatures (which influences the clocks slightly) you have to assume that the actual used resolution is always the same. But this should show up in madVR and/or in the GPU driver settings.

This is the next step.
If it is the case that all the time the same timings are used then the next step would be to find up why this is the case.
But first find out IF this is the case.

Last edited by hannes69; 18th April 2020 at 01:16.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2020, 12:58   #59233  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, there is how i got mine fixed last night, still working today, no idea if it will hold or not but right now i have good times for both 2160p 2d and 1080p 3d.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AgvFafeelEBik6hM...rMD8Q?e=21zFGM

EDIT - sadly 3D was a fluke, best I can get with any settings is 30 mins, acting just like NVIDIA cards now, very odd behviour for AMD, 2d holding solid however at no drops for 11 hours +

Last edited by mclingo; 19th April 2020 at 01:56.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2020, 16:02   #59234  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Is there any SDR to HDR conversion?

I’ve been testing how I like some image enhancements, and wondered about sdr to hdr.
Old 18th April 2020, 16:14   #59235  |  Link
SamuriHL

No, SDR to HDR is not something that can be done.
Old 18th April 2020, 16:18   #59236  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
No, SDR to HDR is not something that can be done.
Thanks!

How have you all calibrated your projectors? I use my HTPC w/ MadVR for all of my movies.

Is there a specific software that would be recommended for MadVR using projection?

Any specific hardware/meters?

Last edited by Cowboydude99; 18th April 2020 at 21:31.
Old 18th April 2020, 21:42   #59237  |  Link
Asmodian

i1 Display Pro is a good meter, DisplayCal is good free software. I like Calman too, but it is expensive and DisplayCal is quite good.
Old 18th April 2020, 21:48   #59238  |  Link
hannes69

Colormunki Display (the same like i1 Display Pro, but cheaper + a little bit slower measurements) combined with DisplayCal.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2020, 21:52   #59239  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Great! Thank you! I will look into both meters.

Do you have to make adjustments regularly, or is it a 1 time config? I'm using a PJ, so the bulbs lose their brightness over time.

Setup: Denon x4300h - JVC LX-UH1 Projector - 100" SnapAV Dragonfly Acoustic Screen
Old 18th April 2020, 22:23   #59240  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboydude99 View Post
Great! Thank you! I will look into both meters.

Do you have to make adjustments regularly, or is it a 1 time config? I'm using a PJ, so the bulbs lose their brightness over time.
Every 200-300 hours of use, it's necessary to remeasure. That's how fast it begins to drift.

VERY FAST.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling