Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 4th September 2013, 03:17   #17861  |  Link
tn jim

Backup Copy Froze During Playback

I had a backup copy of "The Fifth Element" freeze the video on playback about two thirds of the way thru the movie, the audio continued on just fine.

This is my fourth movie backup, the first three played back just fine.

I verified that the original plays back fine. I am using a licensed version of AnyDVD HD, ImgBurn and the latest Beta version on BD-RB. I am using Verbatim-R #97339 BD 25GB blanks. The backup burn did not indicate that there were any problems. The burn made it to about 1/4" of the edge of the disc.

I got the same freeze results on both my PS3 and Oppo83 BD players with the latest firmware.

I did not keep any logs created during the backup process.

What is my likely problem?

Thank you!

Last edited by tn jim; 4th September 2013 at 04:06.
tn jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 04:25   #17862  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn jim View Post
I had a backup copy of "The Fifth Element" freeze the video on playback about two thirds of the way thru the movie, the audio continued on just fine.
I've had this type of thing happen a few times. In each case the trouble was a bad rip. The original LOOKED fine, on casual inspection, but when I looked at the exact place where the freeze happened there was a glitch in the video. This glitch could make it through for playback, but it hung the video re-encode process.

After your rebuild completed did you take a look at the new, rebuilt files before you burned them? I always do that now, so that I can spot this type of problem before I spend a blank BD-R on them.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 07:18   #17863  |  Link
DoctorM

Cosmetic bug: Working with a directory of "D:\My Downloads\Incoming\MoveTitle\BDMV".
BD Rebuilder shows only "D:\My" in the "Source Path:" line.

Doesn't interfere with operation though.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 13:15   #17864  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

This is my fourth movie backup, the first three played back just fine.

I verified that the original plays back fine. I am using a licensed version of AnyDVD HD, ImgBurn and the latest Beta version on BD-RB. I am using Verbatim-R #97339 BD 25GB blanks. The backup burn did not indicate that there were any problems. The burn made it to about 1/4" of the edge of the disc.

I got the same freeze results on both my PS3 and Oppo83 BD players with the latest firmware.

I did not keep any logs created during the backup process.

What is my likely problem?

Thank you!
It sounds like a bad burn, but it could be a bad rip as well ( a s RobertM mentioned). The chance that it is BD-RB is very slim.

Last edited by jdobbs; 4th September 2013 at 13:17.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 13:30   #17865  |  Link
tn jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post

After your rebuild completed did you take a look at the new, rebuilt files before you burned them? I always do that now, so that I can spot this type of problem before I spend a blank BD-R on them.
What exactly am I looking for in the rebuilt files that you refer to?

Thank you!
Old 4th September 2013, 13:44   #17866  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I just did a search on this thread... thanks for the info.

I was hoping to turn the mono track to stereo by adding
Code:
audio=GetChannel(audio,1,1)
to the audio script while the video was encoding.

I assume BDRB checks the number of channels and picks the bitrates while preparing. In which case I'll get 112Kbs stereo... which wouldn't be good.
It would sound the same anyway.

Just as a note, you can add AVISYNTH lines to the audio AVS using the filter editor and the "a:" prefix.

Last edited by jdobbs; 4th September 2013 at 13:49.
Old 4th September 2013, 14:25   #17867  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
What exactly am I looking for in the rebuilt files that you refer to?

Thank you!
When this problem has happened to me it was because of a bad rip. When BD-RB rebuilt the files the video encoder couldn't get past the glitch in the incoming data, so it lost its reference to the next frame data, and the video file became blank, or stuck, after the glitch while the audio continued.

So take a look at your new back-up disc and take note of the exact time where the video freezes. You'll want to explore this spot on both your original rip and your BD-RB rebuild files.

Play your original rip file and move to that spot in the film. Watch very closely to see if there is any hiccup in the playback at that spot. It could be a brief scrabbling of pixels, or a shudder in the motion, or something like that. If you detect any non-smoothness in the playback then a bad rip is almost certainly the culprit.

If you didn't detect a bad rip then repeat the process by inspecting the BD-RB rebuild file. If you detect a problem in this file, but not in the original rip, then it could be something has interfered with the rebuild process. This would be quite unusual, but possible nevertheless. Could be a power surge, hint of upcoming HDD failure, etc. If you don't detect a glitch in the rebuild file then your problem is most likely a bad burn.

So:
1. If there is a glitch in the rip then -> re-rip.
2. If there is a glitch in the rebuild then -> run BD-RB again.
3. If there is no glitch in the rebuild then -> burn another disc.

To check for this type of problem I now simply play back the rebuild files on my computer to make sure that there is video and in-synch audio at 3 positions in the stream; at the start, middle and end. If the video and audio are OK at all 3 positions in the rebuild then I will burn the disc.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 18:57   #17868  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It would sound the same anyway.

Just as a note, you can add AVISYNTH lines to the audio AVS using the filter editor and the "a:" prefix.
Where is the filter editor in BD RB? I'm now thinking of trying other changes. Does "v:" let you adjust the video as well then?
Old 4th September 2013, 19:20   #17869  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Where is the filter editor in BD RB? I'm now thinking of trying other changes. Does "v:" let you adjust the video as well then?
It is in the SETUP dialog.

All settings that don't use the "a:" are assumed to be video. Some other prefixes:

i: means apply only to interlaced sources
p: means apply only to progressive sources
f: means apply only to the feature
e: means apply only to extras

The default of no prefix at all means apply it to all sources

They can be used together, for example:

f:a:Amplify(audio,1.25)

would mean to increase audio by 25% for the feature only.

Last edited by jdobbs; 4th September 2013 at 19:25.
Old 4th September 2013, 23:38   #17870  |  Link
DoctorM

OOOhhh. Click 'Use AVS Filters during encoding." and it pops open a new window. Sneaky.

Btw, I ran into something weird today. I got a generic Aften error (experienced a problem, had to close). After I clicked 'okay' it looked like rebuilder reattempted the encoding again. Everything seems to have turned out okay, but I still don't know what happened.
Code:
 - [12:48:26] Processing audio tracks
   - Track 4352 (pol): Reencoding audio to AC3...
 - [13:29:26] Processing audio tracks
I assume it's a thing for x264 to soften the image (and grain) to achieve lower bitrates (since I don't see any noise reducers in the script or options). My grainy test encoding to BD9 was scrubbed of almost all grain. I guess there are limits.

Last edited by DoctorM; 4th September 2013 at 23:40.
Old 6th September 2013, 14:43   #17871  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
OOOhhh. Click 'Use AVS Filters during encoding." and it pops open a new window. Sneaky.

Btw, I ran into something weird today. I got a generic Aften error (experienced a problem, had to close). After I clicked 'okay' it looked like rebuilder reattempted the encoding again. Everything seems to have turned out okay, but I still don't know what happened.
Code:
 - [12:48:26] Processing audio tracks
 - [13:29:26] Processing audio tracks
I assume it's a thing for x264 to soften the image (and grain) to achieve lower bitrates (since I don't see any noise reducers in the script or options). My grainy test encoding to BD9 was scrubbed of almost all grain. I guess there are limits.
If the audio encode fails, BD-RB will attempt to reencode once. If it made it through with no errors -- then you should be ok.

x264 doesn't generally soften the image unless you have filters set to do that. But if you are outputting to a dramatically smaller size it may be possible.
Old 6th September 2013, 20:08   #17872  |  Link
omegaman7

"tn jim" Might I recommend getting a new reading drive, for ripping your discs. I had a few problems with a Lite-on iHES108(2). I still use it for scanning discs, or playing discs in real time, but I no longer trust it for burning or ripping. I may be retiring my oldest LG drive soon too. It recently completed ripping a disc, that had read errors. I was able to successfully rebuild it, but there were artifacts in the video stream. I'm not even sure I trust it with pristine condition discs.
Old 8th September 2013, 13:01   #17873  |  Link
Yordan5

jdobbs, It is probably a long shot however, once Roman has released a stable version of TsMuxeR with 3D muxing capabilities, would you consider incorporating this in BD RB?
Yordan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 13:24   #17874  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yordan5 View Post
jdobbs, It is probably a long shot however, once Roman has released a stable version of TsMuxeR with 3D muxing capabilities, would you consider incorporating this in BD RB?
Yes, of course.

The problem is that there currently isn't a freeware MVC encoder of which I'm aware.
Old 8th September 2013, 17:58   #17875  |  Link
RoyGBiv-inRI

Trying to download 44.16 and every time I click on it, I get an error message "server not found."

Is there an issue with your server, JDobbs?

SMK
RoyGBiv-inRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 18:09   #17876  |  Link
sytyguy

I just download it with no problems.
sytyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 18:43   #17877  |  Link
RoyGBiv-inRI

Just tried again (using Mozilla Firefox), and I got the same "server not found" error, but when I clicked on "try again," it then asked me if I wanted to open it or save it.

Strange, but I've got it.

SMK
RoyGBiv-inRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 20:44   #17878  |  Link
tn jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
I've had this type of thing happen a few times. In each case the trouble was a bad rip. The original LOOKED fine, on casual inspection, but when I looked at the exact place where the freeze happened there was a glitch in the video. This glitch could make it through for playback, but it hung the video re-encode process.

So far I've only had the one bad burn out of 21 and I am looking at the log files now. Maybe I had a flaky blank BD?

Than you!
Old 9th September 2013, 00:44   #17879  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv-inRI View Post
Just tried again (using Mozilla Firefox), and I got the same "server not found" error, but when I clicked on "try again," it then asked me if I wanted to open it or save it.

Strange, but I've got it.

SMK
I just tested it and it works for me. The download website is hosted at GODADDY. I've never had any issues.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:06   #17880  |  Link
thebuff

Error in attempt to extract audio/subs

Hi, wondered if someone could help?

I've been using this great software for a couple of years now and all has been working great. However, my two latest rips are getting an error;

[09/09/13] BD Rebuilder v0.44.16 (beta)
[09:48:18] Source: THE_PAPERBOY_00000
- Input BD size: 21.32 GB
- Approximate total content: [01:46:43.271]
- Target BD size: 7.84 GB
- Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Auto Quality: Good (Very Fast), Two Pass
- Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[09:48:18] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [09:48:18] Processing: VID_00017 (1 of 1)
- [09:48:18] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00017]
- Error in attempt to extract audio/subs.
- Bitstream exception Unknown exception. It does not have to be! Plase contact the application support team for more information.
[09:48:21] - Failed to retrieve audio, aborted

The only recent changes to my system was the installation of AnyDVD which I have now uninstalled. I have also uninstalled & reinstalled ffdshow, haali and avisynth as per the first post and my inspect log is as follows;

- Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
- AVISYNTH Version: [2.5.8.0], Ok
- HAALI Splitter: [1.9.42.1], Ok
- FFDSHOW: [4504], Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.44.0.16, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok

From what I've read in other posts, the only possibility I can see is that they were bad rips, but it just seems strange that both were, unless the installation of AnyDVD affected DVDFab in anyway.

Any help would be appreciated?
thebuff is offline   Reply With Quote