Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 10th October 2019, 05:07   #1  |  Link
miltk

a good alternative

i was wondering if there's a good alternative to what i used to do ages ago.

i used to dvdshrink and then convert to avi using pocketdivxencoder. the thing i loved about pde were all the tweaks like audio, subtitles, light, and contrast.. one in particular was the ability to resize to any desired resolution. i was able to max vertically or horizontally to fit the screen.

problem is, that was great with xp but when i switched to windows 7, the resize window was such that i could NOT see the resize controls.

i'm here to ask if there is any converter that gives me resize options

thx
miltk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2019, 06:36   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Well, I know that it may not seem as user friendly as a GUI based program, but pretty much everybody here uses Avisynth and an encoder to do just that.
I do encourage people to play around with the code as the syntax is actually pretty simple and is very easy to wrap you mind around.
Anyway, since I don't wanna "push" you to move from a GUI to coding and since you use to work with a GUI, I'm gonna tell you about two kinda popular GUIs that work on Windows 7 as well as on XP.
The first one is XMedia Recode. It's based on ffmpeg both x86 and x64, hence new builds don't support XP, however it will let you download an old version as well.
It's very useful, it provides a nice graphic interface and most importantly it lets you open up a DVD ISO or folder structure or a real DVD from your real drive and it will take care of the VOBs.
As a suggestion, Divx was used many years ago and it's MPEG-4 Visual based, just like Xvid, which, in 2019 (almost 2020) is a very "outdated" codec and H.264 (MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC) will definitely be better.
Besides, nowadays H.264 is compatible with pretty much everything, so there's no reason to stick with Divx anymore.
Anyway, that's just my suggestion, you can still stick to it if you feel to.
The second GUI I'm gonna talk about is MeGUI and... sure, I don't like it and I think nobody should be using it, however I understand that it might be a good compromise for beginners and first timers to kinda learn the Avisynth syntax.

Anyway, I strongly encourage you to skip the two programs I suggested, install Avisynth, read the Wiki and start to play around with it and AVSPmod, even by doing very simple and basic things following the wiki.
This is the kind of playtime that can really help you make basic concepts sink in and make you "switch" to a way better and more professional approach than simply clicking buttons on a GUI.

Cheers,
Frank.

Last edited by FranceBB; 10th October 2019 at 06:42.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2019, 08:58   #3  |  Link
stax76

Since you are asking for alternative:

https://alternativeto.net/software/handbrake/
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 21:24   #4  |  Link
miltk

THX GUYS.

i did a lot of this way back when but streaming almost makes it irrelevant nowadays.
Old 11th October 2019, 22:02   #5  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Miltk, please take care of rule #9 and use a title that describes the content of your post.
Old 11th October 2019, 22:03   #6  |  Link
stax76

@FranceBB

Some tasks are easier using a GUI especially when you are a beginner. Writing avs/vs code makes only sense if you are expert in video processing. Personally I would NEVER write ANY code or markup without VS or VSC.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 09:12   #7  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Miltk, please take care of rule #9
He did. Rule #9 is already sleeping with the fishes.
Old 13th October 2019, 18:46   #8  |  Link
miltk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Miltk, please take care of rule #9 and use a title that describes the content of your post.
sorry,,,first time
Old 13th October 2019, 18:55   #9  |  Link
miltk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Well, I know that it may not seem as user friendly as a GUI based program, but pretty much everybody here uses Avisynth and an encoder to do just that.
I do encourage people to play around with the code as the syntax is actually pretty simple and is very easy to wrap you mind around.
Anyway, since I don't wanna "push" you to move from a GUI to coding and since you use to work with a GUI, I'm gonna tell you about two kinda popular GUIs that work on Windows 7 as well as on XP.
The first one is XMedia Recode. It's based on ffmpeg both x86 and x64, hence new builds don't support XP, however it will let you download an old version as well.
It's very useful, it provides a nice graphic interface and most importantly it lets you open up a DVD ISO or folder structure or a real DVD from your real drive and it will take care of the VOBs.
As a suggestion, Divx was used many years ago and it's MPEG-4 Visual based, just like Xvid, which, in 2019 (almost 2020) is a very "outdated" codec and H.264 (MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC) will definitely be better.
Besides, nowadays H.264 is compatible with pretty much everything, so there's no reason to stick with Divx anymore.
Anyway, that's just my suggestion, you can still stick to it if you feel to.
The second GUI I'm gonna talk about is MeGUI and... sure, I don't like it and I think nobody should be using it, however I understand that it might be a good compromise for beginners and first timers to kinda learn the Avisynth syntax.

Anyway, I strongly encourage you to skip the two programs I suggested, install Avisynth, read the Wiki and start to play around with it and AVSPmod, even by doing very simple and basic things following the wiki.
This is the kind of playtime that can really help you make basic concepts sink in and make you "switch" to a way better and more professional approach than simply clicking buttons on a GUI.

Cheers,
Frank.
i'm gonna try 'em all. i'm not a coder type or even a power user, but i like to fiddle and i like hands on. my old way, now that i look back, was tedious and took a long time, but pde gave me total control - saturation/brightness/sharpness/audio quality/text format/resize,,all visually, and dvdshrink was the champ.

i've been using handbrake for basics. i'll try the others
Old 13th October 2019, 19:47   #10  |  Link
stax76

Few hints:

Developer support on Doom9:

staxrip
megui
ribbot
hybrid
vidcoder

AviSynth support: