Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th May 2015, 16:08   #29761  |  Link
a8213711

Regarding 8 vs 10 bit: the latter would take more VRAM/power? If yes, it would take more than with 8 bit with dithering?
Also from my Windows Control Panel ( http://oi59.tinypic.com/10ifk8w.jpg ) I read 32 bit...I can understand 24 bit, but 32?!
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 16:08   #29762  |  Link
huhn

i did some tests with FSE d3d11 10 bit mode.

i get tearing form time to time and i always get tearing when i pause unpause.

so i did some changes to the number of frames present in advanced.

with 1 frame i get always tearing the whole time and that with present times of max below 0.7 ms.

with 2 i get no tear problem yet it working totally fine but i have to check for a longer time.

this is with my AMD system my nvidia system looks more stable with FSE d3d11 10 bit mode but i haven't tested it for a long time.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 16:11   #29763  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
Regarding 8 vs 10 bit: the latter would take more VRAM/power? If yes, it would take more than with 8 bit with dithering?
Also from my Windows Control Panel ( http://oi59.tinypic.com/10ifk8w.jpg ) I read 32 bit...I can understand 24 bit, but 32?!
RGBA

red green blue and alpha channel.
it "is" 24 bit or 8 bit per channel.
Old 12th May 2015, 16:24   #29764  |  Link
detmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Is that only when using 10bit output, or also when using 8bit output?

Uhm, Pentium G3320 IGPU? Never heard of that yet! My best guess is that the driver are at fault. I've no such problem as you report with my HD4000 on Windows 8.1 x64, at least. MPDN calls D3D11 APIs in a different way. IMHO my way is better. In your specific situation my way seems to make problems, though, but I believe the GPU drivers are at fault for that.
Its a Haswell Pentium processor. It uses GT1 GPU with 10EU units. HD4000 has 20EUs, I think. I may try with previous driver.
Old 12th May 2015, 16:31   #29765  |  Link
tFWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Hmm, I'm still having some issues with the latest version and the D3D11 path, in windowed mode, with video playback getting stuck showing the same frame forever (audio continues just fine and there's no crash, but the frame never changes even if I seek). Using 64-bit MPC-HC 1.7.8.162 and madVR 0.88.5, in Windows 7. My GPU is a GeForce GTX 580. I don't have steps to reproduce, but it seems to happen most frequently when MPC-HC doesn't have focus and I do something that causes a bit of lag (like refreshing this page in Firefox). But that's just a guess, really. I also don't think it happens if I pause the video before interacting with another program, but pausing and unpausing doesn't fix it.

In case it matters (since I'm not sure anyone else has reported this), I have the flush settings for windowed mode set to "don't flush", "flush", "don't flush", "don't flush", and "present several frames in advance" is checked. I use a 3DLUT and 3-tap Jinc for chroma upscaling, but no doubling, enhancements or refinement (and there's no image scaling going on, because the window fits the video resolution).
I have this on Win8.1, 32bit MPC-HC and AMD 270X card.

It happens every time if MPC-HC loses focus when i use "aero peek" (moving the mouse to the lower right corner of the screen) or when i minimize MPC-HC. Not only does the video freeze, but also madvr's OSD freezes.

The only way to resume playback without exiting MPC-HC is to go fullscreen.

It doesn't happen when i just switch/alt tab to another window.

edit: Also noticed that there is a minimum time when it doesn't happen when minimizing the window. Window has to be minimized for approximately one second for the freeze to occur.

Last edited by tFWo; 12th May 2015 at 16:37.
tFWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 16:50   #29766  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
It seems to be the same bug I'm having and is most probably related to Win 7 desktop composition.
Yes, that sounds like the same issue. I haven't seen it very often, but I've gone ahead and reset my settings to see if I can reproduce it while only enabling D3D11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tFWo View Post
It happens every time if MPC-HC loses focus when i use "aero peek" (moving the mouse to the lower right corner of the screen) or when i minimize MPC-HC. Not only does the video freeze, but also madvr's OSD freezes.
[...]
edit: Also noticed that there is a minimum time when it doesn't happen when minimizing the window. Window has to be minimized for approximately one second for the freeze to occur.
Oh, good call. I can reproduce it just fine by using Aero peek, even with default settings (aside from enabling D3D11). I may have been using Aero peek accidentally (I sometimes leave my cursor in that area).

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 12th May 2015 at 16:52.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 16:59   #29767  |  Link
James Freeman

Minimize MPC-HC window so its only on the task bar and not visible.
Use Winkey+Tab to return to MPC-HC.
Frozen video.

When I resize the window I see the video speed up till it reaches the correct spot, GPU load, MCU and VPU skyrocketing during this stage.
I think all the frames are stored somewhere till they are called to be used... madshi?

Last edited by James Freeman; 12th May 2015 at 17:06.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 17:21   #29768  |  Link
Dogway

Is it possible to restrict 1080p24 mode to 24fps sources? I can't seem to add a profile group to Displays.
Main reason is "LED clear motion" option in TV (to reduce motion blur) is shared between all these "p" modes but I only want it for 24p, I'm fine playing the rest of the contents as "PC mode".

Last edited by Dogway; 12th May 2015 at 17:25.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 17:37   #29769  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
Regarding 8 vs 10 bit: the latter would take more VRAM/power?
A little bit more RAM, maybe, but not much, and not much more power, either, I would say. But why don't you simply try it out yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Is it possible to restrict 1080p24 mode to 24fps sources? I can't seem to add a profile group to Displays.
Profiles are not supported yet for displays. I'm not totally sure I understand what you need/want. madVR should only switch to 1080p24 for 24fps sources, anyway. So what else do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i did some tests with FSE d3d11 10 bit mode.

i get tearing form time to time and i always get tearing when i pause unpause.

so i did some changes to the number of frames present in advanced.

with 1 frame i get always tearing the whole time and that with present times of max below 0.7 ms.

with 2 i get no tear problem yet it working totally fine but i have to check for a longer time.
Why so low number of frames presented in advance? I would use at least 8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tFWo View Post
I have this on Win8.1, 32bit MPC-HC and AMD 270X card.

Strange, I thought this would only occur on Windows 7. I can't reproduce any of these problems on my Windows 8.1 x64 PC. I wonder why...

Anyway, for those of you who have problems when MPC-HC is minimized, or when using Aero Peak, does this test build change anything?

http://madshi.net/madVR885test.zip
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 17:40   #29770  |  Link
James Freeman

unfortunately no.
Old 12th May 2015, 17:44   #29771  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Nope, I can still reproduce with tFWo's steps.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 17:45   #29772  |  Link
bcec

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec
I seem to be getting 10-bits only when my display is at 60Hz. When at 23Hz, I don't seem to be getting the 10-bit output.
That is possible, I guess. It could be the GPU or the display, I can't say. There's most probably nothing I can do about it.
I think it is the display (Samsung hu8550). When feeding RGB signal via HDMI, only 60Hz shows 10-bit image. However, if I change nVidia output to YCbCr, then I get 10-bit image at all refresh rates.
bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 17:48   #29773  |  Link
MS-DOS

Quote:
Anyway, for those of you who have problems when MPC-HC is minimized, or when using Aero Peak, does this test build change anything?

It doesn't for me.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 17:49   #29774  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Too bad. Would have been too easy, I guess...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 17:52   #29775  |  Link
tFWo

Quote:

Nope.
tFWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 18:48   #29776  |  Link
James Freeman

madshi,
As soon as anything happens to the video in terms of SIZE the video comes back to life again.
Even if you stretch the video by only a pixel, maybe it can help...
Old 12th May 2015, 18:56   #29777  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Why so low number of frames presented in advance? I would use at least 8!
but that's the problem i get tearing with 8.
and don't worry doesn't make any sense to me too...
Old 12th May 2015, 19:02   #29778  |  Link
MS-DOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
madshi,
As soon as anything happens to the video in terms of SIZE the video comes back to life again.
Even if you stretch the video by only a pixel, maybe it can help...
It does for me too if the freezing occurred right after minimizing\restoring MPC-HC. However, with some videos I need to keep it minimized for a while for it to happen, and then resizing restores playback just for a moment with about 2000 dropped frames reported and then it freezes again, now forever.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 19:15   #29779  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
It does for me too if the freezing occurred right after minimizing\restoring MPC-HC. However, with some videos I need to keep it minimized for a while for it to happen, and then resizing restores playback just for a moment with about 2000 dropped frames reported and then it freezes again, now forever.
So basically when minimized the renderer needs to be paused, if not, it continues to run and causes trouble.
When it becomes the main window again it should be revived back to life.

What a modern game that uses direct3d 11 does when minimized and then winkey+tab to it back again?
Old 12th May 2015, 19:26   #29780  |  Link
thegilpins

Hi with version 88.x I get madvr crashes sometimes when opening or closing video files within potplayer. This only happens if I enable 'use Direct3D for presentation'. I have attached two crash files. This is easily reproducible.
Attached Files
File Type: txt madVR - crash report.txt (42.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: txt madVR - crash report1.txt (41.9 KB, 23 views)
thegilpins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling