Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 13th August 2021, 01:29   #1  |  Link
loninapleton

Best free option to convert MP4 audio to SRT text and timestamp format

I have tried out the Sonix.ai translation tool with their free 30 mins option. On playback with remux etc. it looked good but I'd need to edit the mangled words. I have a printed script for that.

Please help with my search for a free alternative as a stand alone program or possibly another online tool to replace Sonix.

Though I could pay for a one time Sonix translation of the full text I think there are too many unknown gotchas: some glitch during the job while the clock is running etc.

The google search on this is endless. I hope Doom 9 can help cut through the chaff and get to a free tool that is familiar to users on Doom9 which is a trusted source for me when using Subtitle Edit etc.
loninapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2021, 08:41   #2  |  Link
loninapleton

This could be off topic but I could use some help with YouTube. Not DVD related but it's on my posted question. I took my MP4 to YouTube and uploaded it. Their process is confusing to me. The upload succeeded and in one of their Maker or Editing windows I can see my content, I can see the subs from the first to the last line. What I can't do is get the text to download as SRT. The content I uploaded I marked as a private media to work on this. I do not post to YouTube.

People use Youtbe every day. And I've been through all the FAQs google throws out which sends you back to Youtube. For me it's just a maze.

At the screen that shows the content and Sub window, the instruction to go to the left side options or whatever contains nothing I can find to finish the download process. What I get is browser windows opening, not YouTube dialogs. I may be in the wrong part of the program-- just don't know. Other people do this every day. I can't make it work.

I'll provide screen shots as needed. Please, no URL links from Youtube. I've seen about all there is. The only wrinkle I saw as a possible block to completion is my content is over a 1 hr 5 min limit they showed. But the Subtitle text looks complete.

Last edited by loninapleton; 16th September 2021 at 08:46.
Old 16th September 2021, 20:50   #3  |  Link
loninapleton

Here is a screen shot of the private Youtube as a work copy for my use. It is loaded into Youtube. I was able to open the Transcript Window and the subtitles all show up.

This sample copy also shows the (CC) icon and the subs play as
the dialog progresses and in sync.

Now from all the windows and click buttons in Youtube, can someone say how I can save the transcript on screen to SRT.

I've opened all the click buttons I can think of. Nothing I've found says 'download as SRT.' The time stamps are showing on the transcript.
Attached Images

Old 2nd October 2021, 22:13   #4  |  Link
loninapleton

Found it. It was somehow a long way around to see the screen
the same way a Youtube helper showed it. SRT is in hand and downloaded now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fy...el=DavidMbugua

The guy is very good but trying to chase a screen pointer around these how-tos makes my head explode.

cheers