Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 13th October 2009, 12:54   #1021  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

The bug is here:

Quote:
<2009.10.13 03:50:01>
START PULLDOWN OPERATIONS
DGPulldown Parameters: "C:\DVD1\DVD_0_10000 BC.m2v" -srcfps 23.976 -destfps 29,97 -inplace -bff
<>
There is a comma instead of a dot. I will fix it in the next release. Anyway a possible workaround is to change your international settings, using dot as decimal separator instead of comma.

Thanks for the bug report.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 23:38   #1022  |  Link
MysticE

Tried 2 AVI/Xvids @ 23.97, both came out fine, chapters correct.
MysticE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 06:20   #1023  |  Link
Shadowmeph

I am fairly noobish to Video editing , and to be honest the only software I have used on a regular bases is Virtual dub and convertx2dvd. I tried to make a DVD from a couple of TV episodes ( avi files) that I downloaded using this guide "AVI to DVD guide" (http://www.doom9.org/) it is a good guide but not noob friendly . I am pretty sure that I followed the guide to a Tee but it turned out to be a fail, I had no sound and was unable to figure out how to add the sound in and burn it to a dvd.
I have only used the AVSto DVD twice and both times the AVStoDVD release 2.2.2 on my windows 7x86 Operating system freezes, but if I let it be it unfreezes it self and works. The other thing is that it burned the dvd without any problems but when I looked at the program itself it was showing that it was still only half way through hehe. not to sure what that is all about. Other then that the program is fast and does its job perfectly ( be sides those two things).
I am always downloading my TV episodes and burning them and will keep using this good free program thank you for all of your hard work .
Shadowmeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 23:59   #1024  |  Link
MysticE

I like the new options, fade and sharpen. Nice touch. And the +settings pane stays open now.
Old 16th October 2009, 00:19   #1025  |  Link
Shadowmeph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticE View Post
I like the new options, fade and sharpen. Nice touch. And the +settings pane stays open now.
what I didn't even see those options I will have to look again
Shadowmeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 05:24   #1026  |  Link
MilesAhead

MrC I've been doing video conversions and burning for a few years, but I've just started burning double layer DVDs, and I'm also new to AVStoDVD. I'm just wondering if it's a fluke or an issue, as I authored my first DVD9 using AVStoDVD. When I tried to burn with Imgburn I got "no suitable cell for layer break" type message. It suggested some numeric ranges and I manually plugged in a number and it seems to have burned ok. I'm just curious what AVStoDVD does afa layer break information or if there's an option or line I can add to AviSynth script to avoid having to manually add this(or perhaps it was just this particular bunch of titles.. the DVD had 6 titles, sort of an "episodic" DVD .. perhaps the cause of the issue?)

I've tried looking on the web but it seems nebulous if Dual Layer vs Double Layer is a distinction without a difference so I'm confused at this point.

Thanks for the program. I've used both QuEnc and HC in the past quite a bit and the way you have it set up with the bit rate ranges is a novel approach.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:06   #1027  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@MilesAhead

AFAIK there is no way to generally predict what is the best cell to choose as DVD-9 layer break. It depends from the video footage you are burning. Fortunately ImgBurn has a very handy feature (Create Layer Break Position) by which you can directly select the more convenient (for you) cell before burning. More info at ImgBurn forum section.

I'm happy you like the bitrate-oriented approach to the encoder selection: I know it can be a little confusing at the beginning, but I think it is a good way to find a compromise between speed (QuEnc CBR) and quality (HCenc VBR). Probably the future implementation of HCenc 0.24 (it has its own, very effective, predictive mode) will cause QuEnc to be "pushed" towards very high bitrate only, or maybe removed at all.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 16th October 2009, 23:01   #1028  |  Link
MilesAhead

Thanks for the reply. I'll experiment but it looks like the newest Imgburn can handle it ok. btw, I like to write small utilities for Windows myself.. esp. small hotkey gizmos. They work kind of like the old Dos TSRs that popped a window up over what you are doing. They are all fully enabled "donation ware." I hope you find one or two useful: http://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html

At least if you are running Vista or 7 they look good anyway.

Last edited by MilesAhead; 16th October 2009 at 23:04.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 19:14   #1029  |  Link
Richardw322

I have a question related to dual layer disks. I have an older DVD player and tried burning a DVD 9 disk using Verbatum DVD+DL disk. The resulting DVD played fine in the computer, but not in the DVD. I asked on the IMG forum and they said to check if dual layer was supported in the DVD manual, and it didn't list that disk format. BUT I know the DVD plays factory DVD9 disks. How does that happen? How could a I make a disk LIKE a factory DVD9 disk so the player would read it? At the moment, it can't even detect a disk is in the drive!
Richardw322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 22:50   #1030  |  Link
MilesAhead

You could try setting the Book Type. I know where it is in Imgburn. On the Write page before you start the write there should be a button in the lower right hand corner. Select the appropriate tab for your burner. The setting drop down I believe has DVD-ROM for DVD5 discs and DVD9 or something like that(I can't look without putting a disc in) for double layer. See Imgburn guides for more info.
Old 17th October 2009, 23:15   #1031  |  Link
MilesAhead

afa burning DVD Double Layer with Imgburn and layer break.. I reset chapters to default 5 minutes, used custom Disc size and set to 8000 MB and authored. Imgburn automatically suggested a couple of layer breaks when loading the VIDEO_TS folder. Seems like all went well.
Old 17th October 2009, 23:52   #1032  |  Link
MysticE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
@MilesAhead

AFAIK there is no way to generally predict what is the best cell to choose as DVD-9 layer break. It depends from the video footage you are burning. Fortunately ImgBurn has a very handy feature (Create Layer Break Position) by which you can directly select the more convenient (for you) cell before burning. More info at ImgBurn forum section.

I'm happy you like the bitrate-oriented approach to the encoder selection: I know it can be a little confusing at the beginning, but I think it is a good way to find a compromise between speed (QuEnc CBR) and quality (HCenc VBR). Probably the future implementation of HCenc 0.24 (it has its own, very effective, predictive mode) will cause QuEnc to be "pushed" towards very high bitrate only, or maybe removed at all.

Bye
Please don't remove QuEnc. The bulk of my use is QuEnc CBR set at 6200.

In Womble I need this:

Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 5852 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 6200 Kbps

Not this:

Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 5606 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 9000 Kbps
Old 17th October 2009, 23:59   #1033  |  Link
Richardw322

Thnaks for the type, MilesAhead. I followed one guide that never mentioned the book type. When I checked the other 2 that deal with dual layer disks, they both say to check to make sure it's set to DVD ROM. I am going to give it a try. I wonder if II should do that with DVD 5 disks too?
Old 18th October 2009, 01:27   #1034  |  Link
Richardw322

Well, tried it with the book type set and same thing. DVD player just says no disk, but it plays fine in the computer. I would like to make DVD9 disks with AVStoDVD, anyone have any ideas? Or is it just the disk player? Funny thing it reads factory DVD9 disks though.
Old 18th October 2009, 13:52   #1035  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@MysticE

Ok

@Richardw322

Do you have the possibility to check the DVD+DL that plays fine on your PC on other standalone DVD players? BTW you should address the question to the proper doom9 forum section.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 18th October 2009, 15:20   #1036  |  Link
Richardw322

No not really. Don't have another in the house!! Everyone else plays on computer. Also, it was just a thought here, I am really doing fine with DVD5, and really shouldn't "rock the boat"

On second thought, maybe I will ask for another opion. I tried in the IMGBURN forum, and the conclusion was my DVD player is not compatible. Don't buy it as it plays factory DVD9. I don't really need it, there is a HTPC connected, but it bugs me.

Thanks for the link, MrC

Last edited by Richardw322; 18th October 2009 at 15:37.
Old 19th October 2009, 07:35   #1037  |  Link
MysticE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardw322 View Post
Well, tried it with the book type set and same thing. DVD player just says no disk, but it plays fine in the computer. I would like to make DVD9 disks with AVStoDVD, anyone have any ideas? Or is it just the disk player? Funny thing it reads factory DVD9 disks though.
I would say it's the player. DL burning is still a bit of a crap shoot as is player compatibility. My older JVC and newer Philips play my DL burns, my older Pioneer does not. Also many folks use these types of apps to convert Xvid movies. The quality has been compromised and there is really nothing gained by going DL. The average 100 minute or so Xvid movie doesn't even have to fill a DVD-5 to maximize the quality. If the source is a pristine Blu-Ray rip that's when you want to maximize your bitrate and probably go DL.
Old 19th October 2009, 23:08   #1038  |  Link
Richardw322

Mystice, that's what I got over in the DVD burning are, it's the player. As I make a lot of TV episode disks from shows I recorded, it would have been nice to make 1 DVD9 rather than 2 DVD5's. No biggie. In fact, I am making one tonight, and using 2.2.2 for the first time. (to get back on topic)
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:47   #1039  |  Link
Mike_111

AVStoDVD 2.2.2 is really slow for me (first time I tried AVStoDVD). Just ~25fps with a 2.66GHz Core2Quad and default settings, I tried to convert a 40min 720p MKV (H264+AC3) with QUenc (~24fps) and HCenc (15fps@1-pass) as a test. RipBot264 and DVDRebuilder work with normal speed for me (Win7 Home Premium 64bit). Any ideas what I can do to speed it up or narrow down what causes the slow encoding?
Mike_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:23   #1040  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@Mike_111

you should not be surprised that a 720p movie is (decoded and) encoded slowly, even on a quad core. It depends from a lot of factors: installed codecs, system cleanliness, other tasks running in background, etc. You may improve AVStoDVD speed by selecting a different AVS resizer (i.e. BilinearResize) and edit the default encoding settings (toggle on '+Settings'/'Edit encoder command parameters at runtime').

Take note that usually HCenc is faster than QuEnc in multicore systems.

BTW, where did you get that mkv footage?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum