Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 6th December 2019, 22:49   #561  |  Link
redbtn

Thank you Mosu! Great work!
And thanks for vorbis comments, you didn't forget.
redbtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 23:35   #562  |  Link
Overdrive80
Anime addict

Would be possible for next versions, let sustitute files from GUI?? For example, at select file and right button of mouse, option for replacing file. This would let keep options of configuration for that track.

Thanks.
Old 8th December 2019, 02:03   #563  |  Link
redbtn

What does it mean? Every time after muxing > demuxing *.avc file this 127 bytes adds.
I'm asking because if I remember correctly, earlier versions doesn't change *.avc.

Last edited by redbtn; 8th December 2019 at 02:13.
Old 8th December 2019, 06:36   #564  |  Link
Dulus_No

@redbtn
Seems to be relevant: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...82#post1869782
Dulus_No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 10:57   #565  |  Link
redbtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulus_No View Post
Thank you. It seems it's normal behavior, so there is no problem then.
Old 9th December 2019, 16:48   #566  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
MKVToolNix GUI: update check: the dialog showing the latest news & version information states explicitly where the links take the user (the MKVToolNix "NEWS.md" file and YouTube respectively).
Thanks for taking your precious time, making this more transparent, and I'm sorry I annoyed you and made this thread awkward because of my comments about something that might look paranoid. I have nothing against many users who love YouTube, but a few users do avoid YouTube, as seen in a comment to a DEF CON 2019 talk video “YouTube version (for those who can tolerate surveillance capitalism)”. One might misunderstand you if you keep using perceived trick-to-click to a commercial site run by a company paying you, so I thought it might be your problem.

If possible, I'd like to have a --deterministic option, where the output MKV files with the same command line are always bit-identical, if things like DateUTC/SegmentUID/TrackUIDs/_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC are manually set identical (or --disable-track-statistics-tags is used for the stats). A deterministic output would have a few obvious advantages; you can easily see the output is ok (no accidental hw error occurs while muxing), by just running the same command line twice on different machines, and check if the two outputs are identical. If this is technically difficult, though, please ignore this suggestion. Thanks again.
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 18:25   #567  |  Link
mkver

Such a thing already exists: --engage no_variable_data
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 15:58   #568  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
Such a thing already exists: --engage no_variable_data
Thank you very much. That hack seems very useful for testing.
Old 10th December 2019, 19:03   #569  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive80 View Post
Would be possible for next versions, let sustitute files from GUI?? For example, at select file and right button of mouse, option for replacing file. This would let keep options of configuration for that track.
No, sorry. Way too much work, especially with getting things right for files which don't exactly match the replaced file's structure.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 19:13   #570  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
Thanks for taking your precious time, making this more transparent, and I'm sorry I annoyed you and made this thread awkward because of my comments about something that might look paranoid.
Please don't worry about it. I'm not annoyed; everything's fine. In fact I had never considered what users might expect when clicking on the version code name (back when the code name was linked to Youtube) — and that there was no way for the user to actually see where the link pointed to without clicking on it.

Quote:
If possible, I'd like to have a --deterministic option, where the output MKV files with the same command line are always bit-identical, if things like DateUTC/SegmentUID/TrackUIDs/_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC are manually set identical (or --disable-track-statistics-tags is used for the stats).
That's something I might indeed implement, with a couple of caveats. As mkver said there is the option "--engage no_variable_data" which does lead to bit-identical files — however, that's only supposed to be used for testing purposes (e.g. I use it in MKVToolNix' test suite). The intentional drawback of that option is that all UIDs start at 1 counting up and that certain strings (e.g. "muxing application" and "writing application") are replaced by the ugly string "no_variable_data".

One caveat is that I would only guarantee that the same version of mkvmerge would produce the same files — meaning I wouldn't guarantee that mkvmerge 40 and 50 create the same files. This shouldn't be a problem for your use case.

The other caveat is that I would likely make the user have to provide a seed for the random number generator with the option (seed = a number the user choses which will then be used for starting the random number generator; the RNG would then produce the same sequence if the same seed number was given).

Why would I want that? Well, because UIDs do matter to mkvmerge. For example, when reading chapters from different files chapters with the same UID are considered to be the same chapter; they're merged by mkvmerge into a single entry. If all random number generation always started with the same name, chances are way too high that all chapters end up with the same UID over and over again. This is the case with "--engage no_variable_data", obviously.

Sure, the user might always use the same seed number, but then again it's not my fault anymore

As I'm busy at the moment: please open an issue over on Gitlab for this idea so that it won't get lost. Thanks.

Old 13th December 2019, 02:50   #571  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
The other caveat is that I would likely make the user have to provide a seed for the random number generator with the option (seed = a number the user choses which will then be used for starting the random number generator; the RNG would then produce the same sequence if the same seed number was given).
Sounds a good idea to me. Since humans are bad at coming up with a random seed, it might be convenient if it accepts an arbitrary string, which is hashed internally. I'll explain this when I open an issue (not an issue, just a request though).

Quote:
Why would I want that? Well, because UIDs do matter to mkvmerge.
The current version of Header Editor lets me edit TrackUID, but it doesn't update Tag/Targets/TrackUID, so I'll get orphaned tags. Is this by design?

Quote:
As I'm busy at the moment: please open an issue over on Gitlab for this idea so that it won't get lost. Thanks.
I'm going to do that this weekend. Thanks again
Old 13th December 2019, 11:39   #572  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Sounds a good idea to me. Since humans are bad at coming up with a random seed, it might be convenient if it accepts an arbitrary string, which is hashed internally. I'll explain this when I open an issue (not an issue, just a request though).
Easy enough to do; I can simply calculate an Adler 32-bit checksum over the argument and use the result as the seed.

Quote:
The current version of Header Editor lets me edit TrackUID, but it doesn't update Tag/Targets/TrackUID, so I'll get orphaned tags. Is this by design?
Hmm, I never considered that. Not sure what I'd call that (bug or intentional behavior). Both mkvpropedit & the header editor were meant to be low-level tools for the user to _quickly set fields to any value they want with the caveat that they must know what they're doing. Other fields face similar issues with changes: segment UID, next/previous segment UID might break file linking; changes to the default duration will change the interpretation of timestamps of laced frames; changing the track number will break all existing blocks.

I think changing the UIDs inside tags & chapters would be good, but the other things I listed won't be fixed.

Please open an issue for this, too. Thanks.

Old 21st December 2019, 21:05   #573  |  Link
Megalith

Is it possible to sync MKVToolNix jobs between different PCs (W10)?
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2019, 10:43   #574  |  Link
rco133

Hi.

I am not even sure that this is related to MKVToolnix, but I don't know where else to ask.

I have a x265 video file, a DTS HD-MA audio file and an AC3 audio file that I want to mux together to one MKV file.

When I do it the following happens.

Order of added files:

video
DTS
AC3

Result is that when AC3 audio is selected the video speeds up, and the audio also speeds up. My guess is double speed.

video
AC3
DTS

Result is that when DTS audio is selected the video slows down and the audio also slows down. My guess is half speed.

No video, just audio
DTS
AC3

Result is DTS normal speed and AC3 is double speed.

The two audio files played seperatly both play at normal speed. But when combined with MKVToolnix, only the first one plays normal, and the second one is either double or half speed.

DTS track is a 2 channel HD-MA track and the AC3 track is a 2 channel 192 kb/s track.

I am sure that it is probably something with the audio files, since I have done this in MKVToolnix many times without any problems.

I am using Win10 and have tried most recent and several older MKVToolnix versions. All yield the same result.

Anyone have an idea on how to trouble shoot this, and maybe pinpoint what is actually going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

rco133
rco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2019, 11:18   #575  |  Link
rco133

Quote:
Originally Posted by rco133 View Post
Hi.

I am not even sure that this is related to MKVToolnix, but I don't know where else to ask.

I have a x265 video file, a DTS HD-MA audio file and an AC3 audio file that I want to mux together to one MKV file.

When I do it the following happens.

Order of added files:

video
DTS
AC3

Result is that when AC3 audio is selected the video speeds up, and the audio also speeds up. My guess is double speed.

video
AC3
DTS

Result is that when DTS audio is selected the video slows down and the audio also slows down. My guess is half speed.

No video, just audio
DTS
AC3

Result is DTS normal speed and AC3 is double speed.

The two audio files played seperatly both play at normal speed. But when combined with MKVToolnix, only the first one plays normal, and the second one is either double or half speed.

DTS track is a 2 channel HD-MA track and the AC3 track is a 2 channel 192 kb/s track.

I am sure that it is probably something with the audio files, since I have done this in MKVToolnix many times without any problems.

I am using Win10 and have tried most recent and several older MKVToolnix versions. All yield the same result.

Anyone have an idea on how to trouble shoot this, and maybe pinpoint what is actually going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

rco133
I may have found the issue. The DTS HD-MA file is 96 kHz sample rate while the AC3 file is 48 kHz sample rate. At least I think that may be the issue.

rco133
Old 26th December 2019, 14:16   #576  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
I may have found the issue. The DTS HD-MA file is 96 kHz sample rate while the AC3 file is 48 kHz sample rate. At least I think that may be the issue.

rco133
My not-so-humble opinion: the problem is not in MKVmerge, the problem is not in the audio files themselves, the problem is in the software /firmware you used for playing that Matroska file.

Would you mind naming it?
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2019, 19:11   #577  |  Link
rco133

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
My not-so-humble opinion: the problem is not in MKVmerge, the problem is not in the audio files themselves, the problem is in the software /firmware you used for playing that Matroska file.

Would you mind naming it?
Sure. As I said to start with I suspected it might not be a MKVToolnix issue.

Since my last post I have tried several software players.

MPC-HC 1.8.8 is my default player, and the one I first detected the issue on. Looks like it doesn't like two audio tracks to have different sample rates.

VLC, for some reason I was not able to get it to show the video. But the file played, and I could change audio tracks without the pitch of either of them changing.

SMPlayer plays the MKV file just fine, and I can change between the two audio tracks without problems.

MPC-HC relies on LAV filter I belive. No idea if this is an MPC-HC or LAV filter issue.

Looks like MKVToolnix has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.

rco133
Old 27th December 2019, 01:33   #578  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Sure. As I said to start with I suspected it might not be a MKVToolnix issue.

Since my last post I have tried several software players.

MPC-HC 1.8.8 is my default player, and the one I first detected the issue on. Looks like it doesn't like two audio tracks to have different sample rates.

VLC, for some reason I was not able to get it to show the video. But the file played, and I could change audio tracks without the pitch of either of them changing.

SMPlayer plays the MKV file just fine, and I can change between the two audio tracks without problems.

MPC-HC relies on LAV filter I belive. No idea if this is an MPC-HC or LAV filter issue.

Looks like MKVToolnix has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.

rco133
Can you upload problem file ?
Old 28th December 2019, 13:49   #579  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Is it possible to sync MKVToolNix jobs between different PCs (W10)?
If by "sync" you mean "copy", sure, with limitations. Each job file has a unique ID and can be dropped into the job queue directory of another MKVToolNix installation without overwriting anything. When MKVToolNix GUI starts it scans all files in the job queue directory and reads all it finds — meaning you don't have to do anything else to make the GUI pick up your copied file.

The limitation is that the source files must exist in the same paths on the other installation, of course.

Old 28th December 2019, 22:56   #580  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

@Mosu
Thanks very much for implementing the deterministic option (#2698). This may be a very cool feature

That is, when a few people are creating MKV files as a team, this option may be very convenient to automatically detect it when something goes wrong. Conceptually, a quality-checker can simply demux the MKV created by a teammate and remux it with the same command-line (with the same seed), to see they get an identical file.

Also, when you're creating a mission-critical MKV file, you may want to mux it twice to see the results are bit-identical. This is like something an audiophile might do, when ripping a CD not in DB (ripping it more than once to make sure every bit is ok).

Note. If I understand correctly, what is guaranteed by this option is bit-identicalness with respect to a fixed seed. Two deterministically written MKV files with different seeds, s1, s2, are generally not only non-identical, but also might be different in size. This might happen for example when only one UID in s1-MKV is different in size compared to the corresponding UID in s2-MKV, e.g. one happens to be small and fits in 7 bytes while the other requires 8 bytes. In this example, MKV with s1 is always smaller by 1 byte than MKV with s2 (*). But s1-MKV is always identical no matter how many times you mux it, and s2-MKV is always identical too.

(*) If this is a problem for some reason, one can simply try a different seed such that each UID will have a “typical” byte size.

Tags
matroska