Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 23rd September 2016, 15:19   #1  |  Link
littlepox

Apple iPhone 7 and 7p supports High 10 Profile AVC decode, but not HEVC

It is verified that High 10 Profile AVC is perfectly supported in iPhone 7 and 7p; However, HEVC is not.

Since iPhone 6, apple has included HEVC in iPhone, but only for facetime application. Its built-in player cannot recognize HEVC videos, nor do they allow 3rd party players to utilize the API.

Now, for iPhone 7, 10bit 4K decoding is available, only with AVC. Even the 8bit-HEVC is unplayable.

Seems the industry is not rushing to HEVC by any means.

Last edited by littlepox; 23rd September 2016 at 15:22.
littlepox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:28   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepox View Post
It is verified that High 10 Profile AVC is perfectly supported in iPhone 7 and 7p
Source?

Quote:
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 4K, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2
http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:32   #3  |  Link
littlepox

By our own tests.

My friend has brought an iPhone 7, and tested its video playback functions.
He is resourceful in video codec knowledge so I take his conclusion highly reliable.
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:35   #4  |  Link
hajj_3

I think the iphone 6/6s removed hevc support from facetime with a firmware update. Apple clearly doesn't want to pay the crazy patent licensing costs.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:37   #5  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
My friend has brought an iPhone 7, and tested its video playback functions.
How? With a third-party software player? How does he know ASIC is used? If ASIC is used how does he make sure it's not the 8 bit part decoding 10 bit (with artifacts in certain scenes)? I've seen that happen back in the day.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:44   #6  |  Link
littlepox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
How? With a third-party software player? How does he know ASIC is used? If ASIC is used how does he make sure it's not the 8 bit part decoding 10 bit (with artifacts in certain scenes)? I've seen that happen back in the day.
He tested the built-in player, as well as some third party player like AVPlayer, NPlayer...

the built-in player always uses hardware acceleration, and you can manually switch the mode in 3rd party ones.

It is confirmed that HW support is ready for 10bit-AVC with no visual artifacts. I trust him since he knows what he is doing, and he has definitely seen those artifacts previously with some android device. color-blocking, pink aberration...

However, no HEVC sample can be played with built-in player nor 3rd party ones forcing HW decode. They can only be played through SW mode.

Last edited by littlepox; 23rd September 2016 at 15:46.
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:10   #7  |  Link
Jamaika

Quote:
It is verified that High 10 Profile AVC is perfectly supported in iPhone 7 and 7p; However, HEVC is not.
Interesting info. I am not able to verify.
I see a player on google.
http://www.cnxplayer.com/ios
Plays 10-bit HEVC on your phone and tablets.
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:16   #8  |  Link
littlepox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaika View Post
Interesting info. I am not able to verify.
I see a player on google.
http://www.cnxplayer.com/ios
Plays 10-bit HEVC on your phone and tablets.
You can play HEVC with 3rd party players, but only with soft decode mode(which is very power consuming)
Old 24th September 2016, 14:36   #9  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
Apple clearly doesn't want to pay the crazy patent licensing costs.
I'm not surprised at all They didn't even pay taxes in EU (Irish case). I'm glad they will have to pay huge fine for this ultra greedy behavior. Removal of mini-jack is just another joke
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 19:46   #10  |  Link
hajj_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
I'm not surprised at all They didn't even pay taxes in EU (Irish case). I'm glad they will have to pay huge fine for this ultra greedy behavior. Removal of mini-jack is just another joke
I'm pretty sure the fine won't stand up in court. Apple will likely get off with no fine or a greatly reduced fine.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 20:27   #11  |  Link
kolak

Probably, but this is crazy. Same for youtube, google etc. They paid less taxes in the UK than tiny company which I work for. Sorry, but this nonsense has to stop.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 19:24   #12  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

at least google amazon etc paid 11%, something more than the apple's 0.005% on what they declare