Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 30th October 2020, 19:38   #1  |  Link
JClement

Remove Differential Jitter

I have a detelecined old movie that has lots of jitter with up&down on adjacent frames. The problem is that the jitter is only in part of the frame. The stabilization I used will calm the movement in part of the frame, usually the top and bottom, so there is jitter in the middle. But it can be on the bottom while the top is stable. The jitter is consistent on some scenes, but then may go away for a while.

I can tame a lot of it by using the VirtualDub temporal smoother at level 8, but level 6 does not do the job. This of course introduces other problems, expecially on pans. Is there any stabilization procedure that might work with my problem.

The Detelecining could not be done by the standard method so I had to do:
TDeint(mode=1) #Bob frames
srestore(23.976)

I tried mode=2 and also IVTC but this script was the best.

The original sometimes had ghosting on fast motion and also on scene changes, and dirt/dust was sometime smeared over 3 or more frames, but sometimes only on 1. Scene changes sometimes switched with half of one scene on the bottom and half of the other on the top of a frame.

I have never seen this problem with other old movies. The DVD is all I have for source and there do not seem to be any other good dubs from the film.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JClement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 20:04   #2  |  Link
johnmeyer

Without a sample, it is impossible to devise a fix.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differential jitter, jitter, movie