Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 1st May 2011, 00:46   #2161  |  Link
SamuriHL

Ah, very kuel! Gonna give that a try now as I'd really like to get this whole setup working. And I've never been a proponent of "bitstreaming is better" from a quality stand point, so, as long as it's ArcSoft's decoder, I'm good. Cyberlink's is junk, so, I'd never go there. And with ReClock using exclusive mode, channel mapping isn't a problem, either. So, as long as I can get the bit depth back, this will be an awesome setup. Thanks!
Old 1st May 2011, 00:53   #2162  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Thats what i do, ArcSoft for DTS, LAV Audio for everything else.
Old 1st May 2011, 01:00   #2163  |  Link
jmone

I also just use the method nevcairiel linked to (the Win.ini method) but others use the modified wrapper approach. The minimum you need to just get DTS-HA is the ASAudioHD.ax, checkactivate.dll, and dtsdecoderdll.dll from the link and you get full bitrate and debth. Register the ASAudioHD, do the win.ini mod and reboot. If you want dynamic filter settings changes you will need to use the modified wrapper as per the other post you found.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 01:06   #2164  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
And with ReClock using exclusive mode, channel mapping isn't a problem, either. So, as long as I can get the bit depth back, this will be an awesome setup. Thanks!
MC uses WASAPI Exclusive mode and you have a heap of channel mapping options in the DSP. Note: in Tools --> Options --> Video you have to set your Playback Device as "Same as decice used in audio playback" and check "Video Clock" (this resamples the PCM to keep in track with the video frames). In Tools --> Options --> Audio you now can set your OutputMode (WASAPI, WASAPI - Event Style), Output Mode Settings (Exclusive, Buffer Flushing etc), and in the DSP a whole heap of stuff but under Output Format you can select either the number of channels you want everthing mixed for or "Source"). Have fun! With madVR now doing basic frequence rate changes I no longer use reclock with the combo.
Old 1st May 2011, 01:07   #2165  |  Link
SamuriHL

I'm getting there, guys. The wrapper would be nice if I could get it to work. But, I've modified the win.ini. I tried adding the dll's from TMT5 and it hard locked MC16. I think I know how to deal with that issue (had to reboot). So I'm really close to having this setup on one machine.
Old 1st May 2011, 01:09   #2166  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
MC uses WASAPI Exclusive mode and you have a heap of channel mapping options in the DSP. Note: in Tools --> Options --> Video you have to set your Playback Device as "Same as decice used in audio playback" and check "Video Clock" (this resamples the PCM to keep in track with the video frames). In Tools --> Options --> Audio you now can set your OutputMode (WASAPI, WASAPI - Event Style), Output Mode Settings (Exclusive, Buffer Flushing etc), and in the DSP a whole heap of stuff but under Output Format you can select either the number of channels you want everthing mixed for or "Source"). Have fun! With madVR now doing basic frequence rate changes I no longer use reclock with the combo.
I may play with that once I get this thing stabilized. I have no issue with ReClock, but, if it's built into the player it's one less thing I have to worry about. If I'm doing PCM, it MUST be done in exclusive mode so as to bypass the nonsense of windows audio. Basically I want the stream decoded and sent directly to my receiver as is. Period.
Old 1st May 2011, 01:26   #2167  |  Link
SamuriHL

Ok, my setup isn't what you guys would probably consider ideal, but, at the moment I have perfect sound so I'm not messing with this again for a while. I'm ONLY using the ArcSoft audio decoder. No LAV Audio for now. Perfect 24 bit audio. ReClock is behaving, so, I'm gonna leave it in there and let it have at it. So, let's recap today's lesson for the class, shall we? What have we accomplished this week....good time to reflect:

We have unbelievable progress with madVR (thank you madshi!)
We have amazing forced sub support to make our DirectShow players act more like a commercial player in regard to subs (holy hell, Nev! Thank you!!!!)
We have perfect bit depth decoded audio (thanks, jmone and Nev!!)
We have the ability to simply open discs in MPC-HC and MC16 (thanks, Nev!)

What an awesome week!!!!! Very very very happy with the incredible work that has been done!
Old 1st May 2011, 01:37   #2168  |  Link
Andy o

What I don't get is what's the difference between "light", "normal" and "threaded" in the dynamic range option.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 01:41   #2169  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yea, I was wondering that myself. I've got it set to normal and it sounds identical to bitstreaming in all cases, so, whatever. Now I need to replicate this setup on my nVidia box. Won't THAT be a good time.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:04   #2170  |  Link
jmone

FYI - I just test this wrapped version of the Arcsoft on my Desktop (need to to on my HTPC later) and it seems fine with settings being kept and full sample rate on DTS-HD. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...4968#msg424968 I did a manual reg of the ASAudioHD+.AX then had to up it's merit from "do not use" for some reason. Anyway the reason this may be a good package is it is a mix of various compoenents including the matching ASAudioHD.ax (to work with the wrapper) but the 185 DTS decoder (to get full bit rate). Will have to change over on my HTPC and test to be sure however (but this will have to be later in the day)!
Old 1st May 2011, 02:12   #2171  |  Link
SamuriHL

The problem with that is that with the included ASAudioHD.ax file you only get 16 bit audio. Trust me on this. I wouldn't have gone through all that if it had simply worked. So yes, you can get audio, but, it's only 16 bit.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:14   #2172  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Yea, I was wondering that myself. I've got it set to normal and it sounds identical to bitstreaming in all cases, so, whatever. Now I need to replicate this setup on my nVidia box. Won't THAT be a good time.
I'm thinking that since to my knowledge only the Dolby formats offer the dynamic range metadata, it will only work on those. I'm fine decoding those with ffdshow anyway.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:20   #2173  |  Link
Andy o

I'm trying out working with the ATI driver and decoding everything. I'd rather use the Realtek one but it doesn't work well with WASAPI exclusive and ReClock (I think it's something ReClock does when closing exclusive mode). I'll have to live with the MC problems now, I think I'll leave my mixer on stereo.

I'm having trouble with the aforementioned DTS-HD MA 2.0 stream though, it's not decoding properly and the volume is extremely low (inaudible at normal volume), just like when I was bitstreaming it to my Pioneer receiver. It might be good news if it's not my receiver.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:25   #2174  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I'm thinking that since to my knowledge only the Dolby formats offer the dynamic range metadata, it will only work on those. I'm fine decoding those with ffdshow anyway.
Very likely. At some point I will likely get LAV Audio in the mix here. But for now I've got the dolby stuff decoding just fine in ArcSoft so I'm going to leave it alone for now. I trust the ArcSoft decoder. We all spent months complaining to ArcSoft til they got it right, so, it's by far the most bug free commercial decoder out there. I have nothing against LAV Audio at all. I know Nev's worked hard on the underlying ffmpeg code, etc. So, like I said, I'll probably switch to it at some point going forward.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:27   #2175  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I'm trying out working with the ATI driver and decoding everything. I'd rather use the Realtek one but it doesn't work well with WASAPI exclusive and ReClock (I think it's something ReClock does when closing exclusive mode). I'll have to live with the MC problems now, I think I'll leave my mixer on stereo.

I'm having trouble with the aforementioned DTS-HD MA 2.0 stream though, it's not decoding properly and the volume is extremely low (inaudible at normal volume), just like when I was bitstreaming it to my Pioneer receiver. It might be good news if it's not my receiver.
Weird. I don't have any 2 channel DTS-HD material at all so I can't test that on either of my Pio receivers.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:31   #2176  |  Link
Andy o

Never mind my post above, DTS-HD MA 2.0 is apparently decoding properly after putting the thing in an mkv.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:33   #2177  |  Link
SamuriHL

Nice. So in an m2ts file it doesn't work right?
Old 1st May 2011, 02:34   #2178  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Weird. I don't have any 2 channel DTS-HD material at all so I can't test that on either of my Pio receivers.
From googling, it appears to affect Pioneer receivers. You might wanna try and rent one of these discs to test before your warranty runs out, you might be able to upgrade the firmware. Mine just ran out a couple of months ago, I think.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:35   #2179  |  Link
SamuriHL

I don't know when my warranty runs out, but, yea, I may try and get a hold of a disc to test it.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:44   #2180  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Nice. So in an m2ts file it doesn't work right?
I opened the m2ts, but I only have one movie with this audio. It's weird though. This movie has the primary DTS-HD MA 2.0 track (which when bitstreaming, my receiver detects a Neo:6 flag and shows the "mono surround" speaker active as well, but doesn't decode properly), and a bunch of DD tracks of other languages.

The weird part is that on my filter list I got both the Arcsoft decoder, and PowerDVD 8 audio decoder. If I block the PDVD8 one, the PDVD9 one appears. So I think the DD streams are calling it. But, I have ffdshow set up for DD so it's not following the priority (?).

Anyway, I remuxed this to mkv, keeping the MA, making a new track with just the core, and keeping one DD stream, and DTS-HD 2.0 magically gets decoded. Now I don't see the PDVD decoder there, but I see AVI<->DTS or some such there, which appears to be doing something.

It just occurred to me that DTS-HD 2.0 in fact is still not being decoded, and with the mkv somehow the DTS core is playing. I'm remuxing another mkv with just the DTS-HD MA audio so only the Arcsoft decoder gets called.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter