Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Closed Thread

Old 12th February 2017, 22:11   #181  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionplushdr View Post
The guy kolak uses a Mac SDR monitor
How do you know that?
Old 12th February 2017, 22:12   #182  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
How do you know that?
He mentioned it a million times.
Old 12th February 2017, 22:13   #183  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Give me just one link so I don't have to go through 150 posts.
Old 12th February 2017, 22:14   #184  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
... But he made the crappy camper HDR video that looks worse than my old DVD's.
Where I've said this?

I seen it long time ago, so I know it's very old clip. That's all I said. Stop assuming, because this is like not using proper monitoring for your work- very misleading.

You don't setup anything as you need/like- there is only one good setting, which is achieved by calibrating reference TV in the actual room.
Anything else is wrong (more or less).
I can 100% guarantee you (not even knowing your settings) that your HDR preview is very different than reference HDR TV- Sony or Dolby (specially knowing your taste). This means your claims about crap clors etc. have simply no ground and that's why this whole debate is abut pointless.
Old 12th February 2017, 22:15   #185  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Where I've said this?

I seen it long time ago, so I know it's very old clip. That's all I said. Stop assuming, because this is like not using proper monitoring for your work- very misleading.

You don't setup anything as you need/like- there is only one good setting, which is achieved by calibrating reference TV in the actual room.
I can 100% guarantee you (not even knowing your settings) that your HDR preview is very different than reference HDR TV- Sony or Dolby (specially knowing your taste). This means your claims about crap clors etc. have simply no ground and that's why this whole debate is abut pointless.
In the old thread it's posted you have "worked" in the HDR Sony Demo.

Now you are lying to yourself?
Old 12th February 2017, 22:16   #186  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Once in order to hint you that without reference monitoring you can't tell reliably anything about someone else grading job.
Also- any "grading" job which you do is worthless as your TV will be far from giving proper preview.

Last edited by kolak; 12th February 2017 at 22:18.
Old 12th February 2017, 22:16   #187  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
For example

Quote:
The only issue that with high brightness colors are preserved differently, they will look way more saturated (maybe that's why your madVR preview is so desaturated).
You can't simulate this! You need real HDR TV, so your eyes are hit with this higher than SDR nits. You assume that eye sees colors the same regardless of brightness. Well, not long time ago you said flower looks different in the sun Make your mind.

Get real, stop judging HDR videos on SDR madVR preview. Is your TV calibrated? You have 100 of variables, so what you see may be veeery different than in reality (what colorist saw on good reference TV).
How can I judge these grabs if my Mac screen crashes blacks, is over saturated etc.
Your really don't get idea of reference preview!

Lost any further interest in this (anyway) meaningless discussion.
Old 12th February 2017, 22:17   #188  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Once in order to hint you that without reference monitoring you can't tell reliably anything about someone else grading job.
You can't watch HDR on a Mac monitor. You can't watch native HDR video man. Are you sure you are mentally right.
Old 12th February 2017, 22:19   #189  |  Link
kolak

You still don't get it.

Old 12th February 2017, 22:21   #190  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
You still don't get it.

Are you in some bot repeating mode now? You posted this like 4 times lol.

I don't need to setup anything i just play the same movie as studios did in higher nits. What's wrong with you?
Old 12th February 2017, 22:26   #191  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
The guy also denied now ( because it looks like crap ) he did not work in the HDR sony demo.

Where anybody in doom9 can remember his post about the "collaboration" in that video. He liked to use to lie to himself then? What a world.
Old 12th February 2017, 23:04   #192  |  Link
CruNcher

Colaboration doesn't necessarily means he graded it at all and is responsible for those results
Also he said that sample is way older then we know about it even before it was officially used for Device presentations and it's final leak to the public.
So really one of the very early overall 4K HDR workflow tests most probably of Sony in the release of the F65,depending on the calibration that time the noise could have gone maybe unnoticed due to the PQ setup or any other circumstance, maybe they where right in the process testing their FX1 Reality Denoiser and didn't noticed it at all on playback
Dont forget Sony had their own Internal Idea of HDR and PQ as well which partly survived in their own Chip and processing

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 12th February 2017 at 23:12.
Old 12th February 2017, 23:13   #193  |  Link
kolak

I'm not colorists, so 100% I did not grade it. Well, had nothing to do with it, except seeing it way before it got public. I don't think it was ever shot with HDR in mind, but more as F65 test (more Slog-3 test). Very early test which shows a lot of noise. I seen other samples from F65 which has similar problem.
Old 12th February 2017, 23:13   #194  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

This thread, unfortunately, has devolved into madness just like the last one. Some folks have been struck and I'm closing the thread again. It's COMPLETELY off-topic.

Just a reminder to everyone, read the rules of the site. There are so many rule 4 violations in this thread it's not even funny. Please be nice to each other. Don't troll. This is supposed to be a place for civil discussion and development of video tools and processes.

Feel free to start a new thread to actually discuss the encoding of 4K HEVC content.
Closed Thread