Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th June 2018, 21:53   #51281  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post

I can't tell what's going on in those images, either. I doubt it has anything to do with the chroma.

If you think you are getting a better image with 8-bit Y'CbCr, I would try outputting in Y'CbCr or RGB at 8-bits. Added noise is either due to bad upscaling, the source having these artifacts or banding due to bad color conversions by the display.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 21:55   #51282  |  Link
Warner306

I put together a post on how to configure the display and GPU for media playback.

How to Configure a Display and GPU for a HTPC

This post is linked in the Kodi guide but can also be referenced by anyone else should the question come up (and it usually does).

I'd also take any suggestions as far as omissions/errors are concerned.
Old 11th June 2018, 00:37   #51283  |  Link
Warner306

I forgot about the forced limited range of Y'CbCr. How do AMD users using hdr passthrough set up their desktop?

And UHD Deep Color is apparently a thing. Deleted that line.
Old 11th June 2018, 01:43   #51284  |  Link
mkohman

Hi Guys.. I am hoping that someone with knowledge for JVC projectors using madVR to convert HDR to SDR can help me.. I have played around with the settings and seem to have got things nice and balanced.. However I would appreciate if you could please look at the images attached in order to advise me if you can spot any errors in my settings...

JVC projectors with their natural HDR mode has never been pleasing to me.. The picture seems too dark and doesn't seem right.. I am using madVR to convert HDR to SDR using pixel shadings and the result is much more pleasing.. Below attached images will give you an idea of my used settings which I would really appreciate if you could spot out any errors or advise me to change a particular setting.. Many thanks in advance..

PS: here is a link I uploaded on YouTube to show the results :

https://youtu.be/BbnoLvbmp_I

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 02:20   #51285  |  Link
SamuriHL

Wow I finally had a few minutes to upgrade my HTPC with the june 5th nvidia driver (don't have the version off hand right now but it's the latest as of this writing). I am super impressed. I've had lots of problems with my setup in the past few months with dropped and repeated frames and all that. The latest nVidia driver allows me to set madvr to full 10bit, driver to full 12 bit, and TV to accept 4:4:4. PQ is phenomenal and dropped frames while bitstreaming audio seem to be extremely rare now. Good job nVidia! I've not tested 3D but hey this is pretty sweet for 2D!
Old 11th June 2018, 09:13   #51286  |  Link
Manni

@mkohman

You options on the JVC are good, but your peak brightness in MadVR is too low. With 200nits, you are compressing highlights way too much with bright titles (those with MaxCLL above 2000nits). You have a new (as in recent) JVC model that gives this information in the info screen, so use it.

A good rule of thumb for peak brightness in MadVR for JVC users is around four time the actual peak brightness. For example, I have 120nits in low lamp (2200hours), so I use 480nits for 4000nits titles. With 1000nits titles, you might want to keep using 200nits. I have 170nits in high lamp, so I use around 650nits. That gives you a brightness factor of 4.

Hopefully we'll soon get a variable in MadVR which will allow us to select a different profile according to the content, and when the tonemapping is sorted we'll work on improving it with dynamic behaviour optimized for projector.

You can also ask calibration specific questions in the JVC Autocal thread over at AVS, lots of good people who know a lot about the JVC and will be happy to help re questions about HDR calibration that are not specific to MadVR.

In the meantime, be patient!
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 11th June 2018 at 09:15.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 10:15   #51287  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Wow I finally had a few minutes to upgrade my HTPC with the june 5th nvidia driver (don't have the version off hand right now but it's the latest as of this writing). I am super impressed. I've had lots of problems with my setup in the past few months with dropped and repeated frames and all that. The latest nVidia driver allows me to set madvr to full 10bit, driver to full 12 bit, and TV to accept 4:4:4. PQ is phenomenal and dropped frames while bitstreaming audio seem to be extremely rare now. Good job nVidia! I've not tested 3D but hey this is pretty sweet for 2D!
I assume its Driver Version 398.11. After reading your post I thought I would try again as I had the same old issues with this driver and not saving custom resolutions.

This time I used DDU to wipe out any remnants of my older driver 390.77 which is the one I have had success with for frame rates.

Wiped, and then restarted and installed 398.11, tried a video and yes it looks like as I said previously in another post Nvidia seem to have created a 23.976 fix, but for me it was Frame repeats every 12 minutes which I verified watching a video.

I then tried to create a custom resolution, and again and again, it would switch to the 23 mode when you selected test, but after you selected ok, the custom resolution dissapeared, tried various times no joy.

Used the madVR custom res mode and it created one, it said I would have frame repeats every 7 hours, went into control panel, and yes there was a custom mode there, tried a video, and same again, drops every 12 minutes ish. So I then amended the madVR custom mode in Nvidia Control Panel, and no matter what I changed the frame rate seems to be locked by Nvidia for me.

Unsure if it is because I am Bitstreaming and others are not to see the benefit, ah well.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 10:38   #51288  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
@mkohman

You options on the JVC are good, but your peak brightness in MadVR is too low. With 200nits, you are compressing highlights way too much with bright titles (those with MaxCLL above 2000nits). You have a new (as in recent) JVC model that gives this information in the info screen, so use it.

A good rule of thumb for peak brightness in MadVR for JVC users is around four time the actual peak brightness. For example, I have 120nits in low lamp (2200hours), so I use 480nits for 4000nits titles. With 1000nits titles, you might want to keep using 200nits. I have 170nits in high lamp, so I use around 650nits. That gives you a brightness factor of 4.

Hopefully we'll soon get a variable in MadVR which will allow us to select a different profile according to the content, and when the tonemapping is sorted we'll work on improving it with dynamic behaviour optimized for projector.

You can also ask calibration specific questions in the JVC Autocal thread over at AVS, lots of good people who know a lot about the JVC and will be happy to help re questions about HDR calibration that are not specific to MadVR.

In the meantime, be patient!
Thank you so much @Manni really look forward to things improving for projector HDR in madVR and really appreciate the work that @mashi and everyone else is putting into it..

The nitts situation makes sense, however I always use low lamp and I don't know how many nitts it produces.. I don't have the tool to measure it but I will have a play around 400 to 500 nitts in madVR and see how it looks.

Do you mind explaining what the info of maxCALL/maxFALL actually mean? Thank you

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 10:46   #51289  |  Link
stefanelli73

In MadVr I use "PROCESS HDR CONTENT BY USING PIXEL SHADER MATH", as with my OPTOMA UHZ65 laser I can get an excellent HDR image, being the vpr very bright, so I do not feel the need to convert the hdr into sdr, also "PROCESS HDR ....." gives me a better image than "PASSTHROUGH HDR" .... in this regard I wanted to know if the function "measure each frame's peak luminance" affects the overall image to me it would seem yes, but I also wait for other opinions
PS: My vpr in HDR was calibrated not with the 3dlut as in sdr, but manually with the commands of the vpr, (white point 80 and 20ire and cms 8 points) using the test disk RYAN MASCIOLA HDR10 and CHROMAPURE, then in MadVr uses "this display is already calibrated" and BT.2020.
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 12:21   #51290  |  Link
Jasch

Hi,

just for info, HDR switching ist not working for newer AMD Drivers.(at least for win 1703(LTSB), have not checked 1804 )
latest working is 18.3.4.(i guess the changed something with 18.4.1 netflix 4k update).

wbr Alex

Last edited by Jasch; 11th June 2018 at 12:25.
Jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 12:46   #51291  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I assume its Driver Version 398.11. After reading your post I thought I would try again as I had the same old issues with this driver and not saving custom resolutions.
I managed to get the Nvidia custom resolution to save for 24Hz. When I specified that as a resolution for madVR to switch to now my 23.976 stuff launches with the 24Hz custom res and I don't get frame drops. I'll switch it back to 23Hz when the driver isn't borked, down side is I can't switch to 10-bit output with this driver at this refresh rate.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 14:24   #51292  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post

This time I used DDU to wipe out any remnants of my older driver 390.77 which is the one I have had success with for frame rates.

Wiped, and then restarted and installed 398.11, tried a video and yes it looks like as I said previously in another post Nvidia seem to have created a 23.976 fix, but for me it was Frame repeats every 12 minutes which I verified watching a video.

I then tried to create a custom resolution, and again and again, it would switch to the 23 mode when you selected test, but after you selected ok, the custom resolution dissapeared, tried various times no joy.

Used the madVR custom res mode and it created one, it said I would have frame repeats every 7 hours, went into control panel, and yes there was a custom mode there, tried a video, and same again, drops every 12 minutes ish. So I then amended the madVR custom mode in Nvidia Control Panel, and no matter what I changed the frame rate seems to be locked by Nvidia for me.

Unsure if it is because I am Bitstreaming and others are not to see the benefit, ah well.
That is really weird. I'm not having the same issue creating the custom res. I did it two different ways...once with madvr and once manually and both were able to stick. Madvr told me I was going to get a frame repeat every 10 or so minutes but upon validating by watching a movie it was 1 frame repeat every 45 minutes or so which I can live with. This is while bitstreaming. This is the best I've seen in many months so I'm rather happy. I've not tested 3D yet and I'm sure that's going to be a whole different ballgame.
Old 11th June 2018, 14:43   #51293  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I managed to get the Nvidia custom resolution to save for 24Hz. When I specified that as a resolution for madVR to switch to now my 23.976 stuff launches with the 24Hz custom res and I don't get frame drops. I'll switch it back to 23Hz when the driver isn't borked, down side is I can't switch to 10-bit output with this driver at this refresh rate.
Oh damn I missed that it switched it to 8 bit and locked it there. Yea, that's absolutely true. sigh
Old 11th June 2018, 15:05   #51294  |  Link
SamuriHL

Well now I've gone and done it. I broke it. LOL I did a DDU/clean driver install and now I'm not able to recreate my custom res at all. It's just not sticking. Nor is 12 bpc for 23 sticking. So glad I tried a clean install! WOOPS! I'll see if I can figure out how to fix it.
Old 11th June 2018, 18:56   #51295  |  Link
brazen1

nVidia driver v.398.11 still has audio bug. Also, I doubt it survives a 12bit reboot without reverting back to 8bit which is the least of the problems anyway. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...609#pid2742609
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 22:06   #51296  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yea, the 12 bit is absolutely NOT sticking. At all. SIGH.
Old 11th June 2018, 22:51   #51297  |  Link
giulianoprs

Osd

Hello everyone, can anyone tell me if my OSD is good, sufficient or bad? thanks to everyone bye.

https://imageshack.com/my/images
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 22:53   #51298  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

This is not a shareable URL.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 23:16   #51299  |  Link
giulianoprs

How can I post a picture? which url is shared? others I have seen that they have posted other url.
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 23:56   #51300  |  Link
Magik Mark

Hi!

Does anyone here keeping record of which Nvidia driver is best for all types of custom refresh rates?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling