Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 6th August 2012, 20:24   #2081  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@8ternity

I cannot replicate the issue. Do you get the error with the default English language too?

@Pawpcorn

I'm currently using the FFmpeg -r 1 command to generate still images at 1 fps

@hlrsnd

in addition to 8ternity suggestions, I would add to check the option to delete the AVStoDVD registry key when you do a complete unistall.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 01:38   #2082  |  Link
manolito

Hi MrC,
it has been a while...

I normally do not use AVStoDVD, and it was pure coincidence that a few days ago I saw the latest Alpha build which supports language files. And I remembered that some time ago I did offer to do a German translation for AVStoDVD. Well, here it is:
///Link removed///

Some things (mostly tool tips) could not be translated because they are not included in the language file. The translation for the Menu Wizard shows up in the text menu, but not in the menu button text. And there is a false assignment in the Aften Advanced Options. The "Dynamic Range" text shows up twice while the "Lowpass" text does not show up at all.

And I have one suggestion: At the first start AVStoDVD displays a Quick Start Tutorial, and since no language has been selected at this time, the tutorial always shows up in English. It would be nice if the program did check the current country setting first and switch to the corresponding language before displaying the tutorial.

Unfortunately I get a similar program crash as 8ternity. Whenever I click on an entry in the sources window, I get the message: "Runtime error 9. Index out of valid range", and the program aborts. This only happens when I use my German language file, with the English or Italian language file everything is fine.

Another thing which does not work is indexing with DGIndex when I try to open an IFO file from a DVD. I just get the message that indexing failed without any further explanation. (This also happens with the stable version 2.42)

Last thing for today is a question about MKVToolNix versions. The stable installer versions of AVStoDVD come with an older version of MKVToolNix which obviously does work. Some time ago Mosu changed the behavior of MKVToolNix regarding the track IDs and track numbers of audio files, and this broke some older software which relies on MKVToolNix (StaxRip is one of them). Is the current Alpha of AVStoDVD compatible with the latest versions of MKVToolNix, or do we have to use an older version?

Alright, enough for tonite, time to go to bed...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 23rd August 2012 at 13:37.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 05:51   #2083  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsnd View Post
something about an error in line 76.
Sounds like a typo in the AVS script.

Can you post the script? (Particularly line 76)

Are these manually structured scripts for AviSnyth?
Sometimes it's as simple as forgetting a character or adding a different one.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 21:13   #2084  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@Manolito

Hi there and thanks for your always appreciated and valid inputs. And many many thanks for the German localization file! That's a great support to AVStoDVD!

As you have already discovered, languages support is still a work in progress. Some tooltips and almost all messages have not been translated yet. Probably I will distribute the 2.5.0 final release with a preliminary languages support, to be extended in further releases.

Thanks about the main titles window issue and the DGIndex error reports. I will fix them ASAP (now I'm in vacation with my family, just few minutes to check the forum ).

I didn't know about the MKVtoolnix tracks ID management change. Bad news indeed. Two MKVtoolnix versions to handle for a while...

The first Quick StartUp Tutorial language reading from the Win registry is surely feasible. I will add it to the ToDo list.

About the German localization, please have a look to labels fitting into textboxes and toolboxes. Since german words are sometimes extremely loooong, there is the possibility that there is not enough space.

Thanks again for the support

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 7th August 2012, 21:37   #2085  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
About the German localization, please have a look to labels fitting into textboxes and toolboxes. Since german words are sometimes extremely loooong, there is the possibility that there is not enough space.
Oh yes, I do know that...
And since VB does not use the standard resource format a translator has no way to adjust the size of input boxes, message boxes and so on.

But I believe I did catch all problems (it took longer to modify text to fit into the boxes than the raw translation itself). Luckily it does not depend on the screen resolution, I tested it at 800x600, and everything did fit into the boxes.

It sure makes for some translated phrases which are not too elegant, but I think everything is understandable. And of course there is a lot of room for improvement...

Quote:
I didn't know about the MKVtoolnix tracks ID management change. Bad news indeed. Two MKVtoolnix versions to handle for a while...
The problems started with version 5.20. MKVExtractGUI-2 and MKVCleaver had to be updated to work with newer versions of MKVToolNix. Have a look here...
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...92#post1547092

Enjoy your vacation, hopefully with nice weather...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 8th August 2012 at 15:40.
Old 9th August 2012, 02:53   #2086  |  Link
hlrsnd

Quote:
@@hlrsnd

in addition to 8ternity suggestions, I would add to check the option to delete the AVStoDVD registry key when you do a complete unistall.

Bye
I was using the 2.4.1 NoInstall package and switched to 2.4.2 NoInstall which then couldn't understand .avs scripts. I tried installing and uninstalling several Installer packages which didn't work. Per your suggestion, I finally deleted all the AVStoDVD registry keys I could find then tried 2.4.2 NoInstall again. Success! Apparently running 2.4.2 NoInstall over the 2.4.1 NoInstall registry caused the problem. Thanks for the help!
hlrsnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 18:27   #2087  |  Link
8ternity

Quote:
@8ternity

I cannot replicate the issue. Do you get the error with the default English language too?
True. Only does that in FRENCH language. In English it's okay.
Did you want the French.lang partial translation to reproduce?

thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 18:52   #2088  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@Manolito

thanks for the MkvToolNix issue link. I have just downloaded it and, yes, AVStoDVD needs to be updated to support the new indexing system. Hopefully it is not that difficult: ID(new) = ID(old) - 1

About German translation, have a look to the main window toolbar: the 2 last icons ('Jobs List' and 'Help') have been pushed out to the left

I have catched the title section bug using the German languages. Just wait few days for the bugfix.

@hlrsnd

nice to hear that you have fixed.

@8ternity

yes thanks, that would be better, to confirm the same bug as the German translation.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 9th August 2012 at 20:37.
Old 9th August 2012, 23:50   #2089  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
About German translation, have a look to the main window toolbar: the 2 last icons ('Jobs List' and 'Help') have been pushed out to the left
Thanks for catching this, already fixed..
Redownload:
///Link removed///

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 23rd August 2012 at 13:36.
Old 10th August 2012, 14:13   #2090  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Thanks! Great job!

And here you are the hotfix

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 10th August 2012, 19:21   #2091  |  Link
manolito

YES !!!
The hotfix takes care of the crashes caused by the language file. The Aften Advanced Options malassignment is also fixed. Beautiful...

So there is room for some other suggestions, thoughts and bug reports:

The Menu Wizard option still has a problem.
This is how it should be:
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/23479...rrectRW4M2.png
And this is not:
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/23479...wrong6MWAF.png

The behavior of the Quick Start Tutorial should be improved. After making the settings pressing OK should take over these settings to the main window (not working for the language selection) plus save these settings. But nothing is saved unless you do this manually through the settings dialog.

Under the Options menu the "Advanced Project Settings (F8)" entry has no effect at all. It can only be invoked by clicking the button.

And I have some more suggestions:

I reported earlier that indexing an IFO file from a DVD does not work. The reason is that AVStoDVD tries to save the index file in the source folder of the DVD. Indexing only works right now if the whole DVD structure is ripped to the HD first. I know that this is generally desirable, but I think it would be more elegant if the index file was stored in the AVStoDVD working (or Temp) folder. At least there should be an error message which explains why the indexing failed...

I found out the hard way that AVStoDVD needs at least AviSynth version 2.57 (the shortcuts for changefps like "pal_film" are not supported prior to v. 2.57). I was still using v. 2.56, a warning from AVStoDVD would have saved me some time.

And the last item on my wish list is updating HCenc to version 0.26 beta. Hank has not updated HC in more than a year, version 0.26 is stable as a rock, and it has a couple of improvements over 0.25. And under the advanced HC settings I would like to see the manono matrices included, they are really very good.

Ok, I hope my wish list isn't too long...
Looking forward to the stable version 2.50, and many thanks for this beautiful piece of software.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 10th August 2012 at 19:28.
Old 19th August 2012, 19:04   #2092  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Some time ago Mosu changed the behavior of MKVToolNix regarding the track IDs and track numbers of audio files, and this broke some older software which relies on MKVToolNix (StaxRip is one of them)
I confirm this and a change regarding chapters generated by MakeMKV as breaking change in mkvtoolnix, I don't have a schedule but it will be fixed.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:57   #2093  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@manolito

thanks for the inputs. This new alpha should cover most of them.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:35   #2094  |  Link
manolito

Thanks very much for the new version...

I thought you were enjoying your vacation, but instead you have been working very hard on my wish list. And yes, almost everything works like a charm.

I fixed some ugly things in the German language file, get it here:
***Link removed***

I also played a little with the DVD parsing tool, and most things already work. The two things I noticed are that for some DVDs the subtitle extraction failed (without much explanation) while for others it worked fine.

And for some DVDs which were authored with Mplex/DVDAuthor audio demuxing resulted in an error message followed by a program crash. Here is the error message:
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/238203/parsingQ8K1N.png
(Wrong file name or -number)
This did not happen with DVDs which were authored with MuxMan, and all commercial DVDs I tried also gave no errors. So I suppose it is DVDAuthor's fault.

Anyways, thanks again for your hard work, AVStoDVD deserves Beta status already IMO.

Cheers
manolito

//Edit//
One thing I forgot to ask:
I noticed that whenever my source is a DVD IFO, The Direct Stream Copy option for the video is greyed out. The video is certainly DVD compliant (converting the VTS to an MPEG file and feeding this file to AVStoDVD does let me use Direct Stream Copy).
Is this behavior intentional, or did I discover a bug?

Last edited by manolito; 27th August 2012 at 22:36.
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:03   #2095  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Hi Manolito,

vacations are already finished, always too short, my bad...

Thanks for the German update. Your support is highly welcome.

About the DVD parsing tool, keep in mind that it is very experimental, mainly because it is based on an old VB6 parsing routine I have found some time ago. Nothing really sophisticated neither rock solid. For example many Disney DVDs, that have usually complex structures, are not correctly parsed. BTW, do you get the error with every dvdauthor output or only with some? Have you noticed any commonalities?

If the source is a DVD ifo, then indexing is required, so the "new" source file is the resulting d2v output from DGIndex. Re-encoding is mandatory (DGDecode.dll and MPEG2Source) and Direct Stream Copy is greyed out.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 24th August 2012, 00:18   #2096  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
BTW, do you get the error with every dvdauthor output or only with some? Have you noticed any commonalities?
Hi MrC,

just did a couple of tests to find out if I could see any reproduceable pattern when audio demuxing would fail. Right now it looks like it is not even DVDAuthor by itself, but it is DVDAuthor when used from within an older version of DVDStyler.

I use DVDStyler frequently as a one-stop authoring and burning tool, and all players I have access to never complained about the output. But the AVStoDVD parsing tool always chokes on these DVD structures.

Authoring the same source file manually with the same version of DVDAuthor results in a DVD structure which your parsing tool handles without any errors.

Which means that DVDStyler is to blame...So just forget about it

//Edit
Tested the current version of DVDStyler (which has other issues), and this took care of the problem...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 24th August 2012 at 23:25.
Old 25th August 2012, 02:36   #2097  |  Link
davidcw

High bitrate with wav sound

Hi MrC,
When I set AVStoDVD for wav sound and set the output to elementary MPEG2 streams, the bitrate exceeds the DVD specs when the sound bitrate of 1.5mbits is added on.
See the attached image.

This only occurs with the latest versions including
2.5.0 Alpha build 120820.

Edit: Am using HC026 two pass encoder.
Attached Images

Last edited by davidcw; 25th August 2012 at 02:45.
davidcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 19:14   #2098  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@manolito

thanks for the feedback on the DVD Styler issue. But, please, do not consider my experimental parsing tool as a bible... that's much far from.

@davidcw

does Muxman refuse to author the produced assets (m2v and wav)? Do you still have the project log file?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 25th August 2012, 19:39   #2099  |  Link
manolito

@MrC

I am just playing a bit more with AVStoDVD and configuring it better for my needs (not using QuEnc any more, too many problems with Muxman at high bitrates. Also changed max bitrate from 9000 to 8500 in the registry). And I am very impressed how well all settings are adjusted automatically according to the source.

One small thing (call it nitpicking):
The AVS file mostly has the entry :
Video = Video.ConvertToYV12

It should be
Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()

because due to an AviSynth peculiarity these brackets will increase speed.

Cheers
manolito
Old 25th August 2012, 21:56   #2100  |  Link
davidcw

[QUOTE=MrC;

@davidcw

does Muxman refuse to author the produced assets (m2v and wav)? Do you still have the project log file?

Bye[/QUOTE]

Yes muxman refuses to author the produced assets (I create the wav sound file separately with Audacity)
Attached Files
File Type: txt DVD_109.txt (4.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by davidcw; 26th August 2012 at 01:52.
davidcw is offline   Reply With Quote