Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 18th December 2008, 05:40   #1  |  Link
Ábudos
Suspended for forum rule violations

Need help with GraphStudio

I need to find a way to demux a mkv video into it's elemental streams (raw 264 file and rar ac3 file).

I've been using tsMuxer, but I've come across several videos which it can't support. Most of them are from AVCHD video cameras ans some are from a Canon EOS 5d Mk II. All of them are H.264. The video from the Canon is SPS picture order 2, which is why tsMuxer fails, and the ones from the AVCHD cameras simply are buggy once worked with by tsMuxer or mkvmerge, idk whats with them, but those apps bug out with them.

What I want to do is use GraphStudio to do it. I set up a Halii Media Spliter with a test file and pinned a dump filter to the video out, but the file won't play in VLC. I used tsMuxer to demux the same file and it was playable. The one from GraphStudio was about 30KB smaller (150MB file) than the on from tsMuxer. I did a file comparison of the two and for the first couple of KB there were two byte differences every 1000 bytes or so.
Ábudos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 08:39   #2  |  Link
squid_80

Why not use mkvextract?
squid_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 09:17   #3  |  Link
Ábudos

Well, Mkvextract does work, but I would like to be able to do it in a graph as well.

Also, why cant I take a .264 file and load it in a graph and attach it to a decoder or a muxer?
Old 18th December 2008, 09:25   #4  |  Link
RadScorpion

That's because .264 files are usually saved using the Annex B (ISO/IEC 14496-10) bitstream syntax. As far as I know there is no DShow demuxer that can open raw H.264 files (I might write one soon).
Containers such as MP4 store H.264 in a different way (ISO/IEC 14496-15). There is a field before each NAL unit with the size of the following NAL units in bytes. This is also the way how most of DShow filters exchange H.264 streams.
RadScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 09:29   #5  |  Link
squid_80

Probably because it needs a source/splitter filter. Even though it's not in a container it still needs a filter to parse the bitstream correctly (pass metadata to the decoder and break the stream into frames/samples).

(To clarify: this is in reply to Abudos, not RadScorpion.)
squid_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 10:07   #6  |  Link
Ábudos

That and I sometimes need to extract .mp4 and .mov so I'd be nice if I could use a graph.
Old 19th December 2008, 04:14   #7  |  Link
Ábudos

Do people not people not have much experience with GraphStudio, because I'm sure it would be the exact same in GraphEdit.
Old 19th December 2008, 06:16   #8  |  Link
dat720

Can't speak for others, but i restrict myself to cross platform software that doesnt require direct show filters!
dat720 is offline   Reply With Quote