Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 6th September 2012, 10:01   #201  |  Link
sPaCeMoNk3y

for subtitles the file has to be a m4v. If there are multiple subtitles they need to be grouped. the hdlr name/type has to be switched to sbtl. only text subtitles are working. this means vob sub/idx (graphic) subtitles are not working, they first need to be converted to srt or ttxt by an OCR like subtitles edit. since with OCR errors could occur, that can only be solved by hand, it'd be better to do it upfront. so live remuxing subtitles would only work if the subtitles are already text based and not graphic based.
sPaCeMoNk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 10:04   #202  |  Link
oreons
MkvToMp4 author

sPaCeMoNk3y,
Subs bug fixed - http://www.mediafire.com/?019nr1ncdfm1gco

Vize99,
To view the subtitles need atoms correction in mp4 file. I do not know how to do it in the live mode.
oreons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 10:14   #203  |  Link
oreons
MkvToMp4 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPaCeMoNk3y View Post
the hdlr name/type has to be switched to sbtl.
Yes, and write in the sub TKHD atom flag and group number.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:54   #204  |  Link
sPaCeMoNk3y

oreons, great job! now this tool covers all I need. Impressive
Old 10th September 2012, 10:19   #205  |  Link
Vize99

sPaCeMoNk3y, thanks for your input.
Most MKV Files contain the subtitles in SRT (UTF-8) format, so text based as you mention.
If not, generating offline an additional subtitle file in whatever format & naming convention required would not be an issue at all.

So additional rather small Subtitle files no problem - Problem is if the original MKV Container File has to be modified in any way. Preserving the original MKV File I end up again with a second Mp4 File of similar size effectively cutting capacity of drive / File Server in half.

Last edited by Vize99; 24th October 2012 at 21:19.
Vize99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 11:05   #206  |  Link
VoXHD

only one filter: vf resize
can you add more filters, like denoise3dhq, blur/sharp?
VoXHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 11:01   #207  |  Link
oreons
MkvToMp4 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoXHD View Post
only one filter: vf resize
can you add more filters, like denoise3dhq, blur/sharp?
No in the plans.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:30   #208  |  Link
VoXHD

bleah... ugly...
just do it for me.
or tell me how could i add any sharpen filter as a reencode parameter.
VoXHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 10:19   #209  |  Link
oreons
MkvToMp4 author

VoXHD,
You can change settings for the profile and add filters there in the parameter string.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:06   #210  |  Link
va_lentin

When Azid decodes audio, mutes a channel

Hi, when MkvToMp4 decodes AC3 audio to WAV, mutes the channel 3 and reduces the volume of the other channels. In my opinion, the parameters used by default on Azid aren't correct.

Original audio channels encoded on AC3:

Azid's parameters by default in MkvToMp4:
Azid -d 3/2 -o L,R,C,LFE,SL,SR

WAV audio channels decoded from Azid with parameters by default in MkvToMp4:

Azid with correct parameters:
Azid -d 3/2 -l 1.0 -L 0.0 -o L,R,C,LFE,SL,SR

WAV audio channels decoded from Azid with correct parameters:

I think it is the same with DTS audio channels.
Good program! Thanks.
va_lentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 15:15   #211  |  Link
Mr. Monte

How do I take an MKV with subs and make those subs hardcoded during an encode in mkvtomp4..so I can see them on my iPad?

Mr. Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 19:06   #212  |  Link
Vize99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monte View Post
How do I take an MKV with subs and make those subs hardcoded during an encode in mkvtomp4..so I can see them on my iPad?

Actually the version posted above in #202: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1590165 works quite well with "soft" subs.
Subs should either be part of orig. MKV container or a SRT File named after Movie.
Works most of the time rather well regardless if you
-stream over local network by 3rd Party tools
-or share over local netw. via Itunes 'Home sharing' option
-or copy the generated M4V File to the phone if you must.

Pls note that usually you have to activate display of subs in Apple's QT player menu during playback.
If subs don't show up, sometimes it helps to either change extension into MP4 or better create a symbolic link to the M4V file and rename link only or try start playback from beginning.

This great little tool does everything trying to spare you a re-/transcode - I mean what's the point in having a high-definition Movie in 720p or 1080p and then ruin the quality by a 'quick&dirty' recode ?

Last edited by Vize99; 5th October 2012 at 19:30. Reason: Spelling
Vize99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 21:06   #213  |  Link
sPaCeMoNk3y

And even if there are vob/idx sub tracks included you can make srt files with subtitle edit which uses OCR. may be this tool should also be included, to directly access it via the track listing. then mkv2mp4 would do everything imaginable.
Old 6th October 2012, 02:37   #214  |  Link
Mr. Monte

Viz..Im playing back on an iPad...will it hardcode the SRT, sub file for me? Ipad video viewer does not allow me to turn subs on or off...I think they have to be hardcoded
Mr. Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 12:27   #215  |  Link
oreons
MkvToMp4 author

va_lentin,
Thanks, I'll fix it.
Old 11th October 2012, 21:07   #216  |  Link
rcrh

Wow, wow, wow this program is great. It's improved my Plex server performance by about 70 million percent! I had hickups, farts, & crashes with mkv containers and now nothing but joy with mp4 containers. Thanks so much.

I'd really like to build this into my collection process and I know that there was an earlier question in here concerning automation. But, that question was looking for mkvtomp4 to monitor a folder and convert any new files. I'm looking for a way to run it from a batch file and simply have it remux. Other options would be nice but I'd be happy if it just accepted parameters of the source file, destination file, and remux (a home run might be to kick out a log file).

I hope this is possible and thanks again for a great tool.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 18:19   #217  |  Link
oreons
MkvToMp4 author

rcrh,
Automation currently no in plans ...
Old 15th October 2012, 21:06   #218  |  Link
rcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreons View Post
rcrh,
Automation currently no in plans ...
Too bad. Thanks though.
Old 15th October 2012, 21:11   #219  |  Link
rcrh

25 fps ending up out of sync

I've got a number of files with 25fps video in the MKV that are ending up out of sync when I run them through mkvtomp4. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, have you resolved it?

Here's the warning I'm seeing in one of the logs:
Converting video timecodes...
Warning! The number does not match the timecodes: 71100 <--> 70618
Converting timecodes completed.

and the resulting error:
Audio 1 error. Does not match time source (00:47:24.160) and result (00:47:04.895) files.

Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 22:35   #220  |  Link
jibjibjib

Thanks and feature requests

Thank you! Man I love this tool. I am in the process of converting all of my loose MKVs into ATV compliant M4Vs and everything is working great so far. You tool has been seriously helpful for this.

I do have a couple of feature requests though...

- When searching for a TV Show, take the Episode Name and apply that to both the Name field under the Video tab and the TV Episode ID field under the TV Show tab. Right now, that name only gets populated in the Name field under the Video tab, so I end up needing to copy the name from the video tab to the tv show tab for every single episode I convert. Otherwise the TV Episode ID is left empty by default. If I leave TV Episode ID empty in the tool, then iTunes just uses what looks like the file name instead, which doesn't look right. If you could make the episode title show up in both fields, then I wouldn't need to manually copy the text and the episode title would show up correctly in iTunes automatically with no additional work required.

- Give me an option to turn off chapter support globally. Right now when I source from a file that includes chapters, the tool attempts to bring those chapters into the final M4V, which appears to work and the chapters survive the conversion. However, every single file that I have converted with your tool that included chapters ended up with audio and video being wildly out of sync. I realized that this was only happening in files with chapters defined, and once I started unchecking the box next to the chapters I didn't have any more audio/video sync issues. Now, when I am adding multiple videos to your tool, I need to go through and disable chapters one by one. I don't use chapters anyway so I don't really need them, and that plus the problem with AV sync makes me want to just disable chapters globally. Please provide an option for doing that.

- (Less important, but would still be awesome) For TV Shows, automatically populate the Album field with the TV Show name (same text as TV Show field). I have a bunch of documentaries that I keep separate from my scripted TV shows, and I do that by marking them as podcasts. Podcasts show up similarly to TV Shows on the ATV, and since I can't create arbitrary "media kinds" beyond those included (TV, Movies, Podcasts, etc.) I need to co-opt one of the existing types. The difference is that the podcasts section groups shows by "album" instead of "TV show", and if album is not populated before changing the "media kind" to podcast, the video just disappears since it doesn't have the data populated that iTunes uses to display it in the list (album). If I set the album field to the same text as the tv show field before changing the media kind to podcast though, the video shows up properly under podcasts.

Thanks again for this awesome tool.
jibjibjib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mkv, mkvtomp4, mp4, repack, video