Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th October 2020, 01:16   #60401  |  Link
VBB

Anyone have an explanation as to why times increase by 2-4ms when switching from 112b to 113? Went back and forth several times, always with the same result. No settings were changed. Also switched decoders, to see if that made any difference. Nope. AVC/SDR went up by 4ms, and HEVC/HDR by 2. If I remember correctly, Mathias said 113 would increase performance, if anything. He probably meant with tone-mapping only, but even so, why would performance overall take a hit like that?
Old 25th October 2020, 01:29   #60402  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
I have noticed that the choice of upscaling for chroma affects the saturation very slightly, so maybe that's the reason why NGU AA looks more natural, because it doesn't look very saturated, but I think that using it the result is less saturated than the source. The differences are minimal anyway, and the end result will obviously still depend on the saturation settings.

@ LordX2

Yes, start testing with 125, but I think that projectors sometimes need values below 100, the latest betas allow them.
Where would I adjust saturation settings? And should I?

I just watched the original Harry Potter movie with the kids, and there were some scenes (especially the outdoor/bright scenes) that looked really saturated.

It was the 4K Remux, but I still have to wonder how much of it is the actual source/encode vs my own settings.
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2020, 01:55   #60403  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
Where would I adjust saturation settings? And should I?
No, I don't think you should make any changes to your saturation settings related to what I said.
Old 25th October 2020, 02:02   #60404  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Anyone have an explanation as to why times increase by 2-4ms when switching from 112b to 113? Went back and forth several times, always with the same result. No settings were changed. Also switched decoders, to see if that made any difference. Nope. AVC/SDR went up by 4ms, and HEVC/HDR by 2. If I remember correctly, Mathias said 113 would increase performance, if anything. He probably meant with tone-mapping only, but even so, why would performance overall take a hit like that?
It doesn't. It's actually reporting more accurately in 113. It is better performing even though the reporting shows a more accurate picture than older builds.
Old 25th October 2020, 02:04   #60405  |  Link
SamuriHL

@LordX2 are you using the HDR test builds? That information is key in helping you because a *LOT* has changed between the last official build and those test builds.
Old 25th October 2020, 02:31   #60406  |  Link
VBB

Thanks! Now I remember madshi said that. See, that's what happens when it's been almost a year since the last build
Old 25th October 2020, 02:35   #60407  |  Link
SamuriHL

I know, right! I am hoping he can kick the Envy out of the nest and work on that build he said was "coming soon" a few months ago. LMAO
Old 25th October 2020, 03:07   #60408  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
@LordX2 are you using the HDR test builds? That information is key in helping you because a *LOT* has changed between the last official build and those test builds.
Using 92.17 - its what came up at the top of the page. Is that way out of date or current?
Old 25th October 2020, 03:49   #60409  |  Link
Asmodian

92.17 is what I am using. There are beta builds for better HDR to SDR but it takes a lot of GPU power at the better settings. Up to you if you want to mess with it, I use passthrough for HDR so the changes are not relevant for me.
http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure113.zip
Old 25th October 2020, 03:51   #60410  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
92.17 is what I am using. There are beta builds for better HDR to SDR but it takes a lot of GPU power at the better settings. Up to you if you want to mess with it, I use passthrough for HDR so the changes are not relevant for me.
http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure113.zip
Didn't think about doing this - I have HDR available on the projector - is it optimal to pass it through?

Does this reduce a lot of rendering GPU draw? e.g. would I be able to have higher settings with the same hardware if I passthrough HDR?
Old 25th October 2020, 04:33   #60411  |  Link
LordX2

Just tried lowering the target NITS and output to HDR - STILL looks dim on my projector. Colors look so much better with NITS at 135 and output at SDR.

I am sure the beta builds may offer additional quality and tweaks, I just don't know if I can start all over and go down the rabbit hole again. hahah

Also, Back to the Future III looks way better than the first Harry Potter movie, and it's 10 years older. Probably just a shitty transfer for HP1 I guess.

MadVR seems to show the NITS that the movie was imaged with - for back to the future, it shows 1000 nits, for HP1 it was 500 something, and for Sicario (2018) it was over 8000 NITS! Sicario DID seem darker to watch, I wonder if that has something to do with it?
Old 25th October 2020, 05:06   #60412  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
...and for Sicario (2018) it was over 8000 NITS! Sicario DID seem darker to watch, I wonder if that has something to do with it?
Yes, uncheck "output video in HDR format", check "measure each frame peak luminance", and for movies like Sicario lower target peak nits to 100.
Old 25th October 2020, 14:24   #60413  |  Link
SamuriHL

The thing about the beta builds is that they have vastly improved tone mapping. Madshi introduced histogram dynamic tone mapping that essentially measures each frame in real time. It is incredibly impressive and I know most of the projector owners that are using it are extremely satisfied with the results they are getting.

But...

Being test builds they have a ton of settings that must be tweaked. This is because madshi is trying to find the best combination of settings for different things. And there are a few bugs in the latest test build that will hopefully get fixed up soon.

All that being said, several people have posted their settings that they use in the test build thread. Those would be a great place to start from if you really want to see what great tone mapping can do for your projector. As long as you remember it's a test build and the few limitations it has, you will be blown away by what it can do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 25th October 2020, 17:06   #60414  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
The thing about the beta builds is that they have vastly improved tone mapping. Madshi introduced histogram dynamic tone mapping that essentially measures each frame in real time. It is incredibly impressive and I know most of the projector owners that are using it are extremely satisfied with the results they are getting.

But...

Being test builds they have a ton of settings that must be tweaked. This is because madshi is trying to find the best combination of settings for different things. And there are a few bugs in the latest test build that will hopefully get fixed up soon.

All that being said, several people have posted their settings that they use in the test build thread. Those would be a great place to start from if you really want to see what great tone mapping can do for your projector. As long as you remember it's a test build and the few limitations it has, you will be blown away by what it can do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I may have to give it a try - do you have a link for the test build thread? Tried searching for it.

Also, if I am to try the beta build - should I completely uninstall the current build, or just download the beta and run the installer?
Old 25th October 2020, 17:34   #60415  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
I may have to give it a try - do you have a link for the test build thread? Tried searching for it.

Also, if I am to try the beta build - should I completely uninstall the current build, or just download the beta and run the installer?
You can replace the old files with the new ones.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2020, 18:10   #60416  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
I may have to give it a try - do you have a link for the test build thread? Tried searching for it

It was linked a few posts ago

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=60421
Old 25th October 2020, 18:12   #60417  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
The discussion thread, not the link for the download - got that already.

And is there a little help or guide to explain some of these new tweaks and features so I don't post unnecessary questions?
Old 25th October 2020, 18:45   #60418  |  Link
VBB

This is the thread over at AVS: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/imp...ector.2954506/
Old 25th October 2020, 19:14   #60419  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Not sure why anyone with a Zen 2 CPU would want or need to use hardware decoding... I am a firm believer in software decoding and if my ancient FX-8350 could just barely do HEVC 4K why wrestle with HW decoding?
Heat, noise, overall system responsiveness. Even if the CPU can do it, I'd rather do it with much less power and more speed by the GPU.
Old 25th October 2020, 19:36   #60420  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
You can replace the old files with the new ones.
Not a matter of "can". It's a requirement. The test builds are not a full build. It is required to replace the files from 0.9.17.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling