Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th April 2020, 03:41   #59401  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
Question for those who've used 3DLuts in madVR before:

If I have my display calibrated with an ICC profile (loaded via DisplayCAL), but wish to use a .3dlut entirely unrelated to that ICC profile with madVR, will checking "Disable GPU gamma ramps" suffice to keep the profile and LUT from interacting with each other? If not, will resetting the videocard gamma table on launching MadVR do the trick?
Yes "Disable GPU gamma ramps" will exclude the ICC profile from both the 3DLUT measurement with madTPG as well as using the 3DLUT in madVR after.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2020, 03:48   #59402  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, "Disable GPU gamma ramps" is the option you want. That means zero out any loaded ICC profile (set GPU LUT to a linear ramp). madVR will also reload the original values when it exits.

You can also attach a custom or linear ramp to the 3DLUT itself and madVR will load those values into the GPU whenever it uses that 3DLUT. This is usually done by default when creating a 3DLUT in DisplayCal (if that is what you are using) and is the most reliable option. When ramps are attached to the 3DLUT the "disable GPU gamma ramps" option does not do anything.

As a side note, windowed overlay (rendering -> general settings) bypasses the GPU hardware LUT. Without "Disable GPU gamma ramps" checked madVR will load the LUT values from the GPU and simulate the hardware gamma ramps but with it checked the values are simply ignored.

Last edited by Asmodian; 28th April 2020 at 03:51.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2020, 05:28   #59403  |  Link
Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Yes, "Disable GPU gamma ramps" is the option you want. That means zero out any loaded ICC profile (set GPU LUT to a linear ramp). madVR will also reload the original values when it exits.

You can also attach a custom or linear ramp to the 3DLUT itself and madVR will load those values into the GPU whenever it uses that 3DLUT. This is usually done by default when creating a 3DLUT in DisplayCal (if that is what you are using) and is the most reliable option. When ramps are attached to the 3DLUT the "disable GPU gamma ramps" option does not do anything.

As a side note, windowed overlay (rendering -> general settings) bypasses the GPU hardware LUT. Without "Disable GPU gamma ramps" checked madVR will load the LUT values from the GPU and simulate the hardware gamma ramps but with it checked the values are simply ignored.
The overlay mode sounds nice, but has a strobing/flickering black line in the middle of the screen when I pause playback. Is there anything to be done about that, aside from just using a different presentation mode?
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2020, 07:00   #59404  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Question for those who've used 3DLuts in madVR before:

If I have my display calibrated with an ICC profile (loaded via DisplayCAL), but wish to use a .3dlut entirely unrelated to that ICC profile with madVR, will checking "Disable GPU gamma ramps" suffice to keep the profile and LUT from interacting with each other? If not, will resetting the videocard gamma table on launching MadVR do the trick?
you don't need to, madvr will do it automatically if the dispcal 3dlut has the vcgt box ticked when you create it.

Normally, if the native tone curve and white point of your display is very well behaved, you can just run the default 3dlut profiling, where it sets whitepoint and gamma to "as-measured" in the calibration section.

However, if it's not well behaved, in these cases, it's better to have it meter out the curve and the white point first in the calibration.

There also used to be a bug where if you set the white point only and not the curve, it won't apply either. IDK if this was fixed.

If you have access to 11point rgb balance adjustment on your tv, I recommend using HCFR to set that up as tight as you can before using displaycal. Make sure you do all this in Native Gamut mode.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 28th April 2020 at 07:21.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2020, 10:26   #59405  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar73 View Post
I have an old OLED 4K HDR TV (LG 55C6) and no video projector. I watch a few 4K HDR HEVC mkv video files, but mostly 1080p non HDR x264 files. I am using HDR passthrough in Madvr settings until now.

1/ Is HDR tone mapping made only for video projector to simulate HDR ?
2/ For 4K HDR TV, can it render better dynamic color for HDR video files better than HDR passthrough settings ?
3/ or can it simulate HDR on HDR TV for non HDR 1080p video files ?
1: no
2: yes (with latest betas)
3: no
Old 28th April 2020, 23:41   #59406  |  Link
Furgiuele

Hi, I'm Italian, sorry for my bad english.
I've an htpc with Nvidia RTX 2060 gpu and I use Jriver MP26 with last Madvr release (113) for 2160 upscaling, and hdr to sdr tone mapping for my Sony vpl-vw870es projector.
I've a lot of blu ray discs ripped of concerts and movies. But I can't play well 3 concerts because the source frame rate is 29.970, but Madvr set display mode on 23.980 fps.
I try everything! I create a Profile Group with two display modes, with this rule: if (srcFps > 25) "Profile 1" else "Profile 2"; profile 1 is with display modes 2160p50, 59 and 60, profile 2 is with 2160p23, 24, 25 and 30.
But it doesn't work! Madvr set always that 3 concerts on 23.980 fps, with a lot of dropped frames and stuttering.
The only way to play at the right frame rate is erasing low frame rates in display modes, but then I can't see well all my 23.976 fps videos!
Maybe the issue depends from soft telecine or uncorrect fps data from the ripped files.
Can someone help me? There's a way to force Madvr to set 29.970 (or 59...) fps for that videos?
Many thanks in advance.
Furgiuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 00:31   #59407  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furgiuele View Post
Hi, I'm Italian, sorry for my bad english.
I've an htpc with Nvidia RTX 2060 gpu and I use Jriver MP26 with last Madvr release (113) for 2160 upscaling, and hdr to sdr tone mapping for my Sony vpl-vw870es projector.
I've a lot of blu ray discs ripped of concerts and movies. But I can't play well 3 concerts because the source frame rate is 29.970, but Madvr set display mode on 23.980 fps.
I try everything! I create a Profile Group with two display modes, with this rule: if (srcFps > 25) "Profile 1" else "Profile 2"; profile 1 is with display modes 2160p50, 59 and 60, profile 2 is with 2160p23, 24, 25 and 30.
But it doesn't work! Madvr set always that 3 concerts on 23.980 fps, with a lot of dropped frames and stuttering.
The only way to play at the right frame rate is erasing low frame rates in display modes, but then I can't see well all my 23.976 fps videos!
Maybe the issue depends from soft telecine or uncorrect fps data from the ripped files.
Can someone help me? There's a way to force Madvr to set 29.970 (or 59...) fps for that videos?
Many thanks in advance.
Have you tried setting the display switch to:
2160p25, 2160p59, etc?

You list it, but it isn’t the right format, as far as I know.

Edit:
I read your post again. If above doesn’t fix your issue:

23.980 sounds like the composition rate.

My htpc does this too. It may be related to your monitor/tv/projector.

I ended up turning display switched off and always use 60hz in the OS/Nvidia control panel.

Then in Madvr I turned on smooth motion to remove the judder.

Setup: Denon x4300h - JVC LX-UH1 Projector - 100" SnapAV Dragonfly Acoustic Screen

Last edited by Cowboydude99; 29th April 2020 at 01:37. Reason: Re-read the post.
Cowboydude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 01:22   #59408  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
The overlay mode sounds nice, but has a strobing/flickering black line in the middle of the screen when I pause playback. Is there anything to be done about that, aside from just using a different presentation mode?
If you create an empty file or directory called "DontRenderAfterStop" it might solve it. Another option that might help is "KeepLastFrameOnStop".

You can see the full list of options (if anyone knows one I am missing please tell me!) in the third post of the thread in my signature.
Old 29th April 2020, 01:40   #59409  |  Link
huhn

i'm not going to answer that question two times.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 03:43   #59410  |  Link
Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
However, if it's not well behaved, in these cases, it's better to have it meter out the curve and the white point first in the calibration.
Thanks, this was really helpful. I wasn't setting a curve, and apparently really needed to.

Quote:
If you create an empty file or directory called "DontRenderAfterStop" it might solve it. Another option that might help is "KeepLastFrameOnStop".

You can see the full list of options (if anyone knows one I am missing please tell me!) in the third post of the thread in my signature.
I really didn't think something like this would've been addressed in that thread, sorry for not reading it a bit more closely before asking.

Unfortunately the problem persists, but at least the overlay mode doesn't seem to be necessary for my usage.

(Sadly "overlay planes" appear to be a deprecated/legacy feature in modern Direct3d.)
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 04:33   #59411  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Thanks, this was really helpful. I wasn't setting a curve, and apparently really needed to.
Try using HCFR on the 11point gamma settings on your tv, that really helps.

If you don't have 11 point gamma, at least run the greyscale verification check (use simulated profile is enough), to gauge the tone behavior of the different modes of your tv/monitor.

The LESS work the software correction system has to do on the native response, the better.
Old 29th April 2020, 10:39   #59412  |  Link
Furgiuele

Many thanks Asmodian!

Quote:

I created a directory named frameRate=29p deint=Off and I dragged the 3 videos inside. Now they work perfectly!
Furgiuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 17:21   #59413  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Hi there. I was reading the madvr options explained post. Great info in there!

I had a question because I'm using D3D11 full screen exclusive mode.

The post says:
the native display bitdepth is: [8 bit] This is the bit depth madVR will dither to. madVR offers very high quality dithering so if you are using a low bit depth display (e.g. a 6-bit TN) you may get better quality when setting this to 6-bit. Due to limited support for high bit depths, madVR dithers to 8-bit even when this is set to 9 or 10-bit except when using D3D11 'full screen exclusive'

When using D3D11 FSE, does it use 10-bit dithering if I set the bit depth to 10-bit?

I have my NVCP set to RGB 8b FULL = 60hz.

Setup: Denon x4300h - JVC LX-UH1 Projector - 100" SnapAV Dragonfly Acoustic Screen
Old 29th April 2020, 20:16   #59414  |  Link
huhn

new version that may notice this may stop using 10 bit in this case because it's pointless.

for your use case you should set it to 8 bit and there is no need for FSE but if you don't have issues with FSE leave it as it is.
Old 29th April 2020, 21:27   #59415  |  Link
Cowboydude99

OK thanks!

I created profile groups for the display: calibration, display modes, color & gamma, hdr.

Is it proper to set calibration of the display to the source material or would you just set it to BT2020 for all content?
For example, 1080p BD rips -> REC 709
UDH -> BT2020

I have been playing around with the color (ColorMunki arriving next week).

Old 29th April 2020, 21:30   #59416  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboydude99 View Post
When using D3D11 FSE, does it use 10-bit dithering if I set the bit depth to 10-bit?

I have my NVCP set to RGB 8b FULL = 60hz.
You cut off the paragraph, I do mention that 10 bit works in DX11 full screen windowed as well.

Yes, madVR always dithers from its internal 16 bit data to the output bitdepth. Dithering does not have a bitdepth, it is a technique used to more accurately covert to a lower bitdepth.

Never set madVR to a higher bitdepth than your GPU, your GPU dithers again so you get extra dithering noise. This is better than not dithering at either step but it is best to only convert bit depths once, from madVR's 16 bits to whatever is sent to the screen.

Last edited by Asmodian; 29th April 2020 at 23:50.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 21:33   #59417  |  Link
huhn

well that's going to be fun.

you set your calibration to what your display is "calibrated" the rest is done by madVr so what ever you are currently doing is well questionable.

i mean for what do you need a profile for HDR. hdr is only used for hdr files so it doesn't effect other that means there is no obvious need for a profile. same for display modes, color gamma...
Old 29th April 2020, 23:42   #59418  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
well that's going to be fun.

you set your calibration to what your display is "calibrated" the rest is done by madVr so what ever you are currently doing is well questionable.

i mean for what do you need a profile for HDR. hdr is only used for hdr files so it doesn't effect other that means there is no obvious need for a profile. same for display modes, color gamma...
I see your point.

When I set the calibration to bt2020 and then to 709, it does look different.

I have not actually calibrated yet, but should be doing that next week.

I will revert to no profiles.

Old 30th April 2020, 17:15   #59419  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboydude99 View Post
I have not actually calibrated yet, but should be doing that next week.

I will revert to no profiles.
What huhn is saying is, right now, switching those settings _assuming_ the display is calibrated to different color spaces will affect color saturations incorrectly.

Your projector as is, is running a rec709 space natively, and it's expecting rgb444 0-255 output from the PC.

If you tell madvr that your display is rec2020, it still assumes rgb444 0-255, so that compresses the saturation inwards.

This difference is not meaningful, because your projector is not rec2020, and isn't expecting rec2020. Even if it is expecting and got rec2020 output from the PC, the projector still only has rec709. Out of gamut will either clip or it will desaturate the edge-colors for perceptual uniformity.

You ordered the "colormunki display " right ? the one that looks like the i1display pro, except black ?

Last edited by tp4tissue; 30th April 2020 at 17:18.
Old 30th April 2020, 21:17   #59420  |  Link
tp4tissue

Guys, what is the profile select rule variable/syntax for differentiating between rec2020 and dcip3 primaries to automatically change 3dlut selection ?

If you plugin a rec2020 lut, it always selects that even if the file indicates dcip3 primaries ?

I've been using manual because there arn't that many rec2020 primary releases, but there has been some recently.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 30th April 2020 at 21:19.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling