Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th September 2020, 22:38   #60201  |  Link
VBB

That's why I said "future-proof"

But yeah, sadly enough, budget is now priced at $399. I don't remember paying anywhere close to that for my 960 back then.
Old 21st September 2020, 02:27   #60202  |  Link
SamuriHL

Future proof...is that like "you have to travel to the distant future to proof one?" sigh You'll be waiting a LONG time. If you think the scalping was bad on the 700 dollar high end card, just wait til the 3060 and 3070 are unleashed. The idea that nVidia is going to learn anything from last week's failure is laughable at best.
Old 21st September 2020, 04:30   #60203  |  Link
scott1256ca

Thanks people. Gives me a place to start.
Do you think this would do it?
GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER Overclocked 4GB
the 12G model looks to be about the same performance wise as as a 1060 6G according to userbenchmarks, but for my purposes I don't know how much the loss of the 8G would hurt.
scott1256ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2020, 05:10   #60204  |  Link
CZ Eddie

What do you guys think the cheapest used Nvidia card is that will run 1080i and 720P upscaled with medium NGU settings on a 1080P TV?
It won't ever be doing 480P or 1080P or 4K. Only 720P/1080i OTA TV (my area won't get ATSC 3.0 for a while yet).

I read that I'd want the 10XX series or newer to get the hardware decoder for HEVC.
But I don't think that is necessary since this installation will only be for watching live OTA TV in 1080i and 720P on a 1080P TV.

I have also read that MadVR likes Cuda Cores, so I put together a list of ~$80-$150 video cards and how they ranked for cuda cores.
I added my HTPC card and a couple of more expensive GPU's just to see how the lower cards stacked up against them.

Am I wrong to think the 780ti could be the best <$100 budget card for my needs?

CZ Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2020, 09:25   #60205  |  Link
huhn

a 1060 can do that with ease. i don't have one around but a 960 should be fine too for this task both cards are available in relative high numbers.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2020, 09:52   #60206  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

A 780 Ti is frankly too old, you miss out on practically all recent video improvements, and cuda cores isn't the only metric.
I would agree that a 960 is probably a good choice, a 4GB model if possible. You can even get 1050 Tis for around 100 new here, so a used 1060 or such below 100 should be possible as well.
Old 21st September 2020, 14:01   #60207  |  Link
CZ Eddie

Thanks, guys!
Old 21st September 2020, 19:22   #60208  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

GTX 1060 6GB, not the 3GB version.
Old 21st September 2020, 19:42   #60209  |  Link
chros

Yes, and if you can wait couple of months until the new gen mid range will be released then they will be even cheaper.
Old 22nd September 2020, 00:46   #60210  |  Link
CZ Eddie

I need a card now because this is for my NCAA football watching setup out in the garage, which handles the whole-house audio & video also.
Ended up buying a PNY GTX 1060 6GB for $140.
More than I wanted to spend, but it was the best deal I could find on eBay at that moment.
The 960's were about $110 but I figured it was worth it to spend $30 more on a 1060 to get HEVC decoding in case I need it for next year when ATSC 3.0 (4K OTA) hits my area.

Now I can button up the garage build by this weekend and go back to working on more productive projects.

hook 'em horns!

Last edited by CZ Eddie; 22nd September 2020 at 00:50.
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:42   #60211  |  Link
Ilovetv9

Rookie here, need some help. I'm trying to watch some .mpg files that are "Top Field First" "interlaced video" according to mediainfo. When watching those same files in vlc and turning on deinterlace, vlc properly deinterlaces the video and it plays very smooth like it should. But when using mpc-be+madvr+lav filters it does not deinterlace properly. I have my settings set up like this - mpc-be video decoder configuration scan type = progressive. In lav filters settings - deinterlacing mode = disabled (progressive). In madvr settings - I turn on deinterlace film mode or video mode, neither does any deinterlacing. And if I try to use mpc-be deinterlacer or lav filters deinterlacer, both fail at deinterlacing the video, just like madvr is. What am I doing wrong? VLC does it properly, but I prefer to use mpc-be+madvr+lav filters because it plays all videos in better quality. How can I deinterlace these .mpg video files properly with mpc-be+madvr+lav filters? Please and thanks for any help.
Ilovetv9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2020, 02:53   #60212  |  Link
Ilovetv9

Doing a little more testing with mpc-hc. I realized, when I disable madvr and use the system default, then the deinterlacing works like it should. But when I enable madvr and try to deinterlace, it will not deinterlace. Why is this happening?
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:43   #60213  |  Link
VBB

You're probably using DXVA2 or D3D11 native GPU decoding. Switch to copy-back in LAV filters, and it should work.
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:48   #60214  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetv9 View Post
I'm trying to watch some .mpg files that are "Top Field First" "interlaced video" according to mediainfo.
Can you give more information on the source? DVD, camcorder, TV recording? This is 25 fps, right?
Quote:
I have my settings set up like this - mpc-be video decoder configuration scan type = progressive. In lav filters settings - deinterlacing mode = disabled (progressive).
Well this is wrong because it sends the frames to the render as progressive, i.e. not interlaced, so madVR won't even try to deinterlace because the decoder tells it doesn't have to.
Set Deinterlacing Mode/scan type to Auto, choose DXVA2 copyback as decoder (just to be sure), and disable LAV software deinterlacing.
Quote:
In madvr settings - I turn on deinterlace film mode or video mode, neither does any deinterlacing.
Can you confirm you're seeing interlacing (combing) artifacts in the scenario where you're saying it doesn't work?
In madVR settings, check "automatically activate deinterlacing when needed", uncheck "disable automatic source type detection" (i.e. the options "force film/video mode" should be greyed out. Then it should deinterlace. If it still doesn't, please link to a screenshot of the madVR OSD during playback (Ctrl+J), post it to an image hosting site.
Old 23rd September 2020, 21:37   #60215  |  Link
Ilovetv9

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Can you give more information on the source? DVD, camcorder, TV recording? This is 25 fps, right?Well this is wrong because it sends the frames to the render as progressive, i.e. not interlaced, so madVR won't even try to deinterlace because the decoder tells it doesn't have to.
Set Deinterlacing Mode/scan type to Auto, choose DXVA2 copyback as decoder (just to be sure), and disable LAV software deinterlacing.Can you confirm you're seeing interlacing (combing) artifacts in the scenario where you're saying it doesn't work?
In madVR settings, check "automatically activate deinterlacing when needed", uncheck "disable automatic source type detection" (i.e. the options "force film/video mode" should be greyed out. Then it should deinterlace. If it still doesn't, please link to a screenshot of the madVR OSD during playback (Ctrl+J), post it to an image hosting site.
Hey. Thanks so much for the help. Here is a link to a .mpg file that didn't deinterlace properly for me with madvr+lav filters enabled in mpc-be.

Link - https://archive.org/download/the-all...20-%201x01.mpg

In lav filters settings I changed what you said to - Deinterlacing Mode/scan type to Auto, and hardware decoder to use - DXVA2 copyback. And that did fix my problem and it deinterlaced when I enabled madvr deinterlacer video mode.

About 50% of interlaced videos will properly deinterlace for me when using mpc-be+madvr+lav filters, but some (like the one I posted) does not deinterlace. I thought I remember reading that you are not supposed to use more than 1 deinterlacer when using mpc-be+madvr+lav filters becuase that is redundant and will worsen the quality as you are only supposed to use 1 deinterlacer to keep maximum quality. Is that wrong and I need to always use lav filters deinterlacer and madvr deinterlacer at the same time? Do I always have to use one of the hardware decoders in lav filters settings to deinterlace these types of videos properly? Next to hardware decoder setting there are resolutions sd hd. Hd was checked automatically, should I also check sd for the best possible quality? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure I'm maintaining highest possible quality when using mpc-be+madvr+lav filters and deinterlacing.
Old 24th September 2020, 19:02   #60216  |  Link
huhn

the trick is simple you make sure that lavfilter settings are left at default so it can say "hey look madVR this file is interlaced"
this works as long as d3d11 native is not used madVR will fully automatically deint every video that is flagged as interlaced.

lavfilter only deint when you actives one of the present deint option and is capable of doing so (doesn't work with native decoder) and if lavfilter is using deint madVR isn't going to deint because it will tell madVR that the file is progressive.
as long as you are not changing the deint settings on the left.
it's not applied 2 times.

edit: you don't use an AMD card by any chance aren't you?

Last edited by huhn; 24th September 2020 at 19:40.
Old 24th September 2020, 20:33   #60217  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetv9 View Post
About 50% of interlaced videos will properly deinterlace for me when using mpc-be+madvr+lav filters, but some (like the one I posted) does not deinterlace.
I've looked at that file with DXVA deinterlacing on both a GeForce and a Radeon and it seems like it's mixed material, i.e. some parts are sourced from film and others from video, so it cannot be deinterlaced all the time as it's not video all the time. What often happened in the old days was outside scenes were shot on film, and inside scenes were shot on video. If you look for example at around 12:00 when it transitions from a street scene to a studio scene, the scene in the street is using 2:2 film cadence, while the studio scene is using 50i video (if you pause in MPC and use Ctrl+right key you can frame-skip and see the individual frames). If you disable deinterlacing (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+D until you see it says off), you can see the scene shot outside still has clear motion (well, as clear as a composite video recording from that time can look anyway ), while the following scene in the studio suddenly has a load of combing artifacts on motion.
Quote:
I thought I remember reading that you are not supposed to use more than 1 deinterlacer when using mpc-be+madvr+lav filters becuase that is redundant and will worsen the quality as you are only supposed to use 1 deinterlacer to keep maximum quality. Is that wrong and I need to always use lav filters deinterlacer and madvr deinterlacer at the same time?
As huhn explained, you can't deinterlace an image two times, so there's no risk. However, your quality (and performance) will be determined by the deinterlacer that runs first, so the one in the decoder if it can run. The best way is usually to let madVR handle it, so not enable deinterlacing in LAV.
Quote:
Do I always have to use one of the hardware decoders in lav filters settings to deinterlace these types of videos properly?
Not necessarily, you can also use software decoding and madVR will deinterlace the image using hardware as long as you set the Deinterlacing Mode setting to Auto.
To check that madVR is deinterlacing, press Ctrl+J to bring up the OSD and find the line that says "deinterlacing" (it should be just above the queue stats): it should say "on (says upstream)".
Quote:
Next to hardware decoder setting there are resolutions sd hd. Hd was checked automatically, should I also check sd for the best possible quality?
That doesn't control deinterlacing, only if hardware decode is used for specific resolutions. You can check SD if you want, it shouldn't cause problems but SD video is very easy to decode by the CPU especially MPEG2, so it wouldn't make a lot of difference in performance.
Old 24th September 2020, 21:24   #60218  |  Link
Ilovetv9

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
edit: you don't use an AMD card by any chance aren't you?
Yes. My computer's video card is a - amd radeon hd 8330. (super old I know I need to upgrade lol)

But thank you very much huhn & el Filou for the help and advice. I will test and tweak the different settings you guys suggested. I am very grateful. And super happy to finally be able to watch old analog interlaced videos in the best possible quality on my computer.
Old 24th September 2020, 22:03   #60219  |  Link
huhn

this old card with relative old driver should have one of the best hardware deinterlacer out there.
Old 27th September 2020, 18:31   #60220  |  Link
CZ Eddie

Can anyone help for my broadcast TV setup?

Which is the best Lav video setting for watching nothing but 720P and 1080i broadcast TV on a 1080P TV with an older GTX 1060 GPU on an 8GB 3Ghz quad-core system?

I thought it might be D3D11, but then I read that D3D11 Native does not support interlacing.
And 1080i is most of what I'd be watching on this particular setup.

Also, what are some of the better MadVR settings to try for cleaning up broadcast TV artifacts and make things look more clear?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling