Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 17th July 2010, 18:10   #201  |  Link
b66pak

@Mosu one request: can you add the audio delay in a .mkv (if any) to the report obtained with:

Code:
mkvmerge -i anyfile.mkv
_
Old 17th July 2010, 18:18   #202  |  Link
jasonwc

I noticed that when MKVMerge is used to mux a FLAC track into an MKV, it strips out the bitrate metadata, and thus cannot show the bitrate or size of the FLAC track within a MKV container. A FLAC track produced with eac3to, for example, contains bitrate information, but after being muxed into an MKV container, merely displays as "Variable" within Mediainfo.

In addition, no percentage information is given for VC-1 or AVC streams from most Blu-Ray sources. I assume this is because no metadata is included within the m2ts, however, MKVMerge should be able to figure out the bitrate of the video stream by calculating the filesize - overhead.

One more question - how much space is saved by the use of header compression for AC3 and DTS streams, on average?
Old 17th July 2010, 18:48   #203  |  Link
LeMoi

Calculating video bitrate is not very reliable. You should use MPEG File Bitrate Viewer.
Old 17th July 2010, 20:19   #204  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc View Post
I noticed that when MKVMerge is used to mux a FLAC track into an MKV, it strips out the bitrate metadata
That's incorrect. mkvmerge keeps all FLAC blocks including FLAC's metadata blocks.

Quote:
but after being muxed into an MKV container, merely displays as "Variable" within Mediainfo.
That's due to a combination of the Matroska container not having a bitrate header field and Mediainfo not looking into the FLAC stream inside the Matroska container.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 17th July 2010, 20:20   #205  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by b66pak View Post
@Mosu one request: can you add the audio delay in a .mkv (if any) to the report obtained with:

Code:
mkvmerge -i anyfile.mkv
_
No, sorry. mkvmerge does not scan the input files further than the header fields for the output of "-i", and it would have to in order to be able to display that piece of information. You can calculate that value from the output of mkvinfo.

Old 18th July 2010, 00:05   #206  |  Link
jasonwc

Mosu,

I think I have discovered an odd bug, and I can't tell if the problem is with MKVMerge or Haali's Matroska splitter. I have been able to reproduce the issue with MKVMerge 4.0, 4.1.0, and 4.1.1.

Issue: When an MKV contains an AVC and FLAC 1.0 track, it always stalls when played back when using the Haali Matroska splitter. It simply sits at the first frame and shows 1 frame drawn with a framerate of 0.0. The same MKV will playback using MPC-HC's internal matroska splitter.

To reproduce: Create an MKV with a AVC and FLAC 1.0 track.

Note: If I remove the FLAC 1.0 track, the video plays fine. I also haven't had any issues with FLAC 5.1 or 7.1 tracks. I think it's an issue with mono FLAC audio. I have also tested with and without the AC3 commentary tracks and PGS subs. The only factor that matters is the inclusion of a FLAC 1.0 track.

I have provided two samples which exhibit the issue, one from Everlasting Moments (2008) and another from Close-Up (1990). Both are small samples from a Blu-Ray remux. The original BD contained LPCM 1.0 tracks which were dithered to 16 bit, and encoded in FLAC.

The problem doesn't seem to affect all AVC + FLAC 1.0 MKVs. "M" (1931) fits this pattern yet doesn't have the problem. I used identical eac3to settings to demux, and verified that it still works when I create the MKV with MKVMerge 4.1.1. What's really odd is that all three films were produced by Criterion.

I have therefore provided a sample from M, which does work in Haali. Perhaps this will allow you to figure out why the others don't work:

Everlasting Moments Sample (Doesn't Work): http://www.mediafire.com/?htglad3iozbdt2d

Close-Up Sample (Doesn't Work): http://www.mediafire.com/?goulfu8ylc6ycds

'M' (1931) Sample (Does Work): http://www.mediafire.com/?1b2owc9f19mxsz5

Tested with MPC-HC SVN rev. 2099, Haali Splitter 05/20/2010, Mediaportal RC6 (uses Haali). Same behavior in each.

EDIT: Just realized that Everlasting Moments actually has a 5.1 track, yet it has the same behavior. I'm not sure what's going on as I have remuxed dozens of BDs and these are the only problematic ones.

FIXED: The problem was with the ffdshow FLAC decoder. Works with MPC-HC's internal FLAC decoder as well as madFLAC. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by jasonwc; 18th July 2010 at 00:48.
Old 18th July 2010, 00:52   #207  |  Link
Rodger

Hy guys.

I donīt know what it is...but since updating to the current version the created mkv-files somehow are screwed up.

I found out because my Samsung TV suddenly didnīt play any audio in the newly created mkvs. Just to let you know....the video stream is played correctly. Older ones do play perfect as before.

I tried out some settings but I canīt get to work.
PLUS i just found out, that itīs not only my TV having problems with the files, but tsmuxer too!!!
"Some tracks not recognized....." comes with no recognized audio streams.

Anybody with a solution for this problem?
Old 18th July 2010, 00:53   #208  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yes, if you'd have read this thread it has been discussed to death. You need to turn compression to NO on the extended tab for your audio track. And no, Mosu won't make that the default or give you a way to set that as default.
Old 18th July 2010, 01:21   #209  |  Link
Rodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Yes, if you'd have read this thread it has been discussed to death. You need to turn compression to NO on the extended tab for your audio track. And no, Mosu won't make that the default or give you a way to set that as default.
Sorry Mate. 0 Points for that answer. Doesnīt work.
And by the way...I found that tip before you posted it.

EDIT: I do have to correct. Playback on my SamsungTV does work now again, but tsmuxer still does not recognize the audio stream. THAT is still a HUGE disadvantage to me.

Last edited by Rodger; 18th July 2010 at 01:24.
Old 18th July 2010, 01:28   #210  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post

EDIT: I do have to correct. Playback on my SamsungTV does work now again, but tsmuxer still does not recognize the audio stream. THAT is still a HUGE disadvantage to me.
And....you documented that in your original post that you set that? Right, I know, we're all supposed to be mind readers as to what you've done and haven't done to fix the problem. Enough guessing games from me then.
Old 18th July 2010, 01:47   #211  |  Link
jasonwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post

I just tested one of the remuxes I made with MKVMerge 4.1.1. It added an AC3 stream to tsMuxer without issue, despite the fact that header compression was used. It was able to mux to TS as well. No errors.

When did your problem start and what was the last working version?
Old 18th July 2010, 10:15   #212  |  Link
Rodger

I can pinpoint it to a certain Date. It was the 3rd of july.
I didīt update for quite a while before that. I think I do recall I updated from Version 3.4.

I do confirm, that I just have testet positively with a file, which wasn recognized fully by tsmuxer before.
Demuxed and remuxed it WITH setting to no compression.
NOW tsmuxer does find the fullHD AVC and the DTS-HD Stream inside.

That cuts my problem to my DVBS2-Recordings from a Vantage 7100s (SkyHD).
This is where I recognized the problem at first.

I currently have no such recordings at hand so I canīt test it right now. But surely will as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for your help so far.
Old 18th July 2010, 10:31   #213  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
I created a patch to fix the problem, but it hasn't been applied yet. MPC Ticket 536
Hi,
Aleksoid has reply on ticket and doesn't reproduce this issue, so it's seems all is ok

Could you post sample and or describe how you produce this issue ?

Thanks,
Sebastiii.
Old 18th July 2010, 12:32   #214  |  Link
sneaker_ger

The problem only appears on subtitle tracks that are set to "eng" using mkvmerge >= 4.0.0 (thus do not have a track language element). All other combinations work fine.
Old 18th July 2010, 15:14   #215  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
I think that you should disable audio compression by default. It only causes more confusion. You've added that feature too late
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Sorry, but I won't. Users have several options (some better suited than others for different kinds of users): keep using an earlier version; force compression off; use the command line which makes forcing easier; get the player vendors to support this feature that's been part of the specifications for eight years now.
Quote:
mkvtoolnix is not (only) about user requests, it's also (or even more so) about pushing Matroska features.
In every car I had since I got my driving license several decades ago, there was an electric cigarette lighter receptacle. It's a built-in feature, a part of the specs of the car.
But I'm a non smoker. So here comes the question: should I start to smoke because this lighter is available so I MUST use it ? Or is it useless ?

Header compression is a part of the Matroska specs, you want to support it, perfect, no problem.
But why do you want to FORCE people to use it by default since it's a pretty useless feature that saves only few bytes. If it was about MB I could understand, but bytes !?
And if we could at least save the default configuration we want to use for this option, but no we can't and we have to go through menus to set if off on every mux.
Old 18th July 2010, 16:24   #216  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Given the radical changes with these new MKVmerge releases, how about closing this 3 and a half year old thread and creating a new "mkvtoolnix 4.x.x" thread from post 1611 onwards?
Old 18th July 2010, 16:54   #217  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Given the radical changes with these new MKVmerge releases, how about closing this 3 and a half year old thread and creating a new "mkvtoolnix 4.x.x" thread from post 1611 onwards?
Not a bad idea. I've asked Foxyshadis to do it.

Old 18th July 2010, 23:17   #218  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Not a bad idea. I've asked Foxyshadis to do it.
I do have them... from time to time

EDIT: And for all those interested. The old thread can be found here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120648

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 18th July 2010 at 23:19.
Old 19th July 2010, 06:44   #219  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

I think there might be a bug with keeping the <eng> language ID of tracks when importing older matroska files.

I remuxed a couple of older matroska files with 4.1.1 and noticed that the <english> language ID always gets stripped from the outcoming file. Even if it is set correctly in mmg. This occurs for all kinds of tracks (subs, audio, video). However, the <german> language ID of any track is been taken over to the final file, as it should. At the moment I have to reopen those files with the Header Editor and replace the "undetermined" values of the language IDs manually.

Pardon me, if this has been reported before.

EDIT: Header Editor also hangs up after editing 2 or 3 files. The open file dialogue box does not appear anymore and the right window is empty even if a file is still opened:

Last edited by LeXXuz; 19th July 2010 at 06:58.
Old 19th July 2010, 07:32   #220  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXXuz View Post
I think there might be a bug with keeping the <eng> language ID of tracks when importing older matroska files.
Yes, this has been discussed a lot after the release of v4.0.0. Please read this FAQ entry for an explanation: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...default_values

Quote:
EDIT: Header Editor also hangs up after editing 2 or 3 files. The open file dialogue box does not appear anymore and the right window is empty even if a file is still opened:
This seems to a bug. I'll take a look when I find the time (meaning hopefully in the next couple of weeks).

Closed Thread