Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st May 2011, 16:48   #1  |  Link
josk

on-the-fly AC3 encoding for 6 channel AAC files (mplayer)

My old Yamaha receiver is not able to play 6 channel AAC but just AC3 or DTS audio. So I always on-the-fly encode those 6ch AAC audio tracks to AC3 audio tracks using mplayer-mt (debian).

I just updated mine Debian Lenny to Debian Squeeze and now I have channel mapping issue. AC3/DTS files plays on the correct speakers. So my speaker setting should be ok. When I try to play video file that contains 6ch AAC audio track that is on-the-fly encoded to AC3 audio --> I hear those test sounds on the wrong speakers. Example CENTER is REAR RIGHT etc... Dolby Digital icon lights up always on my receievr so I know that AC3 transcoding is not the problem.

Here is command line example how you can on-the-fly encode multichannel AAC audio track to AC3 track.

mplayer-mt -ao alsa -ac hwdts, -ac hwac3, -af channels=6,lavcac3enc=1:640:3 6ch_aac.mp4

I have put those config options to .mplayer/config file:
Code:
# Device and passthrough
#=====================
ao=alsa:device=hw=0.1
#For both AC-3 and DTS passthroug, use -afm hwac3
afm=hwac3,
channels=6
#lavcac3enc[=tospdif[:bitrate[:minchn]]]
af=scaletempo,lavcac3enc=1:640:3
So I just need to use following command:

mplayer-mt movie_name.avi/mkv/mp4

Test videos:

6ch aac test video: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26249587/6ch_aac.mp4
6ch ac3 test video: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26249587/6ch_ac3.avi

I tried to remap those channels but I always lost one channel (Surround Left).
mplayer-mt -ac hwdts,hwac3, -channels 6 -af channels=6:6:0:0:1:2:4:1:3:4:5:3:2:2,lavcac3enc=1:640 6ch_aac.mp4

Now I don’t know hove to solve this problem. I hope someone of you have some tips for me because it worked that way in Debian Lenny and I don't know why those channels are now mapped to the wrong speakers. Also I only have one 6ch AAC test video and I want to be sure that it contains those channels in right order. Can someone test it? If someone have some other AAC surround test files, please, let me know.

-josk

Last edited by josk; 1st May 2011 at 16:54.
josk is offline   Reply With Quote