Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old Yesterday, 17:25   #1  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

An easy way to use Reshade in MPC-HC [GUIDE]

I have found an easy way to use Reshade in MPC-HC that does not require messing about with other injection tools.

The simple trick is just to use the madVR renderer in MPC-HC.

Download links :

MPC-HC - https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases
madVR - http://madvr.com/
Reshade - https://reshade.me/

1) Install Reshade to the path of the MPC-HC exe.
Choose DirectX 9 when it asks you what API to use.

2) Make sure MPC-HC is set to use madVR.
View > Options > Playback > Output > DirectShow Video = madVR

This will take effect when you restart MPC-HC.

The Reshade message should now appear when you start MPC-HC so you know it's working.

If you installed MPC-HC into program files however Reshade will not have write access to that folder and cannot save it's settings.

You can fix this by rightclicking the folder MPC-HC is in and going Properties > Security > Edit > Click Users > Check off Allow Full Control -> Click OK

You have now given the user accounts full file access in that folder which means that Reshade that runs under your user account can now save it's settings.

The default menu button for Reshade is the Home button but since that conflicts with a hotkey in MPC-HC I suggest you immediately change that. I use Numpad /

Doublepress Home (press Home twice fast) to first trigger the MPC-HC then trigger the Reshade menu (this will be the only time you need to do this) and go to Settings and set another menu hotkey for Reshade.

You can now apply almost the entire library of Reshade effects to any video. I say almost because I've noticed a few of my effects don't compile right because they expect RGBA8 and it seems madVR outputs in RGB10A2. I will be fixing those.

Reshade is also compatible with many other players but I haven't created install guides for those. Do post how to get it working with other players if you know how.

And of-course do compare the various effects and point out what you like and don't like about them and maybe we can improve some of them for video playback.

Besides color adjustment filters which is a per movie or per monitor preference, I personally like my Lumasharpen sharpener together with Clarity (a local contrast enhancer). Deband for the videos that exhibit bad banding.

Last edited by CeeJay.dk; Yesterday at 17:28.
CeeJay.dk is offline   Reply With Quote