Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 23rd December 2009, 06:27   #1  |  Link
Sabardi

Suddenly unable to create Xvid-AVI's

Hello everyone,

I’m very glad to have found this forum, and hope that you’ll be able to help me.

For the past few years I’ve been recording some TV programs on DVD-R, then converting some of those DVD’s (which I keep) into AVI files to view on my PC. I find the process very simple and I’ve never had a problem, until now.

For the past two days, the one and only software I use, namely AOA DVD RIPPER, has lost the ability to convert to AVI, displaying the message:

“Cannot open AVI file. Check that the directory exists and that the file is not used by another program.”

http://i48.tinypic.com/2yo2tec.jpg

How an AVI which I have yet to create is being used by another program is unclear to me, but the directory in question certainly exists. I even created a new directory (folder) for testing, but was given the same message.

I did notice, however, that my AVI clips, in which ever folder/directory they happen to be, are no longer recognized as “Type: AVI Clip” in the status bar of the folder, as they used to be, but have all changed to “Type: Video Clip”.

http://i48.tinypic.com/vwrgpt.jpg

I strongly believe that the two issues are related, and that fixing this “Type-in-the-status-bar” issue could solve the problem.

I am trying to avoid a reinstallation of my OS, and would be very grateful for any help this community could provide.

The codec I’ve always used: Xvid (always updated, as is my ripper)
Sabardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:50   #2  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

This "related issue" is probably not anything to do with your problem. The description in the status bar is only put there by the file type's association to any particular program within Windows. You can even alter that to say whatever you like. It sounds like a similar issue people have had with AutoGK and Norton virus protection - you should find the solution in the relevant sub-forum.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:05   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

@Sabardi

Hi!

Sounds like either a recently installed program (BUt you say you haven't any) or a virus may have affected your system.

1) If you haven't already done so, reboot your system

2) Try simply uninstalling and reinstalling AOA DVD RIPPER
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:55   #4  |  Link
Taurus

Maybe the old trick:
Disable thumbnail view in explorer.
Set it to list...
There might be a corrupted file in your folder and windows gets hickups
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 08:07   #5  |  Link
Sabardi

Thank you for suggesting these solutions.

Setarip,
I have subsequently rebooted and even un- and re-installed AOA (and Xvid), but to no avail.

Taurus,
My files are usually in the list view any way. But it’s interesting you say that, because precisely the same time as this problem started, I noticed that the thumbnail function for the clips (AVI’s, WMV’s) had stopped working. I fixed this after researching on the net. As I attempted the rip a day or two later, it escaped my mind that the issues may be related. But as I said, the thumbnails have been working fine.

CWR03,
Hopefully the search box will point me to the right sub-forums.
Sabardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avi, container, status-bar, xvid