Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 5th April 2020, 13:54   #18441  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Hi Atak,

I've mentioned this bug in the past, but I have not gotten bitten by it lately so I thought it was fixed. Essentially, when adding/modifying a job while jobs are processing and I think it's occurs when the muxing process occurs, it modifies and breaks the next job in the queue list with what appears merging parts of the job that I'm adding and the job that is going to happen next.
Hi, I'll be interested to see what Atak say's about this (if he does).

But the best way to stop this from happening, in my opinion, would be NOT to add or mod jobs, whilst Ripbot is working.

Not only is it causing the problems you're having, but adding a new job while you're encoding, takes a LONG time for it to do what it needs to do. Best to do it before or after encoding.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 5th April 2020, 20:05   #18442  |  Link
chainring

Quote:
LOL. I literally started my first test 2K encodes used for streaming and I liked the size to quality ratio and I was going to come here and ask Atak if he could add 2K (2560x1440) to the resolution options for scaling. So you beat me to it. Atak, just being a squeaky wheel here, but can you change the default to not add border padding to resized videos.
After going through the conundrum of, "Is this true 4K, or is it upscaled 2K DCI?" 4K Blu-ray ripping, encoding and storage, I settled on the 2560 width for any and all 4K content. In another thread, I asked benwaggner and Blue_MiSfit if 2560 seemed to be a good compromise and they both agreed it would be, provided the playback devices could handle the resolution. Nvidia Shield TV, check. LG B8 OLED, check. Samsung Galaxy Tab S6, check.

Seconding the no border padding as default. Is that a holdover from encoding for specific devices?
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 03:30   #18443  |  Link
stryker412

I tried Distributed Encoding tonight for the first time and also h265. It did not go well. It seems even though it's set for GPU, it's using CPU.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
stryker412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 09:29   #18444  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker412 View Post
I tried Distributed Encoding tonight for the first time and also h265. It did not go well. It seems even though it's set for GPU, it's using CPU.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
GPU is only used for Decoding, not Encoding. Hint the text in your screenshot "Default Video Decoder". From what I know the benefit for using GPU to decode only apply if you have a good and fast GPU, not a cheap GT1030.
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 11:02   #18445  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Hey guy's,

We've got another Auto Update today'ish.

Core 2020-04-04, updates also to EC & ES (v1.17.3.0), mkvtoolnix v45.0

Atak, just noticed there is a new build of Mediainfo (20.03)

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 6th April 2020 at 11:10.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 11:59   #18446  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZZ View Post
GPU is only used for Decoding, not Encoding. Hint the text in your screenshot "Default Video Decoder". From what I know the benefit for using GPU to decode only apply if you have a good and fast GPU, not a cheap GT1030.
I have a RTX 2070 Super.
Old 6th April 2020, 23:00   #18447  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Gzz is right. IT clearly says Decoding not encoding. Hardware decoding is only usefull If you have very weak CPU. Let's say mobile 2c/4t CPU plus you also work with very demanding 4k blu-ray HEVC stream @100 Mbps. With 8c/16t do not even bother using GPU decoding.

Ps. Five servers for 8c/16t is an overkill. 2 is enough for typical 1080p resolution.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 6th April 2020 at 23:10.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 00:10   #18448  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Gzz is right. IT clearly says Decoding not encoding. Hardware decoding is only usefull If you have very weak CPU. Let's say mobile 2c/4t CPU plus you also work with very demanding 4k blu-ray HEVC stream @100 Mbps. With 8c/16t do not even bother using GPU decoding.

Ps. Five servers for 8c/16t is an overkill. 2 is enough for typical 1080p resolution.
Ok I was keeping the resolution at 4K.

Last edited by stryker412; 7th April 2020 at 00:13.
Old 7th April 2020, 12:18   #18449  |  Link
stryker412

What's a good CQ setting for h265? I generally use 10MBps for 1080 content and feel that's a good compromise between file size and quality. I tried my first H265 file and set it at CQ 20 which resulted in a 4GB file for Infinity War. That seems REALLY low.
Old 7th April 2020, 12:42   #18450  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
What's a good CQ setting for h265? I generally use 10MBps for 1080 content and feel that's a good compromise between file size and quality. I tried my first H265 file and set it at CQ 20 which resulted in a 4GB file for Infinity War. That seems REALLY low.
All depends on how clean the source is. I use CQ18 for high quality and CQ21 for the streaming encodes. I've had some 4K sources that were so clean that compressed so well I was concerned something was wrong. Watching it shows that it looks excellent. It's amazing how much data can be saved sometimes on some sources when just applying a very light MDegrain2 with a thSAD=100 value. I've had a video go from 17GB to 10GB with this very light degraining.

I've also noticed that 4K sources compress a lot better than their HD counterparts. I suspect it is because of 10 bit color vs 8 bit for HD. As an example I would have a 4K source that I resize to 1080p (for streaming) and it comes out to say 1.5GB. I take the HD 1080p source and resize it to 720p (for streaming) and it would not be unusual that it would be 1.5GB or even a little larger than the 1080p 4K.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 13:21   #18451  |  Link
Ryushin

Not sure if it's just me, or a coincidence, but I think I've seen a 30 percent reduction in h.265 encoding speed since the last couple of updates or so. If everything appears normal to everyone else, then its probably just me.
Old 7th April 2020, 14:30   #18452  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
All depends on how clean the source is. I use CQ18 for high quality and CQ21 for the streaming encodes. I've had some 4K sources that were so clean that compressed so well I was concerned something was wrong. Watching it shows that it looks excellent. It's amazing how much data can be saved sometimes on some sources when just applying a very light MDegrain2 with a thSAD=100 value. I've had a video go from 17GB to 10GB with this very light degraining.

I've also noticed that 4K sources compress a lot better than their HD counterparts. I suspect it is because of 10 bit color vs 8 bit for HD. As an example I would have a 4K source that I resize to 1080p (for streaming) and it comes out to say 1.5GB. I take the HD 1080p source and resize it to 720p (for streaming) and it would not be unusual that it would be 1.5GB or even a little larger than the 1080p 4K.
My source will be direct off the UHD disc. I use MakeMKV to create a MKV first direct from the disc (untouched audio/video) then use Ripbot to shrink it down.

I was just having a hard time believing that a 60+GB movie can get down to 4.5GB with 4K video, HDR, and audio without looking like crap. I did see the bitrate was only 4.5Mbps

Last edited by stryker412; 7th April 2020 at 14:45.
Old 7th April 2020, 15:34   #18453  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
My source will be direct off the UHD disc. I use MakeMKV to create a MKV first direct from the disc (untouched audio/video) then use Ripbot to shrink it down.

I was just having a hard time believing that a 60+GB movie can get down to 4.5GB with 4K video, HDR, and audio without looking like crap. I did see the bitrate was only 4.5Mbps
I'm thinking almost all studios encode at a certain bit rate and they are done. I don't think any studio uses the constant quality setting. Imagine the fallout a studio would get if a 4K movie could fit on a single layer 25GB disc even with them using a CQ of 12-15 or so. For purists, more bits is always better, even if the more bits doesn't get them anything.
Old 7th April 2020, 18:54   #18454  |  Link
stryker412

Does this seem right for my system? This is for H265, CQ 16.

Last edited by stryker412; 7th April 2020 at 18:58.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:40   #18455  |  Link
stryker412

Can anyone tell me why this keeps happening? I ran it twice just to make sure it wasn't a one-off issue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c1...A81gj9BmdWnlCI
Old 8th April 2020, 14:54   #18456  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why this keeps happening? I ran it twice just to make sure it wasn't a one-off issue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c1...A81gj9BmdWnlCI
Which decoder are you using? Looking at the settings now, it looks like Atak has taken the option away other than CPU/GPU.

Is this happening using DE or single server?
Old 8th April 2020, 14:59   #18457  |  Link
stryker412

This is with DE (my first attempt using it). I only have it set to 2 instances though. From the previous comments, I set everything back to CPU before running this attempt. I only watched a few minutes of it but out of the first 10 minutes or so this is the only time I saw this happen. However, this is also a chapter break.

Edit: I just looked and the video does it again on the 3rd chapter then the video cuts out entirely for about 5-6 minutes (audio is fine).

Edit 2: I just tried in Handbrake using the h.265 (nvenc) setting. I'm averaging around 43FPS and an encode time of just over an hour. That's a massive difference compared to using CPU. I'm not sure why in Ripbot, when I set it to GPU it doesn't seem to honor that setting.

Last edited by stryker412; 8th April 2020 at 15:44.
Old 8th April 2020, 18:17   #18458  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
This is with DE (my first attempt using it). I only have it set to 2 instances though. From the previous comments, I set everything back to CPU before running this attempt. I only watched a few minutes of it but out of the first 10 minutes or so this is the only time I saw this happen. However, this is also a chapter break.

Edit: I just looked and the video does it again on the 3rd chapter then the video cuts out entirely for about 5-6 minutes (audio is fine).

Edit 2: I just tried in Handbrake using the h.265 (nvenc) setting. I'm averaging around 43FPS and an encode time of just over an hour. That's a massive difference compared to using CPU. I'm not sure why in Ripbot, when I set it to GPU it doesn't seem to honor that setting.
Try running the video without DE. Handbrake is also not doing 10bit color yet from what I remember. I think there is also the issue that the GPU produces less quality than using the CPU in Handbrake if you are using it for encoding.
Old 8th April 2020, 19:09   #18459  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
Try running the video without DE. Handbrake is also not doing 10bit color yet from what I remember. I think there is also the issue that the GPU produces less quality than using the CPU in Handbrake if you are using it for encoding.
Doing it now. Will let you know how it goes in 10hrs or so.
Old 8th April 2020, 23:07   #18460  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:

Looks like lsmash is having some problems with frame accurate seeking. I assume that this issue appears at new chunk. If you want this fixed please upload first 15 minutes of original(untouched!) video file. Use mkvtoolnix to split file and remove audio and subtitles. Next make sure that problem also is present in new sample. Then upload your sample somwhere and post link here.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360