Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 21st April 2012, 15:40   #1  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

Elecard Buffer Analyser and x264

I actually make a guide for undestanding VBV to compressionist with x264 (and other codec too).

When I make encoding with x264 Elecard Analyser say that Initial CPB delay is only 0.001 sec. With this bad value Analyser find heavy underflow problem.

With x264 vbv-init=0.9 and buffer=30000 maxrate=40000, delay should be very higher. I think that Analyser can't read correctly initial buffer for x264. Anyway Analyser work good for other H264 encoder like Ateme, Elecard and Mainconcept.

Bug for x264? bug for Elecard Buffer Analyser? How corrige my x264 stream for indicate correct initial delay in HRD information?

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 02:43   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Did you add nal-hrd information with the --nal-hrd parameter (set to either cbr or vbr of course)?
Old 22nd April 2012, 07:26   #3  |  Link
spawnbsd

He must have, as other wise Elecard won't display any stats unless the stream has HRD.

I think the problem likely has something to do with using such a small CPB delay (0.75 seconds). In my experience I tend to get these sorts of errors if I use less than a 1 second CPB delay in x264, if I use a 1, 2 or 4 second CPB delay, Elecard never gives any errors.
spawnbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:34   #4  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnbsd View Post
I think the problem likely has something to do with using such a small CPB delay (0.75 seconds). In my experience I tend to get these sorts of errors if I use less than a 1 second CPB delay in x264, if I use a 1, 2 or 4 second CPB delay, Elecard never gives any errors.
According to the x264 wiki, --vbv-init means initial fill = vbv-init * vbv-bufsize for vbv-inits < 1, but initial fill = vbv-init (in kilobits) for vbv-inits >= 1.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:03   #5  |  Link
spawnbsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
According to the x264 wiki, --vbv-init means initial fill = vbv-init * vbv-bufsize for vbv-inits < 1, but initial fill = vbv-init (in kilobits) for vbv-inits >= 1.
Sorry, but I'm not quite sure how this relates to his question, much less my answer.

Since he's using a CPB delay of 0.75 (buffer/maxrate), and vbv-init of 0.9, his initial CPB removal delay *should* be 0.675 seconds.
spawnbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:28   #6  |  Link
Lyris

I noticed this too, and was concerned, but didn't see any playback problems on devices (BD set top players).

Is it possible to test with any other analysers?
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 13:32   #7  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnbsd View Post
Since he's using a CPB delay of 0.75 (buffer/maxrate), and vbv-init of 0.9, his initial CPB removal delay *should* be 0.675 seconds.
You said you've had problems with delays >= 1 second, so I wanted to make sure that you are aware of the differences in --vbv-unit, thinking it might help finding the cause.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote