Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 19th October 2018, 14:45   #27881  |  Link
Mark_Venture

UHD... smaller file size that I thought...

Wow... First off A+ @jdobbs for adding UHD to MKV support.

I did a few with 60.02, 3 and 4... using Alt Movie Only, CRF=20, Encoder+better(fast), "MKV Container, HEVC, NO_RESIZE, Intact Audio"

With i8700k cpu, it takes anywhere from 7-9hrs depending on the movie. HDR flags remain intact per media info. Playing the files via SPMC 16.7.4 on my FireTV Cube with my Sony XBR 4K TV, the TV reports HDR and colors look right (good).

I'm surprised at the file size. Its smaller than I expected. For example, Valerian And the City of a Thousand Planets compressed from 70gig down to 13gig. (70gig was using MakeMKV to rip to MKV file without compression/etc.)

While I managed to watch a few other 4K converts I did, and they looked better than internet streaming (UHD via VUDU) of the same titles, Valerian just finished over night so I didn't get to watch it yet. I can't wait to get a chance to see how good it looks after compressing like this.
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 17:20   #27882  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
UHD... smaller file size that I thought...

Wow... First off A+ @jdobbs for adding UHD to MKV support.

I did a few with 60.02, 3 and 4... using Alt Movie Only, CRF=20, Encoder+better(fast), "MKV Container, HEVC, NO_RESIZE, Intact Audio"

With i8700k cpu, it takes anywhere from 7-9hrs depending on the movie. HDR flags remain intact per media info. Playing the files via SPMC 16.7.4 on my FireTV Cube with my Sony XBR 4K TV, the TV reports HDR and colors look right (good).

I'm surprised at the file size. Its smaller than I expected. For example, Valerian And the City of a Thousand Planets compressed from 70gig down to 13gig. (70gig was using MakeMKV to rip to MKV file without compression/etc.)

While I managed to watch a few other 4K converts I did, and they looked better than internet streaming (UHD via VUDU) of the same titles, Valerian just finished over night so I didn't get to watch it yet. I can't wait to get a chance to see how good it looks after compressing like this.
Actually I was surprised in my testing also. The UHD with a fixed CRF was shrinking much smaller than I had expected. But the quality was outstanding. It's just one more example of how superior X265 is to most HEVC encoders. It also shows how much wasted space is used on the original UHD discs (probably just to make them harder to copy).

Now... if I can find a way to get past that annoying audio sync issue when using TSMUXER to create UHD-BDs, I'll feel better. Interestingly, the higher the bitrate used the worse the sync issue gets. If I output several UHD movies to a single UHD disc (low bitrate as a result of a CRF of 23 or so) it seems to sync ok. I have to believe the whole issue is related to some X265 setting, although I have failed to find it. If I create a UHD disc from an untouched HEVC file (original, not reencoded) the bitrate doesn't seem to matter and the mux via TSMUXER followed by my UHD corrections works perfectly.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th October 2018 at 21:47.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 23:15   #27883  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
That way you can create multiple MKVs.
Thanks for the how-to instructions.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 04:41   #27884  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I have 5 pieces of 720x480 16:9 MPEG-2 video that I've added to a Blu-ray. But, when played on my Samsung BD player, it believes that the videos are 4:3.
When did your hardware start developing human repetitive patterns of thought (Believe)?
Old 20th October 2018, 05:01   #27885  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Yes it will via "Import DVD".
No, it won't...since I reported about Stargate DVDs.. Twice.. But I haven't checked it yet with the newest update..

Update: I now see there have been 2 Updates released. Woohoo! I'll check them soon. Pardon the reply..

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 20th October 2018 at 05:32.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 14:04   #27886  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
No, it won't...since I reported about Stargate DVDs.. Twice.. But I haven't checked it yet with the newest update..

Update: I now see there have been 2 Updates released. Woohoo! I'll check them soon. Pardon the reply..
??? I've imported more DVDs than I can count and I've never had an issue. The MPEG2 issues that are fixed in recent updates are related to file imports.
Old 21st October 2018, 02:20   #27887  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
When did your hardware start developing human repetitive patterns of thought (Believe)?
It is called A.I.
Old 21st October 2018, 03:23   #27888  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
It is called A.I.
A.I., and not even "Big Blue" are close to being Human. A.I. is based on complex code that people feed it (Keyboard, USB, some kind of physical connection). It will never think for itself. A.I. is based on Computer code. Not any way around it. Unless you're thinking there is some kind of External Port to us other than the 3rd eye? Which would mean the "UnSeen" but sensed by many. Okay, but A.I. will never say it has Past-Lives knowledge until it starts to clone itself. Every A.I. is New even to every new programmed A.I. People aren't. Complex and very fun subject.

But for your joke.. I Git Yaz...Havin' Fun N'all.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 23rd October 2018 at 03:39. Reason: Removing a comment I could have typed a lot better. My error.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 03:59   #27889  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture
I know, I know, I have to revisit the DVDs.. I'll get there.
Then I'd appreciate it if you didn't post comments about DVD import not working -- like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture
No, it won't...since I reported about Stargate DVDs.. Twice..
...especially about a function that has been working correctly for years. If you had a problem, I'm guessing it is something related to those particular DVDs... although I don't recall your specific bug report.

In the meantime I have some clueless-noob over on VIDEOHELP posting a review lambasting BD-RB for not working correctly in outputting UHD-BDs -- even through I've posted very clearly in the logs and this thread that it still has issues (including the one he complained about) and is meant to be experimental. That's exactly why I didn't post any updates for so long -- and now I wish I hadn't. In fact, I now have to consider walking away from it again. It seems that no matter how clear I am -- people fail to read or understand. I should have just disabled it rather than try to get help looking at it (after a long period of banging my head against the wall alone).

When you are doing work for free, just to provide a service to others... you have the right to at least expect a little common courtesy and appreciation for your labors.

If I sound pissed... it's because I am.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st October 2018 at 04:27.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 12:18   #27890  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Well there's a solution to that. Pull the UHD code and go back to non-UHD version for the general user, and only build an UHD version for yourself until you find it working correctly. And if you link to that specific review, i'm sure there's plenty users here that will post a reply telling him that uhd support is experimental and BDRB works just fine.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 14:15   #27891  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
Well there's a solution to that. Pull the UHD code and go back to non-UHD version for the general user, and only build an UHD version for yourself until you find it working correctly. And if you link to that specific review, i'm sure there's plenty users here that will post a reply telling him that uhd support is experimental and BDRB works just fine.
If I do that it will likely never work. The whole reason for releasing it was so I could get other eyes looking at it. I think a year is long enough for me trying to figure it out alone.

I'm just going to disable UHD-BD output by default with a popup "no can do" message. I'll then add a hidden option that will enable it so I can get some help from those who are well informed. I'll keep the UHD ALTERNATE output enabled.
Old 21st October 2018, 16:00   #27892  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
I'm just going to disable UHD-BD output by default with a popup "no can do" message. I'll then add a hidden option that will enable it so I can get some help from those who are well informed. I'll keep the UHD ALTERNATE output enabled.
How about a point form list of the problems you are encountering so some of us can test various settings on each item.
This might help since we can then focus on one item at a time
PS
Make the message actually say "NO CAN DO"
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 21:03   #27893  |  Link
gonca

Ran a couple of quick tests on the UHD stuff
Imported a full disc with quick re-author
I also cut a 5 minute section (original disc) of the main M2TS and remuxed as MKV with MKVToolNix
I ran an Import on both of these and they play fine, although with a 10 second delay on the audio.
According to mediainfo both audio tracks have a 10 sec delay where the originals had 83 ms and 0
No encoding took place, so this 10 sec delay is being added in the remux (I could be wrong)
Old 21st October 2018, 21:14   #27894  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
In the meantime I have some clueless-noob over on VIDEOHELP posting a review lambasting BD-RB for not working correctly in outputting UHD-BDs
Did you post over there, pointing out the error of his ways?
Old 21st October 2018, 21:17   #27895  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
How about a point form list of the problems ...
What is a "point form list?"
Old 21st October 2018, 21:25   #27896  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
What is a "point form list?"
a)
b)
etc, or
1)
2)
etc, or
---
---
etc

How is the DVD thing going?
Old 22nd October 2018, 02:06   #27897  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
a)
b)
etc, or
1)
2)
etc, or
---
---
etc
Must be a Canadian thing to call it that.
Old 22nd October 2018, 02:15   #27898  |  Link
gonca

Just for MrVideo
https://www.google.com/search?q=poin...ient=firefox-b
Old 22nd October 2018, 03:00   #27899  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Never heard of lists of that type called that.
Old 22nd October 2018, 14:42   #27900  |  Link
Max1984

jdobbs

I m try to UHD TO BD25 with menu encoding to.. menu /sub/video all fine. just sync in audio . plzz tell me best audio setting & how to fix it. thanx ..
Max1984 is offline   Reply With Quote