Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 1st March 2013, 19:04   #16721  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzorann View Post
on this new version i seem to be getting block looking horizontal lines.
Are you using the correct helper apps? Run "Inspect.exe" (in the BD-RB folder) and post the results.

Also, have you inspected the original rips (on the same computer) to see that these problems don't exist in them?
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 22:03   #16722  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
i haven't used bd-rd in a while so when prompted i downloaded the latest version a couple of nights ago. on this new version i seem to be getting block looking horizontal lines. it doesn't happen in every frame but it can be seen in most of them. the two movies i've tried are Dredd and The Thing 2011. i've tried both high quality and automatic quality settings. i'm doing a full backup, quicker extras, BD25 encode. i haven't touched any other settings.

here's a picture of what i'm talking about. i've brightened the image so it's easier to see the issue.

http://i.imgur.com/jTtwMC7.jpg
Nothing has really changed in that respect except the version of X264, and I've done at least 100 or so encodes in testing new version -- with nothing similar to your report. Try swapping it out with the one from the last release and see if it makes a difference.

[Edit] There's also a new X264 version posted on www.x264.nl -- you could try that one as well.

Last edited by jdobbs; 1st March 2013 at 22:27.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 22:42   #16723  |  Link
auzorann

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
Are you playing it back using Hardware Acceleration? That can cause that type of artifacting. Compressed video has the tendency of being oversimplified by the GPU You'll find the original will usually look fine. Which is why it's logical to assume a problem.

By the way, I recall The Thing being severely oversimplified.
i wasn't using hardware acceleration but strangely if i turn it on it goes away lol. so it looks like there's nothing wrong with the encode i guess.
auzorann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 22:45   #16724  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
i wasn't using hardware acceleration but strangely if i turn it on it goes away lol. so it looks like there's nothing wrong with the encode i guess.
That's why we always check on a standalone player before reporting bugs here Software players are a lot more involved.
Old 1st March 2013, 22:54   #16725  |  Link
auzorann

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
That's why we always check on a standalone player before reporting bugs here Software players are a lot more involved.
you guys are awesome. thanks lol.
auzorann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:27   #16726  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
That's good news.
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:01   #16727  |  Link
ironleg1963

this has most likely been asked many times, but I do not know if it is a problem with img burn and anydvd or windows 8 pro x 64. when I run the inspect I get this;

- Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
- AVISYNTH Version: [2.5.8.0], Ok
- HAALI Splitter: [1.9.42.1], Ok
- FFDSHOW: [4422], Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set incorrectly: [0]
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set incorrectly: [0]
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
- AnyDVD settings check: Ok.
- BD Rebuilder v0.43.0.1, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok

It is on a fresh install of windows 8 pro x 64 and I do not know how to fix this.
I usually rip my original to the hard drive with the latest version of anydvd, and I always close my a/v and malware programs as well.when I use imgburn it comes up with read errors as it is verifying. I have tried it on my sony and asus burners and both have the same issues with imgburn and the inspect error. Any help is appreciated,
thanks!
ironleg1963@gmail.com
ironleg1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 13:56   #16728  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironleg1963 View Post
Take a look at the very first post in this thread. Basically:
"make sure MPEG2 decoding is enabled. Do the same using "Audio Decoder Configuration" to ensure "Uncompressed" is set to "All Supported"."
and
"Setup VC-1 decoding in the same way you did MPEG-2 in step one. For Vista or Windows 7 using "Video Decoder Configuration" -- select "wmv9""

I'm not sure if there is anything else you need to do on Win8, but that would be a good start.

That being said, I can't see how those settings would interfere with the actual burning operation. It could be that you have a bad burner, or bad media.
Old 2nd March 2013, 14:37   #16729  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
Space Adventure Cobra, a Japanese SciFi animation from early 80s. It's a collection of tv show episodes but they've been authored into a single 47GB .m2ts instead of each episode in its own .m2ts. The problem is that in the output some of the episodes are missing English subtitles.
I took another swing at this title with 0.43.01; the problem persists. Output has English subs only in episodes 1, 3 and 5. Even numbered episodes have no subs even though the player shows English subs are active.

Now, this is such a weird issue I don't expect it to be solved anytime soon... so I decided to find an alternative solution:

1) Ripped English subs from the original into a .sup file using MeGUI's Stream Extractor.
2) Dropped the BDMV directory from BD-RB output with missing subs into DeanBG's very handy MultiAVCHD.
3) Added the .sup as an external subtitle and removed the original English subs.
4) Made sure transcoding was disabled and processed the lot to full BD25.

Output has English subs in all episodes.

Last edited by colinhunt; 2nd March 2013 at 15:27.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 15:16   #16730  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironleg1963 View Post
this has most likely been asked many times, but I do not know if it is a problem with img burn and anydvd or windows 8 pro x 64. when I run the inspect I get this;

- Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
- AVISYNTH Version: [2.5.8.0], Ok
- HAALI Splitter: [1.9.42.1], Ok
- FFDSHOW: [4422], Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
- AnyDVD settings check: Ok.
- BD Rebuilder v0.43.0.1, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok

It is on a fresh install of windows 8 pro x 64 and I do not know how to fix this.
I usually rip my original to the hard drive with the latest version of anydvd, and I always close my a/v and malware programs as well.when I use imgburn it comes up with read errors as it is verifying. I have tried it on my sony and asus burners and both have the same issues with imgburn and the inspect error. Any help is appreciated,
thanks!
ironleg1963@gmail.com
Following the directions in the first post will fix the incorrect settings -- but if you are getting read errors on a verify it is either bad discs or a bad drive (most likely flakey discs since its happening on two drives). That would have little to do with BD-RB or ImgBurn.

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd March 2013 at 00:08.
Old 3rd March 2013, 00:05   #16731  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Hi guys,

I ran into another audio sync issue. The last time I had this issue was with a heavily mulit-part title (70 parts IIRC); Total Recall 2012. The audio was in sync at the beginning, but delayed by about 1/2 second by the end of the film.

This time the title is "Man On Fire". The audio is in sync at the beginning, again, but out of sync at the end by about 300ms delay. This time the original video is in one single stream.

I was running BD-RB 42.08 when this problem happened, so, today, I upgraded to 43.01 to see if that would help: the problem remains.

To solve this problem I took the audio stream from the Workfiles folder and scaled it down by approx 300ms. Then I manually used tsMuxeR to created a new BD structure from the video and sup files that BD-RB created, plus my scaled-down audio file.

I detected this problem during my usual validation process - after rebuilding, before burning. I use VLC Media Player, checking 3 positions of the video: just after opening credits, midway, and just before closing credits. I look primarily at lip movement vs audio. The original disc audio sync is fine, my custom rebuild is fine (good enough, anyway), the BD-RB rebuild has the sync issue.

Like I said, I've solved my problem manually, so this is just FYI. But let me know if you need additional info.
Man on Fire was finally delivered today. I'll run it and see what I find.
Old 4th March 2013, 00:25   #16732  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
@RobertM

Were there any special circumstances or settings associated with your attempt to reencode "Man on Fire"?
Back in the right thread again

Here's the rebuild MOF.INF file (timing approx):
Code:
[Status]
LABEL=MOF
VERSION=v0.43.01 (beta)
SOURCE_SIZE=40202883072
SOURCE_VIDEO_SIZE=40202883072
TARGET_SIZE=25375539200
REDUCTION=.631187050803161
RESIZE_1080=0
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=0
SUBS_TO_KEEP=eng;
BACKUP_MODE=1
MOVIEONLY_TYPE=0
USE_LAVF=0
INSTANCES=1
DGDECNV=0
QUICK=0
ENCODE_STEP=0
COMPLETED=1
REBUILD_COMPLETE=1
[00001]
AUDIO=100
PGS=100000
VIDEO2=0
V2MBRATE=0
M2TS_TARGET=25375539200
RATE=20775
SPLITS=1
NSIZE=0
FLINK=0
MLINK=0
NSTART=27000000
NEND=421458885
The places that I checked using VLC were as follows:
0:05:09 "Obey me and I'll love you forever"
1:15:01 "I borrowed it"
2:08:44 "What does she call her bear"

The first point was in sync, the last was noticeably delayed for the audio.

It could always be a bad disc release, of course. I recently did "The Woman in Black" and it had HIDEOUS banding (hideous to me - my wife and son didn't say anything about it). According to BluRay.com the BluRay video was supposedly fantastic, but I found some other comments online saying that the Alliance version had bad banding. My disc is the Alliance. So, for what it's worth, this "Man On Fire" disc says "© 2007 FOX".
Old 4th March 2013, 02:10   #16733  |  Link
jdobbs

The one I have has the exact same sizes etc. that yours does. Confusing... I've made a few changes since v0.43.1, but nothing that should change the audio sync, except when the source uses pulldown -- and MOF doesn't... maybe I'll step back and try it just to be sure.

Last edited by jdobbs; 4th March 2013 at 02:21.
Old 4th March 2013, 17:12   #16734  |  Link
colinhunt

jdobbs, remember the issue I've had with small m2ts files containing two LPCM audio tracks, one or both of which refuse to be re-encoded into AC3?

Well, dammit. I recently built a new PC for non-encoding purposes but ended up installing BD-RB on it after all. Earlier today I threw "Baron Blood" at it, fully expecting to see the Audio Reencoding issue pop up again. But no! First VID on the disc is only 6.05MB and has two LPCM audio tracks. My encoding rig (a dual-Xeon) stumbled on it immediately... but this new PC encoded the files like it was the simplest task on the planet.

I suppose we can cross that bug off the list.
Old 4th March 2013, 17:28   #16735  |  Link
colinhunt

With the good comes the bad. Another japanime title, Steinsgate, was subjected to a movie-only backup last night. Result: last of the eight episodes plays without subtitles. I went through the log and .INF files but found nothing that would have even hinted at a problem.

Ripping .sup with MeGUI's Stream Extractor and muxing it into BD-RB's output with multiAVCHD saved the day again.
Old 5th March 2013, 14:25   #16736  |  Link
sonate

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
jdobbs, remember the issue I've had with small m2ts files containing two LPCM audio tracks, one or both of which refuse to be re-encoded into AC3?

Well, dammit. I recently built a new PC for non-encoding purposes but ended up installing BD-RB on it after all. Earlier today I threw "Baron Blood" at it, fully expecting to see the Audio Reencoding issue pop up again. But no! First VID on the disc is only 6.05MB and has two LPCM audio tracks. My encoding rig (a dual-Xeon) stumbled on it immediately... but this new PC encoded the files like it was the simplest task on the planet.

I suppose we can cross that bug off the list.
I saw similar to what you describe on P4's after the newer wavi.exe replaced the older version. It's not that BD-RB pops out an error message, rather the process quits and RB just sits there. Using the process tree to visualize what happens at that point, it looks like aften.exe simply terminates and the second version of aften never is called. On a whim I switched the two versions of aften by renaming each version to the name of the other and found that the AC3 encoding will in fact complete.
sonate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 03:31   #16737  |  Link
AGKnotUser

Question about Edit mode

When in Full Backup and Edit mode the VIDs that appear are the same for when I'm not in Edit mode. The only way to see all the VIDs is to go into Movie and Menu mode with Edit mode. I have been told that Full Backup and Edit mode should allow me to see all the VIDs but that is not the case. I have ENABLE_TEST=1 in the INI file.

Edit: I originally meant to ask this as a possible bug but didn't phrase it as such, sorry.

Last edited by AGKnotUser; 7th March 2013 at 11:38.
AGKnotUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 13:38   #16738  |  Link
Adbear

You probably need to also add
MIN_M2TS_SIZE=n
and set n to a really low number
Adbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 14:43   #16739  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGKnotUser View Post
When in Full Backup and Edit mode the VIDs that appear are the same for when I'm not in Edit mode. The only way to see all the VIDs is to go into Movie and Menu mode with Edit mode. I have been told that Full Backup and Edit mode should allow me to see all the VIDs but that is not the case. I have ENABLE_TEST=1 in the INI file.

Edit: I originally meant to ask this as a possible bug but didn't phrase it as such, sorry.
In order to save encoding time on insignificant sources, "Full Backup" mode ignores videos that are below the threshold value. See MIN_M2TS_SIZE in HIDDENOPTS.TXT.
Old 7th March 2013, 15:03   #16740  |  Link
AGKnotUser

Thanks, it worked. Of course.
AGKnotUser is offline   Reply With Quote