Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st July 2016, 11:58   #38981  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
ryrynz, here is comparison from his own site. To me the after picture looks unnatural and with lots of details missing.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wv05mfBis...rned%2Boff.png
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S6k4Cru_J...ening%2Bx4.png
Thanks. It's certainly further than I'd go, the edges aren't something you want to thin down considerably.. better to sharpen them and just thin them just a little.
The overall detail is still there there's actually little change to most of the image except for the lines, I don't understand the reason why people want to thin them so much, it ruin's the appearance of the characters.

Sometimes I found even thin edges at 1.0 went a bit overboard so I stopped using it and just rely on a Awarpsharpen, and a touch of line darkening through Avisynth along with some sharpening through madVR depending on the source.
I can make IMO 480 anime look similar to 720 content. It's all about having a firm yet gentle hand, it's easy to over do it.

Last edited by ryrynz; 31st July 2016 at 12:03.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 12:46   #38982  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Thanks. It's certainly further than I'd go, the edges aren't something you want to thin down considerably.. better to sharpen them and just thin them just a little.
The overall detail is still there there's actually little change to most of the image except for the lines, I don't understand the reason why people want to thin them so much, it ruin's the appearance of the characters.

Sometimes I found even thin edges at 1.0 went a bit overboard so I stopped using it and just rely on a Awarpsharpen, and a touch of line darkening through Avisynth along with some sharpening through madVR depending on the source.
I can make IMO 480 anime look similar to 720 content. It's all about having a firm yet gentle hand, it's easy to over do it.
Mostly because my screen in FHD and I want all anime to look FHD

Some algorithms are less needed in some anime that were natively produced in FHD, so I'm playing around with my settings a lot, but that image represents exactly why I love edge thinning.

It;s mostly about getting rid of blurry and too thick edges that make things look fuzzy. Not that much about thinning really, as much as about making edges look tangible, opposed to the gaussian blurred filtered look they have sometimes.

Well, I agree that sometimes it might be overkill and the image might degrade, so I think I might have to also step down a bit on the details.

I also think that for my images examples I'm using upscaling refinement -> edge thinning 8.0 while for image enhancements I'm stepping it down a lot, as it does break eyes of anime characters.

For real media content, I think that the sweet spot is (for me?) around 2.8 for edge thinning on image enhancements, whilst I'm still testing for upscaling refinement.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 12:47   #38983  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
ryrynz, here is comparison from his own site. To me the after picture looks unnatural and with lots of details missing.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wv05mfBis...rned%2Boff.png
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S6k4Cru_J...ening%2Bx4.png

I don't think that details are missing. The backgrounds look less blurry really, even closer to a clear image
Old 31st July 2016, 15:03   #38984  |  Link
Patrik G

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what settings are you using and is your TV using interpolation at what refreshrate is it running?

can you amke a screen of the OSD and a screen with athe windows movie player?
settings doesnt matter as i have changed all and it doesnt affect the motion test.
i use 60Hz at 1080P
run the test for yourself and see what you come up with.
it runs at 60fps
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb192876/FP...Resolution.mp4

but madvr and its smooth motion must be doing something good because motion on 24p content is way better (more fluid) than on the build in windows media player which this test runs smooth on.
so i think this motion test doesnt say it all about motion performance.
not for 24p content anyway.

but just for the papers

Last edited by Patrik G; 31st July 2016 at 15:07.
Patrik G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 16:45   #38985  |  Link
huhn

this test file is kind of broken.

it is interlanced and madVr isn't deinterlancing it because it is saying that is has 60 FPS before deinterlancing.

when lavfilter is deinterlancing than madVr things this file is 120 hz.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 17:25   #38986  |  Link
a8213711

I just discovered the results of Image Enhancements don't appear in the images saved with MPC-HC; are there many other functions which don't appear when saving images?
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 17:48   #38987  |  Link
huhn

if i'm not mistaken nearly everything is not applied there.
Old 31st July 2016, 18:31   #38988  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
if i'm not mistaken nearly everything is not applied there.
Doesn't that function actually get the video before madVR has even done scaling? I think it grabs the frame after decoding but before madVR.
Old 31st July 2016, 18:36   #38989  |  Link
huhn

you still need to do a YCbCr->RGB conversation and madVR has to do that.

i have no clue if the selected chroma scaler is used for that or not.
if i remember correctly it is dithering even with disabled dithering(don't do this).
Old 31st July 2016, 21:36   #38990  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
I just discovered the results of Image Enhancements don't appear in the images saved with MPC-HC; are there many other functions which don't appear when saving images?
But the enhancements appear when you press print screen, if you want to notice differences, as far as I know.
Old 31st July 2016, 21:51   #38991  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
if i remember correctly it is dithering even with disabled dithering(don't do this).
AFAIK it dithers on CPU (using error diffusion).
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 23:10   #38992  |  Link
ibius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Doesn't that function actually get the video before madVR has even done scaling? I think it grabs the frame after decoding but before madVR.
'Crop black bars' gets applied to saved images, so madVR is active.

@madshi: speaking of cropping black bars, could we get file name tags for that, please?
Your last reply to leeperry on the subject didn't say whether you would implement it or not.

Last edited by ibius; 31st July 2016 at 23:20.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 03:11   #38993  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
I don't think that details are missing. The backgrounds look less blurry really, even closer to a clear image
You quoted me for something I didn't say. I ran both through a picture comparison tool and there's little change in detail nothing really noticeable.. It's just the lines which we already know are thinned too aggressively.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 04:23   #38994  |  Link
v0lt

@madshi
I have a mk3d file with the following parameters:
Code:
MultiView_Count                          : 2
MultiView_Layout                         : Side by Side (left eye first)
Is there a way to transform this video to "row interleaved" format? With madVR of course.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 04:26   #38995  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
@madshi
I have a mk3d file with the following parameters:
Code:
MultiView_Count                          : 2
MultiView_Layout                         : Side by Side (left eye first)
Is there a way to transform this video to "row interleaved" format? With madVR of course.
madVR will only accept frame-packed 3D. So, no, it can't be converted.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 05:10   #38996  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
madVR will only accept frame-packed 3D. So, no, it can't be converted.
SBS or TAB are just 2D, so of course madVR can accept them. It can output row interleaved too. However, I don't know if you can tell madVR that a 2D input video is a certain type of 3D and have it handle it accordingly.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 09:30   #38997  |  Link
huhn

that's what warner is saying.

in it's current state madVR only detects frame packed 3D as 3D and it can only convert these. more 3D features where planned AFAIK like the feature Volt is talking about reading some flags in mkv and convert the input to the selected output.
Old 1st August 2016, 15:04   #38998  |  Link
Sunspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
The after image linked was too heavy a hand. If you compare the red and yellow bows they wear, especially the one in the center, the yellow portions have actually shrunk and are now smaller than they were before by several mm.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 15:39   #38999  |  Link
fhoech

Quote:
how does your 3d lut know the brightness of the file?
It doesn't. All that it knows is the HDR peak brightness (of the display), as set during 3D LUT creation, then applies the BT.2390 rolloff + saturation adjustment, then maps into the display colorspace (with imo great results btw, my implementation has come some way in the past three weeks and will be available in the next version of DisplayCAL). Of course, a 3D LUT cannot react to dynamic metadata, which could be seen as a drawback. So far, I don't think it matters much, though.

Quote:
I'm afriad it's not in the current versions from v0.90.22:
Sure, I know that. I'm currently working around it by having two versions of the files: One with HDR metadata (handled by madVR's HDR implementation) and one without (HDR handled by the 3D LUT). The only thing that's a little bothersome when I do comparisons is that I have to remove the HDR 3D LUT when using madVR's HDR, otherwise the HDR processing is done twice (once from madVR itself and once through the 3D LUT).

Quote:
You can try v0.90.20: if it's working there you can ask madshi to revert/modify that change.
When I downgrade I won't be able to easily do comparisons. Having a way to disable madVR's HDR processing but not disable the 3D LUT would be useful. Notifying @madshi.
fhoech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 16:41   #39000  |  Link
AngelGraves13

For some reason I keep going back to Jinc for all my scaling needs. It seems to look more natural and has almost no artifacts unlike the other scalers.

NNEDI3 128 does look quite good. 256 looks a tiny bit better, but my 1080 GTX tends to get hot with that setting and the render times are at about 39 ms, which is too close to the frame time of 24p content. Should I lower the setting if the max sometimes hits 45 ms, but the average is around 30 ms? I'd ideally want the max under the 41.7 ms of 24p content?
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling