Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 22nd May 2009, 19:22   #1  |  Link
newyorkpaulie

editing recorded movies

I recorded a movie onto a DVD and want to know if there is software to edit this. The recording started way early and ran for about an hour longer than the movie did. Perhaps after copying the DVD onto my PC (as an ISO file for instance) I could then play it back and pick a starting point and an ending one for the edited (trimmed) version. Anyone know of a way to do this with available (free!) software? Thanks.
newyorkpaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:15   #2  |  Link
newyorkpaulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkpaulie View Post
I recorded a movie onto a DVD and want to know if there is software to edit this. The recording started way early and ran for about an hour longer than the movie did. Perhaps after copying the DVD onto my PC (as an ISO file for instance) I could then play it back and pick a starting point and an ending one for the edited (trimmed) version. Anyone know of a way to do this with available (free!) software? Thanks.
I downloaded Movie Maker which looks like the software I need to edit movies. Now my question is: what's a good program for getting my ISO's converted to a format this program will recognize, such as: avi, mpeg, wmv and such.?
newyorkpaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 05:25   #3  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Well, ISO's are bit tricky. Normally, the best option is to mount the ISO using something like Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive. When you do that, it will look like a DVD in a "fake" drive in your computer. You can do your further conversions and editing from there.
Old 26th May 2009, 07:31   #4  |  Link
netmask

If the DVD you burnt is a conventional DVD with VIDEO_TS folder that contains VOB files then download a free program like MPEGStreamclip and load in all the VOB files and then you can top and tail it ie remove the portions you don't want. Save it out as a MPEG2 file and play it on your PC or use the file to author a new DVD playable on a regular DVD player. VSO ConvertXtoDVD is not free but worth having. There are freeware authoring programs - just google.

If the disc is merely a data disk with an ISO file on it then burn the ISO to DVD format using IMG or Nero. You can also extract the VOB files from an ISO file using PowerISO etc..
BeyonWiz PVR T3 & V2 (Enigma2 clone)
Chromecast
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 7 Ultimate
QNAP NAS TS851
netmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 23:38   #5  |  Link
olyteddy

If you just want to chop the head and tail off, DVD Shrink in re-author mode can do it just fine. Set the start and end point of what you want to save, then click 'Backup'.
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 00:33   #6  |  Link

Remember to use an editor that works with MPEG2 GOPs so you don't lose quality.
880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 12:29   #7  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

There's an older program called Vidomi that when set to "Ignore settings and use MPEG-2 copy code" will function as a simple editor. It exports a file that can be reused without any encoding for a new DVD project.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote