Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st July 2014, 01:04   #1  |  Link
F J Walter

Help me understand rate distortion (subme 6/7)

Hi

For curiosity I'm interested in learning more about how rate distortion fits into the motion estimation process in x264, and specifically in subme 6/7.

I understand that rate distortion factors in bitrate efficiency (quality vs bitrate) into the usual metrics used to make decisions, and it does so by calculating both a quality metric as well as an estimated bit cost.

Now I also know that in subme 6/7, rate distortion optimisation is only done at some late stage of motion estimation - various sources say it's the decision of partition types only.

Now what I don't know:

Partition type decision: does that mean the decision of whether to encode a single motion vector for the whole 16x16 block or divide it into partitions down to 8x16,8x8,8x4 and 4x4? Is this the only step that RD in subme 6/7 affects?

Or does RD in subme 6/7 also affect the calculation of whether to refine the motion vector to half or quarter pixel precision?

Or does RD in subme 6/7 also affect the decision of whether to encode a block as a I or P block?

Or does it also affect some other calculation?

I understand that the RDO in subme 8/9 also uses a rate distortion calculation when actually finding the motion vectors - does this mean the full pixel search AND the decision to go to half or quarter pixel precision AND the hpel/qpel search?

And lastly, if RDO for subme 6/7 only affects the partition type decision, how is it able to have such a significant positive effect as it does? Particularly when using Psy RDO, which also introduces a "complexity" metric into the mix - how is that able to have such a significant effect when all it is doing is affecting the partition type decision? How is the partition type decision all that important?

Thanks in advance.
F J Walter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rdo, subme, x264