Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th July 2018, 08:45   #51761  |  Link
ABDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldnebel View Post
On Samsung TVs there's a special display mode to simulate HDR effects on SDR content called HDR+. It is used together with a function called optimal contrast.

Can we get such a feature for madVR? I guess those calculations done on the TVs are pretty low in quality?
i don't know what exactly Samsung TV do, but i always use 2006 (hdragc) filter for something like that with unbelievable result, it is slow, as it is did not hav MMX, SSE, SSE2 optimization, in some day (Didée) and (martin53) says that they will make an speed alternative to (hdragc) but unfortunately it does not see the light, it is nice dream to see something like that in madvr someday, but madshi already have a huge work in madvr.

Last edited by ABDO; 20th July 2018 at 08:49.
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 11:09   #51762  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
For the first ~5 seconds, the video renderer stays black, but the clip in general plays as you can hear from the dubbed audio, and the player window around the renderer rectangle (menu, controls, window border) is visible too; after the initial blackness, the video is visible, even if you stop and jump back to the beginning. So it just seems to have an initialization delay per clip, after opening the file, for the first playback start.

And yes, Aero Glass is disabled, I have an Aero Basic design (due to a few ancient applications which would force a switch to Aero Basic each time they start).
I use KODI DS and MPC-BE and have very similar issues, however when in KODI ds, if I choose to play the same video via the internal player is starts straight away.

I've asked this myself before and was told it was fairly normal, MADVR is just starting up essentially, it may have to switch pixel/res and engage, take a few seconds. Yeah it can be a bit annoying if you are resuming a video but I've just got used to it and it no longer bothers me.

I'm also using D3D11 , FSE and windowed mode in KODI DS, it also does it in MPC-BE though so its nothing to do with that.

MADSHI could look at this i'm sure but with all the other issues that need sorting I can understand why its a low priority.

! remember though, nobody is paying MADSHI for this MADVR loveliness beyond donations so lets try and keep everything civil, however i've also been guilty of being frustrated and a bit offhand in the past and have had to be reminded of this myself.

Have you logged it as a bug?

http://bugs.madshi.net/view_all_bug_page.php
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 14:35   #51763  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
For the first ~5 seconds, the video renderer stays black, but the clip in general plays as you can hear from the dubbed audio, and the player window around the renderer rectangle (menu, controls, window border) is visible too; after the initial blackness, the video is visible, even if you stop and jump back to the beginning. So it just seems to have an initialization delay per clip, after opening the file, for the first playback start.

And yes, Aero Glass is disabled, I have an Aero Basic design (due to a few ancient applications which would force a switch to Aero Basic each time they start).
madVR and literal every other rednerer will not work proerply without aero.

can you make a screen of the OSD?

@mclingo
windowed and FSE are multali exclusive to each other...
ligh said only thevideo IN player get black not the whole screen which has nothing todo with madVR.
the black screen from FSE is a GPU driver/screen thing as is changing refreshrate it will take as long as the screen will take to do it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 14:59   #51764  |  Link
mclingo

@HUHN - if the video being played is in full screen then it is the whole screen isnt it?, anyway, you're in a far better position technically to help with this, i'll bow out of this one.

Cheers.
Old 20th July 2018, 15:06   #51765  |  Link
huhn

it would be nice if you could make it clear if the screen is changing mode or not.

refreshrate changing will always create a blackscreen and switching between fullscreen windowed and FSE too.

you said you tried it with MPC-BE. so how does that this look? only the video window of mpc be or the whole screen?
Old 20th July 2018, 16:21   #51766  |  Link
brazen1

I too get the black screen while audio is playing for a few seconds. FSE vs windowed makes no difference. (Sometimes video playback is started and I can see it and then it flashes again. I don't what is occurring during the 'next' black screen flash) I turned off 'launch files in fullscreen' in MPC-HC so I could determine if the entire panel was going black or just the player. It's not just the player. The entire panel goes black. It's happening during automatic refresh rate change. Once the change is made, the video displays but not until then. This seems perfectly normal to me. What needs to happen is for the player to delay playback until the rate change is completed. I suppose different displays take different timing for the rate change but I'd guess about 4 seconds would cover most if not all. Switching into modes like 3D or HDR may add even more time on top of the rate change. We should also take into account the order in which software is deployed. If the player was last in line, it would give madVR a head start to fulfill its refresh rate command before playback started. (this is why controlling refresh rate switch from madVR is more efficient than letting the player control it) Maybe an additional command in madVR to 'delay video playback'. But madVR might be dependent on the player before it can execute anything? Ultimately, a setting in the player to 'delay video playback' for x amount of m/secs might be the best cure? Undoubtedly, that is not going to be adopted. Any ideas how to stall the player until refresh rate and mode changes have occurred?

I've already tried switch to matching display mode when it goes fullscreen or when video starts. That makes no difference fwiw. Also, you may have noticed it takes a few seconds AFTER playback to return to original resolution and rate. Lastly, delay switch to exclusive mode helps a bit but I remember in the past it was problematic with something specific in my usage and I'm too old to remember exactly what it was. Trying it again until I realize what that was. Delay start until queue is full doesn't seem to help either. As a matter of fact, it's completely broken for me. Player starts paused and pressing play does nothing. Could be it's not harmonious with some other setting I have someplace though? No idea. I'm using 385.28 GPU driver, W10 1803, and latest madVR, LAV Filters, and MPC-HC fwiw. ISO vs MKV makes no difference either. Of interest, FAB Player and PDVD start audio and video simultaneous after rate change.

Last edited by brazen1; 20th July 2018 at 16:50.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 16:35   #51767  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
It's happening during automatic refresh rate change. Once the change is made, the video displays but not until then. This seems perfectly normal to me.
It is "perfectly normal"!

Imho changing the refresh rate is nothing that should by done by the renderer, but its difficult for player and renderer to offer this option for all use cases.

A few seconds black sreens seems to be a good compromise for me ...
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 16:38   #51768  |  Link
huhn

mpc-hc -> options -> playback -> fullscreen -> delay

edit: i have a screen that does it in about 200 ms this is a screen issue.
Old 20th July 2018, 16:59   #51769  |  Link
mclingo

I guess the easiest way to test the hypothesis that this is a screen issue is to setup madvr to play with same res / resfresh as your desktop so it doesnt have to change anything.
Old 20th July 2018, 17:02   #51770  |  Link
brazen1

I really don't mind the black screen either. I've become used to it yet I cringe every time it happens and noticed it really bothers others. As for the 'delay' setting in MPC, it's greyed out when you don't use the player to do the rate switching and are using madVR to control it instead. Also, I think 'delay' is going to delay the rate change itself which sort of exasperates the problem unless I'm mistaken which I often am.
Old 20th July 2018, 17:05   #51771  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I guess the easiest way to test the hypothesis that this is a screen issue is to setup madvr to play with same res / resfresh as your desktop so it doesnt have to change anything.
Except it introduces lag with everything assuming you set them to 23/24Hz and destroys any Windows desktop usage. Also, what happens if you set to 24Hz and your video refresh rate is 25, 30, 60Hz which often is? Strangely enough, I just set GPU to 24Hz and started 24fps video. Still flashes to black for a few secs and starts MPC player paused. Pressing play starts audio but video is frozen on frame. There is more than meets the eye (pardon the pun) going on.

Last edited by brazen1; 20th July 2018 at 17:09.
Old 20th July 2018, 17:16   #51772  |  Link
mkohman

Hi Guys.. I have a question that I hope you can help me understand better... I'm moving from 16:9 to a 2.39:1 screen and was wondering what madVR masking does and how it's used? Would appreciate if this could please be explained.. Many thanks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 17:46   #51773  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
changing refreshrats take time that's a fact.

and you can easily test this.

mpc-hc default settigns with madVr as renderer.
reset madVR to defaults.
play a file in window mode.

@mkohman you have to be a lot more price about hat.

Quote:
I really don't mind the black screen either. I've become used to it yet I cringe every time it happens and noticed it really bothers others. As for the 'delay' setting in MPC, it's greyed out when you don't use the player to do the rate switching and are using madVR to control it instead. Also, I think 'delay' is going to delay the rate change itself which sort of exasperates the problem unless I'm mistaken which I often am.
try it out. never used it myself.
and if i'm not mistaken madshi wants to add soemthign like that too.
who knows whats on this todo list.
you need to disable the madVr dispaly changer for that and it may not work with HDR not sure.
Old 20th July 2018, 19:17   #51774  |  Link
mclingo

yes but the delay is less than a second without MADVR though, this is the point we're discussing.
Old 20th July 2018, 22:22   #51775  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Hi Guys.. I have a question that I hope you can help me understand better... I'm moving from 16:9 to a 2.39:1 screen and was wondering what madVR masking does and how it's used? Would appreciate if this could please be explained.. Many thanks
This simply sets some of the screen area to black. It is intended for projectors which can have some image area overhang the screen.

This is the first example image I found, the blue line on the wall could be eliminated by setting up madVR's masking.

I don't think it is useful for an ideal screen of any aspect ratio.
Old 20th July 2018, 22:28   #51776  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This simply sets some of the screen area to black. It is intended for projectors which can have some image area overhang the screen.

This is the first example image I found, the blue line on the wall could be eliminated by setting up madVR's masking.

I don't think it is useful for an ideal screen of any aspect ratio.
Right.. So its basically for any spillage to the left or right of the screen? I thought it was to do with the black bars on a scope movie..?

Old 20th July 2018, 22:31   #51777  |  Link
Asmodian

It could be the top or bottom too. Zoom Control, with its black bar detection, is for black bars. Masking is for this issue.
Old 20th July 2018, 22:42   #51778  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It could be the top or bottom too. Zoom Control, with its black bar detection, is for black bars. Masking is for this issue.
Ah.. I see. Can you please elaborate on the zoom control feature? I will be using my JVC to zoom in to fill the scope screen and the Black bars will be shooting above and below the screen.. What will the zoom control in madVR do for me? Sorry for the questions and thank you for your help..

Old 21st July 2018, 04:40   #51779  |  Link
SamuriHL

Well that was definitely fun! I clean installed the latest nVidia driver and set up madvr for 4K HDR. WOW! What an absolutely amazing experience that is on the LG C8 OLED! madvr just impresses me more and more. Of course because I've run into some subtitle issues with the later builds of madvr I'm still using a slightly older build so I can't wait for the next build to get all the latest fixes and options. But I'm VERY glad I jumped to 4K. Thank you, madshi, awesome work as always!
Old 21st July 2018, 05:12   #51780  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Ah.. I see. Can you please elaborate on the zoom control feature? I will be using my JVC to zoom in to fill the scope screen and the Black bars will be shooting above and below the screen.. What will the zoom control in madVR do for me?
It simply crops/zooms the black bars away before the rest of the rending path. When cropping it even improves performance and you can have madVR output to an anamorphic lens at full resolution.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling