Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 14th January 2014, 00:30   #18821  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Here's a working command line for half-SBS encoding using X264:

FRIMDecode.exe -i::mvc 00000.track_4113.264 00000.track_4114.mvc -sbs -o - | x264.exe - --demuxer raw --input-res 3840x1080 --fps 23.976 --crf 18 --video-filter resize:width=1920,height=1080,sar=1:1,method=bilinear --output out3d.264

Of course you could replace the CRF with a "--bitrate" option, and you could do two passes in two consecutive command lines. You could also use "bicubic", "spline", or "lanczos" for the resizing method.
Or if one prefers OU instead of SBS:
Code:
FRIMDecode.exe -i::mvc 00098.track_4113.264 00098.track_4114.mvc -tab -o - | x264.exe - --demuxer raw --sar 1:1 --crf 18 --input-res 1920x2160 --sar 1:1 --video-filter resize:width=1920,height=1080,sar=1:1,method=bilinear --fps 23.976 --output "C:\temp\FRIMtox264-OU.h264"
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 00:57   #18822  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Not really. Just let me know if you find any issues.
Ok, commencing test sequence. I will start with avatar and see how it comes out.

Last edited by HWK; 14th January 2014 at 01:04.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 01:04   #18823  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
Ok, commencing test sequence. While at it I was wondering would this be good time to get rid of ffdshow and use frimdecode to decode avc, mvc, mpeg2 and vc-1 stream or do you plan to phase out in stages if at all.
See jdobb's footnote here
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 01:13   #18824  |  Link
HWK

Thanks, after close examination I realized as long as we have Vc-1 ffdshow is going nowhere, unless jdobbs is also working on developing decoder for all supported formats.

Last edited by HWK; 14th January 2014 at 01:20.
Old 14th January 2014, 01:59   #18825  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thanks, after close examination I realized as long as we have Vc-1 ffdshow is going nowhere, unless jdobbs is also working on developing decoder for all supported formats.
I've found that the newest version of X264 includes LAVF filters that handle every format very well. The only thing holding it back in the past was it's VC-1 interlaced limitations, and those seem to have gone away.

One other limitation of feeding X264 directly is that, even though you can resize internally, there aren't any common releases that include the ability to pad -- so some of BD-RB's features (like resizing 4:3 into a 16:9 window) might still need AVISYNTH. I'm looking for a workaround. There are patches that filter, so I guess I could always start creating my own builds. I just hate to do that.
Old 14th January 2014, 02:25   #18826  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
I've found that the newest version of X264 includes LAVF filters that handle every format very well. The only thing holding it back in the past was it's VC-1 interlaced limitations, and those seem to have gone away.

One other limitation of feeding X264 directly is that, even though you can resize internally, there aren't any common releases that include the ability to pad -- so some of BD-RB's features (like resizing 4:3 into a 16:9 window) might still need AVISYNTH. I'm looking for a workaround. There are patches that filter, so I guess I could always start creating my own builds. I just hate to do that.
Jdobbs, I was reading somewhere that x264 LAVF can decode and serve frame to other encoders like HC. If so you can create two instance of x264 one for decode and another one for encode and use avisynth between them to process.
Old 14th January 2014, 02:37   #18827  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Not really. Just let me know if you find any issues.
Quote:
Ok, commencing test sequence. I will start with avatar and see how it comes out.
Jdobbs, Couple of things I noticed during encode

1. Max bitrate allowed is up to 60000, you have set 35000 isn't that low for both views combined.

2. Tsmuxer is extracting all subtitle from disc, even though option of having one was selected in BD-RB.

3. What does MKV have to do with this according VID_00001 file

#Created by BD Rebuilder - v0.46.03 (beta)
DirectshowSource("E:\BD_OUT\WORKFILES\00001.track_4113.mkv", fps=23.976, framecount=232608, ConvertFPS=true, audio=false)
ConvertToYV12().AssumeFPS(24000,1001)

Last edited by HWK; 14th January 2014 at 03:22.
Old 14th January 2014, 02:58   #18828  |  Link
DarWun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limobar View Post
I have a question about the quality of the new 3D mode. Does it make a difference in quality to use the existing (x264) quality profiles, or is there just one quality?
Quote:
Yes. Tweaking relates specifically to X264 settings, so it wouldn't apply.
I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Are you saying that for a 3D rebuild using FRIMEncode, the encoder quality settings Good, Better, etc. don't matter? If this is the case then I am a bit confused as to why a 3D rebuild with the encoder quality set at Highest took 7hours, and one done with automatic settings took 3.5hours.

Last edited by DarWun; 14th January 2014 at 03:01.
DarWun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 03:03   #18829  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarWun View Post
I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Are you saying that for a 3D rebuild using FRIMEncode, the encoder quality settings Good, Better, etc. don't matter? If this is the case then I am a bit confused as to why a 3D rebuild with the encoder quality set at Highest took 7hours, and one done with automatic settings took 3.5hours.
No, it is tweak related to x264 which has no effect, an example can be given of tune film value which is specific to x264 encoder in this case. Quality wise it will make difference since program change internal value of encoder to balance between speed and quality. For example I am using Ultra High Quality in BD-RB and for that preset in frimencode is given value of (2)

Frim quality scale goes from 1-7, 1 highest quality and 7 optimized for speed and 4 is balanced. As a result when you change quality setting BD-RB automatically set scale in encoder to predetermined value.

Last edited by HWK; 14th January 2014 at 03:25.
Old 14th January 2014, 03:26   #18830  |  Link
DarWun

Thanks for the clarification HWK.
Old 14th January 2014, 06:28   #18831  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Jdobbs, Couple of things I noticed during encode

1. Max bitrate allowed is up to 60000, you have set 35000 isn't that low for both views combined.

2. Tsmuxer is extracting all subtitle from disc, even though option of having one was selected in BD-RB.

3. What does MKV have to do with this according VID_00001 file

#Created by BD Rebuilder - v0.46.03 (beta)
DirectshowSource("E:\BD_OUT\WORKFILES\00001.track_4113.mkv", fps=23.976, framecount=232608, ConvertFPS=true, audio=false)
ConvertToYV12().AssumeFPS(24000,1001)
It was probably VC-1 interlaced or pulldown. DirectshowSource() can't read it properly from an M2TS (actually I think the issue is HAALI) so it has to be remuxed into an MKV first. There are a lot of things BD-RB has to do as workarounds for limitations in the tools.
Old 14th January 2014, 10:57   #18832  |  Link
Limobar
aka Rabomil

I did "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2" and got the exact same artifacts I got with "Epic", using PowerDVD 12. It's the 3D part that has the artifacts. The 2D part is clean.

Limobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 15:36   #18833  |  Link
Acerjen

Quote:
- Updated code to fully support DTS Express
secondary streams without the need for
special processing.
Does this mean that DTS Express audio tracks should work or is this something entirely different? All of the titles I have come across that have DTS Express audio, use it for the PIP video. I ran a few titles through the newest version and the DTS Express track is not working. Basically, its the same as its been since DTS Express support was put in experimentally a while back. PIP video works great but the audio isn't there. I checked the M2TS file with tsMuxer and the DTS Express track is there but is not playing. Before I posted anything specific, I wanted to ask if maybe I am misunderstanding what the above statement is saying. Thank you for your time and a great program. Later.

Acerjen
Acerjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 16:40   #18834  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerjen View Post
Does this mean that DTS Express audio tracks should work or is this something entirely different? All of the titles I have come across that have DTS Express audio, use it for the PIP video. I ran a few titles through the newest version and the DTS Express track is not working. Basically, its the same as its been since DTS Express support was put in experimentally a while back. PIP video works great but the audio isn't there. I checked the M2TS file with tsMuxer and the DTS Express track is there but is not playing. Before I posted anything specific, I wanted to ask if maybe I am misunderstanding what the above statement is saying. Thank you for your time and a great program. Later.

Acerjen
It should definitely work. It's working on all my players.
Old 14th January 2014, 17:10   #18835  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
It was probably VC-1 interlaced or pulldown. DirectshowSource() can't read it properly from an M2TS (actually I think the issue is HAALI) so it has to be remuxed into an MKV first. There are a lot of things BD-RB has to do as workarounds for limitations in the tools.
Avatar 3D main movie is not interlaced and vc-1. So I am not quite sure about this response being correct. FrimDecode is decoding this movie so I bit confused at this stage.
Old 14th January 2014, 17:31   #18836  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Avatar 3D main movie is not interlaced and vc-1. So I am not quite sure about this response being correct. FrimDecode is decoding this movie so I bit confused at this stage.
If FRIM is being used, then that AVS file is doing nothing anyway. But I still don't see how it could be pointing to an MKV -- I'll go back and look.
Old 14th January 2014, 18:45   #18837  |  Link
HWK

Jdobbs, Can you also check why BD-RB is extracting all subtitle stream (6) in case of avatar. Even though I want English only in final output. This one doesn't include one with 80mb + size.
Old 14th January 2014, 18:56   #18838  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limobar View Post
I did "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2" and got the exact same artifacts I got with "Epic", using PowerDVD 12. It's the 3D part that has the artifacts. The 2D part is clean.

Can you provide more info about GPU and system?
Old 14th January 2014, 18:58   #18839  |  Link
DarWun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarWun View Post
I completed a rebuild of both Dredd 3D and Hugo 3D to BD-25 without FRIMEncode failing. I'm going to go back and retry a rebuild of Hugo 3D to BD-9 this evening to see if the video encode fails like it did in my first attempt. I'll post back with my findings.
Another update. After having success with a rebuild of Hugo 3D to BD-25, I retried a rebuild to BD-9. The video encode failed on three separate attempts. This may not have anything to do with the failures, but BD-Rebuilder Priority was set on idle and I was doing other CPU/GPU intensive things on the PC while the rebuild was happening (i.e. playing Civilization 5). The reason I mention this is that when I ran two BD-9 rebuilds of the same movie with different quality settings in batch mode overnight, they both completed successfully. I usually run rebuilds in the background while doing other things on the PC without an issue.
Old 14th January 2014, 19:02   #18840  |  Link
HWK

Hmm, interesting find. So it seems OS is having difficulty locating CPU time to applications or it would seem so with game. What is even more interesting is I am gamer as well and never came across such a thing.