Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 2nd January 2021, 07:07   #1  |  Link
stax76

Looking for a solution of a common file management problem

I'm using Windows File Explorer in dark mode and noticed that for certain types of files I have 2 common use cases.

Example Image files, jpg, png etc.
------------------------------------------

1. Watching the image with an image viewer app, like mpv.
2. Editing the image with an image editing app, like paint.net

Scripts, Powershell, Python, Lua etc.
---------------------------------------------

1. Executing the script.
2. Editing the script, for instance with VS Code.

For ps scripts and any other text file types, my default file association is VS Code, and for execution I use Open with++, KeyLauncher and Windows Terminal. I'm very happy with the KeyLauncher solution and Windows Terminal but find the Open with++ solution inefficient for very frequent operations. What I would like to try is the following:

When I double-click a ps1 (or py) file in File Explorer, or press enter, VS Code starts to edit the file, now comes the trick, if I double-click or press enter while the Ctrl key is pressed, I want the script to be executed instead. I checked if Explorer opens it with Ctrl+Enter, and it does.

It's probably not difficult to build a tool that does what I want, it should not take more than a few hours. I already have built something related in the past:

WinAppLauncher

What I would like to ask however is if something similar or related already exists? Not necessary using File Explorer but also other file management tools.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2021, 00:06   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Could AutoHotKey be of any help ?
Old 7th January 2021, 08:18   #3  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
Could AutoHotKey be of any help ?
Maybe, AutoHotKey and AutoIt are very useful and powerful tools, I typically use AutoIt, for instance for my global shortcuts or to interact with dialogs in powershell.

I've worked on this idea and gave up because there were too many obstacles, for instance Ctrl+double-click did not work and the shell would not allow a generic wrapper app, the app must be changed for every file extension including an icon. It appeared simple but turned out to be tricky.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote