Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th April 2016, 20:27   #37621  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
1080p sources have 1.5x more pixels to process.
Actually it's 1080p is 1.5 bigger in both directions, so that would be 2.25x more pixels. For most upscaling algorithms this wouldn't affect computation time much, but NNEDI3 always doubles the image, so the computation time is proportional to input size.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 22:07   #37622  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Actually it's 1080p is 1.5 bigger in both directions, so that would be 2.25x more pixels. For most upscaling algorithms this wouldn't affect computation time much, but NNEDI3 always doubles the image, so the computation time is proportional to input size.
Yes, 1.5x is the scaling factor. My mistake. But I think NNEDI3 was applied to chroma upscaling not image upscaling, so that shouldn't matter.

Last edited by Warner306; 28th April 2016 at 22:11.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 00:30   #37623  |  Link
Magik Mark

What would be the ideal setting if you want the output to be as natural as possible? Considering the hardware under my signature.

Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 00:42   #37624  |  Link
Asmodian

Natural? That is very subjective. I might suggest Jinc3+AR as low artifact and not too soft or sharp, I like Reconstruction soft for chroma upscaling too. Also maybe test how you like Mitchell-Netravali, Catmull-Rom and Bicubic 75. The defaults (maybe with all trade quality for performance options disabled) are a good starting point too.
Old 29th April 2016, 02:25   #37625  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Natural? That is very subjective. I might suggest Jinc3+AR as low artifact and not too soft or sharp, I like Reconstruction soft for chroma upscaling too. Also maybe test how you like Mitchell-Netravali, Catmull-Rom and Bicubic 75. The defaults (maybe with all trade quality for performance options disabled) are a good starting point too.

Thanks for your thought! Natural in the context of ISF (Imaging Science Foundation). I would definitely try those settings. So far tried sxbr 100 with sr 1. Tried reconstruction as well. Setting SR 1 gives more ISF feel.
Old 29th April 2016, 05:01   #37626  |  Link
JarrettH

Is SuperRes at a value of 1 really worth it? I don't start to see the pop/feeling of depth until I put it at 2-3. I'm using it on 720p to 1080p. I also have a matte screen (maybe it's due to that)

What do you mean by ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) feel? I did quickly look it up, but I don't understand the reference
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 06:04   #37627  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Yes, 1.5x is the scaling factor. My mistake. But I think NNEDI3 was applied to chroma upscaling not image upscaling, so that shouldn't matter.
360p chroma to 720p (720p source) is way easier than 540p chroma to 1080p (1080p source)
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 09:07   #37628  |  Link
James Freeman

madshi, the 10,000 nit HDR setting will not respect my selection and clip the highlights.
It also exhibits random behavior when pausing the video or resizing the window.
There is some unstable interaction between the Metadata and the selected nit peak setting.
When I select 10,000 nit I need to see all the 64-940 range without madVR clipping, stretching, or compressing anything, even if above 1000 nit input (metadata peak, step 721) there is no content.

Happens with the official HDR demo videos or my videos.

EDIT:
It happens with all peak nit settings is madVR.
Just pause and unpause the video several times.

Last edited by James Freeman; 29th April 2016 at 16:24.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 09:29   #37629  |  Link
RyuzakiL

Windows 10+AMD Crimson+MadVR

Hello currently i'm using Windows 8.1+MadVR+AMD Crimson 16.4.2, I previously use the last AMD Catalyst and so far it seems color reproduction was superb but now on AMD Crimson since the settings that control the video are not found/available in AMD Crimson, does MadVR ignores the hidden settings pre-defined by AMD Crimson?

Coz it seems using AMD Crimson colors aren't uniform as opposed to using AMD Catalyst since in I was able to turn off the unnecessary video settings in AMD Catalyst for MadVR.

And does MadVR still runs crap on Windows 10?
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 09:44   #37630  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
Hello currently i'm using Windows 8.1+MadVR+AMD Crimson 16.4.2, I previously use the last AMD Catalyst and so far it seems color reproduction was superb but now on AMD Crimson since the settings that control the video are not found/available in AMD Crimson, does MadVR ignores the hidden settings pre-defined by AMD Crimson?

Coz it seems using AMD Crimson colors aren't uniform as opposed to using AMD Catalyst since in I was able to turn off the unnecessary video settings in AMD Catalyst for MadVR.

And does MadVR still runs crap on Windows 10?
madVR is AFAIK only affected to the crimson video settings when using DXVA scaling or deinterlancing.

go to video select custom and set everything to off or 0. this should avoid if not all processing.

madVR works fine on windows 10.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 17:43   #37631  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Is SuperRes at a value of 1 really worth it? I don't start to see the pop/feeling of depth until I put it at 2-3. I'm using it on 720p to 1080p. I also have a matte screen (maybe it's due to that)

What do you mean by ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) feel? I did quickly look it up, but I don't understand the reference
The idea is to take a 1080p source and downscale it to 720p. Then upscale the same image to 1080p. If you did this with image upscaling alone, the upscaled image would be too soft compared to the original 1080p source. In this case, image sharpening can be used to assist in resizing to add detail lost by upscaling.

Personally, I think SuperRes (1) at 720p -> 1080p is most faithful to the original image without being oversharpened, but this could vary based on the source and display. If want the image to be artificially sharp, use higher values of SuperRes.
Old 29th April 2016, 18:04   #37632  |  Link
Sunspark

Good practice to make sure the sharpness of the display itself is correct before looking to add sharpness in madvr. Lots of displays are oversharpened for some reason at default settings.

lagom.nl has a good sharpness pattern, it will look wrong in most browsers due to scaling just like the chroma test pattern in the first post of this thread, so just save the png image to a folder and open it in Paint instead where it will be correctly displayed at a pixel level. Then open the monitor's menu options and adjust the sharpness up and down until you can get it almost flat grey with your eyes slightly squinted. Of most value with VGA, but I do it with HDMI as well.

On madvr specifically, I noticed the other day that .90.17 is slower responding than .89.18 was in terms of stopping playback and then going to a black screen, or switching from fullscreen exclusive to windowed and back again.. there are longer delays with more visual artifacts (e.g. flickering seek bar, I have now disabled that as well or a momentary outline of the menus on the black background before being redrawn as black as well). I actually ended up having to uncheck the delay 3 seconds option which I didn't have to do before in .89.18.

Edit: I notice that hitting the space bar to start/pause playback when in FSE is showing a frame that has already played so you see a momentary flash of a previous frame before the regular stream continues. Not sure why it is momentarily showing a previous frame on unpausing. Flush settings for FSE are in order, flush, flush&wait (sleep), don't flush, don't flush. Should they be different? Or is this a bug?

Last edited by Sunspark; 29th April 2016 at 19:22. Reason: Added bit about the frame repeat.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 02:08   #37633  |  Link
MrBonk

What happened to the Mad VR settings explanation thread?
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 03:09   #37634  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post
What happened to the Mad VR settings explanation thread?
It was moved because of a lack of replies for an extended period of time. It still exists. I'll bump it now.
Old 30th April 2016, 03:23   #37635  |  Link
MrBonk

Oh well thanks. Why does it disappear completely though? Wouldn't it just be moved further down the list as it got less and less replies?
Since it's a resource of information for what does what. Seems like it would be a good idea to keep it visible no?
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 14:57   #37636  |  Link
Patrik G

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
When I select 10,000 nit I need to see all the 64-940 range without madVR clipping, stretching, or compressing anything,
dont you need a tv with 10 bit panel to see steps above 255?
that panasonic plasma is only 8 bit right ?
sure it will be clipping.

get a 500M instead
true 10bit panel
Patrik G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 16:05   #37637  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post
Why does it disappear completely though?
Sorry for offtopic: look at the bottom of the sub-forum index page:
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Take note of "from the" option (daysprune param.) Doesn't appear like you can change this in options. If you look at the sub-forum frequently maybe perhaps bookmark the page after setting the option you desire.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 16:29   #37638  |  Link
aufkrawall

Or just find it via Google.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 19:36   #37639  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

I was thinking of buying a laptop with desktop GPU GTX980. (Not 980M). My question regarding madVR, is: would an i7-6700K + GTX980 be able to run NNEDI at 256 Neurons and add edge sharpening + edge thinning + debanding + 4K upscaling with AR and sigmoidal light using Jinc ?

I am a bit curious if anyone tried, because I was thinking of getting a P870 from Clkevo, and while it is a power house of a laptop, I am afraid that for using madVR in these conditions, I should probably wait a bit more for the new generation of GPUs to appear. Especially that I will be always upscaling FHD to 4K.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 19:49   #37640  |  Link
sat4all

Any idea why madvr dxva image upscaling is clipping btb and wtw? gpu 0-255, madvr and tv 16-255.
I'm forced to dxva upscaling for 1080p24 > 2160p24 bcs of my intel nuc performances.
sat4all is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling