Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 22nd May 2016, 12:52   #841  |  Link
Sharc

I did a few more tests with x264 and --frame-packing 5, and muxing the frame packed .264 stream to .m2ts with tsMuxeR, setting level 4.1

Encoding:
- x264 encodes the interleaved (combined) source using 1-pass CRF mode, and exits finally with error code 1.
- tsMuxer muxes the encoded .264 stream to .m2ts without error, frame rate = double (47.952fps)

Playback:
- I can watch the 3D .m2ts correctly with bino
- Stereoscopic Player however swaps the views every about half second (??)
- The TV plays the left and right view sequentially (= jittery 2D)

So 3D re-encoding of 3D sources using x264 and --frame-packing 5 seems to work, but playback compatibility is poor (only the bino player works in my case).

Edit:
Some more info on 3D display and HDMI structures is found here:
http://www.spectracal.com/downloads/...the%20Home.pdf

Last edited by Sharc; 24th May 2016 at 19:17.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 13:50   #842  |  Link
BlackSharkfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Have you noticed this ? :

The blurry parallax problem you have experienced might be caused by the missing --frame-packing argument.
I did use that option. In fact the whole point was to try it when it was first introduced. But again.. That was a few years ago, I have not tried encoding anything with frame sequential storage and am not very interested by this format. (As far ad I'm concerend it's a dead end).
I am much more interested in MVC since it's an industry standard. And is supported by pretty much any BluRay3D player. (Including the one I have)

And I am pretty sure the next gen players will probably be able to do 1080p fullSBS HEVC because of all the 4K support.
BlackSharkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 16:17   #843  |  Link
robl45

Is there a guide on how to use this? I want to take makemkv mvc output and compress it for space savings. I understand that this tool appears to be the only way to do that, but I can't seem to a find a GUI for it or any instructions. I would simple like to take the makemkv mvc file and shrink it down with burned in subtitles. Is this possible?
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 13:39   #844  |  Link
tijgert

I read a lot of problems with this transcoder.
I use DVDfab to shrink 3D movies. The problem with that is that the output size can only be set at either BD25 or BD50 with some small disc size variations.
The workaround for this to get the proper output size is a little cumbersome but doable.

1. Rip the 3D movie with MakeMKV.
2. Extract largest audio file as single file as well.
3. Make BD ISO (or file structure) from movie with TSmuxer.
4. Load ISO (or file structure) with DVDfab and set output to BD25 and see what kind of % compression that gives.
5. If you need more compression to obtain your desired file size (animation can be squeezed a lot), mux the extra audio file with MKVtoolnix to moviefile from MakeMKV and make a new ISO with TSmuxer.
6. Repeat step 4 and then 5 until you get the compression ratio you need.
7. Encode.
8. From the encoded ISO extract the movie again with MakeMKV and only select 1 audio stream.

Presto. Smaller 3D movie at the size YOU want.
tijgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 13:51   #845  |  Link
robl45

What do you do for step two to extract? And what do you do about subtitles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijgert View Post
I read a lot of problems with this transcoder.
I use DVDfab to shrink 3D movies. The problem with that is that the output size can only be set at either BD25 or BD50 with some small disc size variations.
The workaround for this to get the proper output size is a little cumbersome but doable.

1. Rip the 3D movie with MakeMKV.
2. Extract largest audio file as single file as well.
3. Make BD ISO (or file structure) from movie with TSmuxer.
4. Load ISO (or file structure) with DVDfab and set output to BD25 and see what kind of % compression that gives.
5. If you need more compression to obtain your desired file size (animation can be squeezed a lot), mux the extra audio file with MKVtoolnix to moviefile from MakeMKV and make a new ISO with TSmuxer.
6. Repeat step 4 and then 5 until you get the compression ratio you need.
7. Encode.
8. From the encoded ISO extract the movie again with MakeMKV and only select 1 audio stream.

Presto. Smaller 3D movie at the size YOU want.
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 05:26   #846  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You can extract the audio from the original BD with tsMuxeR, or from the MKV created at step 1 with mkvtoolnix and gMkvExtractGUI.

Unless you want to keep a lot of subtitle streams, they are light enough to be ignored for the computation of the final file size. Just include them in the MKV in step 1. IMO, the major drawback with that method is that the 3D-Planes are lost during the re-encoding, and therefore the subtitles will not appear at the correct depth.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 22:32   #847  |  Link
tijgert

Extracting any single stream, be it subs, audio or video, can be done with tsMuxer, but also mkvextractgui (I believe there are two forks or something, 1.6.4.1 and 2.2.2.9).
All the original and important streams are ripped in the first pass with MakeMKV, so subs should be at proper depth.

Theoretically you could and any old stream to the mux to enlarge the file and influence the compression ratio, but using the same movie's stream avoids any type of mismatch with length or bitrate or resolution or what not.
tijgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 16:15   #848  |  Link
geheim

Hi,
I have a problem encoding with FRIM. If I encode files with FRIM via commandline the output shows many artefacts on Stereoscopic Player and after muxing to BD with TSMuxer on my Sony BDP.
Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be??

This is an example command-line I use:

FrimDecode -ts -i:h264 00800_3D.m2ts -o \\.\pipe\bdrb.yuv -sw |FRIMEncode -alt 2 -i \\.\pipe\bdrb.yuv -viewoutput -o::mvc "L:\zzz\VID_00000.AVS.264" "L:\zzz\VID_00000.AVS.mvc" -sw -w 1920 -h 1080 -f 23.976 -u 3 -cpbsize 3372 -l 6 -profile high -level 4.1 -vbr 35000 35000 -gop 24 4 0 O -maxdpb 4

Is there any error??

The artefacts are in both base and dependent view, but mostly in dependent view. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
geheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 10:15   #849  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Artefacts were frequent in old versions of the Intel decoder. The bug is fixed now, but if you have the right CPU and you are using an old Intel driver, it might be the culprit. Try to update your drivers or switch to software mode.

Note that this applies to the decoder. I don't know if the encoder has or had the same problem. And, IIRC, the artefacts of the MVC decoder were present in the dependent view only.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 11:56   #850  |  Link
geheim

Thanks @r0lZ!
I do not have an Intel CPU, therefore I'm already using Software mode.

Interesting is that FRIM works fine for me if I encode BD50 to BD25 with BD-Rebuilder. However it is also not working if I encode SBS MKV to MVC with BDRebuilder.
As I want to hardcode subtitles on my MVC encodes (in order to Keep depth), I can't use BDRebuilder.

I encode to Alternate MKV with hardcoded Subs using your great tool BD3D2MK3D and now I wanted to encode this file to MVC using FRIM. This gives me the artefacts, I tried both FrimSource and FRIMDecode and also DircectShowSource (via avs2yuv). Everything gives me those artefacts....

If anyone has any further ideas I'd really appreciate it
geheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 20:44   #851  |  Link
andresayang

Porting to linux ??

Hi,

I know this is a Huge question:

Is their any way for you (Videofan3d) to port this lib under Linux (Intel SDK is available under linux) or to make it open source (for the community to port it)

Many thanks for reply

Rgds
andresayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 20:21   #852  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresayang View Post
Is their any way for you (Videofan3d) to port this lib under Linux (Intel SDK is available under linux) or to make it open source (for the community to port it)
Hi,

I don't use any Linux distribution, and as far as I know, Adobe Premiere is not running on Linux - so there is no reason to port FRIM tools to Linux environment.
videofan3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 23:24   #853  |  Link
andresayang

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofan3d View Post
Hi,

I don't use any Linux distribution, and as far as I know, Adobe Premiere is not running on Linux - so there is no reason to port FRIM tools to Linux environment.
Well, ok, if it is only suppose to work for Adobe Premiere, I understand ! (But adobe première is not really a "free tool").
Old 16th November 2016, 00:04   #854  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresayang View Post
Well, ok, if it is only suppose to work for Adobe Premiere, I understand ! (But adobe première is not really a "free tool").
Well, my point was to enable 3D-MVC encoding to create your own regular 3D videos (BD3D), and preferably as output from Adobe Premiere timeline (even if certain workaround is needed, as Premiere doesn't support native stereoscopic processing). Adobe's products are probably most often used tools for semi-professional video editing on Windows platform (3D video belongs to at least semi-pro level). And I guess there is nothing like this on Linux platform....

Please note:
- for MPEG2 encoding you can use HCEnc - it is free and probably better quality than Intel Media codec (does anybody still use MPEG2?)
- for h.264 encoding you can use x264 - it is free and top image quality
- for 3D-MVC ... there is no cheap or free 3D-MVC encoder on the market, but Intel Media, i.e. FRIM :-)

Remark:
Re-encoding and squeezing of original BD3D is nonsense!
3D video presentation requires BIG screen (80" is minimum, optimum is 100" and more). And big screen implies request for top image quality. Any re-encoding represents degradation - for what? for saving few GB diskspace?. Therefore I consider it wrong and useless approach.
Therefore I don't see a reason spending an effort on porting FRIM to Linux.
videofan3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 21:19   #855  |  Link
andresayang

Quote:
Remark:
Re-encoding and squeezing of original BD3D is nonsense!
Well I do agree about re-encoding, but when we need video "image" editing we can not do it without going down to uncompressed files (especially for 3D)

Quote:
3D video presentation requires BIG screen (80" is minimum, optimum is 100" and more). And big screen implies request for top image quality. Any re-encoding represents degradation - for what? for saving few GB diskspace?. Therefore I consider it wrong and useless approach.
Well not exactly true about the sceen size, I have a 46" screen, and (this is my personal point of view) 3D is better on my screen that it is in theater. "Saving few GB" is not exactly the point (I own a very huge nas server where I also run my apps).

Quote:
Therefore I don't see a reason spending an effort on porting FRIM to Linux.
Well except if you have fun when programming ... you probably right. It was only a simple question as was "if you want to" no major issues, I can add dual boot on my server to use windows apps !

Rgds
Old 30th December 2016, 08:02   #856  |  Link
Anour

Does anyone faced with artifacts when playing through Dune Solo?
MVC-3D, tsMuxeR (iso)
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 22:51   #857  |  Link
Cedvano

Hi everyone,

I would like re-encode all my sbs (mkv) files into mvc (combined) with Frimencode or other software.
Someone have the command line to do this ?

Thank you very much.
Cedvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 23:28   #858  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedvano View Post
Hi everyone,

I would like re-encode all my sbs (mkv) files into mvc (combined) with Frimencode or other software.
Someone have the command line to do this ?

Thank you very much.
You can do this with BD-Rebuilder.
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:52   #859  |  Link
Cedvano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
You can do this with BD-Rebuilder.
Ok, thanks. That's work with TAB too ?
Cedvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:04   #860  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedvano View Post
Ok, thanks. That's work with TAB too ?
I don't think so. But you could make it a Feature Request for BD-RB.....

Tags
encoders, mvc