Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th January 2013, 17:00   #1  |  Link
magnatique

FFMpeg DVD .iso to new format

Hey Guys, not sure if this is the proper forum but here it is since mp4 is the final product !

I am trying to automate some encoding processes.. we have a lot of video sources that were on DVDs, they were captured to Isos with dvd decrypter or similar decoder... (not hollywood dvds or anything illegal don't worry )

I am trying to get everything done web based with some admins and use FFMpeg for the process.

The idea is for this workflow... perhaps you have some better ways to do it, or suggestions? I'd like to hear what you guys thing / have to say / can point me to.

THe Idea is to find a quick and efficient ways to grab scenes from a dvd and encode them for the web in a few X264 formats.

Unless someone has a good method to encode specific scenes from iso to x264 via ffpmeg, I was thinking of exporting a frame every second, then when a person visually notices a scene change from the previews (from a web admin) , they could click and see where the cutoff is from to determine frames in / outs for each scene.

Then I would like to use ffmpeg to specify in/outs and encode to the desired formats FROM The iso directly.

Is that possible?

or would it be best to just arbitrarily export the full length of the ISO to a full quality mp4 and THEN specifiying the ins/outs from that source instead of the iso?

I can do the whole ffmpeg encodes from source --> result fine, it's really the ISO part that's got me puzzled... I am planing on doing this on Unix/Linux since they are webservers and what not, so any info on that would be greatly appreciated... or if you have ideas on how to extract the scenes automatically from the iso perhaps instead of my in/out method I sugested, it'd be great
magnatique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 17:23   #2  |  Link
J_Darnley

ffmpeg cannot read ISO image files. It might have been better to use DVD Decrypter to rip the titles into VOB files which it can read. You could try mplayer/mencoder and their DVD reading features to get the titles out of the files.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 18:10   #3  |  Link
magnatique

Yeha initially, the guy who was supposed to get our Application coded said Iso's were not a problem... but he ended up disapearing from planet earth hehhe

But I could always have someone go back and extract from those isos to their respective folders, if that's the way to go... that's not a deal breaker

any suggestions/ideas on how to

1- do scene selection
2- encode from the dvd files --> x264 with our idfferent formats?
Old 17th January 2013, 23:01   #4  |  Link

[bump after re-open, user clarified rule 6 concern]
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 23:12   #5  |  Link
magnatique

Thanks Neuron2

I just wanted to officially say that we have all rights to do everything we do with those dvds and that it is in no way against any copyright laws
Old 17th January 2013, 23:21   #6  |  Link
magnatique

Code:
 mencoder dvd:// -dvd-device source_dvd.iso -vf yadif=o,format=i420 -ovc copy -oac pcm -really-quiet -o - |  ffmpeg -i - -ss 300 -t 300s -s 640x480 -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 128000 -vcodec libx264 -vprofile baseline -crf 20 -level 3 -bufsize 3000000 -maxrate 2000000 tempiphone2e.mp4

Right now, this is where I am at roughly if I want to go straight to mp4... but linux has me limited as far as color corrections go (with tweaks/smoothlevels, Ylevels, Degrain etc... that we usually do through AVS and a visual preview with AvsP. if I could port that to a web admin that'd be ideal)

but I'd like to work in a scene detection of some kind for each dvd scene..., if I could export automatic scenes to avi that'd be best.

other than that, my current semi/auto method would be to first copy the iso to avi:
Code:
mencoder dvd:// -dvd-device source_dvd.iso -ovc copy -oac pcm -o file.avi
then get that back on our windows machine and use our tools to generate an avs to do color correction/degrain/etc... encode that to our usual video sources and then use our automated encode files from ffmpeg and etc...

any iput is greatly appreciated
Old 18th January 2013, 02:05   #7  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
any iput is greatly appreciated
I'm totally confused, if what you are aiming for.

Are you aiming for:
a. a fully automated method to convert DVD -> XY, that means you know beforehand how/what color correction&co you want to apply.
or
b. a semi automated conversion, where you 1st open the DVD/iso and then someone manually decides the filtering&co and later a encoder does the encoding&filtering based on the user settings.

also https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/442 might be interesting.
Old 18th January 2013, 02:39   #8  |  Link
magnatique

actually I see libavfilter added scene detection, and it is added to the 1.0 branch of ffmpeg... I can't really find documentation yet but I'll get it updated on our servers and test..

I think I am going to be wanting to go semi/automated...

If I could have a web based avsp style preview with an option to modify an AVS, then the rest automated that would be optimal

Right now, I have built a php script, it finds the *.iso, runs mplayer to find how many titles, then mencoder to copy audio/video to avi.

then I will be downloading the AVI's to our windows machine, run some .bat that will create avs files for all dvd files.

then someone will open up all avs, trim where scene starts/ends , save as a new file. then edit the tweak/Levels parameters.

then another .bat to generate a encode batch file to do our sources and then from there other avs/ffmpeg for our web formats.

at this point, bar finding a method to easily preview avs from a web interface (wouldn't know where to begin) I guess if I could find how to accurately get scenes out of the iso's in an automated step through ffmpeg, that'd save a few steps.

if anyone has an idea for avs-to-web-preview from a unix box, I'm all ears and couple probably pay for the time to dev
Old 19th January 2013, 07:17   #9  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
If I could have a web based avsp style preview with an option to modify an AVS, then the rest automated that would be optimal
Why not use some remote desktop ( or VNC) solution?

Quote:
if anyone has an idea for avs-to-web-preview from a unix box, I'm all ears and couple probably pay for the time to dev
(got no time or motivation to implement it, but) if it's on a linux box using vapoursynth sounds like a good idea
+ since you use avisynth/vapoursynth , finding scene changes through avisynth/vapoursynth might also be an option (iirc. there are some scene detection scripts out there)

Cu Selur
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:32   #10  |  Link
magnatique

remote desktop is a little slow , besides I am trying for a solution where we could leave all content sources/outputs on a single offsite server to help with remote workers (best case scenario off course. at the moment, we RDP and do on location at the office)

I'll be honnest, it's the first time I hear of Vapoursynth (and I am also not very much used to unix with avisynth or what not)

would you care to give me a bit of info on this or perhaps point me towards more info / guide or what not?

I like the idea though

right now we've been using avisynth on our windows boxes to do color correction / manipulations for the last 5-8 years, encode back to MP4 sources (dvds or otherwize HD scenes) , which we use as new sources to encode anything for the web.

Now, my goal was to send all our mp4 sources to our unix boxes and use the boxes to encode from mp4 (without avisynth , just loading the mp4 with ffmpeg to encode)

But if I could do the AVS manipulation frm those boxes, it'd open a few options

any input on this is again appreciated as I am in a learning mode again hehe