Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 21st November 2007, 18:36   #1  |  Link
kylara

Extensive XVid artifacting -- a B&W issue?

Hi,

I'm trying to encode a black-and-white movie using XVid, and I'm getting severe artifacting (to the point where certain shots 'repeat' themselves several times, as the file catches up to itself).

Is this a B&W issue, or should that not matter? My settings line up with many of the recommendations in the export settings thread.

-AzS
kylara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 19:36   #2  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

It might be a decoder issue. Can you post a small sample?
Old 21st November 2007, 20:06   #3  |  Link
kylara

File's pretty big (even about 20 seconds is nearly 25 mb) -- filesize limit here is 300k for a .zip file...

The artifacts happen primarily on movement... I'm encoding a 720x720 square pixel video (yes, it's a weird size)

Profile is unrestricted, as a result. I'm encoding "single pass" (other encoding types don't work, for some reason -- I get error messages). Target Quantizer is 1 for maximum quality. Quality preset is "General Purpose", though I'm going to try the "Real Time" preset now, too...

-AzS
Old 21st November 2007, 20:44   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

@kylara

Hi!

I wonder if you might be seeing the effects of a multi-angle DVD.

What is the Region and Title of your original DVD?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 20:56   #5  |  Link
kylara

Nut sure what the region is, though I imagine it's region 1. The movie, though, is from the late 1930s, so I doubt there are multiple angles at work...

I disabled BVOP (not sure what it is), and I'm getting a somewhat smoother picture, but there's still a lot of artifacting (the blocks are smaller, though...)

-AzS
Old 21st November 2007, 21:02   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I doubt there are multiple angles at work
Stranger things have been known to happen ;>}

So again, what is the Region (It should be on the DVD and or/the packaging) and the Title of the DVD?
Old 21st November 2007, 21:17   #7  |  Link
kylara

region 1,

it's "It's a Wonderful Life"
Old 22nd November 2007, 00:58   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

If you have the original single disc version, play it and you'll note that the film is of poor quality - and this probably leads to the issue you've described.

On the other hand, if you the 2 disc "Collectors' Edition", you have a wonderfully cleaned up version of the B&W film, that should give you the problems you've described, plus a colorized version...
Old 16th July 2019, 20:59   #9  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Old thread but thanks is in order to Setarip_old for above comment.

I bought a copy of PAL DVD "It's A Wonderful Life" on Wednesday, and as it was a pretty lousy conversion I did search on it and found this thread.
Having seen Setarip_Old comment
Quote:
On the other hand, if you the 2 disc "Collectors' Edition", you have a wonderfully cleaned up version of the B&W film
I did a search online for the Restored & Colorised version [which is actually the Platinum Anniversary Edition - the title is on blue background (the lousy one is the collectors edition, green tinted greyscale cover picture).
So, yesterday I bought the two disk Platinum Editon and is much better B&W version + colorised verion is done from that better restored B&W.
The lousy version also has two documentaries not found on the Platinum version, so I guess I'm happy to keep that one too.

Here, link to Cex/Webuy (In the UK, 2nd user DVD+Bluray + I.T. related stuff):- https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=it...list&inStock=1
The lousy one is the green tinted one shown first [at time of posting - if not shown, then untick "In Stock Only" to show items no longer in stock].

Here, 3 images of lousy, restored B&W and colorized.

And again thanks, SO.

EDIT: The colorized one that I have has the title over a blue background but the colorized cover @ above link one is presumably the same (has both B&W and color).
The Lousy one seems to have been converted from NTSC version, rather than directly from the film.
EDIT: Looks like there is a lousy version + a good verion of the BluRay too at above link.

EDIT: From IMDB, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038650...ef_=tt_trv_alt
Quote:
The film was colorized three times. The first colorized version of the film was produced by Hal Roach Studios (now Sonar Entertainment),
the second by Republic Pictures. A third colorization of the film was produced by Legend Films for Paramount, the film's current copyright holder, in 2007.
The one I have is the 3rd colorized version by Legend Films.
EDIT: This is exactly the one I have, (there seems to be quite a selection of DVD covers/releases):- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Wonderf.../dp/B01LQ7RBTI
Runtime 2:05:29.32 secs PAL speedup. [lousy one 2:10:13.56 PAL]

EDIT: Also got me a restored Anniversary edition of The Wizard of Oz, interesting documentary and good restoration job.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 17th July 2019 at 15:13.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote